Chimney & Fireplaces/Wood Stove Insert

I have a Napoleon 1402 wood stove insert that we love.  Upon further inspection I found it was improperly installed in a 1979 Majestic prefab box (box was cut to get it in).

I'd love to re-use the 1402 and am looking for cost effective ways of doing so.  Right now I am considering pulling the insert, ripping out the Majestic and replacing with a factory built fireplace that will fit the 1402 and putting the 1402 back in.  Assuming I can get the continuous 6" liner up there it seems like it should work.  

Problem is that that fireplace manufacturers say to check with Napoleon and Napoleon says to check with fireplace mfr.  

Does this seem like the best solution?  Is it safe?
What other alternatives am I missing?  Ripping it all out and replacing with an EPA, high-fficiency fireplace was my other option, but it seems awful pricey and I'd like to re-use the  1402 if possible.

Thanks for your time,

Hello Dan, that is a very dangerous install you have, you really can't replace the fireplace box with out replacing every thing top to bottom, Perhaps you should remove the pre fab fireplace and chimney all together and install a new wood burning stove and new SS chimney in that chase for it. That Insert should be into a masonry fireplace if I am correct and in a prefab you take a big risk with your home and family. I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified