Chimney & Fireplaces/removing fireplace from two flue chimney

Question
we have purchased a 50yr old garrison colonial with a fireplace in the middle of the first floor.  we would like to remove the fireplace and open up the Kitchen/Dining/Living rooms.  The house is heated with a oil fired steam boiler.....so there is a second flue coming up from the basement into the same chimney.  Is it possible for us to remove the fireplace/firebox/hearth from the first floor and leave the furnace flue standing?  How does the fireplace box and flue get closed off?

Answer
Hello Janet, I do not know if I would try to remove "just part of a chimney" as it maybe holding up more than you know till it falls over, I would drop it completely and then run the oil up the out side of the home in a All Fuel Chimney  (double a lll Stainless Steel) or with in the home. I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
James  

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball