Chimney & Fireplaces/Replace prefab woodburning fireplace with wood burning woodstove

I live in Maine.  I have a Temco pre-fab fireplace / chimney system in a house that was built in 2001.  The chimney is outside the house within a framed structure that also houses the furnace chimney.  I want to remove the Temco fireplace, close up the wall, stone face it, and install a Jotul F400 woodstove.  Jotul indicates the chimney pipe system must meet UL 103 (HT).  I can't find any documentation that indicates what the UL listing for the Temco chimney components is.  There is a reference to an MH10105 report; but that just sends me back to Temco.  The chimney is a double walled 8" flue; the Jotul has a 6" connector.  In your experience, will I need to site clear the whole chimney system and start new?  Options?

Hello Kris, you would have to remove the entire fireplace and pipe system and install a new All Fuel SS chimney in that chase, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified