Chimney & Fireplaces/Fireplace Chamber Parging & Liner

We were told we need to parge the chimmey fire box and put in a liner as there is no liner.  Fireplace was built in 1977.  The chimney sweep said they did not need to clean the chimney.
Can we install a liner and skip the parging.  We want to use vented
gas logs??
Thank you

Hello Marie, in most cases it is the Smoke Chamber that is un parged, (several solutions to fix that), but it should have a liner built in 77? In most cases a fireplace liner is 10" round+ so any thing smaller and the fireplace would not work right.
I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified