Chimney & Fireplaces/Fireplace Chamber Parging & Liner

Question
We were told we need to parge the chimmey fire box and put in a liner as there is no liner.  Fireplace was built in 1977.  The chimney sweep said they did not need to clean the chimney.
Can we install a liner and skip the parging.  We want to use vented
gas logs??
Thank you

Answer
Hello Marie, in most cases it is the Smoke Chamber that is un parged, (several solutions to fix that), but it should have a liner built in 77? In most cases a fireplace liner is 10" round+ so any thing smaller and the fireplace would not work right.
I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
James  

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball