Chimney & Fireplaces/Fix the chimney damper

Need to know how to replace is  chimney damper but my house was build 1961 so can you tell if I can do it my self or I have to pay same body thank you

Hello Christina, couple of things, 1st is the damper still there? if so you might be able to get it back in the track by simply holding the damper with the attachment point in front of you and lift one side up through the damper and then the other and drop it in(kind of like putting the lid on a shoe box if you had to install it through a hole in the bottom, from the bottom) then attach the damper.If the damper is missing you can buy a Top Mount damper (google) and install it on top with included silicone, drop the cable down reach up inside and pull it all the way into the fire box, drill 2 holes in the masonry and install the bracket and cut cable to length, or you could have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps, keep me posted

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified