Chimney & Fireplaces/Orange Drip

I have a strange orangish sort of waxy or oily stuff dripping around the outside of my furnace chimney into my basement.  Do you have any idea what it could be?  
My house is from the 1920's, and a new roof was put on about 7 years ago.  I've lived there since 1987 and have never seen this.  The furnace is gas.  I live in north-central Ohio and this has been the coldest winter I can remember.  When I first discovered the leaking into my basement I went to the attic and found that it seems to be coming from the roof, and the substance is running all the way down to the basement, and on all four sides of the chimney.
I looked online (which is how I found your site) but I'm not finding where such a thing is addressed anywhere.  I don't know who to call about it since I don't know what it is.  Would it be related to the relatively new roof - so should I call them because the roof is under warrantee?  
Is the substance dangerous?
Please help if you can!
Thank you!

Hello Barbara, not sure what you have there, it sounds like it is soft, so maybe roof related, but I don't know any thing from a roof that looks like awe hat you describe, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified