Chimney & Fireplaces/Wood/coal stovepipe connection

Question
James,
I could not find any reference to this particular subject.
Our 9KW output wood/coal stove is connected to a steel lined, insulated and capped chimney. The stovepipe connection is horizontal at 18" from the floor.
I want to upgrade to a 16KW stove but the rear connection to the stove at center would be 23".
Can I safely make such a downward sloping connection?
Thanks in anticipation.

Answer
Hello Noel, NFPA 211 Code states all "smoke pipe must have 1/4" of rise per foot" so no you must go "up hill", if you did this you could cause a fire, void your home owners insurance or even death.
I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps
James
Sorry, James

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball