You are here:

Chimney & Fireplaces/True Heat HS 36, outside air control


Air Control Handle
Air Control Handle  
QUESTION: My installation includes glass doors. The outside air control handle is located in the upper left front corner of the firebox enclosure. It is composed of a bent rod in the shape of an a squared off, inverted "U" with one leg of the "U" passing behind the "fire brick" and is evidently the "pivot point" of the control. The other (accessible) leg of the "U" ends in a short section of the rod bent inward at a 90 degree angle. This short piece of the rod is what the user grasps to swing the rod left / right through an approximate 180 degree arc to presumably close / open the outside air "valve" itself. My question is which direction of movement of the control handle (fully left or fully right) opens the outside air "valve". Thank you in advance for your help.

ANSWER: Hello William, With out the owners manual, it might be trial and error, I checked the NCSG library and they only True Heat unit they had listed did not show it's operation. I might guess front open, back closed.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you James,

1. how would I go about trying to get hold of the owners manual?

2. is there a way to test this? perhaps starting a fire to generate a draft and then using some sort of smoke generator near the vent on the outside of the house, manipulating the control to see if any smoke is drawn into the fire box?

I am selling my house and was never even aware of the control handle's existence. During an inspection, for a Cert of Occupancy, the local municipal building inspector moved the control back and forth thinking it was the damper control and I don't know what position the control handle was in before the inspector started moving it. I feel a responsibility to leave the new owner with information on the operation of this control.

Welcome back William, 1)you can try local work stove stores, or the internet (I tried the National Chimney Sweep Guild, manual library (over 400 manuals) but could not find it.
2) this might be a good idea, they sell Smoke Bombs (google) that look like firecrackers, test every thing first.
3) I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James Ball


I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more


over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]