Chimney & Fireplaces/Removing a fireplace

Question
QUESTION: We have a fireplace in our living room that takes up 8' of exterior wall and we would like to remove it to put in windows. Can we remove this ourselves or do I need a contractor? The house is a ranch style house and the outside brick measures 8' wide and inside is 9'. Please any advice would be welcome. We are having the roof replaced in a few weeks and would like to get started asap.

ANSWER: Hello Ray, if I understand you correctly, you want to take down the whole chimney and lose the fireplace completely? (Be sure your heating flue is not in it), then (not being a builder) you should be able to but I would consult with a builder for supporting and structure.
If the Heating/Hot water are in that chimney then I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help. (Maybe either way)
Hope this helps
James

QUESTION: We had an expert look at it about 3 months ago. He told us that the liners are broke and the fireplace is unusable and that it is not structure to the house. Is there a way I can check to make sure it is not structure?

Answer
Welcome back Ray, you say you had some one look at it and they said the "Liners" where cracked that would tell me there are 2 or more flues, does you  heating flue use the same chimney? If so then you may not be able to take it down, (unless you install an All Fuel chimney, Stainless Steel) might be time to get a Certified Sweep in to take a first hand look, as far as Structural you might have to have an Engineer take a look.
Hope t his helped
James

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball