Chimney & Fireplaces/Covering vents

I have what I believe is an old Heatilator with 4 vents in the brick on the front.  The vents are about 6" square.  There is a small fan in one of the bottom vents that manually turns on and off.  Several years ago, I needed a flu liner and after visiting a fireplace shop, they told me it was safe to install gas logs without replacing the liner and I decided to do this. I would like to reface the fireplace and cover the brick and old vents.  I would be using either tile or stone.  Is this safe?

Hello Carol, if you are burning any thing in that fireplace the flue should be check and any issues corrected, the vents should not be covered unless you remove the Metal firebox and install firebrick and seal those "air channels" that the vents connect to. I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified