Chimney & Fireplaces/fireplace insert
James: I put in an century cw2900 firepklace insert the middle of Nov.2013. I put a stainless steel linner with fire rated insulation glued. I am an experienced contractor with many years fireplace work. I had an insert for 24 years but it didnt have pipe or insulation. I had to replace it as I hace COPD. This unit was good until a week ago, now it has a lot of fumes. I called the mfg and they were no help.. I had one of my employeses valcum out the liner but not any better What is my next step? Thanks: SAM
Hello Sam, ok has the Liner been cleaned? if not then you would need to run a wire brush through it as a Vacuum will never remove the Creosote from the walls of the liner, and if that does not fix it there might be some thing else going on called Negative Pressure here is a link http://www.csia.org/homeowner-resources/how_your_chimney_really_works.aspx
I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps