Chimney & Fireplaces/Asbestos Chimney

I have a home built in 1956.  The chimney stack for the furnace contains asbestos. When I am on the roof it appears to be flaking or breaking off. I know that can be very expensive to remove completely in order to replace with a new one.  I was wondering if there is something like a tube, you can just slide over it and then caulk it to the roof and then put on a new cap and base? Or if there are any other alternatives to full replacement?

Hello Joy, Asbestos is not harmful till you disturb it, then you have a problem and you contaminate your self, your cloths, your home and any one near by, this a job best left the some one that removes a Asbestos and then, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
this is one time you should n to take a short cut.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified