Chimney & Fireplaces/Fireplace conversion to two sided gas

I have a one sided wood fireplace and want to convert it to a two sided gas fireplace to link a living room and a sun room.  The chimney is brick, 5' wide by 2.5' deep.  The firebox is 36" wide by 12" deep.  Is this practical or affordable.  I am willing to contract the work to a good mason.

Hello, Bob, I would start with the local building department, and a good mason, (may need an engineer also) in most cases the flue (air channel that runs up in side the chimney) is only sized for 1 side not 2, and in most cases will not function properly and smoke, glass doors on both sides can help. I did a quick calculation based on the size opening you gave me and if you make it the same on the other side, what you should have now 14" round flue, so the entire chimney may need to be rebuilt.
hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified