Chimney & Fireplaces/woodstove

Hi James,I have a chaleureux woodstove model 500'250. I wanted to know if the distance from wall to stove is less if there is a noncombustible material on the wall.

Hello Trish, all clearances listed in the owners manual and/or rear tag, state "from Combustible Materials " to "Reduce" those clearances there are requirements, they can be found in NFPA211 or your local building department will have them but a "Brick wall" behind the stove with out proper clearance "1" ventilated air space behind the brick" did not reduce those clearances and if you did have that 1" air space it would only reduce it so much. if you do not have the tag or owners manual, the building department should be able to help with those clearances (no listed stove), how to abstain them and what you need to do for safe operations.
You could have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified