Chimney & Fireplaces/Parging smoke chamber

An inspection of the chimney revealed that we need to have the smoke chamber parged (along with other work).  We had two companies come out to provide estimates.  One is planning to parge the chamber using spray foam.  The other company is charging much more, but insisting that they will be applying Chamber Coat which is more expensive and labor intensive.  They insist that: "the spray in is vastly inferior as it has none of the insulation quality or aerodynamic improvements of chamber coat, and carries a much lesser warranty."  I am wondering if you agree with their assessment and if it's worth spending an extra $1000?  Thank you!

Hello Claire, Both products are made by the same company Heat Shield and both have their strengths, same warranties, the Spray Foam might be better if you have a very tall smoke chamber and chamber Coat on very irregular smoke chambers, the Chamber Coat can be built up to a proper thickness and smooth the irregularity's out but must be "thrown" up by hand and is a bit more time and labor intensive but might be the better choice if you have a very old home, very irregular smoke chamber. as it can help with insulation and aerodynamics of the smoke chamber.
I would get a price from both on the Chamber Coat and see when you get.
I use both for the reasons I have explained, ChamberCoat I do charge more for.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified