Chimney & Fireplaces/Gas insert / tall chimney

Question
We'd like to put a gas insert in our existing fireplace but have a chimney that's about 35'.  Some units say they can extend to 40' but i've heard there can be operational problems with chimneys as tall as ours.  Is it likely to be a problem?

If so, is there any way to use a direct vent insert and have the exhaust exit horizontally out through the chimney?

Answer
Hello Scott, I do not have that much experience on the inserts them selfs (that would be more for a Wood Stove Store), on gas inserts you have to follow their installation instructions, and if that manufacture states "will not work in a chimney taller than 40'" I would listen.
as far as venting Horizontal, you would have to find a unit that will allow that and then open up the masonry of the chimney to get that exhaust vent to the out side.
I hope this helped

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball