Chimney & Fireplaces/Old style heatolator fireplaces

It is hard to find someone that sells the old style heatolator / zero clearance fireplaces.  The ones that have vents on the side to circulate cold air around the firebox and discharge it on top.  Even the company Heatilator doesn't sell them.  Is there a reason why they are no longer popular and why many manufacturers do not sell them any more?    Thank you

Hello John, if they are sold I would say a Stone yard (that sells cement , stone, and masonry supplies) I have not seen a new one ever and some of the issues I have seen are Rusted out, Warping and movement (as they heat up the expand and  move) sot there is always a gap around the opening where it meets the stone.
Not sure if they make them any more,  I would recommend against it if they did.
Do a regular fireplace and install an Insert.
Hope this helped

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified