Chimney & Fireplaces/Sweating Chimney

Question
fireplace
fireplace  
James,
Previous owners used wood and then converted to gas logs with a direct vent chimney.  They had a rain leak so we installed a new roof and new flashing around the chimney and the problem was solved-no more wet dry wall.  Gas logs were broken so we installed a solid block cover on the chimney top and inserted an electric fireplace.  Unfortunately, the chimney is sweating so much that our fireplace is rusty after only 4 years of use and there is evidence of water on the brick inside the chimney.  We would love to install gas logs and a new fireplace mantle, but we need to solve the water issue first.  HELP!!!  What can we do and who do we call to do it??  We want the right person for the job to expedite the project and save cash!

Answer
Hello Valerie, I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep www.csia.org, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help, it sounds like the unit it self in  not vetted properly (gas logs put out a ton of moisture)
Hope this helps  
James  

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball