Chimney & Fireplaces/Smoky Fireplace

Hi James,
I live in southern Louisiana. We rarely use a fireplace. It just doesn't get that cold. I have lived in our present home for about 18 years. We have used the fireplace. The problem is that it seems to produce to much smoke into the living area recently. The cap is still on the top. The brand is a Heatilator. It has ductwork through the roof. I was thinking about installing an insert that has a remote control with ceramic logs. One flip of a switch and have fire.
What do you think about this?

Hello John, here is a link to my web page and it talks about Negative Pressure, reasons why and how to "live with it" or "correct it" might be as simple as opening a window 3-5" till the fire is going then shutting it.
Also I would have a local Certified Chimney Sweep, (there you can look up by zip code to find one near you) take a first hand look at what you have, they should be able to help.
Hope this helps

Chimney & Fireplaces

James Ball

I am a chimney sweep with over 22 years of experience, CSIA certified and member of the NCSG, I can answer questions about smoky fire places, wood stoves, and heating units (boiler and furnace chimneys) do you need a relining? A cap? And much more

over 22 years

Chimney Safety Institute of America, National Chimney Sweep Guild

CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified