China & Hong Kong/trip to China

I have a chance to go to China with my husband who has a meeting.  The meeting will be one week in Beijing.  My questions are:  we would like to go a week earlier and see somewhere besides beijing. Where would you recommend?  Preferably away from the city, somewhere we can get back to Beijing from without too much trouble.  We are good travelers and up for anything interesting.  What will the weather be at the middle of August?  Also, will there be enough things I can do on my own during the week in Beijing when he is working?   All advice is welcome.

Fay, my suggestion for August would be to take a trip to the beach towns of either Beidaihe in Hebei province, or Qingdao in Shandong province. Beidaihe is much closer to Beijing, but both are accessible by either train or plane. The weather will be sticky and humid here, which is why I suggest a beach, but both locations have plenty of other attractions such as hiking (Lao Shan mountain in Qingdao is very nice) and shopping.

As for Beijing, I'd suggest a stroll through the hutongs (ancient residential neighborhoods); an organized tour is probably your best bet. And if you are an endurance hiker, the Great Wall is a timeless attraction.

Your hotel will indubitably be able to provide you with a whole list of activities and sites, and be able to arrange tours and transport, so just ask.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

China & Hong Kong