China & Hong Kong/High speed trains in China

Dear Andrew:
I observed that on Chinese bullet trains the seats always face in the direction of the travel (forward). But the train must go back and forth between stations, so it must travel in BOTH directions. Do they rotate the entire train? Or they rotate the seats?

Image of Seats on China Bullet Train
Image of Seats on Chin  
Hi Rajendra,

What an interesting question!

Funny enough I just took the bullet train yesterday and so I asked the attendant this question for you and I also took some photos to show you.  

The answer is they rotate the SEATS.  Yes, they rotate all the seats in the train.  Amazing!

In this photo you can see that the last seat in the row has foot rests on the back of it.  This is there because when the seat is rotated it will then be the first row.

You are very observant!

Thanks Rajendra.

China & Hong Kong

Andrew Reich

I can answer questions in regard to quality control and manufacturing in Asia, social compliance and factory auditing in Asia, buying product from China, consumer product lab testing and benchmarking, dealing with Chinese suppliers, business travel in China and sourcing products internationally.

I have over 7 years experience in quality control and buying from Asia. I have worked as a product inspector, factory auditor, China consultant and buying office manager (Shenzhen) throughout China, and also in New York. I am fluent in Mandarin Chinese and have lived in China for over 5 years. I am the author of QualityWars (, a well-known blog on quality control in China. I am the founder and general manager of InTouch Services (, a China-based company that provides solutions to quality and overseas manufacturing issues through product inspection and other related quality control services.

China Business Success Stories Smart China Sourcing

Shanghai NORMAL University, 03 Intensive Mandarin Chinese Program SUNY Binghamton University, 02, B.S. Management