China & Hong Kong/VPN


Hi, I am going to China and will like to use my internet. Do I need to purchase a VPN? I don't know anything about this. What shall I get and how can I do it?

Hi There,

General internet is OK in China, but some sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and many others that are common in the USA are blocked.  

So yes, if you want to use those sites you need a VPN.  

I suggest you use Astrill.  Just search "Astrill VPN" in google and you will find it.  It's about 65 USD for the year.  There are instructions on their site how to download and use it.  You can also put it on your phone.  

When you want to visit those blocked sites you turn on the VPN and it should work normally.

Good luck!


China & Hong Kong

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Andrew Reich


I can answer questions in regard to quality control and manufacturing in Asia, social compliance and factory auditing in Asia, buying product from China, consumer product lab testing and benchmarking, dealing with Chinese suppliers, business travel in China and sourcing products internationally.


I have over 7 years experience in quality control and buying from Asia. I have worked as a product inspector, factory auditor, China consultant and buying office manager (Shenzhen) throughout China, and also in New York. I am fluent in Mandarin Chinese and have lived in China for over 5 years. I am the author of QualityWars (, a well-known blog on quality control in China. I am the founder and general manager of InTouch Services (, a China-based company that provides solutions to quality and overseas manufacturing issues through product inspection and other related quality control services.

China Business Success Stories Smart China Sourcing

Shanghai NORMAL University, 03 Intensive Mandarin Chinese Program SUNY Binghamton University, 02, B.S. Management

©2017 All rights reserved.