Chinese/Translation

Question
Hello. I am hoping you can help me out. I am trying to figure out how to write 'Aunt' in Chinese. I have Googled it, but so many different options come up. I want to make sure it is an accurate translation. I want the symbols used, please.

Answer
Hello Ashleigh,
    Thanks for your question. I feel apology on keeping you waiting my answer for several days.
    Generally, "aunt" can be explained in Mandarin Chinese with "阿姨" (pinyin ā y). However, "阿姨" cannot cover any situations that "aunt" used in English. They would differ whether the "aunt" their relatives or not. "阿姨" only used in referring to people who isn't relatives. When it comes to refer to relatives, "阿姨" is no longer used. Chinese speakers often use "姨妈" (pinyin y mā, mainly south China saying) or "姨姨" (pinyin y yi, mainly north China saying), both of them mean the sister of mother.
    More, sometimes "aunt" in English can be used to refer to old woman, but in Mandarin people use "奶奶" (pinyin nǎi nai, literally meaning "grandma") or "大娘"/"大妈" (pinyin d ning/d mā, literally meaning "old mother").
    PS, "aunt" has different sayings in Chinese depends on different dialects, this post discusses Mandarin Chinese.

It's my second answer in AE, and I hope it can do you a favor. Thanks.

Chinese

Colin Chi