Chiropractors/long thoracic nerve palsy with winging scapula

my scapula sucks wrote at 2008-06-10 02:55:27
Hi Danielle,

I also have the same injury ( 25f) and have been dealing with it for 6 months with no improvement. Physical therapy didn't help, etc. The only thing I can say is I was able to stop the excruciating nerve pain. Find a VERY GOOD acupuncturist, give him or her a few sessions and see if that helps. I went from sitting up crying at night for months to never having that pain again in one half an hour acupuncture session.  as for the healing part... i have no clue.

Dr. Stephen A. Dalfino wrote at 2008-10-28 02:19:43
There's not too much to add as Dr. Shawn has done an excellent job explaining this condition.  

The only thing that I would add is the possibility of applying "leukotape" to the area of the involved shoulder.  A doctor or therapist who has experience with taping can provide some degree of stabilization and provide more physiological positioning of the scapula.  

The downside is that long term use of taping can irritate the skin so bracing of the shoulder may also be a viable option but would be less likely to provide the specific vector forces that you would get with taping.  

Of course strengthening of the serratus, lower trapezuis and other related musculature is probably the most significant factor over the long term.  Dr. Ben Kibler (orthopedist in KY) has a great program for scapular stabilization which is nothing less than imperative for the health of the shoulder mechanism.

PAT wrote at 2009-08-25 19:23:53
HEY. FOR YEARS AFTER AN ATV ACCIDENT I STARTED HAVING TROUBLE LIFTING MY ARMS AND IT KEEPS GETTING WORSE AND WORSE. IM NOW UNABLE TO LIFT BOTH MY ARMS PAST 90 DEGREES ON EAITHER SIDE. ITS HORRIBLE BECAUSE IM ONLY 22 YEASRS OLD. I TRIED THEREPY BUT IT ONLY GOT WORSE. I CANT EVEN WASH MY HAIR WITH OUT BENDING OVER. I FINALLY FOUND A DOCTOR IN TEXAS THAT SPECIALIZES IN THIS WINGING. HIS NAME IS DR. NATH. UNFORTUNATLYY I CANT GO TO HIM CAUSE HES OUT OF NETWORK COVERGE FOR ME AND MY INSURANCE KEEPS DENYING ME FOR THE SURGERY.

J wrote at 2011-05-19 04:07:48
Well, I've had the same problem. Mine was caused by a road side bomb. Couldn't lift my arm more than 90 degrees to the front. Shoulder would tire extremely fast (10 seconds). Loud popping, cracking, etc... Winging was severe, Dr measured it at over 3 inches straight out. I had a pectoralis major muscle/tendon transfer. Its a 'rob peter to pay paul' kind of thing. But, i'm not in constant pain anymore. I still have pain, but it isn't 24/7. My 'push' (i.e. pushing away from my body, pushups, etc...) is definately weaker but just the relief from pain and the increased range of movement is worth it. I'm 5 months post-op and enjoying it. I've still got a long way to go for recovery, but its much better. Winging is zero, pain is intermittent, worse with a lot of exercise. I'd recommend this surgery if you have the NCV or EMG to back it up. My muscles were completely atrophied when the Dr did the surgery. If its that bad, i'd go for it.

melissa wrote at 2011-06-16 00:35:49
hey danielle i was wondering how your husband was and if he had surgery i am going through the same thing right now they are wanting to do surgery and take muscle from my right shoulder. injured shoulder. but they said it would not take away the pain just be able to move my arm back. i was like what why would i do this if it wouldnt help. thanks melissa  

Catherine wrote at 2013-01-23 01:26:33
Dr. Leatherman,

As a person who also suffers from Long Thoracic Nerve Palsy, I would like to thank you for the most concise explanation I have found about these types of nerve injuries. The advice you offer is also very heplful and practical.

Thanks again

Chiropractors

Dr. J. Shawn Leatherman