Chiropractors/Near-syncope after cervical traction

Heather Dawson, NP-C wrote at 2015-01-21 22:56:00
I agree with Dr. Biggs and would like to add another possibility.

It is possible that the cervical traction caused a vasovagal response.  Vasovagal response is the most common cause of syncope.  The vagus nerve exits the medulla oblongata extends through the jugular foramen and passes into the carotid sheath between the internal carotid artery and internal jugular vein.  I believe the traction caused stretching of carotid sheath triggering a vasovagal response.  Given the fact that you are young and female, this is likely.

Keith E. Biggs, DC

I can answer questions regarding chiropractic care and diagnosis, exercise rehabilitation, spine therapy, disc injuries, back pain, neck pain, headaches, sports injuries, car accident injuries, physical therapeutics, acupuncture, homeopathy, clinical nutrition, decompression traction, acupressure, acugraphing, orthotics, arch supports, carpal tunnel, sciatica, degenerative joint disease, arthritis, weight loss, etc.

I have been in private practice for more than 20 years in Mesa, AZ. In my practice I have seen thousands of patients with many different conditions. Every patient is unique and requires individualized attention and care. I pride myself in attentive and appropriate care for every individual that comes to my office

Arizona Chiropractic Society

Doctor of Chiropractic, Cum Laude,Logan College of Chiropractic, 1987. Bachelor of Science in Human Biology, Logan College of Chiropractic. Licensed to practice Chiropractic in Arizona. Certification in Acupuncture. Certification in Physiotherapy and Traction.

I have treated thousands of people in my private practice during the past 21 years, and in the process, I have learned so much. Practice guidelines and patient privacy laws prohibit the naming of past patients.