Chiropractors/mattress for scoliosis

Hi Dr. Biggs,

My 20-yr old son has mild scoliosis and we're about to buy him a new mattress. Do you have recommendations as to brand, firmness etc? Is there a special mattress pad that he should have?

Thanks very much!

Dear Sharon,

This is the question that I get all of the time in private practice, and the truth of the matter is that there is no one particular mattress that is the best for everyone. I wish that there was a more solid answer, but there just isn't.  Some patients have loved the feel and support of water beds, others hate them. The same can be said for memory foam, box springs, etc.

I generally encourage a more firm mattress.  I currently sleep on a conventional box-spring mattress myself, but have thought that if I were to replace it, this is what I would do...

1) Find a select comfort or other air mattress bed, preferrbly one that has little or no cover on it.  This way, the firmness is adjustible through adding more air or releasing some air.

2) Purchase foam, sheep skin, or memory foam mattress toppers to adapt the comfort of the surface to my personal preference.  I would do it this way so that I could throw away or change the mattress toppers as needed. This is the part of the bed that breaks down first under heat and pressure. Also, if your son finds outs that he hates the memory foam pad, for example, you can easily change it to an "egg crate", or other mattress topper with minimal expense.

I hope that this helps you a little bit.  I wish that it were a more definitive answer.

Good luck, and I hope and pray that your son is minimally affected by the scoliosis.

Dr. Biggs  

Keith E. Biggs, DC

I can answer questions regarding chiropractic care and diagnosis, exercise rehabilitation, spine therapy, disc injuries, back pain, neck pain, headaches, sports injuries, car accident injuries, physical therapeutics, acupuncture, homeopathy, clinical nutrition, decompression traction, acupressure, acugraphing, orthotics, arch supports, carpal tunnel, sciatica, degenerative joint disease, arthritis, weight loss, etc.

I have been in private practice for more than 20 years in Mesa, AZ. In my practice I have seen thousands of patients with many different conditions. Every patient is unique and requires individualized attention and care. I pride myself in attentive and appropriate care for every individual that comes to my office

Arizona Chiropractic Society

Doctor of Chiropractic, Cum Laude,Logan College of Chiropractic, 1987. Bachelor of Science in Human Biology, Logan College of Chiropractic. Licensed to practice Chiropractic in Arizona. Certification in Acupuncture. Certification in Physiotherapy and Traction.

I have treated thousands of people in my private practice during the past 21 years, and in the process, I have learned so much. Practice guidelines and patient privacy laws prohibit the naming of past patients.