Hello I was in an accident 1 year ago. I was walking and was hit from behind. I continue to have tailbone pain and ischial l tuberosity pain. I have been through injections, manipulation and physical therapy with no relief. It is very painful sitting, getting up, walking in uneven surfaces, bending etc.  I recently had a pelvic MRI with emphasis on tailbone. No problems were found. How can this be do tender with no abnormalities seen?  Is it possible that the tailbone looks normal when laying down but dislocates when in sitting position?   Please advice. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

Dear Linda,

I am sorry that you were injured. I hope and pray for a speedy recovery.

MRI studies and X-ray studies do not show us everything. MRI studies are 80% accurate at best... and are dependent upon an accurate reading by a radiologist MD.

It is difficult to give you a diagnosis through a simple on-line discussion/chat.  Perhaps, if it has not been done already, it is time to focus an MRI study on the lower back, and not the pelvis.

Tail Bone injuries are difficult because often there is no visible defect, yet they can cause you a lot of pain. Tail bone pain is also troublesome because it can be caused by injuries in other locations, like up higher in the lumbar spine.

Try these things:

Use a doughnut for sitting.
Try massage in the gluteal musculature
Try acupuncture to ease the pain
Try anti-inflammatory medications (advil,etc)
Avoid anything that aggravates it
Try ice therapy on the ischial tuberocity

Shift your mind set to the spine. Try spinal decompression therapy.

If you find that you are simply not getting any relief, and if your current doctors have exhausted their ideas and thoughts and treatments, keep searching for and trying new physicians/chiropractor/therapists and new methods.

Like I said, tail bone injuries can be quite frustrating. Make sure that you are not aggravating it in any way (sitting, etc)

I hope that this gives you some new ideas. I wish you the absolute best of luck and a speedy recovery.  God Bless,

Keith Biggs, DC

Keith E. Biggs, DC

I can answer questions regarding chiropractic care and diagnosis, exercise rehabilitation, spine therapy, disc injuries, back pain, neck pain, headaches, sports injuries, car accident injuries, physical therapeutics, acupuncture, homeopathy, clinical nutrition, decompression traction, acupressure, acugraphing, orthotics, arch supports, carpal tunnel, sciatica, degenerative joint disease, arthritis, weight loss, etc.

I have been in private practice for more than 20 years in Mesa, AZ. In my practice I have seen thousands of patients with many different conditions. Every patient is unique and requires individualized attention and care. I pride myself in attentive and appropriate care for every individual that comes to my office

Arizona Chiropractic Society

Doctor of Chiropractic, Cum Laude,Logan College of Chiropractic, 1987. Bachelor of Science in Human Biology, Logan College of Chiropractic. Licensed to practice Chiropractic in Arizona. Certification in Acupuncture. Certification in Physiotherapy and Traction.

I have treated thousands of people in my private practice during the past 21 years, and in the process, I have learned so much. Practice guidelines and patient privacy laws prohibit the naming of past patients.