Chiropractors/Posterior fusion defect

Question
I just wanted to know if you would be able to tell me what a posterior fusion defect of the T12 is? My report also read facet joint sclerosis bilateral L5-S1. But these results were not explained to me maybe because of the importance of some other results I had in blood work. Anyways I am unable to figure out what this might mean so any help is appreciated!!

Answer
Dear jamie,

Please forgive my tardiness.  I answered this question before, but evidently it didn't go through to you.  Of course, it could be my error.  Please forgive me.

I have thought about your question, and it is a bit difficult to  answer because Posterior Fusion Defect could be a couple of things, in my mind.  What I believe it is truly indicating in your report is a spondylolysis... or a developmental separation of the front part of a vertebra with the back part of the vertebral bone.  At times it can develop into a spondylolysthesis, where one vertebral bone slips forward on the one below it.

Facet Joint Sclerosis is a term that describes arthritis of the joints in the back portion of the vertebral bone.  When two spinal bones (vertebrae) come together, they form three joints: The disc joint, and two posterior facet joints.  In your case, you have arthritis or degenerative changes in the facet joints.

I hope that this gives you some ideas of what is going on with your spine.  If you have further questions, you should return to your MD and have the x-rays explained to you in more detail.

Good luck,

Keith Biggs, DC
http://www.eastmesachiropractor.com

Chiropractors

Keith E. Biggs, DC