Chiropractors/lower back

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr. Kaldy,
I am a 52 yr old female. I weigh about 127 pounds.  For the last few months, I have been experiencing some "popping" in my lower back ...only when I twist or turn and only when laying down. Not when standing or walking.It almost feels as if the bone is moving over or against something . Does that make since For instance , in the morning if i stretch at the waist before getting out of bed, I will feel 2 or 2 pops when turning. It seems to be more when I turn to the right side. There is no pain. I do alot of walking for exercise. I do have a cervical herniated disc which I have had for about 5-6 yrs and manage with massage and physical therapy.My doctor has said that he does see slight indications of degenerative disease but nothing out of the ordinary at my age. Other than that, I am a pretty healthy individual.
I am taking D3, B- COMPLEX , CITRICAL, and  multi- vitamin as supplements now. The only meds I am on are birth control for Hormone therapy.
Do you think this popping sound is something to be concerned about? Should I avoid any motions that cause the popping? I have just gotten my cervical disc issue resolved for the time being and really do not want to spend all the money on physical therapy again if i do not need it. I appreciate any advice you might be able to give.
Thank you,
Teresa

ANSWER: Hello Teresa!

From the sounds of what you wrote, it appears to be normal.  You described no traumatic injuries (outside of a cervical herniated disc from years ago) or injuries period, just a "popping" sound when you twist side to side.  By chance, does it feel and sound like "popping your knuckles"?  If so, this is a normal sound.  It is the joint stretching and releasing gas that builds up within the joint.  There is no described pain with the action which is good as well.  Everything else sounds normal.  

Just curious, but what have you done for the cervical disc herniation?  Have you been to the chiropractor?  I notice that you spent a lot of time in physical therapy.  I'm curious.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Dr. Kevin Kaldy
Chiropractic Physician
www.lasvegaschiro.com
drkaldy@lasvegaschiro.com

**This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options

QUESTION: Yes, it does sound like popping your knuckles , I guess. I was just concerned because it happens just about every time that I twist in that motion . Has not done that in the past. I guess it is old age creeping up on me.  As for the disc. I fell on a wet garage floor about 8 yrs ago and i suspect that is what caused the disc issue.  I have manage it well with deep tissue massage every other week and when it "flared" on me in Oct. I do not know what set it off...probably just repeated motion etc.  My doctor sent me to PT which helped alot. They were able to get the "tingling " in my forefinger and thumb to go away. Sent me home with some strengthening exercises which I do religiously. I have honestly, thought about chiropractor but now seen one as of now since all is well. i guess I am hesitant about manipulating that area too much. I have seen a neurosurgeon and had 2 MRI. The last MRI in Oct. showed that the herniation was a little smaller than 4 yrs ago so that is good. Any advice?
Thank you so much, I do appreciate your time and espertise.
Teresa

Answer
I am confused... you state, "I guess I am hesitant about manipulating that area too much."  I don't know what that means if you have not been to a chiropractor.  

My suggestion is to set up an appointment with a chiropractor #that actually still does manipulation#.  The popping is a simple issue and should not take but a couple of visits.  I further am guessing that when you wake in the morning, your back is tight and stiff.  While this may be normal, if gentle movements side to side cause audible "pops" you should be seen just to make sure everything is lined up.  

Best wishes.

Sincerely,

Dr. Kevin Kaldy
Chiropractic Physician
www.lasvegaschiro.com
drkaldy@lasvegaschiro.com

Chiropractors

Kevin L Kaldy DC