Chiropractors/Back pain

Question
My 2 year old is massive, he weighs over 50lbs and I am 5'6 and he is over half my height and weight already, I weigh 117lbs. I am constantly having to pick him up into or out of my truck, carts, his high chair.. everything. And it is KILLING my back and shoulders.

I have horrible back pain in my lower back and also in the middle of my back right in between where my shoulders are. Its gotten to where I am taking 800mg of Ibuprofen at a time and that's just not cutting it anymore as far as getting rid of the pain.

I am on my feet all day, bending over to pick stuff up, doing laundry, cooking, doing dishes. And that does not help either, is there anything you know of that I can do to relieve my back pain?

Answer
Hi Amber,

I suggest you start doing rowing motion exercises for your mid back region to strengthen your back muscles as well as stretch those mid back muscles. Doing these exercises can help you reduce your pain by increasing strength and flexibility. What you described is very typical for men and women who are working all day and are forced to lift heavy loads repetitively. Since you cannot give up your responsibilities, you must strengthen yourself to adapt. For many people, doing yoga and/or pilates can achieve both things. Also changing your form while handling your child will also help. Try not to lean forward too long while holding him out front. A 50lb baby feels like 100lbs when you are holding them away from your body. Staggering your stance(one foot in front of the other) also takes pressure off your back. Lunging to pick things up rather than bending over or squatting reduces back pressure. I hope this helps you. Internet search mid back exercises and core exercises you can do at home for some good ones. Feel free to follow up with any questions.

Chiropractors

Vishal Verma DC CCSP