Chiropractors/Back pain/spasms

I don't know if you can help me but I figure you're a good place to start. Since May long weekend of 2012 I've been having problems with my back. I think it's lower but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure what brought it on. I was laying in bed at a friend's house when these spasms started. I was using crutches for a short time for a minor foot injury but that was it.
The spasms started off as painless and I viewed them as more of an annoyance than anything that only happened whenever I laid down. After about a week of them not going away on their own I did research and decided since the spasms weren't painful I probably had muscle strain and started to treat it. I tried a variety of things in hopes of treating my back. I tried heat, ice, more activity, less activity, not lifting, and my (now ex) boyfriend would sometimes massage the area (that helped a LITTLE) but the only thing that changed was the spasms; instead of a painless annoyance I now have painful back spasms that have either kept me awake at night or have woken me up from a dead sleep. It's not just my back either now, my right leg will sometimes bend at the knee if I'm laying on my side or stomach.
I haven't seen a doctor yet because I'm still not 100% sure this isn't muscle strain and Google doesn't come up with anything that doesn't scare the crap out of me. Is there anything I can do to lessen this pain and the spasms? I don't like taking pain killers or other medication unless absolutely necessary so I haven't gone to my doctor about this yet.

To start I would recommend consulting with a doctor instead of turning to Google to find answers. Although the internet can be helpful and definitive diagnosis should not be made without a proper assessment. Because of the chronicity of this issue you should have a health care professional examine your back. If you would prefer to start with a less pharmaceutical intervention, I would start with a chiropractor, they are able to determine with muscle testing, whether or not there is a muscle injury or perhaps and spinal injury which can be causing the spasms.

Unfortunately, I am unable to give you a diagnosis without examining you myself.

Dr. Nekessa Remy

I am able to answer questions regarding chiropractic treatment, physical rehabilitation and musculoskeletal injuries. This involves conditions such back and neck pain, headaches, joint pain, athletic injuries, overuse injuries, sciatic, carpal tunnel and other nerve-related conditions. Various therapies including, nutrition, medical acupuncture, laser therapy, soft tissue therapy (Active Release Technique), orthotics, workplace ergonomics, postural exercises and active rehabilitation.

10 years experience in athletic rehabilitation and exercise therapy. 7 years experience as a certified kinesiologist working in motor vehicle accident rehab. Clinic chiropractor and owner of The Chiropractic Office in Missisauga, Ontario. Graduated from Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College (CMCC). On the board of Directors of The Care Management Group (Car Accident Injury Management Group)

Ontario Chiropractic Association Canadian Chiropractic Association Canadian Chiropractic Protective Association

Currently enrolled in the Fellowship of Chiropractic Rehabilitation Sciences (CMCC) Metrix Certified In home Assessor Graduated Magna Cum Laude from CMCC Diploma in Acupuncture from McMaster University Graduated with an Honors Degree from University of Western Ontario Certified Personal Trainer

Doctor of Chiropractic degree from CMCC Diploma in Acupuncture from McMaster University Honors Degree in Kinesiology from the University of Western Ontario