Chiropractors/Since when is the lower GI tract connected to the respiratory system?

Question
I am a 61 year old asthma sufferer.  My asthma is currently (somewhat) under control.  I haven't had a full attack in 4 years, although my chest will get tight every once in a while upon exertion.  Lately...just before that happens I will have a bout with painful abdominal cramps and lower back pain then I'll get diarrhea  My questions are...

1. Are these “additional” symptoms “normal”?
2. Are they actually related to the asthma or is it just a crazy coincidence?  
3. If they are “normal” and related to the asthma....would you please explain how and why? (because, for the life of me I can't figure out the physiological connection.)

Answer
Candy,

Your GI track happens to be related to your respiratory system. Your GI track and it's efforts provides the cells of your respiratory system with energy for it to work efficiently. If the respiratory system hasn't been working at it's optimal level chronically, it can weaken the GI track and sometimes if there's any anxiety associate with it, it can make these attacks worse.

Although it is possible that you have two different conditions, it is more likely that a respiratory system that is not functioning at a 100% is causing some symptoms in the GI system.

Clearly this is something you'll have to discuss with your doctor, but I would suggest cleaning up the diet and change in lifestyle and seeking alternative therapies for not only your symptoms, but making sure your organs are functioning at their best. Chiropractic care, acupuncture, and nutrition play a major role in helping you with these symptoms.  

Chiropractors

Nona Djavid