Chiropractors/Chiropractic Adjustments

My friend was recently involved in a car accident.
as a result of the accident he suffered 3 fractured ribs.
I believe he was diagnosed with acute fracture of ribs 8,9,10.
His Chiropractor is performing chiropractic adjustments using an activator.
Is this safe? Everything I read online states that for Acute Fractures is the worst type of fracture, and can even be life threatening if he moves to fast.

Dear Michael,

I understand your concern for your friend. I am sorry that he was hurt so badly.  

To be honest, he is getting more movement and forces occuring through his ribs with simply breathing and/or getting up and down and moving than what he is getting throug an activator adjustmnet. In my mind, the activator actually induces little or no motion to a joint, and its affectiveness in relieving pain can be attributed to simple mechanoreceptor nerve stimulation.

Of course, the chiropractor and the patient have to make appropriate decisions "on site".  I would take care to not apply the acupuncture over the fracture lines themselves, but I would not hesitate using the activator on the spine segments of a patient with rib fractures.  I would NOT, on the other hand, use any type of high velocity, low amplitude manual manipulation on this patient.

I hope that this helps you. Tell your friend that I am sorry that he was hurt so badly, and that I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

Keith E. Biggs, DC

Keith E. Biggs, DC

I can answer questions regarding chiropractic care and diagnosis, exercise rehabilitation, spine therapy, disc injuries, back pain, neck pain, headaches, sports injuries, car accident injuries, physical therapeutics, acupuncture, homeopathy, clinical nutrition, decompression traction, acupressure, acugraphing, orthotics, arch supports, carpal tunnel, sciatica, degenerative joint disease, arthritis, weight loss, etc.

I have been in private practice for more than 20 years in Mesa, AZ. In my practice I have seen thousands of patients with many different conditions. Every patient is unique and requires individualized attention and care. I pride myself in attentive and appropriate care for every individual that comes to my office

Arizona Chiropractic Society

Doctor of Chiropractic, Cum Laude,Logan College of Chiropractic, 1987. Bachelor of Science in Human Biology, Logan College of Chiropractic. Licensed to practice Chiropractic in Arizona. Certification in Acupuncture. Certification in Physiotherapy and Traction.

I have treated thousands of people in my private practice during the past 21 years, and in the process, I have learned so much. Practice guidelines and patient privacy laws prohibit the naming of past patients.