Chiropractors/1st rib strain

I have been injured since 2004 whilst lifting something. My chiropractor diagnosed 1st rib strain and my symptoms are consistent with this. I am however reliant on chiropractic treatments every 8 - 10 weeks to relieve the tightness and pain in my neck. With treatments my pain is kept to 1-2/10 and there is very little impact on my working and family life. However without manipulation the whole neck and shoulder area seizes up. I experience terrible headaches and repeated neck strains.
I read about a surgical rib resection. Is this an option for me do you think? Is there any thing I can do to manage the problem myself better? I go to yoga/ Pilates once a week and do various stretches and strength work. I am 40 yrs old and would not like to be reliant on chiropractors forever (much as I love them!!)
Thank you for,your time.

Hello Philippa,

No need for surgery.  With your Chiropractic adjustment you may need some intense soft tissue work around the rib and joint/neck, this may help sustain the adjustment.  The soft tissue treatment is usually 2x per week for 3-4 weeks to clear up myofascial adhesion's/muscle knots.

Have a great day,
Dr. Brendon O'Brien D.C.  

Dr. Brendon J. O`Brien, D.C.

Questions related to: Chiropractic, Physical Therapy, Soft Tissue Treatment, Nutrition, Acupuncture, and the integration of Chinese and Western medicine.

Dr. O'Brien is a highly skilled doctor of Chiropractic who has come to Minneapolis, Minnesota from Rochester, Minnesota. Dr. O'Brien has a extensive knowledge of sports related injuries and myofascial conditions. Dr. O'Brien has competed in Judo, Mountain Biking, Road Cycling, Free-Style Skiing, Cross-Country Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, and continues to compete in Mountain Biking, Road Cycling, and Cross-Country Skiing.

D.C., Certified Acupuncturist in Minnesota.