Chiropractors/Ribs

Question
I am in cross country and I started getting a sharp pain in my left rib cage  when i ran but the season was almost over so i figured it would go away when i stop running but it never did. One day when i was laying on my stomach my ribs started hurting so i went to turn over and it pop but  it didnt swell or anything. Its been eight months since i stopped running and the pain comes out of nowhere so i dont know if it was from running or not.

Answer
Elizabeth,

Although you have not asked a question, I assume that you are interested in trying to identify the cause of your pain. While I cannot provide a diagnosis over the Internet, in general, pain in the rib cage area following physical activity is commonly caused by intercostal trigger points.  These tender nodules develop in over-used muscles, generate inflammation, which increases pain, and may radiate pain to other areas. Intercostal ttrigger points may refer pain to the front and sides of the rib cage. The pain may be described as 'a stitch on my side.' The muscles that may be affected in the situation you are describing are located in between the ribs. Pain is usually worse on exhalation. These trigger points generally respond well to manual therapy. Consulting with a chiropractic physician or licensed massage therapist knowledgeable in trigger point therapy would be your best bet to confirm this is the case and to treat the cause of the problem appropriately. Trigger points tend not get better on their own. I hope this helps to answer your concern.

Chiropractors

Gerald Anzalone, D.C.