Chiropractors/Should she have surgery?

Question
Hello,

My mom(age 67) took MRA and was diagnosed as "Spinal Stenosis"...She was told that #4 ~ #5 has an issue.
She visited couple of doctors, and most doctor asked her surgery, but as far as I know, back surgery is not really good option.
She said to me sometimes she has strong pain..sometimes she doesn't...She is not sure whether she is going to have surgery or not.
What do you think?

I appreciate in advance for any comments you may input.

Thanks,

Answer
Spinal stenosis is a chronic on-going condition. It is usually due to degenerative wear and tear on the back. The body slowly grows bone "spurs" and at the same time, the discs break down. The result can often be narrowing of the canal through which the cord and nerves pass. This is called spinal stenosis.

Surgery is done to cut open the pathways for the nerves.  It should be done after all other options are exhausted. Other options would include manipulation, acupuncture for pain, therapy, exercises.  At times, surgery is the only option.

Since I don't know your mother, and I have no physical examination or radiographical findings available to me for review, I would be a fool to recommend treatment.  She should consult her doctors and listed to their advise, and do some research on her own.

I hope that this helps at least to get you thinking of options.

Keith Biggs, DC
www.eastmesachiropractor.com

Chiropractors

Keith E. Biggs, DC