Chiropractors/hard seat

This is one of those off the wall questions that may be out of your expertise, but thought I'd try. There is an orthopedic expert here, but he specializes in the foot and ankle. I test drove a car that I want to buy and I love everything about it, expect for one thing. The seats felt really hard to me, not too comfortable. Other people say the opposite about them, but I'm an older thin guy and don't have a lot of butt 'padding' so maybe that's the problem. Can the body (butt) get used to something like that? If not, would a cushion solve the problem? I would hate to buy a new car and always be uncomfortable sitting in it. Thanks

Hi Lee,

Seat comfort is very important. Uncomfortable pressures are tolerated for short commutes. If you feel a significant pressure or "nagging" in 15 minutes or so, the seat will be near intolerable after some length of ownership.  The problem is the repetitive accumulation of micro trauma or insult.  When selecting a car for comfort, the seat should have adjustments that are manual or electric that relieve the pressure in your back or buttocks and hamstrings after adjustment.   Some cars have better seat designs.  There are consumer reviews for the most comfortable cars and car seats.  Volvo, Buick, Lexus and many others have models with softer seats.
A cushion will solve the problem but it may be easier to pick a car with a better seat. Cushions also wear out quickly and may be cumbersome.

If you have a weakness in your back, gluteal muscles or have spinal degeneration, finding a comfortable, adjustable car seat is a priority.

All the best,

Dr. True

Jerome M. True, DC, FIACN

General musculoskeletal pain mechanisms, Evidence-based neuromusculoskeletal therapies, General chiropractic treatment options.

25 years of experience with back and neck disorders, Chiropractic neurologist, Success with non-surgical treatment of cervical and lumbar radiculopathy, Neurology textbook author.

Florida Chiropractic Association, North American Association for Laser Therapy, American Association of Spine Physicians.

Myelopathy, Radiculopathy, and Peripheral Entrapment Syndromes, Journal of Athletic Training, Conservative Management of Sports Injuries,

Doctor of Chiropractic (Cleveland Chiropractic College), Diplomate of the American College of Chiropractic Neurology, Fellow International Academy of Chiropractic Neurology.

Professional athletes, High net-worth patients, Physicians and Professionals.