Chiropractors/Exercise Routine Between Adjustments

Question
I was having pain in my upper back and shoulders. I do see a Chiropractor once a month for an adjustment. When I complained about this pain to my primary care physician, she said that it was because I work full time in an office and she wants the Chiropractor to give me an exercise routine to do between adjustments.

I plan to discuss this with my Chiropractor, but am requesting a second opinion. Are you aware of any exercise routine (on the internet or in a book) to do between adjustements?

Thank you so much for your input!

Answer
Hello,
Your primary are physician is right. Adjustments are great to relieve stress and tension in the upper back and shoulders, but you need the muscular strength and endurance to maintain good posture. With good posture comes less stress and tension. I would recommend working on postural exercises which addresses the muscles in between your shoulder blades. The middle and lower trapezius muscles need to be strengthened while your pecs need to be stretched.

I suggest looking for exercises which address Upper Cross Posture, that posture most of us have when we are sitting at a computer and can cause pain.

Please do follow up with your doctor before starting any exercise routine.

Hope this helps  

Chiropractors

Dr. Nekessa Remy