Chiropractors/FHP, brain fog and diagnosis

I am 22 years old and I think I have pretty serious case of  Forward Head Posture. I have had it since my early adolescence. I have been experiencing brain fog years the past 5-6 years. I have read that FHP causes reduces blood and oxygen flow to the brain and in more severe cases, some degeneration to the brain as well. I do not fit cognitively fit. I want to see a orthopedist/chiropractor but I am unemployed at the moment and cant afford one. I want to know what tests are needed to diagnose the reduce blood and oxygen flow to the brain. Is it diagnosed through an MRI ? I would like to get one done in future. Thanks.

Thank you for your question. Your question firstly assumes that forward head posture is responsible for your 'brain fog'. Difficulty with thinking, structuring one's thoughts, and memory may be a problem due to a number of organic causes, among them hypothyroidism, traumatic brain injury, vascular injury to the brain, and fibromyalgia syndrome. A complete metabolic work-up (blood work) would be a good first step in ruling possible diagnoses in or out. I would honestly be less inclined to suspect an underlying musculoskeletal cause of this problem.

Additional diagnostic studies might include ultrasound of the carotid arteries of the brain, and a brain MRI including the Circle of Willis (the network of internal arteries of the brain), depending on what the examining physician or health care provider suspects may be the case.

There may be a free or lower cost public clinic in your area that may be able to help you.

I hope that this helps to answer your question.  

Gerald Anzalone, D.C.

I can answer questions about musculoskeletal-based, evidence-based chiropractic practice.

13 years of chiropractic practice; currently practicing in an integrative medicine clinic.

West Hartford Group, a think-tank that has put forth a model of chiropractic care that is consistent with that of the World Federation of Chiropractic and the Chiropractic Strategic Planning Conference. This model is of the chiropractic physician as the spinal health care expert within the health care system, i.e. society’s non-surgical spine specialist.

Chiropractic Products magazine

Bachelor of Arts, Fordham University, 1991. Doctor of Chiropractic, New York Chiropractic College, 1997.

Fordham University: Scripps Howard Journalism Award. New York Chiropractic College: Clinic Award. University of Sint Eustatius School of Medicine: University Award for participation as student president of the Integrative Medicine Program.