If I'm having symptoms of slipping rib syndrom is my best bet to go to hospitial or doctor as soon as possible or is this something that will gradually change or go away on its own?

So first I apologize for my late response.  I did not get this email until today.  A couple of questions....Where exactly is the pain located (front, back, side)?  Was it the result of something traumatic?  Are you experiencing shortness of breath?  Do you have pain with deep inhalation?

If the rib is just "out", it can be handled conservatively with either mobilization or manipulation.  These can take time to heal especially if it is an intercostal strain.  The way I would treat the above in my office would be to mob/manipulate the corresponding vertebra in the back which can at times correct the rib subluxation.  I would then Ultrasound the area followed by supportive taping and exercises to assist recovery such as Open Book exercises.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Raymond Infanti


My expertise lies in the area of chiropractic and management of musculoskeletal related injuries. Although we have a family based practice our subspecialty is in the areas of sports injuries. We treat a large percentage of extremity related injuries such as those related to the foot, ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, elbow and wrist. We utilize Active Release Technique, Graston Technique, Kinesio and Spidertech Taping and Level IV Laser in our treatment protocols.


2007- present. Has worked over 20 professional golf events including the PGA, Champions, Nationwide, LPGA and Futures/Symetra Tours Chiropractor to Baltimore Oriole farm teams: Aberdeen Ironbirds and Frederick Keys Event Chiropractor to numerous marathons and triathlons. Speaks regularly with running groups about injury prevention In practice since 1994

Rutgers University 1985-1989 Los Angeles College of Chiropractic 1991-1994

©2017 All rights reserved.