Chiropractors/Dislocated rib

Question
About 3 weeks ago I recieved a direct hit to my chest, heard a pop, and saw my primary care Dr the next day when the pain became intolerable and I had some difficulty breathing. They diagnosed my 3rd rib to be dislocated at the sternum and my back side as well. They gave me some muscle relaxers, and said to come back in a few days when my muscles werent so "mad". Four separate visits since then, my Dr tried some manipulation techniques, but could not get the rib in place. Is there something I can suggest, this is not working, it is still very painful to bend, twist, breath deep, sneeze etc...I am not getting better, and I do not want to just continue to get weak...

Thanks

Answer
Hi Katie, that does sound painful from your description.  Manipulation is the ideal way to treat the condition. You may need some more soft tissue work (massage, myofascial release, etc) around the rib before attempting another manipulation. I would also find a qualified sports chiropractor to do the adjustments rather than the primary physicians. They are extensively trained in multiple techniques for rib manipulation including low force techniques that may be less painful and more effective and most know some form of soft tissue technique as well. It just depends on your pain tolerance and ability to take a solid chiropractic adjustment at that level. But definitely find a sports chiropractor to do it.  

Chiropractors

Vishal Verma DC CCSP