I am in charge of occupational health and safety in 20 clothes store all around venezuela. We have plenty of workers complyning of pain due to long lasting standing. It is forbbiden to have chaires. Especcially girls have troubles with varicouse veins. The cashiers stand for more than 5 hours in the same position. what could I do?

Hello Anton:

This problem creates quite a dilemma.  I constantly recommend that patients change positions frequently.  For example, for every hour standing they should sit for approximately 5 minutes.  Our postural muscles, the ones that are most active when in one position, over time will fatigue and become hypersensitive.  This causes people to feel the pain at shorter durations of standing.  

My recommendations would be to make sure that the workers are wearing shoes with good support for their feet.  Another tip would be to elevate one foot on a box or small or platform which would reduce some tension on the hamstring.  Lastly, I would recommend compression stockings to help with the varicose veins.

Not sure how feasible any of these answers are....

Dr. Raymond Infanti, D.C.

Raymond Infanti

My expertise lies in the area of chiropractic and management of musculoskeletal related injuries. Although we have a family based practice our subspecialty is in the areas of sports injuries. We treat a large percentage of extremity related injuries such as those related to the foot, ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, elbow and wrist. We utilize Active Release Technique, Graston Technique, Kinesio and Spidertech Taping and Level IV Laser in our treatment protocols.

2007- present. Has worked over 20 professional golf events including the PGA, Champions, Nationwide, LPGA and Futures/Symetra Tours Chiropractor to Baltimore Oriole farm teams: Aberdeen Ironbirds and Frederick Keys Event Chiropractor to numerous marathons and triathlons. Speaks regularly with running groups about injury prevention In practice since 1994

Rutgers University 1985-1989 Los Angeles College of Chiropractic 1991-1994