Chiropractors/Middle back pain after popping

Hello. This morning I was laying on my side in bed, when I rolled over to my stomach I lifted my upper torso slightly to fluff the pillow. As I arched back I heard and felt a popping noise. There was immediate pain directly in my spine that feels like stabbing and it radiates in both directions across my back. When I bend over forward it brings the pain almost to a stop. If I stand straight up its excruciating pain but if I poke my chest out and arch my shoulders backwards I get a little relief but nothing near the relief I get from leaning forward. Could I have injured a disk? Should I seek immediate medical attention or can I to wait to if muscle relaxers I have will work?

Hi Karen
It seems as though you may have a rib type issue. Most likely a ribhead or thoracic vertebra out of alignment versus a thoracic disc issue.  Thoracic discs usually occur from trauma and are more rare than neck and low back. Get to a chiropractor who can evaluate you properly for disc or alignment issue. Some may take an X-ray if needed as well. May not be necessary based on what you told me so far. Muscle relaxants may help temporarily but eventually will wear off and you will feel it again. Get checked and adjusted.  

Vishal Verma DC CCSP

I can answer questions about acute and chronic pain and their conservative management, sports injuries, back and neck pain, extremity pain, herniated/bulging discs, sciatica or other neurological issues, rehabilitation and fitness concerns, spinal decompression and cold laser therapy. I can't answer questions about specific medications and their prescription. I can give general information about them at best.

I have years of experience in sportsmedicine and conservative care of musculo-skeletal injuries with the use of chiropractic, rehabilitation, and fitness/exercise as well as the use of advanced technologies such as spinal decompression and low intensity laser therapy. I have private practice experience as well as experience within an integrated medical setting with concurrent care of patients with both medicine as well as alternative therapy. I am a board certified sports chiropractor and have treated athletes of all kinds in the conservative management of sports injuries and performance enhancement.

American Board of Chiropractic Sports Physicians North American Association of Laser Therapists

Your Health Magazine Alternative Health Magazine Northern VA Womens Magazine Townsend Newsletters

Doctor of Chiropractic Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician