Chiropractors/Osteoporosis

Question
I had made an appointment with a chiropractor, but then I read if you have osteoporosis, that you shouldn't go to a chiropractor.

I was diagnoised with osteoporosis about 4 years ago. I had weakness of bone in my hip and back.

I started taking stontium and I took the Achilles test on my ankle and the score (Bond Density) was -0.9. on 9-27-14.

I also took the Achilles test on 9-16-2015 and my T Score was 1.0

So, I would not think by the Achilles test scores, that I have osteoporosis anymore.

The chiropractor office will give me an xray.  I was also told that they do treat people with osteoporosis.

I am not having much pain.  

I wanted to go to a chiropractor, because I thought It would just be good for my health.

Any tips or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Any tips you can give me will be appreciated.

Answer
Hi Sallie,

I don't believe that you would have any issues going to the chiropractor if you choose to go. As a matter of fact, chiropractic care for you would be beneficial for your overall health. A few tips for you:
1. Choose a chiropractor who practices with low force techniques as well as typical chiropractic. Nowadays, many chiropractors use multiple methods of adjusting the spine and cater it to the patient in the safest way possible. In short, you don't have to get "cracked" if it worries you.
2. Make sure the chiropractor gives you proper training in exercise for your hips and spine using weight bearing methods. These have shown to be beneficial for patients with osteoporosis. The hips and spine are usually the area of most concern when it comes to bone loss.
3. Ask about proper nutrition changes and/or supplements to support your bone and joint health.

Hope you find your visit to be a pleasant experience as it should be.  

Chiropractors

Vishal Verma DC CCSP