Chiropractors/Cervical spine Cyst

Question
Hello, when I was 21 I had an MRI and was diagnosed with Syrinx of C6. I have all the mild symptoms of syringomyelia: sensory deficit in the radial side of the arms, tightness, and loss of range. I am now 32 and had a new MRI (contrast and w/o), and am waiting on results. In over a decade, symptoms have not gotten worse. I was wondering is there a chance that Cysts can disappear on their own? if there are no cytst on the scan, does that mean I no longer have syringomyelia? That would be lovely, but my symptoms remain. Also, if a syrinx resolves, are we stuck with the neurological damage that the syrinx has caused over the years. THankyou for any information!

Answer
Hi Mary,
I did some research and there is no mention of resolution of a syrinx naturally. Plus the damage caused by syringomyelia can linger even if a syrinx shrinks because nerves take a long time to heal and/or regenerate. The good news is that your symptoms have not progressed over the 10 years. Depending on what the MRI shows, you can opt for conservative care or other intervention including cranial sacral therapy or cold laser therapy to help with the neurological symptoms and healing. No adverse effects are associated with either conservative therapy. If your cysts have resolved, then technically you don't have syringomyelia but just neuropathy. Still need to do something to resolve that.  

Chiropractors

Vishal Verma DC CCSP