Chiropractors/Questions Answered by Expert Dr. Brendon J. O`Brien, D.C.

SubjectDate Asked
machine used in adjustments10/5/2014
  Q: i recently began seeing a new chiropractor after moving, this chiropracter used the "Pulstar" ...
  A: I do not use the Pulstar machine so I am unfamiliar with it. However with my patients I use ...
nerve gliding and stretching8/28/2014
  Q: Dr, I pulled my lower back by doing a "golfer lift" with a 20 pound dumbbell. I am not able to ...
  A: Most likely you injured a lumbar disc. A orthopedic examination will confirm that or the exact area ...
pains in keft side only1/29/2014
  Q: for a few weeks now (have this off and on a year) I have a pain deep in my left armpit that is also ...
  A: You may need a MRI of the spine and left shoulder. This will show where the impingement is, x-rays ...
Mother 77 years old slipped and fell8/13/2013
  Q: My mother who is 77 yrs old slipped and fell. Fortunately, she didn't have any fracture. However, ...
  A: Yes, Chiropractic can help her. Adjustments and soft tissue/ muscle work may give her great relief. ...
1st rib strain7/29/2013
  Q: I have been injured since 2004 whilst lifting something. My chiropractor diagnosed 1st rib strain ...
  A: No need for surgery. With your Chiropractic adjustment you may need some intense soft tissue work ...
Left arm pain and hand numbness9/26/2012
  Q: I have been having pain on my left arm(especially at night, I woke up in pain) and numb hand ...
  A: You may have a nerve impingement. This could be coming from the neck or impinged by the tight ...
Bedding4/17/2012
  Q: I don't suppose you would be an expert on different types of mattresses? I am in the market for a ...
  A: I get this question every day! The two best mattresses on the market are Tempurpedic (memory foam) ...
Deltoid Injury4/3/2012
  Q: I have gone for my 1st visit at a chiropractor for right shoulder pain that was constant for about 3 ...
  A: You may want to have a MRI of the shoulder to see exactly which area is causing the pain. ...
range of motion not regain after knee replacement2/14/2012
  Q: I had a total knee replacement done on 12-14-11 and a knee manuipulation done on 2-1-12. I still ...
  A: You may want a doctor of Chiropractic in your area who performs Active Release Technique or ...
possible pinched nerve in back causing right side belly pain1/26/2012
  Q: I injured my back in dec 09, went to a chiropractor for a few visits and had a little therapy. I was ...
  A: It is hard to say what exactly is causing the pain without an exam. Some possibilities are: Muscle ...
SI joint problem12/27/2011
  Q: In 2002 I had a L5/S1 discectomy after struggling with sciatica for almost a year. My pain was ...
  A: You may want to have a MRI of the low back again, after surgery the joints above or below can be ...
sacroiliac11/17/2011
  Q: I fell back and twisted my back and landed on my left foot.I had 2 hernias and was told my ...
  A: The problem is your disc bulge/herniation pressing on the nerve causing your symptoms. With muscle ...
neck/back pain with a tingle in my hand11/15/2011
  Q: I am a 37 year old fairly healthy male. I recently began taking a course for 2 weeks where I was ...
  A: The nerves that innervate the arm and hand come out of the lower neck, pass through the shoulder and ...
Rehab for knee9/29/2011
  Q: Am 33 year old male. Years ago, developed kneecap pain and tendinitis from driving I did for a ...
  A: Tendinitis of the knee is due to tight muscles (usually the quads) putting tension on the tendons ...
knee8/18/2011
  Q: My 20 year old daughter ran a min marathon. After, her knee was tight feeling. Its been since ...
  A: The symptoms could be caused by injury to the tendons, ligaments, or joint. The best place to start ...
Neck Issue7/27/2011
  Q: You seem to be helpful with many people saw I thought I'd give it a shot...I'm not really having any ...
  A: The popping or clicking with the shoulder is usually tight tendons snapping across the joint or each ...
Chiropractor visits -- How long is TOO long?9/1/2010
  Q: To Whom It May Concern: In early January of 2010, I basically threw my back out after lifting a ...
  A: Yes, on average 1x per month is recommended even if your feeling great. Often in a months time we ...
Sciatica, Lower back injury, Ligament tear, Piriformis????7/15/2010
  Q: I'm 30yr old Ugandan (E. Africa) male i used to work out {mainly jog, do sit ups and stretch} daily, ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic who specializes in Sport/Soft Tissue injuries. They ...
Chest muscle pain6/14/2010
  Q: About two months ago, I had pneumonia. I was coughing extremely hard and quite often. As soon as it ...
  A: This is common with hard coughing. You may have stained a intercostal muscle (muscles between the ...
Neck Pain4/22/2010
  Q: you have actually helped me in the past. I have been dealing with a slight disc herniation (c5 c6) ...
  A: Hey Avi, Yeah, that is typical. With injuries to the joints/cartilage, can cause swelling for ...
Cervical Curve3/10/2010
  Q: I went to the chiropractor the other week because he gave my girlfriend a free chiropractic checkup ...
  A: Hey Tom, Yeah, sounds like a scam. There never is a exact number of treatments to cure ...
Wrist problems3/9/2010
  Q: Dr. O'Brien I had surgery December 1st on my wrist. Prior to surgery I had constant pain for ...
  A: Seldom are wrist surgeries successful unless there is destruction to the joint itself. Commonly ...
Knee11/19/2009
  Q: I am 17 years old and at a soccer game on Sunday i "twisted" my knee- literally thats how it felt. I ...
  A: You may want to have a MRI of the knee, delayed swelling can be a sign of cartilage damage to the ...
My Jaw??!!11/14/2009
  Q: My question is concerning my jaw. I am scared because every time I put my teeth together and open my ...
  A: The TMJ joint has a cartilage disc that can become irritated, swollen, or slip forward (which causes ...
Disc bulging of the spine.11/5/2009
  Q: I was wondering if minor broad-based posterior disc bulging at all lumbar vertebral levels causing ...
  A: You mention the lumbar spine with the disc bulging but the levels you stated are all in the neck???? ...
Haemangioma10/14/2009
  Q: I have been trying to answer the question of numbness in my lower calf and outer foot for 6 years ...
  A: You may want to see a(your) Chiropractor. Numbness is caused by impingement upon a nerve. If it is ...
Chondromalacia10/13/2009
  Q: Hey Brendon. I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella a month ago and the pain is still very bad. ...
  A: Here is a simple exercise you can try. Sit down on the floor or couch with the leg straight out in ...
ligamentous laxity10/7/2009
  Q: Every day all day my 3rd left rib comes out. i am able to put it back in, but it never stays for ...
  A: Often when the ribs subluxate (move out of place)the joint capsule can be torn (ligaments make up ...
Upper spine cracks when breath in deep7/31/2009
  Q: When I breath in deep I upper part of my spine makes a cracking sound , this happens alot . Almost ...
  A: When deep breathing the ribcage expands, your ribs insert directly into the spine (costovertebral ...
Jutting rib7/24/2009
  Q: I'm 22 years old and I fell in 2006 while working and a few months later noticed that one of my ribs ...
  A: Yes a subluxated rib can cause pain in the back where it attaches to the spine and may wrap around ...
tendon injury?7/9/2009
  Q: I think I tore a tendon in my shoulder, which seems related to the anterior deltoid. I cannnot ...
  A: You may need a MRI of the shoulder to make sure you did not completely tear the tendon, this will ...
walking shoes or running shoes for back pain5/19/2009
  Q: I have an inflamed SI joint. do I need good walking shoes or good running shoes???
  A: Running shoes will have more support and cushioning. Brooks and Asics are two good brands to try. ...
Pain on scalp (child)5/14/2009
  Q: .. My son is 10-years-old. He suffers from cluster tension headaches and does see a chiropractor ...
  A: Chiropractic treatment should be 2-3x per week, as symptoms decrease the treatments can be ...
Pain in the chest5/13/2009
  Q: I was playing rugby today and received a pretty huge hit when running straight at one of the bigger ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic, they will be able to palpate the area and determine if ...
twisted my back over a week ago, still hurts4/29/2009
  Q: I was in a fourwheeler accident 10 days ago. when i fell i hit my back and my legs went back towards ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic. The traumatic injury you suffered can subluxate (move ...
popping tendon - ankle4/27/2009
  Q: Aloha - We live in Hawaii on the island of Kauai. I am sending you this message because my 14 year ...
  A: Aloha Katy, Often PT consists of stretching and exercise, but not physically working on the ...
Help!4/20/2009
  Q: O'Brein Maybe you can help me out. I am 5'11 and 130lbs. (Tall and thin.) I am a 39yr old healthy ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic. We specialize in the biomechanics of the human spine, ...
TMD4/20/2009
  Q: ..I have TMD and since I changed to a hard bite splint that I now wear every night....For the past 5 ...
  A: Yes, the hard splint may have caused some of your symptoms. You will definitely know when you ...
Knee join ache and hip joint ache4/10/2009
  Q: I am currently living out of country right now but I have been having big problems with knee and hip ...
  A: Chiropractic and Acupuncture may help your condition. You are to young to have osteoarthritis ...
Elbow clicking and mild pain4/10/2009
  Q: I have been experiencing clicking in my right elbow whenever i straighten it(no clicking in left ...
  A: You may have "Tennis Elbow" basically overuse of the muscles in the arm which cause ...
rib popping out of place4/9/2009
  Q: For several months now i have had a pain in the left chest area after spending hundreds of dollars ...
  A: Glad to hear you had some relief from the Chiropractic treatment. When ribs displace they can ...
Muscle Stimulation4/7/2009
  Q: Is muscle stimulation safe during pregnancy. I have been going to the chiropractor for the past few ...
  A: During pregnancy electric muscle stimulation is contraindicated along with heat and many other ...
Pelvis or back problem4/1/2009
  Q: Basically On sunday I went to pick up a bag of groceries and I got a sudden sharp pain in my very ...
  A: You may want to have some deep soft tissue work on the lumber spine and glutes. This will help ...
cervical spine3/26/2009
  Q: i am jogesh and my mri report says this 1.mild loss of cervical lordosis 2. vertebral bodies are ...
  A: You may want to have a consultation with a orthopedic surgeon. The C5-C6 impingement on the nerves ...
herniated disc fragment3/25/2009
  Q: I have an L5 herniated disc with a fragment impinging on the s1 nerve root. I do not have any pain, ...
  A: You may want to have surgery, the disc fragment can move around like a pebble grinding away at the ...
pinned artifical ligament3/20/2009
  Q: I completely shattered a ligament in my shoulder in a car crash. I had an operation and had to have ...
  A: Yes, supplements definitely help the healing process. You may want to check on the joint care ...
hip jsw3/20/2009
  Q: I recently visited my wife's chiropractor due to severe muscle spasms in my back.He took some x rays ...
  A: With weight bearing X-rays the space may be dramatically reduced due to the pressure on the joint ...
ulner nerve3/5/2009
  Q: I read Dr Leatherman's (spelling) response to a gentleman that recently bumped his elbow while ...
  A: Nerves are the slowest healing tissue in the human body. Even when the pressure is taken off the ...
numb/stinging back2/24/2009
  Q: About two months ago the skin on the left side of my back started to become numb. Just under my ...
  A: You may want to have a MRI of the thoracic spine to determine if there is any nerve impingement, ...
thoracic nerve damage2/24/2009
  Q: On memorial day 2008 I got excruciating pain on the top of my right shoulder following 5 days of a ...
  A: I have never heard of this happening before (which does not mean it can not). That is not the ...
Elbow Problem - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!2/22/2009
  Q: I recently hit my elbow against the weightlifting bar pretty hard. I've seen a doctor and told me ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic who specializes in Sport/Soft tissue injuries. ...
Headache/pressure2/9/2009
  Q: I was in a rear end collision in Nov. There were no apparent injuries so I did not go to the ER. ...
  A: Yes, you may want to have a MRI of the cervical spine and head. X-rays do not show soft tissue ...
thoracic pain1/20/2009
  Q: I have had trouble with my back for 18 years. I am 42 years old. I have had an MRI but nothing out ...
  A: Yes, the ribs often can cause your symptoms. The ribs insert onto the vertebrea in two places, ...
Dislocated rib1/13/2009
  Q: I'm 16 year old and a few months ago someone pulled on my arm and my rib dislocated. (i'm assuming ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic first! Doctors of Chiropractic specialize in the ...
outer upper arm pain1/6/2009
  Q: Several months ago I fell down a portion of our stairs. I suffered upper arm pain....painful to the ...
  A: You may have strained your deltoid musculature. The deltoids over lap the shoulder inserting on the ...
chiropractic adjustment in late pregnancy12/11/2008
  Q: My question relates to chiropractic adjustment in late pregnancy. I am 39 weeks pregnant and my ...
  A: Chiropractic adjustments to the Sacrum, S.I. Joint (Sacroiliac) has been shown to have great success ...
rib12/5/2008
  Q: One of of right rib is bending and acts like a switch. What is my problem and what can I do?
  A: You may have torn the cartilage that connects the ribs. The only way to tell is to exam a exam ...
Injured Due to Fall11/13/2008
  Q: I took a bad fall and broke my fall on both hands and both knees as well as entire right arm. From ...
  A: Even though you have no broken bones you may have sustained soft tissue injuries (muscle strains and ...
Neck injury?11/5/2008
  Q: For the last 10 months I have been experiencing some strange symptoms that I think may all be ...
  A: You may want to see if the scan you had was a MRI. Also make sure the MRI scan was of the cervical ...
Neck locking10/29/2008
  Q: throughout my life I have had several minor neck injuries. Over the past few months, my neck has ...
  A: Chantelle, Always a good idea to have a second opinion or third on your MRI of the cervical ...
muscle spasm10/23/2008
  Q: I use to drive motor bike about hundred kilometres weekly twice.I am aged 55.I have developed ...
  A: Yes, any kind of pain will increase blood pressure and HR. To confirm spondylolisthesis you would ...
advice...10/23/2008
  Q: If I am asking the wrong expert forgive me. I am looking for ways to improve my posture. Do you have ...
  A: Focus on exercises that strengthen the "posterior chain" these are the back muscles. Often people ...
Trying to Conceive/Is it safe to get adjusted?10/21/2008
  Q: ..I've been going to physical therapy for a radial head fracture (happened 8/29/08) 2x per week and ...
  A: Chiropractic adjustments help to align the joints of the vertebrae (spine) which house the spinal ...
Neck noises10/19/2008
  Q: I have a question about my neck. Yesterday I cracked it myself and now my neck makes a noise kinda ...
  A: You do not want to "Crack" your neck! People often do that regularly and cause the ligaments of the ...
Hyperactive Joints.10/14/2008
  Q: I have read your answer to a woman asking about her hyperactive joints and it really helped, you ...
  A: Lifting weights and consistent exercise biking (low impact) etc, help stabilize the joints of the ...
Best approach to regaining neck curve?10/7/2008
  Q: I recently went to a chiropractor for an assessment and the x-rays show that I have barely any curve ...
  A: Adjusting definitely does help restore the lordotic curvature of the cervical spine. You will also ...
Morning Only Back Pain10/5/2008
  Q: I have been trying to determine the cause of my morning back pain. We have a 5year old pillow top ...
  A: Before purchasing a new mattress (which can be expensive) you may want to have a Chiropractic exam. ...
rib sticking8/21/2008
  Q: I have had terrible pain under my right breast area for about 10 years. Nobody can seem to find a ...
  A: You may have a subluxated rib. Often coughing or sneezing can displace a rib and cause extreme or ...
neck twitching and spasms8/14/2008
  Q: ive been having some really strong twitches and spasms on the right side of my neck...it does not ...
  A: Hell Chrissy, Muscle spasms may be due to irritation of the nerve. Chiropractic treatment ...
I have back pain in the morning8/10/2008
  Q: i am 42, a mother of 2 and i work for UPS as a driver, so i get plenty of exercise. my question is ...
  A: It may be the mattress when your husband is sleeping on it (change the angle/depth), you may sleep ...
Hip pain8/7/2008
  Q: one night at soccer trainning, whilst taking shots at goal my groin through to my hip got what ...
  A: You may want to have a MRI of the hip. Often x-rays do not show stress fractures and do not show ...
neck, shoulder, arm and hand pain8/5/2008
  Q: I hope you can help About two months ago I began having some pain in my shoulder area (behind neck ...
  A: You may want to have a MRI of the cervical spine, often impingement on the nerves will cause your ...
neck cracking7/28/2008
  Q: a few weeks ago my neck started cracking on its own, and whenever i turn my head to the right it ...
  A: Often sleeping in a awkward position can irritate the posterior joints of the spine (Facets)and ...
Bad back, chest and neck pain7/24/2008
  Q: Last night I was running on the treadmill at the gym and i heard a loud cranking / popping noise in ...
  A: Subluxations of the ribs can be very painful, this could have happened while running. The ribs ...
rib pain7/7/2008
  Q: I can't pinpoint how long this has been going on, but over the past few months my right side has ...
  A: An old mattress can definitely cause your back pain! You may want to purchase a new mattress. Most ...
Cronic Back and neck pain on right side7/3/2008
  Q: a year ago i was bench pressing, the morning after i couldnt move n my neck n back were ...
  A: You may want to have a MRI scan. X-ray only shows the bones, you may have injured the disc, facet, ...
advice for a triathlete7/2/2008
  Q: I recently injured my low back during training for an upcoming triathlon. I went to a chiropractor ...
  A: Hey Annsley, You may want to get a MRI, to see if the disc, facet, soft tissue is injured. ...
backpain6/26/2008
  Q: Iam 30 years old and two kids, 7 and 3. Iam having sciatica pain in my left leg for quite some time ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic as we specialize in the biomechanics of the spinal ...
hello6/24/2008
  Q: Im 24 years old and i just found out i have a herniated disk that is cracked, after being in pain ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic. After a Chiropractic exam the doctor will be able to ...
muscles6/18/2008
  Q: I am 54 years old i have been having problems with the muscles in my upper thighs, i was wondering ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic who specializes in Sport/Soft tissue injuries, they ...
have to push back all time for relief6/18/2008
  Q: i have to keep pushing my back for relief its as if when it clicks i get some relief fron it,it ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic, we specialize in the biomechanics of the spine, ...
sciatic pain6/12/2008
  Q: For the past two months, I have been experiencing much of the symptoms that are related to sciatic ...
  A: Sciatic pain can be caused by impingement on the sciatic nerve or stemming from the lumbar spine. ...
ACL tear6/6/2008
  Q: We opted for our 15 year old to work through a MRI viewed and diagnosed ACL tear and Tibula/Fibia ...
  A: Some tears can heal. Glucosamine and Chondroitin are the only known supplements to help heal the ...
Chest Pain6/4/2008
  Q: My husband has been unable to work for 1 year due to chest pain. He has had CT scans, MRI's, x-rays ...
  A: Your husband may want to see a doctor of Chiropractic. When muscles,ligaments, soft tissues are ...
numbness in toes5/27/2008
  Q: Two days ago, I was wearing some high heel shoes for about 5 hours. Now, I have some numbness and ...
  A: Wearing high heals will definitely put more pressure on your feet. Sometimes the position and ...
Pulled Hamstring?5/19/2008
  Q: I injured my hamstring last Thursday running sprints at track practice. I felt a sharp pain and ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic who specializes in Sport/ Soft tissue injuries. They ...
adjustments to help neck achieve higher degree5/16/2008
  Q: The chiropractor I recently saw said my thyroid is calcifying due to my neck NOT having the correct ...
  A: Without a x-ray you can not tell if the thyroid is actually being calcified. Adjustments will help ...
Numbness in the legs4/30/2008
  Q: i have this numbness in my legs that comes and goes very often, and it is so numb that my big toe ...
  A: You may want to have a exam by a Doctor of Chiropractic. Chiropractors specialize in the ...
Neck Pain4/24/2008
  Q: I recently visited a local Chiropractor for chronic neck pain and he did an exam and x-ray. I ...
  A: It is almost impossible to determine your treatment plan without looking at your x-rays and ...
MRI LUMBAR SPINE4/14/2008
  Q: I recently had another MRI due to increased onset of sciatic nerve pain, and not really sure which ...
  A: You may want to see a neurologist to determine if the central canal stenosis is increasing. Also to ...
Popping of the back4/8/2008
  Q: When you pop your back the noise comes from the joints and the ligaments. I was told that there is ...
  A: Cynda, Just like any hydrolic fluid, your joint fluid builds up gases (there is no blood ...
tricept muscle tear4/8/2008
  Q: I was doing skull crushers in the gym (stupid exercise Never gonna do it again!!!) and I felt a pop ...
  A: Doctor's of Chiropractic specialize in the biomechanic's of the joints and muscular system of the ...
Lower Back4/7/2008
  Q: lower back..left hand side keeps needing adjustment. This happens every couple of years,but right ...
  A: First, do not try to adjust yourself. Your doctor of Chiropractic adjusts the joint into position ...
Back/shoulder Pain4/7/2008
  Q: Just after Christmas 2007, while doing sit up exercises, I got up assymetrically and felt a sharp ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of Chiropractic. With a chiropractic exam the doctor will be able to ...
hard lump, lower back, right side4/4/2008
  Q: The other day, I found a hard lump in my lower back (right side, sacral area, where my spine enters ...
  A: The sacroiliac joint is a common place for lipomas (basically a fatty tumor...harmless) especially ...
i think its a pinched nerve in neck3/4/2008
  Q: i have 69% blockage in carotid arteries just recovered from busted humorous neck now almost ...
  A: If it's been a while since you saw your medical doctor you may want to have a re-exam of the ...
USING A TENS ON THE CHEST?1/17/2008
  Q: I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CHEST PAINS (NOT HEART RELATED!! PULLED MUSCLE) ...
  A: I hope your friend went to see a cardiologist! It is not recommended to use and device that uses any ...
Karate and protruding disk11/20/2007
  Q: I have recently starting practicing karate but also recently discovered that I have a protruding ...
  A: Depending if it is a new or old tear. With a new prolapse of the disc you will want to stop and ...
DISLOCATED RIB11/3/2007
  Q: About 2 years ago i dislocated a rib, i just did it again about 20 minutes and i cant move, to add ...
  A: Subluxations of the ribs can be very painful as you know. The ribs insert directly into the ...
Chiropractic practices10/26/2007
  Q: I have been going to a chiropractor 3 times a week for 3 months. The chiropractor does the same few ...
  A: Chiropractors are the only Doctors who are Nationally Certified and licensed to give adjustments. ...
Tailbone10/18/2007
  Q: When I lay on my back and completely relax, my tailbone pops. It is ususally from sitting for a long ...
  A: Yes, this is very common. Every joint in the body has gas that is in the joint fluid. When the ...
Disc10/11/2007
  Q: Dr. O'Brien, I have a herniated disc on the L5 and I am fixting to start mountain biking ...
  A: Depends if you are fully healed. If the low back is still sore you may want to start off very slow. ...
Chest pain10/11/2007
  Q: I recently injured myself in training for Mixed Martial Arts. I'm a professional fighter new in my ...
  A: Hey Ricky, Very common injury in the world of MMA. First you may want to get a x-ray just to ...
Back Pain10/9/2007
  Q: For awhile now, I've been experiencing back pain in the middle of my back right behind my rib cage. ...
  A: Often a rib head can move out of place. The ribs insert into the vertebrea (costovertebreal ...
degenerative disc disease10/6/2007
  Q: i just had an mri and it revealed that L5-S1 had degenerative disc disease. it also mentions disc ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic for a exam. Often conservative Chiropractic care may ...
Leg length discrepency10/3/2007
  Q: I first noticed a difference in the length of my legs about eight years ago when I was a sophomore ...
  A: The only way to tell if you have a "True" Leg Length Deficiency is through x-ray form the lumbar ...
He says its a rib10/1/2007
  Q: For about 2 years, I've had a dull pain in my back on the upper-mid left side that gets more intense ...
  A: 2 years is a long time to have that pain. Often the longer you are in pain, the more treatments it ...
back pain9/20/2007
  Q: About a month ago, i was stretching at work and felt a very sharp pain on the center of my spine, ...
  A: Yes, you may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic. Often during stretching or exercise you can ...
portion below ankle hurts9/20/2007
  Q: All these days I used to run on the treadmill in the gym but I like to run around my univ campus ...
  A: This type of injury is very common in runners. The Achilles tendon inserts on the calcaneus. When ...
Degenerative Disc Disease8/1/2007
  Q: , I'm a 23 year old woman and I was recently diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in stage 3. ...
  A: Depending on your current condition ie pain etc. Starting off you may want to be seen more than ...
arm and fingers numb/neck, shulder pain7/31/2007
  Q: I got neck and shulder pain for a couple of years. Recently, my left arm and fingers got numb from ...
  A: Any time there is numbness or sensory irritation, this means the nerve/nerves are being ...
muscular issues7/12/2007
  Q: i have a tightened trapezius muscle thats been giving me grief my doctor advised advil, but it isnt ...
  A: Yes, Doctor's of chiropractic specialize in the biomechanics of the joints and muscular system. ...
shoulder pain7/6/2007
  Q: I have been trainig very hard in the recent past. part of the training was doing a lot of push ups ...
  A: Chiropractic treatment you may find very helpful in reducing your pain and recovery time. Often the ...
back rib pain6/12/2007
  Q: I fell off a 3 legged chair 16 weeks ago i was laid up for 4 weeks, now im back at work i have to ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic. Often ribs can become subluxated (displaced from the ...
sciatica6/11/2007
  Q: i am sciatica patient amost 9 weeks. dr. advice me some medicines for muscle relaxant. i have stop ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic. Often the muscles or the joint itself can pinch the ...
Curious of what i did6/4/2007
  Q: but just about a half hour ago i was playing around with my girlfriend and i must of moved the wrong ...
  A: Sometimes you can dislocate ribs which can cause your pain. Also you may have strained the small ...
neck5/30/2007
  Q: hi===i lifted my 3 year old grandson 6 weeks ago==i felt tightness in shoulder and neck=i tried to ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic, they specialize in the biomechanics of the spine, ...
twitching5/24/2007
  Q: I have this twitching on my thumb on my right hand for the past few days, ive also feel there is a ...
  A: Tightness in the neck and back may cause nerve impingement. Nerves can be pinched in the spine at ...
C5 C6 herniated disc5/9/2007
  Q: An MRI showed I have a herniated disc between C5 and C6. Physical Therapy has not helped. ...
  A: Chiropractic care can help with disc herniations, depending on the size and location of the ...
neck injury5/7/2007
  Q: I dont think this is too serious but can you tell me what the problem is.I have been lifting weights ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic. You may have a facet (posterior joint of the ...
knee pain4/16/2007
  Q: I have been dx with IT band syndrome in my right knee, initially brought on by overtraining for a ...
  A: Yes, chiropractic treatment may help with your IT band. Doctor's of chiropractic specialize in the ...
Herniated disc in my neck4/14/2007
  Q: I went to my chiropractor yesterday and he told me I had a herniated disc in my neck and that is why ...
  A: Herniated discs can take several months to heal. A MRI should be performed to confirm the ...
Spine discomfort4/13/2007
  Q: I have a snall amount of discomfort when I bend my back backwards, or lie in bed on my front. The ...
  A: Often the posterior joints of the spine (Facets)can get irritated for numerous reasons. This can ...
Back popping sound4/9/2007
  Q: I have been experiencing a loud popping sound in my lower back with every step I make while walking. ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of Chiropractic. They will be able to adjust (move) your spine/lower ...
Weak knee/leg4/4/2007
  Q: the muscles behind my left knee are very weak and I can feel that I don't have a strong footing when ...
  A: Often you can have scar tissue or adhesions in the muscle tissue that compress a nerve,artery, or ...
Lower Back3/26/2007
  Q: Thanx in advance for reading this: So today, I was on my walking to work and I felt this sharp ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic. They specialize in the biomechanics of the spine and ...
back pain and mattress3/26/2007
  Q: I have suffered from low back, hip, and knee pain for a while now. We had a pillowtop matress and I ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic, they specialize in the spine (low back pain), joints, ...
Numbness3/25/2007
  Q: I am having tingling or numbness in the head, face, fingers, toes and legs. Cold and light pain ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic to determine the cause of the numbness. A Chiropractic ...
broken rib/pregnancy3/22/2007
  Q: My 26 yr. old daughter is 32 weeks pregnant and just broke a rib from coughing. She is in severe ...
  A: Yes, your daughter should be icing every day to keep the inflamation down. Chiropractic care can ...
upper back pain3/7/2007
  Q: For about 6 months I have had alot of uuper back pain between my shoulderblades. When I wake up in ...
lower back pain when siting2/26/2007
  Q: i have lower back pain espicially when sitting , they feel like labor contractions, its really ...
  A: Pain when sitting is usually a sign of disc inflammation or injury. You may to see a doctor of ...
Pain behind the knee2/20/2007
  Q: I have been suffering with pain behind my knees. It started out during my monthly cycle, but now it ...
  A: Often driving a motorcycle will cause irritation to the hands and body. The vibration of the cycle ...
hurt arm2/13/2007
  Q: I think there is something wrong with my right arm,basically when I twiest my wrist I get a pain ...
  A: You may have a Ulnar nerve impingement. A Doctor of Chiropractic will be able to perform a exam to ...
Treatment for a year ?2/12/2007
  Q: Since a few weeks I'm having troubles with my upper back including neck. I tried different methods ...
  A: Yes, you are right. I would not pay $4000 up-front. Everyone responds to treatment differently, ...
Leg Pain2/11/2007
  Q: What causes burning senstation in right thigh. goes away when I sit down
  A: This could be caused by many things. Any time you have pain it is due to nerve impingement. A exam ...
labral tear in hip2/10/2007
  Q: I had surgery for a labral tear in my right hip 3 weeks ago.I started therapy a week and a half ago ...
  A: This is something you want to bring up with your surgeon immediately, often during rehab subtle ...
concerned about chiropractors2/1/2007
  Q: I have been seeing a chiropractor for the past week regarding a trapped nerve in my neck, I also ...
  A: First off, glad to hear your from my homeland! The physio therapist you are seeing should lose ...
CERVICAL SPINE PINCHED NERVE1/19/2007
  Q: I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING TENSION HEADACHES FOR ABOUT A FEW MONTHS, THEY FEEL LIKE TIGHT BANDS ALL ...
  A: Yes, tension headaches may be caused by a misalignment of the cervical spine (Cervicogenic ...
pain on left hand side of neck1/17/2007
  Q: I have a muscle/nerve type pain on the left had side of my neck that sometimes spreads to the back ...
  A: Yes chiropractic can help, find a doctor who specializes in sport/ soft tissue injuries. Often a ...
upper back pain1/6/2007
  Q: 2 days ago I experienced a pain (rated a 11 on scale 1-10)posterior scapula on the right side. It ...
  A: Your friend may be right! Often a rib head can move out of place. The ribs insert into the ...
NUMBNESS1/2/2007
  Q: I have had hand/arm/finger numbness for over two years now. It is driving me nuts. It is only when ...
  A: If the numbness is unilateral, then the nerve may be impinged somewhere along the pathway from spine ...
lower back pain12/22/2006
  Q: i have a lower back pain that i got while playing football. one day while i was jumping for a catch ...
  A: Yes, go see a doctor of chiropractic this is exactly what we specialize in... biomechanics of the ...
Lower back extending to hip12/11/2006
  Q: The top of my hip by my lower back has a constant low pain. When I have a BM the pain is worse when ...
  A: It is difficult to say what exactly is causing the pain without performing a exam. You may have a ...
tingling, burning and numbing cramping in hands .12/10/2006
  Q: My hands have been tingling, along with sensitive-to-touch burning and numbing feeling. (Initially, ...
  A: CTS is caused by overuse, adhesions or scar tissue in the muscle tissue or fascia are often the main ...
neck12/1/2006
  Q: I just went to a chiropractor and he told me that the pain that i have in my neck could be a bulged ...
  A: Yes, it takes months for a bulged disc to heal. There is no blood supply to cartilage, only joint ...
Middle back pain11/30/2006
  Q: When I take a deep breath the middle right side of my back hurts. It's not right on the spine but ...
  A: Caughing or sneezing puts lots of torque/pressure on the spine and can subluxate the costovertebral ...
Herniated disc options11/28/2006
  Q: I have a herniated disc C3-4 and have had this for 8 years with no apparent cause. I have done just ...
  A: Find a doctor of chiropractic who specializes in soft tissue injuries. They will be able to locate ...
hip pain turned to leg pain11/28/2006
  Q: I'm a 26 year old male in good physical shape - I diet well (80% of the time) and exercise ...
  A: You may have a IT band issue, there are several muscles that surround the hip and can cause the pain ...
upper back pain11/28/2006
  Q: I have had pain in my upper back right between my shoulder blades for about a year now. It is not ...
  A: Yes, often carrying a heavy backpack puts lots of torque on the spine and can subluxate the ...
Right foot is asleep/lower back11/26/2006
  Q: My Lower back is constantly going out,a pop, especially standing,at times the the lower lumbar ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic to determine exactly what is causing the numbness in ...
back pain11/23/2006
  Q: I was on a motorcycle and was hit from behind by a pickup truck now it hurts to sneeze, roll over, ...
  A: Yes, go see a doctor of chiropractic. They specialize in the biomechanics of the spine and will be ...
the back and organs11/13/2006
  Q: gotta problem, i was asked to pop someones back by walking on their back and hoping up and down ...
  A: The spine houses the spinal cord which branches off on each side of the spine as nerve roots. These ...
Athletes with myofascitis11/12/2006
  Q: I am a 29 year old male that races mountain and road bikes. I have pyriformis syndrome and more ...
  A: Racing will definately increase the stress on the glutes and hamstrings. Often with atheletes that ...
Lower Left Rib Pain11/9/2006
  Q: Pain got alot worse and started to hurt both my back,groin,hamstrings,and hip. I went to 2 doctors ...
  A: You may want to try chiropractic treatment. Doctors of chiropractic specialize in the biomechanics ...
chest @ back pain11/8/2006
  Q: I have been having chest pain for the last 3 weeks but it seems to always be accompanied by numbing ...
  A: Yes, There may be a direct correlation to the pain in the back with the chest pain. This is ...
sore rib area10/17/2006
  Q: Over the past year my mid rib area on my left side aches and is sore to touch. I go to a ...
  A: You may want to have a exam by your chiropractor to determine if you need x-rays or not. 50% of the ...
Cause of leg numbness10/11/2006
  Q: I have been having problems. From about my left knee down to my ankle I have a numbness on the ...
  A: Change everything in your P.S. comments!!! Those all can can cause your symptoms. Your conditoin is ...
Went To ER In May10/8/2006
  Q: Dr. O'Brien, Sometime in May I hurt my neck by bending down and turning my neck to the left. That ...
  A: You may want to have a MRI of the cervical spine/neck. MRI will show the cartilage/Disc, you may ...
WEIRD POSS TMJ10/1/2006
  Q: I was pain free for 10month there, after visitng Jan Devries, but unfortunately I turned over in bed ...
  A: You may want to have a chiropractic exam on the neck and TMJ to determine which is the source of the ...
adjustment causing broken rib9/21/2006
  Q: I'm 52 and last summer I was dancing a with my permission and experienced partner flipped me over ...
  A: Rib adjustments can be painful. The "popping" sound is the rib head being placed back in proper ...
Nerve regeneration after knee surgery7/29/2006
  Q: My mom is 74 years old and has arthrogryposis. Eight days ago she had total knee replacement ...
  A: Nerves can regenerate slowly in the body. The key to faster regeneration is excellant nutrition and ...
tricep ache/pain possible tear?7/26/2006
  Q: i have just begun working out (weight training) i am not going heavy at all because i cannot just ...
  A: You may be experiencing delayed muscle onset soreness, this happens when you workout extremely hard ...
back pain/left ribcage pain7/25/2006
  Q: My name is Pranav and I am 25 yrs old..I have been having pain in my left ribcage /back for last 3 ...
  A: You may have subluxated a rib, this means the joint where the rib meets the spine has moved slightly ...
Shoulder Pain7/14/2006
  Q: Recently I had slept wrong and i had a severe mid-back pain, the next day i played golf, and when i ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic they specialize in the biomechanics of the joints and ...
Tendonitis.....7/14/2006
  Q: I have developed tendonitis in my right elbow over the last few weeks. At times it is not too bad, ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic who specializes in soft tissue/ sport injuries. Often ...
cervical fusion7/13/2006
  Q: I had a fusion in Sept 99.It went great. About 2 years ago I have star having pain on my right ...
  A: You may want to have a MRI of the cervical spine. A MRI will show the cartilage/disc and all soft ...
Pain on the top of my wrist...7/7/2006
  Q: O'Brien: I have had pain on the top part of my wrist for about a year now and it doesn't seem to ...
  A: You may have a subluxation of a bone in the wrist (small bones can move out of place), or the ...
back pain7/6/2006
  Q: i am going to a chiropractor tomarrow for the first time, i am having alot of lower back pain and ...
  A: The doctor will perform a exam to determine exactly what is causing your pain, then the treatment ...
tongue numbness6/23/2006
  Q: I've had some numbness on my tongue for the past 2 weeks. At first it was just the tip of my ...
  A: Anxiety can cause your symptoms however, you may want to have a nuerological exam just to make sure ...
Matresses6/22/2006
  Q: I have leg pain related to spinal disc degeneration causing pain in my right calf when laying down. ...
  A: The two top matresses my patients like the best are tempurpedic and sleep number. Tempurpedic ...
Hamstring tendons6/14/2006
  Q: I have an issue with the medial hamstring tendons whereby if I flex and extend my right knee there ...
  A: Adhesions in or between muscles and tendons can result in myofascitis (basically adhesions from the ...
acupunture6/11/2006
  Q: Does acupuncture ALWAYS work for people? Or, does it sometimes NOT work? How long does it take to ...
  A: Almost everyone does notice a positive effect with acupuncture treatment. Some patients will not ...
Injury6/6/2006
  Q: I beleive that I have injured my external abdominal oblique muscle on my right side. I have been ...
  A: Yes, this is a difficult injury to diagnose. A proper exam must be done to rule everything out. ...
Diagnosis before treatment5/30/2006
  Q: I have been going to Chiopractors for numerous years and changed( I moved) to the current one a few ...
  A: Every doctor has a different style. If you feel you do not benefit from the treatment you may want ...
cronic pain in upper right back5/17/2006
  Q: I am a 33 year old female and i have severe pain just next to my right shoulder blade. It is pretty ...
  A: You may have a thoracic rib subluxation (rib moves out of place) This can cause severe sharp ...
Herniated cervical disc5/7/2006
  Q: Can Chiropratcic care help with herinated disc(s) in the cervial region of the neck/spine (C-6 ...
  A: Yes, chiropractic care can help with disc injuries. The size and location of the herniation will ...
Back and shoulders4/3/2006
  Q: I was born with my shoulder-blades out of place. Meaning I can push my arm back and my shoulder ...
  A: Hard to tell what is genetic vs. weakness in the shoulders. Most common is the Serratus muscle ...
Slipped Rib Syndrome?3/29/2006
  Q: I'm a 25 y/o female, 5'3 and 108 lbs. I've been experiencing right side pain for the last 4 months ...
  A: Without a proper exam it is hard to say exactly what is causing the pain. Subluxation ...
Sorry again man, just trying to get this thing right ...Im retarded3/28/2006
  Q: finally...part of my question that I was trying to ask was if arching the back in tightness is just ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic for a exam. You have to realize everyone is ...
alright, sorry about all the...3/28/2006
  Q: alright, sorry about all the questions at once. Im sure im making this too complicated... Ive been ...
the point of that email when...3/28/2006
  Q: the point of that email when I asked about the muscle building in the back, was because I just ...
Tingling on the right side3/28/2006
  Q: for about 2 months now, I've been experiencing tingling from the top of my head through my foot on ...
  A: I would follow your doctors advice and see a nuerologist most likely they will want you to have a ...
Just fyi when I said arching...3/27/2006
  Q: Just fyi when I said arching my back in the wrong direction I just mean bending it in the wrong ...
  A: Posture is important!! Not as much when sitting. But when lifting weights your technique and posture ...
actually it may not be worth...3/27/2006
  Q: actually it may not be worth it to me to do the proper technique stuff except in small ...
  A: Height has nothing to do with back injuries. Some of the worst backs have been in short stature ...
I have a question regarding...3/27/2006
  Q: I have a question regarding posture- First of all, the typical pains and injuries associated with ...
please help3/17/2006
  Q: I HAVE A PROBLEM i dont know if you can help me with or not... I have ears that do some strange ...
  A: You may want to try Chiropractic treatment. Have the doctor of chiropractic talk to you ENT, this ...
Chiropractor vs Massage Therapy3/15/2006
  Q: I am a 39 yr old female in pretty good shape. No recordable health problems. I have however had ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic, they specialize in the biomechanics of the spine and ...
stiff back and neck3/13/2006
  Q: I have been experiencing back and neck pain (and stiffness of the neck) for over 12 months now, and ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic. Doctors of chiropractic specialize in the ...
Getting treatment3/9/2006
  Q: Someone told me it's good to go to a chiropractor, whether you are having any problems or not. They ...
  A: Yes that is true! Everyone has areas of biomechanical stress wether it's in the spine or another ...
Stiff Joints3/6/2006
  Q: You said you know a bit about physical therapy. My friend and I went into what was soposed to be a ...
  A: Yes, I am also a licensed physical therapist. Depending on your condition, heat can make it worse. ...
Going to a Chiropractor2/26/2006
  Q: During a class that is similar to phyisicl education we were doing a tumbling unit, and i did a back ...
  A: Yes, doctors of chiropractic specialize in biomechanics of the spine and all joints. A exam will ...
Back,Rib & Chest Wall Pain2/25/2006
  Q: I am 28 yr. old male, 6 ft. tall weigh about 185. Other wise perfectly healthy. Ever since mid ...
  A: You may want to have a CAT scan or MRI this will give the doctors a image of the exact area of pain ...
back pain2/21/2006
  Q: My father has had a slipped disk several years back and claims that the chiropractor only made it ...
  A: Your father may first want to have a MRI to determine the extent of degeneration to the disc or ...
testicular pain2/20/2006
  Q: Male, 52 years old. Chronic low right-sided back pain, radiating into right groin. Sometimes into ...
  A: Helllo Mark, You may want to have a MRI again, especially if it has been 5 years since the ...
whiplash2/16/2006
  Q: I was in a car accident 7 weeks ago where I was hit hard on the side passenger door by one car and ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic. Doctors of Chiropractic are the biomechanical experts ...
Neck/Spine pain2/11/2006
  Q: Ever since a child the bones in my spine around the neck seem to stick out when i bend down, more so ...
  A: You may want to have a chiropractic exam and x-rays taken to determine the exact positioning of the ...
acupuncture2/2/2006
  Q: Dr. O 'Brien I had surgery a year ago and had a rod put into the tibia of my left leg. I have ...
  A: Acupuncture works great for pain. You may want to try 2-3 treatments and see how much it helps. ...
neck and shoulders pain1/29/2006
  Q: If a person who works all day at a computer and complains of neck and shoulder pain, what would you ...
  A: They may find massage beneficial. Long hours on the computer puts constant stress on the ...
fibromyalgia, ect1/27/2006
  Q: here's my long history: i have been suffering from chronic pain for 9 yrs, i am 33yrs old now. it ...
  A: You may want to find a doctor of chiropractic who specializes in soft tissue/sport injuries. They ...
I(37/male) had an x-ray and...1/24/2006
  Q: I(37/male) had an x-ray and it shows that there are beginning osteophyte formations involving the ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic who specializes in soft tissue/ sport injuries. They ...
pain1/24/2006
  Q: I've never been to a Chiropractor and don't know if that is what I need here. For about 3 months now ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of Chiropractic. They will be able to perform a specific exam being ...
tendonitis1/22/2006
  Q: I am wondering what the treatment would be for tendonitis. What, if any, massage recommendations ...
  A: Yes, Myofascial Release and massage (muscle stripping) will help with tendonitis. If there are ...
Neck and back stiffness1/20/2006
  Q: I am wondering what to do about a back problem I've had recently. I'm a 45-year-old female, and ...
  A: With out insurance, your most affordable health care will be to see a Doctor of Chiropractic. You ...
please help me1/19/2006
  Q: Lately I have been having a lot of trouble with pain and tightness in the muscles in my ...
  A: Sometimes the Costovertebral Joint (this is where the rib inserts into the backbone) becomes ...
pcos and low estrogen levels1/17/2006
  Q: I have been recently diagnosed with the above condition and have read that a chiropractor can help ...
  A: Doctor's of Chiropractic adjust the spine and other joints in the body, the spine houses the spinal ...
chiropractor1/13/2006
  Q: how does chiropractor work
  A: Chiropractic works because you are a self-healing, self regulating organism controlled by the ...
Chiropractic Schools1/9/2006
  Q: I am in the process of applying to Chiropractic school and I have been having a tough time ...
  A: I think one of the best schools for Chiropractic is Northwestern, now called Northwestern Health ...
Ankle injury1/3/2006
  Q: I twisted my right ankle last year during a soccer game and did not do much about the injury then. I ...
  A: You need to have a MRI performed on the ankle. You may have torn ligaments or possible a ...
Question about c2 alignment12/31/2005
  Q: My C2 vertebrae is very, very far to the left. So far in fact, that my chiropractor has said in ...
  A: Adjusting the C2 vertebrea affects the C2 nerve and possibly the spinal cord at that level. As far ...
Muscle Strain12/17/2005
  Q: My doctor diagnosed me with muscle strain in my left calf. This was due to the fact that I had ...
  A: Yes, Chiropractic can help. You may want to find a doctor of chiropractic who specializes in soft ...
Sciatic nerve and Lower Back Pain12/15/2005
  Q: I am a 55 year old male in fairly good overall health. I have been driving an 18 wheel truck for the ...
  A: Yes, definately go see a doctor of chiropractic! They specialize in the biomechics of the spine and ...
Chiropractic Question Ian12/8/2005
  Q: My name is Ian and I was hoping you could spare a few minutes of your busy life to help me out. I am ...
  A: Call Nortwestern Health Science University, the chiropractic college in Minnesota. You can find ...
Protruding Disc11/29/2005
  Q: I have a protruding disc in the L5/S1 and is pinching my nerve. Will chiropractic services or ...
  A: Chiropractic can help if the protruding disc is from mild to moderate in nature. This depends on ...
"Popping" in my joints11/28/2005
  Q: For as long as I can remember, I've been able to crack my toes, ankles, knees, back, neck and - as ...
  A: Stop the Crack!! You will cause plastic deformation of the joint! This means you will loosen the ...
Skull Sounds11/20/2005
  Q: I jog on the beach (dry sand) because my knees are old and I want to save them. I hear, almost with ...
  A: Most likely the sounds you are hearing are from tight muscles, tendons, or ligaments. Often with ...
my back11/16/2005
  Q: i have been suffering for quite sum time now with LBP and ive been attending physio for a couple of ...
  A: Both Acupuncture and Chiropractic can help your condition. Doctor's of chiropractic specialize in ...
Chiropractic Treatment11/14/2005
  Q: I was evaluated and treated by a chiropractor about six months ago. He performed x-rays (but ...
  A: You should not have severe pain after treatment. You may some muscle soreness for a day or two ...
lower back pain11/13/2005
  Q: I hurt my lower back lifting something heavy. It didn't hurt too much at first, and I didn't think ...
  A: The nerves of the lumbar spine and sacrum innervate the pelvic and groin area. Having a ...
Which treatment is right?11/10/2005
  Q: Dr. O'Brien I fell down a hill and hit my head a few months ago. One week later, I knew something ...
  A: You may want to find a doctor of chiropractic who specializes in myofascial injuries (Muscle). ...
Hello, What's the difference...11/9/2005
  Q: What's the difference between an osteopath and a chiropractor? Thanks, Rob
  A: Osteopath will specialize in disease that affects the bones. A doctor of Chiropractic is the only ...
Inquiry11/8/2005
  Q: What are the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome?
  A: There are several Carpal tunnels!!!! But basically the syptoms will consist of very tight forearm ...
Bad knees10/30/2005
  Q: I am living in the UK and have had trouble with my knees for about 6 months. I didn't worry ...
  A: Yes, most likely it is Chondromalacia Patella. The cartilage on the back of the knee cap becomes ...
tricep muscle tear perhaps?10/29/2005
  Q: i have a friend who is now aged 48 years old. about 15 years ago he tried to see how many push ups ...
  A: He should take 3-4 weeks off to let the tissue completely heal. He does not want to re-tear the ...
back pain after golfing10/27/2005
  Q: About 2 1/2 weeks ago I was golfing and I must have threw my back during a drive on the 1st tee, as ...
  A: The injury you described is very common. The nature of the injury occurs from expansion or twisting ...
charges10/11/2005
  Q: how can chiropractors charge for physical therapy without a therapist on site? Is this an isolated ...
  A: Chiropractors are licensed physical therapists! Most are Nationally certified depending on your ...
ANKLE PAIN10/8/2005
  Q: My husband has had excrutiating pain in his left ankle for 6 weeks now. We have visited accident and ...
  A: He should be tested just to make sure there are no infections causing the pain. He may want to see ...
The Neck9/24/2005
  Q: For the last month I have had clicking in my neck. I think it all started working on my home ...
  A: Yes, you may benefit from chiropractic treatment. It sounds like you may have some chronic tension ...
Stingers9/20/2005
  Q: My 13 yr old sustained what has now been termed a stinger almost a month ago while playing ...
  A: A doctor of chiropractic will examine the affected joints and surrounding soft tissues, muscles etc. ...
whole body pain9/19/2005
  Q: I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease of the cervical and lumbar. The cervical I have 3 ...
  A: Just to be on the safe side you may want to see a nuerologist. Muscle weakness can be a sign of ...
Is a chirpracter what I need?9/19/2005
  Q: I have had some problems with my left shoulder for the past several months. I am concerned as I am ...
  A: You may want to check out your insurance coverage on each doctor. If you have no insurance a doctor ...
nueropathy9/15/2005
  Q: can you help with nueropathy caused by chemo-----for cancer of the lung----its in the toes and ...
  A: You would have to go through a exam first to determine if the nuerological deficit is caused by a ...
Pain!9/14/2005
  Q: Brendon, . . . Stiffness, burning, tightness & tension in back of the neck and upper shoulders & ...
  A: You may first want to have some blood test done just to make sure you have no infections etc. If ...
spurts of back pain9/14/2005
  Q: I am 23 years old and at least two to three times a year, have these spurts of intense back pain - ...
  A: Yes, your mother has a good idea. Keep a dairy of the symptoms and also your diet! Many things can ...
back problem for 3 weeks9/12/2005
  Q: i noticed my lower back has been hurting me now for three weeks today has been the worst. i noticed ...
  A: You may want to see a doctor of chiropractic. You may have a lumbar disc irritation or impingement ...
fatigue associated with back adjustment9/9/2005
  Q: My 14 year old son went in for a first time appointment for a back adjustment and immediately ...
  A: There are nueroreceptive chemicals released with a chiropractic adjust that may cause immediate ...
Mis-alignment9/7/2005
  Q: I was going to the chiropractor regularly for about 1 year when on my last visit 10 months ago he ...
  A: There is always a chance, if you felt at the time it was very painful there may have been a chance. ...
DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE8/25/2005
  Q: i HAVE 3 NARROWING CERVICAL DISCS,BONE SPURS AND NARROWING OF THE SPINAL CANAL. ALSO IN THE LUMBAR ...
  A: You may want to try massage/deep tissue work to help break up the adhesions in the musculature. ...
muscles8/21/2005
  Q: can chiropractors help muscle problems in my back? muscle relaxers do not help at all
  A: Yes, Chiropractors have extensive training and knowledge of the musculature around the spine and the ...
job offerings8/14/2005
  Q: O'Brien, I am a recent graduate of a Chiropractic College. I currently have two job offers I need to ...
  A: Han, I think you may learn more from the family practice clinic. The PI/WC clinics are ...
I have been treated for the...8/8/2005
  Q: I have been treated for the last 6 years for scoliosis and for a neck problem that my chiorpractor ...
  A: No, I have never heard of that before. I would ask him for the scientific evidence behind his ...
Internal Hip Rotation8/3/2005
  Q: Dr. O'Brien. No MRI that I am aware of. Recently saw surgeon. Patient was not examined. Told her ...
  A: You may want to refer her for a MRI of the hip to determine if it is cartilagenous or myofascial. ...
Strain - from - above Wrist to below Elbo7/28/2005
  Q: I have a strain i can not get rid of - started in a Gym - not warming up one day - but i thought it ...
  A: You may know have tendonitis. When you strained the wrist and keep using it, there may chronic ...
back7/24/2005
  Q: when i chew and swallow my food after a couple short seconds a sharp pain develops near my right ...
  A: There are a lot of different causes for the pain. The only way to tell what is causing the pain is ...
LOWER BACK7/21/2005
  Q: I PURCHASED A NEW MATRESS APPROXIMATELY 6 MONTHS AGO AND EVER SINCE I HAVE HAD LOWER BACK PAIN. DO ...
  A: Yes, a new mattress may cause lower back pain. Depending on how firm or soft your old matress is, ...
chiropractic7/20/2005
  Q: I have been adviced by one of doctor that i have to consult with Chiropractic to adjustment of a ...
  A: Yes, Chiropractic may be beneficial to you. You do need a chiropractic exam to tell exactly what is ...
Is there anything that can be done to prevent?7/17/2005
  Q: Due to low immunize system that leads to frequent infections that don't like to be cleared up ...
  A: Unfortunately once your body developes sensitivity to drugs there is nothing you can do. Through ...
chiropractic7/13/2005
  Q: my midddle finger on my left hand is going numb, I twisted my neck 3 days ago somehow when i got up ...
  A: Possibly coming from the C6-7 nerve root however, there are many areas (12 main ones) the nerve may ...
I have a really bad top half...7/1/2005
  Q: I have a really bad top half of my back, its worst round the top of my right shoulder and kneck, it ...
  A: Sorry it took a little while to get back to you, I was out of town for the 4th of July. You may ...
cervical disc herniation6/27/2005
  Q: I had thyroid cancer about a year ago. I had my entire thyroid removed. Back in Feb 2005 I was ...
  A: Chiropractic may help, seek out a doctor who specializes in sports injuries, myofascial work, and ...
deciding what therapy is best for me6/21/2005
  Q: About 3 months ago, my airbags deployed unexpectedly when I started my car. I suffered jaw disc ...
  A: No, Multilevel disc degeneration is not normal for a 30 yr. old. You may have some genetic/familial ...
Pinched Nerve6/9/2005
  Q: I woke up 3 weeks ago with a terrible neck pain and migraine like headache, the spot that hurts is ...
  A: HIO is only adjusting the upper cervical spine. However your condition may also need ...
back pain, to hip leg and foot6/3/2005
  Q: i have been suffering for the past 10 days with a pain that statrs in a specific point in my lower ...
  A: You may want to have a Chiropractic exam, doctor's of chiropractice are the spine and biomechanic ...
joints5/27/2005
  Q: My joints crack ALL the time. It sometimes is hard to fall asleep because I feel discomfort that I ...
  A: Tight muscles,tendons and ligaments can cause clicking or snaping across the joint. Specific soft ...
Is a chiropractor appropriate...5/24/2005
  Q: I am trying to figure out the best course of action with the least amount of wasted money. I had my ...
  A: You may need a Chiropractic exam first to see where exactly the problem is stems from. Doctor's of ...
chiroprator5/20/2005
  Q: I have been receiving chiropratic treatment for 18 months and have been very pleased with the ...
  A: With the current symptoms you may want to have a MRI of the lumbar spine just to make sure there is ...
tonic vs phasic5/16/2005
  Q: i have a complicated back problem to which i have read anatomy ,other medical clasics, posture books ...
  A: Yes, there can be referred pain from other muscles. This will not follow the any nerve pathway. ...
Cervical spine5/11/2005
  Q: My husband underwent a cervical spine fusion approx 1 year ago. Over the last month he has developed ...
  A: A chiropractic exam may help determine the cause of the pain and numbness, sometimes the problem may ...
Exercise during chiropractic treatment5/7/2005
  Q: According to an MRI I have bulging discs and spinal stenosis at the L4 & L5 area. My left leg gets ...
  A: Yes, if exercise is increasing the pain and aggravating the low back it may cause more damage and ...
Betaine HCL supplements5/6/2005
  Q: O'Brien: Do you know what the following terminology mean in betaine products? What's the ...
  A: HCL contains Betaine and glutamic HCL which help acidify the gastric contents, creating a favorable ...
Sciatica5/4/2005
  Q: I have true Sciatica. Is this treatable without surgery?
  A: Have a MRI performed to determine the cause of impingement on the sciatic nerve, this will determine ...
Immunizations4/23/2005
  Q: I used to work for a chiropractor that was anti-immunizations. Other D.C.s agreed with his views ...
  A: Depends on the immunization. If do some reseach into the Flu-shot you will find in all of the ...
physiotherapy4/11/2005
  Q: My brother is ten years old. Can he be getting ultrasound and electrical stimlation for an ankle ...
  A: No, Ultrasound and EMS are fine to do, just make sure they are doing the ultrasound with his ankle ...
Sore Neck4/6/2005
  Q: I have had a sore neck for many months. I went to the doctor and he told me i most likely have a ...
  A: Stretching and using ice/heat may help with the neck pain. Depending on the type of injury there ...
Loud Popping of back and neck3/25/2005
  Q: Dr. O'Brien- Is it dangerous for your neck or back if you pop them often, if you get a string of ...
  A: Yes, popping your neck will cause the ligaments to become loose/stretched out! When this happens, ...
fractured ribs3/21/2005
  Q: I was seriously injured in an automobile accident. I have multiple fractured ribs and am wondering ...
  A: Yes, after the bones and soft tissues heal chiropractic treatment will help restore the proper ...
hamstring3/14/2005
  Q: If I stand on one leg, keep it perfectly straight, and bend forward 90 degrees at the waist---my ...
  A: Most of the time it is the tendon snapping over the bone or another tendon, due to tight hamstrings. ...
Magnetic energy3/12/2005
  Q: Is it true that every cell in the body needs magnetic energy for its life and health? The ...
  A: The body is a biochemical machine indeed. Simply put the cells operate by ions (positively or ...
Back probs3/10/2005
  Q: I have been seeing a chiropractor now for a few mths as some low left back pain started back in ...
  A: It is important to have the muscles around the joint worked on too. If the muscles continue to be ...
soft tissue damage2/27/2005
  Q: For What reasons would a chiropractor suggest an MRI? Would they have you come in for seven office ...
  A: If the therapy you are recieving is not improving the condition there may be a underlying cause. ...
Neck Adjustment2/7/2005
  Q: I had pulled a muscle in my neck iat they gym, back in late November. It hurt so bad I could barely ...
  A: Chiropractic adjustments are in line with the direction of the joint and are low force with high ...
BACK PAIN/PINCHED NERVE1/28/2005
  Q: IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A PINCHED NERVE TO CAUSE SHARP PAINS IN THE LOWER ABDOMEN AND HIP? I HAVE DONE A ...
  A: Yes, Nerves exit your spinal cord which is housed by your spine. As the nerves leave the spinal ...
schooling1/25/2005
  Q: I am a Equine (horse)chiroporactor and massage therapist, but the buisness licencing board of Idaho ...
  A: Unfortunately there is no way around it. Even though you can become licensed nationally, each state ...
myofascial pain1/6/2005
  Q: i am pretty sure i have myofascial pain syndrome or somethere of the like. i have been to over 20 ...
  A: You may first want to have a MRI of the hip/pelvis. MRI will show the soft tissue ...
TMJ and chiropractic12/20/2004
  Q: I was wondering if chiropractic can help with TMJ because I have it so bad that I have to put my ...
  A: Chiropractic may help with your TMJ disfunction. You may want to call the doctor of chiropractic's ...
the difference between osteopath and chiropractor12/6/2004
  Q: what is the difference between an osteopath and a chiropractor? - i have pain in my neck and tension ...
  A: Doctors of chiropractic are the only board certified and licensed doctors to adjust the spine and ...
nerves12/1/2004
  Q: My husband suffered a back injury a few years ago. He is now experiencing lower stomach problems. I ...
  A: Yes the thoracic, lumbar, and sacral spinal nerves innervate the digestive system. The lumbar and ...
neckpain11/23/2004
  Q: have on going neck pain from long time ago injury. Have taken up swimming and am finding getting ...
  A: X-ray of the cervical spine would help, it would allow you to see how much/little degeneration has ...
Vaccines11/8/2004
  Q: I am doing a school project on vaccines. I hope you dont mind me asking for your opinion on them. ...
  A: I have done some limited reseach on the subject. What I found to be in the scientific journals and ...
I have a herniated disc [l5...11/4/2004
  Q: I have a herniated disc [l5 s1][i think]..have had terrible pain down right leg and back. I am now ...
  A: Epidurals will help with inflamation and pain, usually last about 1-3 months. Epidural will not ...
upper back pain11/3/2004
  Q: My upper back "creaks" when I take a deep breath sometimes? Is that my bones?
  A: It may be crepitus, which can be caused by scar tissue around the joints, tight muscles and tendons ...
Undergraduate studies of chiropractors11/2/2004
  Q: I am interested in becoming a chiropractor and was wondering what major to choose if the college of ...
  A: Yes, it does matter. You definately want a school which has a pre-med. program, this is required by ...
myofascial pain11/2/2004
  Q: i think i have myofascial pain but i am not sure. i am now a 38 year old male who has been involved ...
  A: If there is no arthritis to be seen on x-ray or MRI, it may be a myofascial condition. You may want ...
Chiropractor10/29/2004
  Q: I injured myself in yoga class at the end of April. It started out feeling like a pulled muscle in ...
  A: I would see a Doctor of Chiropractic, we are the biomechanical experts of the spine and whole body. ...
I am in pain!10/24/2004
  Q: I was involved in a car accident back in August. The person who hit me had auto insurance, but did ...
  A: I think part of your message was cut off. The insurance person you talked to, has told you a LIE!! ...
these old bones10/22/2004
  Q: last year i suffered from frozen shoulder...and stiffness in my left shoulder,,,,it took over 12 ...
  A: Hey, you are never to old! The most benefit may come from Chiropractic care. You want to find a ...
I am Interested...10/12/2004
  Q: I am interested in being a Chiropractor. I was wondering if you could give be some pointers, or ...
  A: The most science based and probably considered the best chiropractic college is Northwestern in ...
sciatica pain & stretching routine10/8/2004
  Q: Recently (3-4 days ago) I started having some fairly moderate back pain that went into one of my ...
  A: Yes, definately keep stretching. I would incorporate the following stretches in addition: IT band, ...
could this be muscular?10/8/2004
  Q: I started having problems about 3 months ago where I felt like I could not breath properly for ...
  A: You may want to see a Doctor of Chiropractic for a exam and treatment of the cervical spine. I have ...
Syncope and "neck popping"10/5/2004
  Q: I have had several episodes of syncope in the last three weeks. I've been to a cardiologist, but ...
  A: Definately stop popping your neck!! You may be moving the joints in the wrong direction! Snycope ...
Ischial Bursitis10/4/2004
  Q: For several months, I have had pain in both hips, diagnosed as ischial bursitis. Various analgesics ...
  A: Chiropractic may help with your bursitis. Bursae become inflamed usually due to friction (tight ...
how did u get your job/ how do u think it will change10/4/2004
  Q: How did you get started as a chiropractor? How do you see jobs in this field changing in the ...
  A: You must be filling out a questionare! But I actually started my own clinic straight out of school. ...
typical day of chiropractors10/4/2004
  Q: On a typical day in this position, what do you do? What personal qualities or abilities are ...
  A: Doctors' of Chiropractic specialize in the biomechanics of the spine and ALL the joints in the body. ...
B12 Deficiency9/29/2004
  Q: I suffer from headaches/lightheaded feeling for many years till 3 months ago my Doctor tested my B12 ...
  A: Yes, Chiropractic adjustments to the specific vertebrea from which the nerves go to the stomach may ...
length of treatment9/27/2004
  Q: For a typical case of whiplash from a car accident, how long do you think it would take to correct ...
  A: Well, There is nothing typical in a motor vehicle collision. When a car is traveling at only 5mph ...
hope you can help9/16/2004
  Q: can tight muscles in back of neck cause ear problems...lately it feels like my jaw is locking my ...
  A: Yes, tight muscles in the back and front of the neck can cause pressure aroound and in the ears. ...
Acupuncture for lower back pain?9/15/2004
  Q: Firstly, thanks for taking time off to read my query.I was a sports freak till 2002 when I injured ...
  A: Hey Jigs! No problem, I'm a sports freak too. Acupuncture may work great for pain in the lower ...
TMJ9/14/2004
  Q: I suffer from a severe case of TMJ. I am going to be going on a long road trip soon(which I am ...
  A: If you have time before you leave, I would see a doctor of chiropractic and have the soft tissues ...
Hi, I was wondering, let's...9/7/2004
  Q: I was wondering, let's say i sprained ( a minor sprained) my knee cap, is there such a thing? And ...
  A: Yes, any of those things may have happened. In general bones heal in 4 weeks, Muscles heal in 3-4 ...
Chiropractic care?9/6/2004
  Q: Here's my story....over the last month, when I least expect it, one side of my lower back will ...
  A: With a temperature it may be a bladder or kidney infection, these can cause low back pain. Then you ...
neck length8/29/2004
  Q: Dr. Brendon Is it possible to lengthen the human neck? ...
  A: Yes, it is possible. Some cultures believe the length of your neck conisides with your beauty. You ...
TMJ8/22/2004
  Q: I have delt with TMJ for the last 4 years and after seeing dentist after dentist I have not found ...
  A: Chiropractic treatment may significantly help your TMJ pain. Extensive myofascial work around the ...
chiro concerns8/18/2004
  Q: I'm a 32 yr old female who has been having what my chiropractor says is sciatica. The symptoms I ...
  A: The sciatic nerve pain will travel through the buttocks and down the back of the leg, sometimes even ...
Can depression be helped?8/17/2004
  Q: I have severe depression and have been to counteless doctors, councelors, psychologists, ...
  A: Chiropractic can definately help. When you are in pain all the time, pain can be a contributing ...
Hope you can help.8/16/2004
  Q: im 50 year old female that had b12 deficiency for a couple of months that was not picked up, I used ...
  A: You may have a calcium deficiency, You may want to increase your intake of calcium to 1200-1500 ...
Symptoms and possible chiropractic help8/11/2004
  Q: I am a runner and I recently developed pain in my lower back, front of the hip, my buttock, and a ...
  A: Yes, Chiropractic care would be very beneficial in your case. I work on a lot of marathon runners ...

All Questions in This Category

Chiropractors

Dr. Brendon J. O`Brien, D.C.

Top Expert on this page