Chiropractors/Questions Answered by Expert Scott F. Gillman, DC, DACBSP

SubjectDate Asked
spine11/21/2016
  Q: I've started seeing a chiropractic for my hip pain about for week ago. I'm in my 20's. Neck and back ...
  A: First off, there is no such thing as misalignment getting put back into alignment. It's about ...
Osteoporosis and going to a chiropractor2/3/2016
  Q: I had made an appointment with a chiropractor, but then I read if you have osteoporosis, that you ...
  A: Yes, DC's treat people with osteoporosis. However, do NOT get x-rays at the chiropractic office. ...
Shoulder blades stick out12/29/2015
  Q: I'm 13 years old, girl and my shoulder blades always stick out. Regardless of whether I'm standing ...
  A: Some young women who are lean will show prominent shoulder blades (scapulae) and it's just normal ...
prolotherapy/and or prolopuncture8/7/2015
  Q: I have a quick question. Is prolotherapy or prolopuncture good for a labrum tear? thanks
  A: Carley, Prolotherapy is not an appropriate treatment for a labrum tear. It would be a more ...
using the proadjuster to align c1 atlas3/15/2015
  Q: I had a chiropractor adjust my neck afterwards my ears rang and I felt sideways with pressure on my ...
  A: I would strongly suggest not putting too much confidence in x-rays. The real question for each of ...
intervertebal discs1/18/2015
  Q: My age is 24 and i am a software engineer . I wanted to know that "does looking down for mobile or ...
  A: Rahul, The body can be placed in a posture or position that is straining when it is kept there for ...
Treatment Recommendations12/5/2014
  Q: Dr G, I'm a 32 year old male that's suffered from lower back pain for a little over 4 years. Left ...
  A: Bone spurs do not correlate with back pain. Many folks with osteoarthritic spur formation have no ...
sacralization10/15/2014
  Q: I am a 35 year old male and was diagnosed with partial sacralization of L5/S1. I have limited range ...
  A: Eric, The bottom line is this: if your bones have the room to move into a better range, and ...
pinched nerve in back of shoulder10/15/2014
  Q: Scott, I am a 43 year old male who been experiencing nerve pain. I notice the pain several ...
  A: Rick, Your sleep position could be putting tension on the radial nerve. Curious why you don't ...
Activator & bruising10/9/2014
  Q: I have had adjustments where an activator was used before, even by my current chiropractor. Today I ...
  A: Ann, It's quite unusual to get bruising and welts from an Activator instrument, so I wonder just ...
Elevated 1st rib 23 years of chronic pain9/14/2014
  Q: I live in NJ, and have seen 30 doctors mostly 23 years ago, although recently have decided to try ...
  A: Deborah, There are some of the best chiropractors (and worst) chiropractors in the state of NJ, ...
low back pain8/17/2014
  Q: I am a 43 year old male weighing 160 pounds and six foot tall. I have no history of lower back ...
  A: Rick, This is a textbook demonstration of lumbar intervertebral disc irritation. When the trunk ...
Chronic pain due to chiropractic care7/29/2014
  Q: A couple of years ago I was convinced to go to a Maximized Living Chiropractor to improve my overall ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. As soon as I saw "Maximized Living" I knew I was not going ...
back pain supplement or cream6/11/2014
  Q: is there any supplement or cream that can heal nerve pain in the back. my left shoulder pain is ...
  A: "Heal nerve pain"? No. Alleviate the symptoms? That's different. Any topical on the market has ...
neck strain4/13/2014
  Q: I have had neck strain for the past week. I also been on the computer late at night which I think is ...
  A: Well, first off, you really have not provided me with a lot of information. Therefore, the logical ...
Strange feeling on back side of the head4/9/2014
  Q: I'm 20 year old guy. 2 weeks ago I started having a strange feeling whenever I played video games ...
  A: Yes, it's pretty obvious that you had ergonomic constraint to your neck - a postural or positional ...
What would you think of this Xray?4/6/2014
  Q: I'm a 29yr female and I went to see a Chiropractor for pain between my left shoulder blade and ...
  A: I would say that it is not proven to be a big deal. In fact, if you simply stood up a little more ...
pinched nerve??3/10/2014
  Q: in October I twisted or did something weird to my back and in my pelvis there was a painless ...
  A: Desirai, You could have a hernited disc where the herniation fragments off and periodically gets ...
upper back pain3/8/2014
  Q: I've been having some upper back pain for about 3 weeks now. it all started when I tried to lower ...
  A: Christopher, Three weeks? Get it checked out by a chiropractor. See if your PCP has any ...
traction2/28/2014
  Q: My Chiropractor said I have (posterior??) pelvic tilt. He wants to straighten it with adjustments ...
  A: Yes, you are being strung along. He is not going to fix pelvic tilt with traction. Doubtful it ...
low back pain1/17/2014
  Q: I have had a continuous lower back pain for the last month or so and have recently just been ...
  A: Likely what he means is that your pelvic, or Sacro-Iliac, joints have lost their normal springy ...
chiropractic injury1/10/2014
  Q: Ill try and be brief,I went to a chiropractor for a neck adjustment,he pulled my head, I suddenly ...
  A: That's really too bad you had such a bad experience. It shouldn't be like that. First of, was ...
Could this be costochondritis or fibromyalgia?12/20/2013
  Q: For 4 weeks now I've been having this strange chest pain on and off, below the 3rd rib on the right ...
  A: Rebecca, THis could be a stuck or dysfunctional rib in the front of your chest, or at its ...
Physical Injury Question12/10/2013
  Q: Note: I posed this question to another DC; however, it was rejected. You are my second try :). ...
  A: First, if you're playing racquetball, I'm going to guess you are middle aged at the least. Yes? ...
Slipped rib syndrome?11/20/2013
  Q: I'm a 28 year old woman. My question is about an upper left abdominal ache that I think may be ...
  A: You can first try to a massage therapist or chiropractor to release any possible adhesions under the ...
back pain flare up11/5/2013
  Q: about 1 1/2 yrs ago I was in a 4 car collision car accident and I was hit by a car going 55mph ...
  A: Sorry to hear you're in such a quagmire with your condition. First, research has demonstrated ...
Joint manipulation Physiology10/18/2013
  Q: I am 30, and regularly visit a chiropractor for general wellness and mobility. I always wondered how ...
  A: James, This is a very astute question! The problem stems from the outdated definitions of what a ...
Back of Neck10/14/2013
  Q: I have been having daily headaches that feel like a tension headache. Also I noticed that when I ...
  A: Jill, Going off BCP likely is not the cause of the headaches. While it is true that being ON a ...
lower back pain9/21/2013
  Q: My fiance went to a chiropractor and the next morning he is in more pain than he was before he went. ...
  A: Yes. Sometimes this happens: an adverse reaction to treatment, or reaction to the physical ...
Knees9/13/2013
  Q: Scott I am 55 Three years ago, playing soccer with my kids, I injured both knees. The right one was ...
  A: Surely, Bud, seeing a good quality sports chiropractor would help, but you must be sure it is a ...
cervical mobilization side effects6/22/2013
  Q: I am 35 y/o, female, moderately physically active. An xray taken 2 years ago showed degenerative ...
  A: 1: There is no such thing a vertebra that rotates out of place. What we see on an x-ray and think ...
runner's butt6/9/2013
  Q: Have you seen Runner's Butt with tennis players? I an a very active 50 year old competitive tennis ...
  A: Yes. Surely. Runners Butt is just like saying Tennis Elbow.... you don't have to play tennis to ...
Possible undergraduate majors to be a chiropractor6/6/2013
  Q: I have been considering becoming a chiropractor, but I am unsure of what steps to take to go on my ...
  A: Get a BS degree in Biology. Then, apply to a fully accredited chiropractic college. I went to ...
Back and neck problem6/5/2013
  Q: Greeting doctor, I m a very active young girl and recently my sport coach notice that my back is not ...
  A: I hope I can assist here. I don't know your age. Younger than 17? You need to get more ...
slipped rib syndrome5/29/2013
  Q: I read another question/answer on here about slipped rib syndrome. I have been dealing with this for ...
  A: I would guess that the pain management specialist would be the first choice. The problem is that ...
Pain at end of rib at right back side!5/18/2013
  Q: I have been having pain at the end of rib at my right back side while sleeping only. I have shooting ...
  A: Rasmi, Go to your doctor and get a blood test that has a full "panel" of items, including liver ...
Neck pain left side and CT results5/5/2013
  Q: I have a history of neck pain and have previously had a C5-C6 fusion. Over the last ten months I ...
  A: Tamlin, You have an arthritic neck. The joints are degenerated, with bone spurs and cartilage ...
shoulder4/16/2013
  Q: I fell off a ladder and separated my shoulder. A doctor said it will heal by itself. It's getting ...
  A: Dick, It will heal and you will always have a bump. Usually the bump reduces in size a little bit ...
Neck and lower back issues4/13/2013
  Q: In 2004, I started experiencing some tingling and numbness in my left leg. My PCP at the time ...
  A: Wow! A bruised adrenal gland? All I can think of is that she had you on your belly and pushed ...
regarding t7 injury4/12/2013
  Q: My daughter had superior t7 endplate fracture.pls tell me, what is the precautions in future.can she ...
  A: I need more background information on your daughter to answer this sufficiently. If she is in ...
3 year old with "popping" rib4/8/2013
  Q: My 3 year old daughter has been experiencing issues with her lower left ribs. Whenever I pick her up ...
  A: Mike, With no obvious pain symptoms, likely it's benign joint noise that is not uncommon in ...
Correct damage from Heel Lifts4/1/2013
  Q: Dr Gillman, Hope you can help. My right leg is shorter than my left. I was the one that ...
  A: In a recent metaanalysis of research on leg length discrepancy and treatmnet, the conclusion was ...
Pinched nerve in neck3/28/2013
  Q: Two months ago I sustained a cervical spine injury doing a yoga pose, I believe (shoulderstand into ...
  A: What you are describing is quite common. You deserve to obtain some manual therapy by a DC before ...
disc injury/facet/SI3/2/2013
  Q: 5 years ago I suffered a grade 5 lateral tear to disc L4. To this day I am still feeling pain. Pain ...
  A: Sorry you've had such difficulty. The first thing I'd want to know is whether you have a positive ...
neck pain2/12/2013
  Q: Im an otherwise healthy 40 y/o male. I was diagnosed with scolosis ( between the shoulders) as a ...
  A: Absolutely, this is the kind of stuff we are trained to diagnose and treat. See if you can find a ...
Sexual Misconduct???2/12/2013
  Q: Please help, I am so consumed by something that occurred at my drs office this last week & feel very ...
  A: Caroline, From what you are describing, this is sexual misconduct. It doesn't matter if he is the ...
my neck keeps slipping out of place2/11/2013
  Q: Dr. G, I am a runner and was having lower back pain due to all the pounding on the pavement. The ...
  A: I'd bet that your neck is still not aligned. Conversely, I bet I could take 10 x-rays of your neck ...
Lightheadedness and Other Strange Symptoms1/23/2013
  Q: I'm a 37 year old woman and have been experiencing lightheadedness for the last four years. The room ...
  A: I'm sure your situation is frustrating. There is literature on "cervicogenic vertego." This is ...
Spondylolisthesis1/21/2013
  Q: Gillman, I have been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis roughly 9 months ago. The doctor never ...
  A: I am assuming you are a high school or college athlete. Understand that many athletes with Spondy ...
Shoulder and back pain1/18/2013
  Q: I am a 13 year old female athlete. I currently play basketball and fastpitch softball. I have always ...
  A: First, I am assuming you have discussed this with your parents, and that they are sharing this ...
Bulging Disc11/30/2012
  Q: I have a bulging disc in my L5 S1 and I've had pain and I've done physical therapy and my pain went ...
  A: If you had an MRI of your lower back, it would already tell you the extent to which you have any ...
Ribs: Painful popping11/18/2012
  Q: On the lower right portion of my ribs I tend to get a pressure that builds up. This has probably ...
  A: Yes, this could be a slipping rib syndrome. Here's a great review article on it: ...
trick knee11/11/2012
  Q: Scott Two years ago I sprained my right knee running. It took almost two years to heal. My doctor ...
  A: Bud, There is more to the body than what your MRI might delineate, and more than what your ...
lumbar spondylosis10/17/2012
  Q: I'm 44 years and a mother of 2 girls: 14 and 6 years old respectively. I started having little lower ...
  A: Spondylosis simply means that your bones have some degenerative changes to them. Some people have ...
Shoulder weights for postural correction10/11/2012
  Q: Gillman, My partner has problems with poor posture (drooping shoulders, slouching) that are ...
  A: There's a lot of contraptions on the market, but, frankly, she would do well to strengthen her ...
Thoracic back10/10/2012
  Q: Gillman, I was wondering what you would recommend. My orthopaedic surgeon says I have ...
  A: First of all, you do not have any spondylo-listhesis (or forward slipping of one vertebra on the ...
ribs10/9/2012
  Q: I am a 50 yr old mom of 4, and over the past 10 years I have injured my ribs probably 6 or 7 times. ...
  A: Sue, I am assuming you don't have any connective tissue diseases, e.g. Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, or ...
long term damage from weekly rib subluxation/manipulation10/5/2012
  Q: I am a 21 year old rugby player. I have had a long term injury that was originally diagnosed just as ...
  A: Regarding Q. 1: Repeated strain to a joint system, e.g. spine/ribs can lead to a syndrome of chronic ...
worsening pain after chiropractic adjustment10/4/2012
  Q: I'm 32 weeks pregnant and went in for an adjustment for severe pubic bone pain and a left hip that ...
  A: Pregnant women are very prone to a condition called Osteitis Pubis (go to google images to see this) ...
Pain back9/29/2012
  Q: I do track and field. Just today I have notice my back was in so much pain and I could feel my back ...
  A: Jenny, You need a specialist. Find a good sports chiropractor. I know there is a chiropractic ...
DDD, Anterior Disk Herniation and Walking with Backward Lean9/28/2012
  Q: I am a low back (L5-S1) patient that has had everything done over the past five years without any ...
  A: Dan, You may simply have a shot spinal joint, with a cruddy degenerative disc and a lot of pressure ...
Neck9/26/2012
  Q: Gillman Thank you for taking the time to look at my message. I was wondering if I could ask you a ...
  A: Richard, Your x-ray is fine. First, few people have a perfect neck curve. Also, there is no ...
Neck tension and headaches9/20/2012
  Q: I have started to experience a lot of neck and shoulder tension, resulting in headaches. I get a lot ...
  A: Alison, First: No x-ray. It will not tell you what the problem is or how to treat it. If you ...
Painful hump on upper back9/5/2012
  Q: In the past year or so I've also developed a protruding bony hump on my upper back that seems to ...
  A: It sounds like you have what's called a "Dowager's Hump." You can blame your mother...it's ...
pain in my arm9/4/2012
  Q: I am 51 years old and have a problem with my arms and hands my left arm hurts all the time like a ...
  A: Patti, Most likely, this can be a herniated disc in your neck (cervical spine) that is compressing ...
Patient of a Chiropractor: can you help me.8/31/2012
  Q: In March I went to see a chiropractor, I had extreme pain in my neck and lower back. I already had ...
  A: Don't feel embarrassed. You didn't know what to expect. Sadly, there is no ready information to ...
Choosing a chiropractor for the first time8/28/2012
  Q: I am a 38 year old female that has never had a chiropractic adjustment. I am currently being ...
  A: It is no surprise you are having a difficult time. Chiropractors vary in their skill-set, ...
Sternum bump/rib head?, cartilage?8/28/2012
  Q: My name is Corey, and I'm a healthy 24 year old male. Recently (for the past 4ish months) I have ...
  A: As you may have discovered, there is not a lot of good clinical data on this, and lots of opinions. ...
Neck pain for over 3 years8/13/2012
  Q: I have had chronic neck pain and stiffness for the past 3-4 years. The pain is pretty mild and not ...
  A: First: stop spending 10 minutes stretching your neck. What you are likely doing is 10 minutes of ...
Upper Back Pain from Heavy Lifting8/11/2012
  Q: I am currently 18 years old, a little overweight, 5 / 11, 250lbs. I am visiting my grandparents and ...
  A: Sam, 'Sounds like you simply strained your back. Yeah, it hurts. The cracking noises often come ...
Severe pain in shoulder8/9/2012
  Q: When the pain first started my little finger and ring finger and the left side of my palm went numb, ...
  A: This could be one of the following: 1) Cervical spine disc bulge touching against the spinal nerve ...
Should I continue seeing this chiropractor?8/7/2012
  Q: I am a 21 year old very healthy woman. I was having migraines and my doctor noticed the tension in ...
  A: Yes, you are correct, that everyone has altered positions of alignment of bones and there is little ...
Chest xray8/5/2012
  Q: A year and a half ago I went to a Maximize Living Chiropractor and he did a chest xray. When I ...
  A: Mae, You need to write a complaint to your state's licensing board. You need to copy/past your ...
Numbness/Tingling in legs after long flight8/4/2012
  Q: I recently spent 8 hours on an overnight plane trip, 3 hours sitting in an airport, and another hour ...
  A: If you have DVT ruled out, then the next logical diagnostic possibility is mild nerve compression. ...
Hip coming out of place, knee swelling7/22/2012
  Q: I am a 26 year old female. When I was 21, I was injured in a car accident. I was in so much pain the ...
  A: 'Sorry you're having such difficulties. I know it's frustrating, especially at only 26 years of ...
L5 S1 Central extrusion and chiropractic7/19/2012
  Q: and have been doing physical therapy for about 3 months (mackenzie technique) and have tried ...
  A: 'Jersey has some of the best and some of the worst chiropractors on the planet. There are Olympic ...
cervical spine7/12/2012
  Q: An MRI showed that two of my vertebrates have fused together from an apparent fracture of my neck ...
  A: The only time this requires surgery is if you have chronic pain that significantly impacts your ...
chronic neck, lower back, shoulder and knee pain7/3/2012
  Q: I am 32 years old amd have had chronic pain from my neck to my knees for as long as i can remember. ...
  A: Erica, Has anyone checked to see if you have a "hypermobility syndrome," also known in it's worst ...
Pins and needles7/2/2012
  Q: More so the sole of my foot towards the toes. I can bend toes, walk on them there's no pain or ...
  A: Jason, I could use a bit more information, but I guess that from what you're saying the heavy ...
tens unit6/24/2012
  Q: I'm a 28 year old male who gets muscle knots in my back when I weight lift. so far the only thing to ...
  A: Aaron, No, a TENS unit will not get rid of them. It would be a waste of your time and money. ...
whiplash injury6/24/2012
  Q: Can you please inform me as to the possibility of a whiplash injury causing atrial fibrillation ? My ...
  A: Iain, I have never heard of any association. There is not a shred of literature on it. But ...
Sudden front shoulder pain6/13/2012
  Q: I am 39 years old, I train with weights regularly 3 times a week, I trained since I was very young ...
  A: Fabricio, You have a common condition. In general it is called a "shoulder impingement syndrome." ...
pain in the upper back area6/9/2012
  Q: I am 46 year old woman weighing 50 kg approx , I work as a teacher for the primary class students- I ...
  A: You have a very common situation. Please understand, that while it is not possible to definitively ...
Electrical muscle stimulation6/2/2012
  Q: Went to my chiropractor last week. Been have excruciating lower back pain since I found out I was ...
  A: I have to agree with your OB that is would not my first choice, but alternatively that I have not ...
3 back concerns6/1/2012
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I've read many of your posts and learned so much including where to find guidelines on ...
  A: Gary, Thanks for the positive feedback! It's too bad there's not a greater pool of DC's in your ...
Continue Chiro Sessions?5/31/2012
  Q: My 21-year old daughter has just completed 35 sessions with her chiropractor. She initially went in ...
  A: I believe this is excessive and unnecessary care. He stated, "The 24 visits that I have suggested ...
lower back pain (l4-l5 problem)5/24/2012
  Q: i am 48 yrs old. i am experiencing lower back pain in left side of my back from last 4 yrs. some ...
  A: Pradeep, This is a common problem. While there are several anatomic parts to your back that ...
Neck Pain5/21/2012
  Q: I have suffered from chronic pain in my neck, primarily on the left side. For about a year, I have ...
  A: Mark, Alignment and misalignment still get tossed around, and it is often just an easy thing for ...
Maximized Living5/18/2012
  Q: I went to a Maximized living Chiropractor for my 9 year old daughter. I was so surprised that they ...
  A: Mia, I would suggest running like all heck out of that office! You experienced the cult called ...
shoulder instability and TOS?5/17/2012
  Q: I have quite a bit of background, so here we go. I was a competitive swimmer in my youth and ...
  A: I've never seen literature to tie shoulder instability to TOS. Nevertheless, you seem to have TOS ...
Pain in shoulder, arm and hand numbness5/17/2012
  Q: About 8 weeks ago I woke up one morning with what I will call a tightness in my back on the left ...
  A: Tom, This is a classic situation. It is coming from your neck. The nerve root or a nerve in the ...
Angular tear medication?5/14/2012
  Q: An MRI scan revealed an angular tear in Lumbar 4. I am breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. The Dr. ...
  A: Jacolene, It sounds like this is a medical/pharmaceutical question regarding Piroxicam (Feldine). ...
BioPhysics and Traction5/4/2012
  Q: I have ready pros and cons on whether adding traction both in office and at home to a chiropractic ...
  A: First: There is no such thing a a subluxation as defined in the traditional, old, outdated, ...
First rib elevation, pain and instability5/3/2012
  Q: Since an auto accident in 2010 left me with a bad case of whiplash, my first rib has been causing a ...
  A: You have a complicated issue. The stark reality is that there is no proven system for dealing with ...
chest pain after adjustment5/2/2012
  Q: I see a chiropractor mainly due to migraines/stiff neck. I went last week, and he layed me flat on ...
  A: Yes, it's quite possible you got strained from the procedure. Pressing on the back when you are ...
Constant back and shoulder Cracking and Popping5/2/2012
  Q: I am a healthy, active 18 year old girl but as of late I have been having some back pain, ...
  A: This is common in young people. Jont cracking sounds that are initiated by movement or stretching ...
Popping SI joints?4/27/2012
  Q: Every few weeks or so for the last couple decades I've had moderate pain and tightness in my lower ...
  A: It's quite possible your are gapping your SI joints and it makes noise. So long as it's not ...
Initial exam4/26/2012
  Q: I recently went to a chiropractor, seeking treatment for relief of mild tingling in my left face ...
  A: While many DC's still play with the silly leg length thing, the reality is that it is not a ...
Pain and Numbness in Left arm, index finger and thumb4/23/2012
  Q: I'm a high energy, healthy 47 year old. I began having numbness in my left index finger and thumb ...
  A: Marcia, I don't know what sort of "jarring impact" injury you sustained. Nevertheless, your ...
Back pain after pregnancy4/20/2012
  Q: I am 8 months from my last pregnancy and I have back pain throughout my pregnancies. Now it hurts ...
  A: Jessica, You need to find someone who will do the "Prone Instability Test" on you. Go ahead and ...
Lower Back Pains Mimic Menstrual Cramps?4/17/2012
  Q: Can a lower back injury/pain mimic period cramps and cause pain in the hip joint area? About a year ...
  A: Yes, your situation is all too familiar. You simply need to find a good chiropractor. No x-rays ...
chronic pain4/14/2012
  Q: there is pain in my one eye for three year now i feel pressure also and huge amount of pain on right ...
  A: Pankaj, You could have several different conditions causing this. It could be as minor as muscle ...
Is it really Necessary?4/13/2012
  Q: I went to a Chiropractor for the first time ever last week, I have been suffering with severe back ...
  A: Cory, No. Absolutely way off of current, evidence-guided, patient-centered, treatment guidelines. ...
SI Joint3/30/2012
  Q: My SI joint has been bothering me for the past two years or so, but only to a distracting extent ...
  A: First off, forget about horror stories, because chiropractic healthcare is the safest primary mode ...
visits3/21/2012
  Q: I have been going to a chiropractor for about 4 months now. I was going three times a week but ...
  A: Yes, this is a typical scenario. There really has to be a balance between dosing at the right ...
chest pain3/17/2012
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I'm hoping you may be able to help shed light on a troubling problem I've been having. ...
  A: At age 26, it's most likely not your heart... Scoliosis makes you more vulnerale to joint stress ...
Spondylolisthesis3/6/2012
  Q: I have been going to the same chiropractor for about 7 years about once a month. I started to have ...
  A: Allison, Run - don't walk - out of this clown's office. I cannot begin to tell you how ...
floating rib pain2/29/2012
  Q: Gillman, I have had an UNDIAGNOSED pain in my right side (under my rib cage)since May,2006. I have ...
  A: I have to agree that the pain is related to the 11-12 rib if an anesthetic block injection made the ...
myofascial pain syndrome2/27/2012
  Q: is high powered rf estim bad for you. It seemed to work at first but I now have worse shoulder pain ...
  A: I have not seen any evidence that it is bad for you. But, like a lot of things, too much might not ...
Rotated Pelvis/Sacroilliac Pain & Compensatory Scoliosis2/24/2012
  Q: Gillman, In advance, thank you for your time and opinion. I am a 29yr old female that has been ...
  A: Your long story and details makes it easier for me to provide a quality reply. Childhood injuries ...
Rib cage injury2/14/2012
  Q: I am 26 years old, in pretty good shape and spend a good amount of time excercising. Last week ...
  A: Pete, If you did not experience immediate rib pain, then there's a good chance you did not fracture ...
C7 T12/9/2012
  Q: I have been diagnosed with C7 T1 disc bulge what would be your advice can a chiropractor help me . ...
  A: Varoush, This depends on whether you have neurologic signs or not. Neuro' signs mean that you have ...
About sacrolitic pain and treatment2/7/2012
  Q: Sir, i have pain in my buttok side and lower thigh muscules and it radiate in the sacrum area, ...
  A: Atul, You simply need to go to a good chiropractor if all you have is sacroiliac pain and referral ...
L5-S1 disc herniation2/5/2012
  Q: Could you share your personal opinion regarding the following problem please? I have attached a ...
  A: Your advisors are wrong about your sacrum or lordosis. You clearly have a disc bulge that is ...
rib injury1/26/2012
  Q: Gillman, I am a climbing arborist and five weeks ago I wrestled too large a piece of wood over my ...
  A: Brian, You stated, "the very edge of my rib cage. This lump is about five finger-widths down from ...
tingling, right thumb and index finger1/17/2012
  Q: I believe this might be due to C6 misalignment. Would massage therapy a contraindication for this ...
  A: Cinda, Tingling in thumb/index finger is about a C6 "NERVE" issue, not a misaligment issue. It ...
Lumbar annular tear1/12/2012
  Q: I was told by the doctor I saw that I had a lumbar annular tear. I am devastated as I am a very ...
  A: Carlos, Lots of people get annular tears in their discs. It's what discs can do when they ...
dizzyness and bulging discs1/10/2012
  Q: About 10 years ago I had an MRI which revealed bulging discs between C4 and C5. I have adjusted much ...
  A: Tara, Many folks have bulging discs in their spine and it is often not the cause of their problems. ...
Torn cartalige in Rib12/27/2011
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I am currently on my way to becoming a certified Yoga Instructor. I have 3 months to ...
  A: Michele, First of all, how are you sure you tore anything, and how do you know if it is cartilage ...
Contortionist back problems?12/23/2011
  Q: I am a beginner contortionist and have recently started to do backbends. A week ago I was ...
  A: Lauren, You greatly run the risk of fracturing a part of your lumbar vertebra called the pars ...
parathesia around right shoulder12/23/2011
  Q: Maybe you can help figure out my problem. First of all I am 57 yrs young and quite active. Approx. ...
  A: Mark, The symptoms you're describing are common among a few conditions. I'll list them: Cervical ...
Sacro iliac joint sublaxation12/18/2011
  Q: In 2002 I had a L5/S1 discectomy after struggling with sciatica for almost a year. My pain was ...
  A: David, Forget about the stuck SI joint. It is not the problem, but a finding on you that very ...
Piriformis/cramps12/1/2011
  Q: I've had tightness in my right glute for the past few weeks (the symptoms seem to match those of ...
  A: True piriformis syndrome is rare. The most common cause for the combination of back-butt-calf pain ...
Left Leg Injury11/20/2011
  Q: I was seeing a chiropractor for a left leg injury. While I was seeing this chiropractor I was giving ...
  A: There are lots of ways to adjust the pelvis, including being on your side or on your belly. On ...
neck pain11/17/2011
  Q: .i have been having neck pain now from the start of this year (2011) and have been at 2 different ...
  A: Kevin, Bag the physios because the electric stimulation does not fix neck pain, and secondly they ...
Back pain/tightness11/13/2011
  Q: i am a college runner and swimmer.i am currently swimming 5 days a week and running about once or ...
  A: Stim is a waste of your time since it does not change anything or fix anything. Heat can be ...
sijd11/11/2011
  Q: si joint dynfuciton is this alot of crap? i have quite a few things wrong with my back with more ...
  A: Yes, actually you can have SI joint dysfunction, but it is a "presumptive diagnosis." It is proven ...
Spinal stenosis11/9/2011
  Q: What are the best options for treating my spinal stenosis. I have seen a sports and rehab doctor and ...
  A: Robert, This is not an uncommon problem, and unfortunately if you have a lot of arthritic, ...
Hip Injury10/17/2011
  Q: I have been seeing a chiropractor for years. I see one monthly to maintain my alignment. I ...
  A: Suzanne, First off, the chiropractor must use due diligence in thoroughly examining and diagnosing ...
tx for reverse curve in neck.10/13/2011
  Q: I’ve read some other similar posts & your responses to them but alas! Still my brain persists. ...
  A: Jess, My response to you is the same as the response to others that encountered this pathetic ...
Golf injurie10/12/2011
  Q: I've read this question here from a guy who I believe has the same exact problem like me. He said: ...
  A: Hugo, Ask your chiropractor to strength test the serratus anterior, the pectoralis major (sternal ...
Low Spine Disc Thickness9/29/2011
  Q: I am a 39 year old male and recently went to a chiropractor who took x-rays which showed the disc ...
  A: Yes, it is possible that the degenerated disc is the source of your pain, and it is possible that it ...
Chronic neck/upper back strain9/28/2011
  Q: Back in the fall of 2008 I was performing a stretching exercise that involved twisting my rib cage. ...
  A: You need to have a consultation with an interventional pain management specialist. These are MD's ...
Back and Leg Issues9/26/2011
  Q: I am a 45 year old male, I'm 6'3, 275 pounds. Constantly fighting to try to control or lose weight. ...
  A: Lee, Yes, you might find a lot of relief with a clinically astute and well skilled chirpractor. ...
Numbness in lower left leg9/24/2011
  Q: Okay i am i 18 year old and for the last couple days my leg has been feeling very wired. It actually ...
  A: Okay. Here are your choices: Wait and see, and it might just resolve on its own. It's only ...
bulging disc9/17/2011
  Q: I was diagnosed in January with a mild bulge in my left cervical spine. I had bad pain from my neck ...
  A: J, Yes, it could very likely be the same bulged disc, but bulging on the other side. Also, if ...
Spinal Curve measurements - Maximized Living9/16/2011
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I happened upon this site while searching for information about Maximized Living. I ...
  A: Andrew, Your gut feeling on Maximized Living is genuine. There is good reason why they are banned ...
Slipping rib8/26/2011
  Q: My 22 year old daughter has suffered with slipping ribs for several years now. She gets temporary ...
  A: If all the chiropractor does is "pop it back into place" via joint manipulation, then she is missing ...
back curvature8/25/2011
  Q: My son wants to go to a Dr. and doesn't know which kind to go to. The top of his back seems a little ...
  A: Well, this is an easy answer: go to a chiropractor. He obviously isn't sick, so he does not need ...
Non mechanical back pain8/24/2011
  Q: I have had back pain off & on since last November. For the last 3-4 weeks it has become worse. ...
  A: What kind of doctor? A PCP? They are doctors of internal medicine and not musculoskeletal ...
Rib looks popped out8/23/2011
  Q: I am curently doing cross country righr now. I was wondering why me left bottom rib looks popped ...
  A: It sounds like you are straining your rib as you run, causing a muscular reaction (where it gets ...
curvature of spine8/23/2011
  Q: Greetings from UK. I'm grateful for your valuable time. I'm a 'young' 71yrs. Trained as dancer from ...
  A: First of all, there is no true re-positioning of bones with manipulation. Manipulation will improve ...
Neck bones misalignment8/15/2011
  Q: just last week i saw a chiropractor for the first time just because of some minor neck pain. My ...
  A: Isabella, Everyone's bones are misaligned to some degree. It's a flawed concept that the ...
Loss of Cervical Curve in Neck8/8/2011
  Q: I have had sinus issues for the past 3 years. I seem to always get sick with viruses, sinus ...
  A: I'm sorry to say that this is not appropriate treatment. There is no evidence that you can get ...
Back pain8/7/2011
  Q: Elderly active female experiencing severe low back pain, extends to outer hips , at times very ...
  A: Yes, if the x-rays showed a lot of degenerative changes to the joints and, more so, a lot of loss of ...
Back pain - Injections or wait?7/31/2011
  Q: Background: 30 year old female, born with talipes in the right leg, tendon lengthened at 18 months, ...
  A: Lauren, This all depends on your symptoms and pain tolerance, as well as your neurologic exam ...
Costochondritis7/21/2011
  Q: I am a healthy 21 year old female, 110 lb., 5’3”. Exactly a month ago I did some heavy breathing ...
  A: Michaela, Find a reputable chiropractor in your area. Check lists such as: www.acbsp.com or ...
Headache after chiro7/12/2011
  Q: For the third time in a row now I have had a slowly increasing headache after having my chiropractor ...
  A: Angie, If the neck pain is gone and your sleep is okay, then you are done. Still 3x/week? For ...
spinal cancer7/3/2011
  Q: My mother-in-law, was up and about pretty much normal, 6 weeks ago, taking care of her self with the ...
  A: Chuck, I am not clear about what you are describing here. Regardless, if you mother has cancer ...
Sore, Stifness, and tingling after 3rd adfjustment7/1/2011
  Q: I had my 2nd adjustment since my car wreck. After the first adjustment I felt relief in my neck and ...
  A: Amy, If you have a sprain/strain injury then the chiropractor has to really be careful about how ...
buttocks pain & release of emotions6/29/2011
  Q: I've been seeing a wonderful collaborative group in Chicago for the last week to help resolve ...
  A: Wendy, There are numerous cases (unpublished) of people having emotional experiences with manual ...
weight training6/20/2011
  Q: I was wondering what your thoughts would be about weight training in relation to lower back ...
  A: Gary, Just stay away from squats. Try instead going to split squats. This will take some ...
Chiropractor Pushed Too Hard on Back6/19/2011
  Q: Dr. Gillman I had been seeing chiropractic interns at a local college for the past 3 years for an ...
  A: Ken, Your middle back may simply be strained from the maneuver that the intern performed. This can ...
Should I get chiropractic care?6/17/2011
  Q: I'm nineteen, with a history of headaches, knee and ankle pain, and fatigue. Today I went to one of ...
  A: First, it is true that the chiropractors that do these sort of things can come across like con ...
Hip Pain6/13/2011
  Q: Dr. I am a 40 year old female......I have a pain in my hip and hurts when I walk..... I have been ...
  A: First, consider a basic hip x-ray to rule out any arthritic problems (often inherited) as well as ...
dislocated stomach6/12/2011
  Q: I just reposted because I dont see a reply button: My chiropractor told me he could fix my hiatal ...
  A: Kevin, You would first have to evaluate what really is going on. You need to schedule a visit with ...
Do I really need to fix this? (Reversed cervical curve)6/2/2011
  Q: I'm a 22-year-old female who just went to a chiropractor for the first time today. I went in because ...
  A: Jess, Sadly, this is a commonly encountered issue in chiropractic: is a lack of cervical lordosis ...
AC Joint pain6/1/2011
  Q: Quick background/history:- Age: 30 Years Bodytype: Athletic/ Ecto-mesomorph Profession: IT ...
  A: First, stop doing upright rows with a bar. It puts undue strain on the shoulder by placing the ...
adjustment ?5/24/2011
  Q: 2 months ago I was in the tub leaning back masterbating really hard (I'm not trying to be ...
  A: Richie, First, get the heck out of that "pro adjuster" office and find a chiropractor that will use ...
Leg Weakness5/23/2011
  Q: I am a 24 year old female experiencing extreme muscle fatigue in my legs especially when I am ...
  A: First, as you might discover from previous postings about back pain, x-rays are not advised and are ...
si joint manipulation put my back out of wack,5/19/2011
  Q: Since that day my lower back has been in rough shape. It is always tight and the muscles in lower ...
  A: Mark, That's too bad this happenned to you. There's no good explanation. I don't know if the ...
Burning sensation in tricep5/15/2011
  Q: I'm a 32 year old female. I play softball and I injured my throwing arm 5 years ago. Everytime I ...
  A: CD, When you say you "injured" your throwing arm 5 years ago, what does that mean? Did you break a ...
neck spasms, stiffness, jaw clicking, periodic vertigo5/10/2011
  Q: I have been having this combination of symptoms: neck pain - spasms, stiffness, cracking, some ...
  A: These symptoms are commonly associated with a jaw joint, or temoromandibular joint (TMJ). If you ...
Middle Back Pain5/4/2011
  Q: I've been having chronic back pain/soreness around my middle back, thoracic area, bilaterally, for ...
  A: Sorry I'm late on this. I don't know how I missed it in my email. Anyway, your situation is very ...
Arm pain numbness in thumb forefinger4/25/2011
  Q: Lately I have had increased pain in my bicep (underneath by armpit) whenever I lay on my stomach or ...
  A: Sorry for the delay on this. You must have just caught me before I set my "vacation/away" ...
Scoliosis and neck curve4/25/2011
  Q: I'm 22 years old and have had back pain since high school. I never maid a bid deal about it because ...
  A: Ricky, What I am going to tell you is based on current research and consensus on how do address ...
Rotated Pelvis/Up Slide Hip, Petruding SI Disc4/14/2011
  Q: I have been complaining for years about my hip and the pain in my lower back..but all my doctor's ...
  A: Pepper, First: tell your doctors to stop taking x-rays!!! Yes, your Lupus may be a culprit, ...
Hip pain4/13/2011
  Q: I had herniated two disc in my lower back( says a MRI )18 months ago shoveling snow which caused ...
  A: Jason, You need someone to do the "Prone Instability Test" on you. The PIT can be viewed on line ...
Extreme lower back pain when back is arched4/12/2011
  Q: Gillman, Thank you for taking the time to read my question. My problem is that I just got back into ...
  A: Chelsea, This is a crappy exercise! Your seated, thus your butt, hip, and thigh muscles are not ...
Separated Shoulder4/4/2011
  Q: Dr. Gillman, My son injured his shoulder in a baseball game two weeks. He went to an orthopedic ...
  A: Separation implies a separation of the joint between the clavicle and a ridge of bone from the ...
subluxation and loss of curve in neck4/2/2011
  Q: I just went to my 1st chiro appointment and left terrified that I might be slowly dying. They took ...
  A: Beverly, You were in the office of a charlatan, not a doctor. Get out! There are some excellent ...
Straight neck3/29/2011
  Q: Gillman, I have been seeing a physiotherapist for a year off and on for a SI joint problem that has ...
  A: Keep in mind that the object of setting up a booth at a wellness fair is to acquire new patients... ...
Localised pain in lumbar region (probably from gym work)3/25/2011
  Q: I am 27 yrs old. I live a fairly active,healthy lifestyle and I usually lift weights and run.I ...
  A: Yeah. It sounds like you have a lumbar facet joint strain or you have a chronic irritation to the ...
Can Beds REALLY Cause Long-Term Injury?3/10/2011
  Q: Gillman, My question is really that simple. Can beds cause long-term back injury? I've been ...
  A: Shawna, I have not seen any research on this topic. However, it is commonly experienced in ...
Questions on Persistent LBP3/10/2011
  Q: I have persistent Lower Back Pain that has been getting worse for the last 8 years. It started with ...
  A: Erica, Please read some of my other Q/A's on back pain (some fairly recent) where I discuss the ...
pes anserine + graston technique3/8/2011
  Q: I have had right medial knee pain that cannot be diagnosed for the past 9 months. My ART man tried ...
  A: Michelle, If you really do have pes anserine bursitis and clearly do not have any other issue, ...
Daughters spine3/4/2011
  Q: I am taking my 15 year old daughter to a chiropractor for 20 degree curve in her spine. we have been ...
  A: Suzanne, A small degree change? Is it possible that she simply stood up a little bit better on ...
Misaligned Rib2/27/2011
  Q: During the last week of December, I was recovering from a nasty cold and while having a particularly ...
  A: Okay. Here goes. This is the first problem: "The mechanized gun/ instrument leaves me in more ...
Severe pain in my left shoulder2/27/2011
  Q: Around November of last year (around the same time I got my flu shot) I began experiencing sharp, ...
  A: Your excellent description of symptoms clearly points to a diagnosis of nerve root impingement. The ...
Spinal Decompression2/5/2011
  Q: Gillman, My name is Russ. Several yrs ago i developed a compressed disc on the lower end of my ...
  A: You really need to get a general work up before considering spinal decompression therapy. There is ...
Arm pain and numbness1/28/2011
  Q: and I am a swimmer. Two years ago i got this right arm pain, like in my tricep, at about the end of ...
  A: Yes, it sure does sound like thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS). It also could be a shoulder girdle ...
shoulder/gymnastics1/18/2011
  Q: Scott, I'm a 21 year old guy who started gymnastics in winter of 2009. This past year in late ...
  A: First, what would possess you to take up gymnastics at age 19?? Anyway, regarding your shoulder, ...
Bone Contusion?1/17/2011
  Q: Dr. Gillman, In June, I first injured my foot while at a wedding dance. I rolled my foot and ankle ...
  A: If your bones get repetitively strained, then a "contusion" will show up on MRI. This will often be ...
i have a big problem1/17/2011
  Q: . my name is susana... i had a accident back on 1/29/09 where lifting heavy objects at work i injure ...
  A: Susana, You need to find a chiropractor that can offer treatment different than what you've had so ...
Hamstring (chronic) 22 years of age1/8/2011
  Q: I first pulled my hamstring about a little over 2 1/2 yrs ago. I took a 2wk break from my activity & ...
  A: First off: no more static stretching of your hamstrings! If you're doing this, e.g. sticking your ...
2 Tears in back discs1/5/2011
  Q: G, I recently had an MRI indicating that I have 2 tears in my back disc, due to a weight training ...
  A: Sarai, Disc tears are complicated and nobody has a definite way to get them to heal. I would ...
Hip problems1/5/2011
  Q: In 2008 I was in a bicycling accident and fractured my right hip. I had 3 screws inserted and now ...
  A: Lynn, You need to have this thoroughly examined. This includes hands-on physical examination to ...
herniated disc12/27/2010
  Q: Gillman, My father who is 50 years old and is a computer engineer, has back pain at the C6 – T1 ...
  A: Yvette, These are the discs in the lowest few vertebra of the neck. If the discs are not toughing ...
Other options?12/22/2010
  Q: Dr. Gillman, It started out as shoulder/rotator pain about 7 years ago and went away for a long ...
  A: Cristy, Your shoulder blade pain and arm tingling likely was a sign of cervical spine nerve ...
Toe injury & shoulder impingement12/16/2010
  Q: Gillman, I ' ve had for few years a clicking big toe with mild pain especially when I click it a ...
  A: Sherry, I'm not sure what you have wrong with your toe. Keep in mind that this in an internet ...
SI manipulation in early early pregnancy12/15/2010
  Q: I have been visiting my wonderful chiropractor for SI joint problems and tension management 3 times ...
  A: Chirpractic joint manipulation has traditionally been very safe for pregnant women. There is no ...
Back pain with heaviness in arms and legs12/9/2010
  Q: About six weeks ago I felt a distinct double pop in my back between the shoulder blades. There was ...
  A: Chuck, It sounds like you had an acute strain with joint dysfunction of the joint complex in ...
neck curve12/3/2010
  Q: I went to the chiropractor for the first time on Wednesday 12/01/10. I have been having some ...
  A: Bri, The neck curve thing is a bunch of bunk. Forget about your neck curve measurements. It's not ...
back pain12/3/2010
  Q: I am 33 and an active nurse and mother of two. I have dealt with chronic intermittent back pain for ...
  A: Amy, Isn't it interesting that you are always "off" or out of whack in some way? Someone needs to ...
injury12/1/2010
  Q: I was sledding a week ago and when the sled hit the fence I sort of tipped forward and the top of my ...
  A: Amy, You could be injured mildly or moderately and there is no way to know unless you have a ...
Low Back Pain from Misalaigned Floating Rib?11/22/2010
  Q: I am highly active. I've spent a great deal of time running sprints and lifting weights. A few ...
  A: The floating rib story doesn't seem to fit. Yes, you might have a problem in the area of the ...
cerv neck slip in details11/20/2010
  Q: Do you know exactly how and what/technique massage you should be using to cure a slipped ...
  A: Richie, Do not waste your time getting electrical stimulation to the neck. This procedure ...
correct spinal alignment11/18/2010
  Q: My 9 year old son has occasionally complained of back pain for several years. He is active and ...
  A: Jen, Kids are quite prone to painful spine conditions. From what you describe, your son has back ...
Activator11/15/2010
  Q: Is there any difference in getting adjusted with an Activator vs the hands on method? You really ...
  A: Curtis, There is a big difference between getting Activator treatment verses hands-on joint ...
Neck Problem (Chronic)11/14/2010
  Q: my name is Robert. I just started with 2 personal trainers 3 months ago. I go 3 times a week and ...
  A: Robert, Rule #1: Don't be diagnosed by a personal trainer. Your symptoms are classic for one of ...
plantar fascitis11/11/2010
  Q: I am suffering from plantar fascitis in the left foot. Using one of those diagnostic machines that ...
  A: The histology of plantar fascitis is that of irritated, degenerated, or disrupted tissue along the ...
Knee Discomfort11/9/2010
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I am concerned about my knee and would like to present to you my case. I would very ...
  A: Stan, This is a common symptom pattern. You may have what's called a "Plica" syndrome. Google ...
Neck burning, strained feeling?10/13/2010
  Q: iam a firefighter and an avid weekend warrior. I do alot of crossfit/olympic weighlifting ...
  A: David, 'Sounds to me like repetitive strain to the neck (or accumulative strain). Sometimes the ...
migraines and chiropractors10/9/2010
  Q: I am writing on behalf of my wife. She has been a life long sufferer of migraine headaches and has ...
  A: William, There are some people, a "subset" of the migraine population, that seems to find temporary ...
Racquetball Back Injury and Complications10/1/2010
  Q: Alright, I'm going to try and lay this out as simply as possible. About me: I have always been an ...
  A: Teddy, Amazing! All that care and nobody hit a bullseye. Heel lifts can cause a lot of problems. ...
Groin Strain9/29/2010
  Q: First a bit of background: I'm 22 and have played hockey all my life without any muscle strains. Feb ...
  A: Easy: www.grastontechnique.com and also "active release technique" or ART (or anyone's qualified ...
91 yr old mom w.stenosis9/27/2010
  Q: My 91 year old mother has spinal stenosis with very severe pain. She wakes up crying every morning ...
  A: Sorry to hear about your mom. I've seen cases like these and they do not respond to chiropractic ...
bone spur in spine9/25/2010
  Q: I am in no pain but went to a chiropractor just for curiosity as I have osteoporosis. I was told I ...
  A: Susan, Report this immediately to your state's licensing board!!! This is akin to going to the ...
How many visits are needed9/23/2010
  Q: The chiropractor I just started to see says I have Level III deterioration. Wants me to see him 4 ...
  A: I'm glad you asked... This chiropractor is a way off base. He has no justification for making such ...
dizziness/insomnia/T4/rib injury9/23/2010
  Q: I had an injury to my mid/back (right side, between spine and shoulder blade) back while running ...
  A: Well, your situation is a doozy...probably more complicated to truly address on the internet, but ...
loss of curvature in the neck9/16/2010
  Q: I am a 46 year old athletic female. I suffered from neck pain for several months until I could no ...
  A: Gina, Get the heck out of that chiropractor's office. Full spine x-rays simply because you have a ...
Finding a Goood Chiro9/14/2010
  Q: Gillman, How can one find a good Chiro in their area? I do not know anyone that can make any ...
  A: Curtis, Yes, this is a big problem. It's hard to find really good chiropractors. There's a bunch ...
Mixed Martial arts ribs injury - X-ray negative9/8/2010
  Q: fractures, or cracks , the Dr. just said take a week or so off from MMA classes let it heal up , he ...
  A: Rich, This sounds like a rib sprain. Be patient. It can take a long time to heal up. Try to ...
excessive joint popping w/ no pain9/5/2010
  Q: Lately I am experiencing excessive noise in my neck, spine, shoulders during a golf swing. There is ...
  A: Michael, If there is no pain, then - from a purely medical point of view - there is no problem. ...
"Buffalo hump"8/29/2010
  Q: I believe I have developed what's called a "buffalo hump" where my neck meets my upper spine. I ...
  A: Nikki, Your hump, also called a Dowager's hump, is genetic. You inherited this. There is no known ...
foot drop8/24/2010
  Q: My husband had total hip replacement the first of April 2010 and developed foot drop afterwards. He ...
  A: I would suggest that he have an EMG. Chiropractic can help in similar way that PT helps, by ...
bulging disc8/18/2010
  Q: i have had back pain for 15+ years now.. finally my doctor retired, and my new doctor sent me for ...
  A: X-rays AND a CT scan? The current guidelines recommend against x-rays since they do not tell you ...
Patch of numbness on leg, slight lower back pain8/10/2010
  Q: So pleased to have found this great site. For two weeks I have had a 4x7 patch of superficial ...
  A: Bethany, Your chiropractor should be able to assess you to rule out Meralgia Peresthetica (via a ...
head and neck pain8/8/2010
  Q: I vomited the other night severely. That night I developed a severe headache and still have it ...
  A: K, You likely strained (or sprained) the top of your neck and you are experiencing cervicogenic ...
Year's treatment for straightened neck and curvature of spine8/7/2010
  Q: X-rays show that my back is curved to the side and my neck is straight and protrudes forwards. My ...
  A: Kerry, There is no sufficient evidence that treatment will prove itself corrective. There is no ...
Frequency of Chiropractic visits8/6/2010
  Q: I have some degenerating discs, one in my lower back, one in my neck, which both give me trouble ...
  A: The only way to know if you are benefiting from the manipulative treatment is to discontinue ...
rotated rib8/5/2010
  Q: About 6 yrs. ago I was told by a PT that I may have rotated a couple of ribs and I will have to deal ...
  A: Pat, First, not all providers have all the answers. Second, a PT is not a doctor and some PT's ...
Sore Left Shoulder8/3/2010
  Q: I had written you about two years ago and found you extremely helpful in identifying a herniated ...
  A: Ian, How old are you? Late 30's maybe? [just guessing] When shoulder pain doesn't go away, when ...
spondylolisthesis7/22/2010
  Q: I am in need of your expertise! I have had a spondylolisthesis at L5-S1 since I was about 12 (from ...
  A: What you are experiencing is not uncommon. If you were a gymnast, odds are you are quite flexible. ...
We need help.7/20/2010
  Q: My husband has been going to a chiropractor for over a year. at first it was for low back pain, ...
  A: I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. In my professional opinion, he should have ended his ...
hip popping7/17/2010
  Q: Years ago, I fell on my right hip when I lost my balance while kicking a ball. Landed sideways on my ...
  A: Donna, You most likely strained the hip and pelvic joint system with that fall, and caused it to ...
Lower Back Pain7/17/2010
  Q: I am 15 years old, very active soccer player, playing 5 times a week usually. For the past 3 weeks I ...
  A: Amy, Unless you completely fractured the bone, x-ray is a waste of time! You must do an MRI of ...
weird pain in the back7/15/2010
  Q: i am a 24 year old professional. i often experience a weird pain in my back just below the nape of ...
  A: Tripti, Massage is not enough to change the mechanics of the joints of your spine. Also, x-ray is ...
thoracic rigidity in extension7/13/2010
  Q: I am a 25-year-old female and I have a slight sway back posture that I am trying to correct. It has ...
  A: First, if your "hyperkyphosis" or exagerated thoracic curve might be congenital. In other words, it ...
wrist pain7/8/2010
  Q: About my wrist which I e-mailed you about earlier,the problem is in my left wrist and when I rotate ...
  A: Nigel, If I understand your description correctly (I'm still not sure I completely understand ...
Supraspinatus tendinopathy6/13/2010
  Q: A couple of days ago I received results of an MRI which diagnosed spuraspinatus tendinopathy of my ...
  A: Dee, If you truly do not have a heart condition - as in you had a treadmill stress test - then it ...
S I nerve pain6/5/2010
  Q: I have moderately severe arthritis in my L-S spine, and have had a fusion on L3-4. I currently have ...
  A: 'Sorry that you're having such difficulty. What you have is quite common. It sounds like your pain ...
Can't find cause6/1/2010
  Q: I am 52 and have been very active all my life with ballet and working out at at the gym 5 days a ...
  A: Kim, I am not completely clear about your info. You had the hysterectomy 3 years ago and have not ...
Self-Help SI Joint5/24/2010
  Q: Due to my current financial situation, I qualified for the Outreach Clinic that Palmer school of ...
  A: Michelle, SEVEN MONTHS in Palmer's Clinic with no relief?! Shame on them! First, understand that ...
Teen excessive joint popping5/24/2010
  Q: I have loud excessive cracking and popping in my knees, ankles, hips and other parts of my body. And ...
  A: This is all quite normal. It's just joint noise and it is common in young folks. Some have it ...
Neck Pain5/17/2010
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I have never been to a chiropractor so I am somewhat leary and want to do my research. ...
  A: Andy, The research is now conclusive that your chances of having a stroke are the same whether you ...
Chest Cartlidge Tear5/14/2010
  Q: Good Morning, First of all thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Well, about a week ...
  A: James, These are very difficult conditions to deal with. I have not seen or read anything about ...
neck and trap5/13/2010
  Q: i have a constant numbness and tingling in my right trap or at the bottom of the neck. the right ...
  A: Nicolas, I'm not sure what your physical therapy consisted of. You need to try a short course of ...
Upper back ache5/10/2010
  Q: I am 21 years old and have had upper back ache for about 4-5 years. It is a ache which is relieved ...
  A: Matt, Find someone that does Graston Technique and give that a try. Go to ...
Crooked Spine4/26/2010
  Q: I recently had a sprained ankle for about a month, and during that time, I primarily walked crooked ...
  A: Jesus, I could use a bit more information. Is your "middle of body from neck to waist" in pain? ...
Othotics4/25/2010
  Q: I need an unbiased opinion even though you are a chiropractor. I am seeing a chiropractor %26 ...
  A: John, I am a Diplomate in Chiropractic Sports Medicine and I do have notable experience in ...
neck/upper arm pain, numb thumb4/19/2010
  Q: About two weeks ago I got what I thought was a crick in my neck all the sudden. Some pain in my ...
  A: Likely you have a cervical spine disc lesion such as a disc bulge or protrusion. Depending on your ...
back pain4/18/2010
  Q: On Friday morning I woke up with severe pain in my left side of the back. The pain is associated ...
  A: Bill, It's now Sunday. See if you can get in to your chiropractor first thing Monday am. Drugs ...
muscle pain4/14/2010
  Q: Gillman I have been experiencing pain in my right pectoral muscle, but only when I flex it. There ...
  A: If you are relatively young and healthy, with no cardiovascular disease - or if you go to a gym and ...
dizziness after treatment4/10/2010
  Q: I was in a car accident recently. When my chiropractor treated me, I sometimes get an immediate ...
  A: Dawn, This is a common occurance. I don't know what "treatment" consists of. If you get an ...
should I continue treatment with this chiropractor?4/7/2010
  Q: I was in a minor auto accident mid-January, from which minor neck pain started. I was advised by my ...
  A: Cheryl, I cannot completely answer this without one piece of information: Is it the PT or the ...
neck pain4/1/2010
  Q: i have used a chiropractor for many years and i LOVE THAT MAN! but i now live 2 hours away from his ...
  A: Lana, Yes, your neck joints and surrounding muscles will refer pain into the ear and into the head. ...
Rib Head3/26/2010
  Q: I twisted really hard to get a ball crosscourt and behind me in a game of tennis. I had a pain in ...
  A: Lilly, If you significantly sprained the rib joint, there is tissue damage. It takes time for this ...
Neck Injury3/23/2010
  Q: About a year back, I was stretching my neck forward and to the right and caused some sort of damage. ...
  A: Avi, Go see Dr. Michael Minardo in NYC for consultation. If you are going to get neck joint ...
snapping sound3/22/2010
  Q: I wonder if i can pick your brains regarding my daughter Kelly she is 23 years old and weighs ...
  A: Ms. Delderfield, I would recommend MRI of the spine region. If she has not had work by a ...
advanced disk degeneration3/22/2010
  Q: x-ray and mri shows advanced disk degeneration and moderate left hip arthritis. manifestaion is ...
  A: Kirk, Before you pay $5000 cash (up front) with the practitioner abandoning all clinical ...
severe heel and foot pain3/20/2010
  Q: sir, i have severe heel pain and foot pain when walk after rest and morning when get up.i have pain ...
  A: Susmitha, You have symptoms consistent with plantar fasciitis. There is a lot of information on ...
severe foot pain in the ball of my right foot3/18/2010
  Q: I experience approx every two months this severe foot pain in the ball of my right foot. Sometimes ...
  A: Bobby, You could have anything from a bunion to a plantars wart to plantar fascitis to ...
Frequency of Adjustments3/17/2010
  Q: I have had chiropractic adjustments over the years from the same chiropractor in Boston mainly on an ...
  A: I think you should get his treatment plan in writing as well as a copy of your initial intake form ...
Sports Related Rib Injury3/17/2010
  Q: My girlfriend plays legitimate roller derby, an unscripted full-contact sport in which people are ...
  A: I understand that Roller Derby is making a come back! Your girlfriend likely does have a cracked ...
thigh pain3/16/2010
  Q: I am a healthy 33 year old female and going on almost 2 months now I have had this dull achy, ...
  A: It is likely referred pain. The most likely candidates are 1) a disc protrusion in the middle of ...
SI Joint Dysfucntion & Chiropractic Care3/16/2010
  Q: I have been dealing with constant low back pain for a little more than a year now. After being sick ...
  A: Jessica, Not all disc issues get picked up on MRI, and not all radiologists describe the findings ...
wrist issues3/14/2010
  Q: I hurt my wrist when I wrestling, and at first it was a small pain i could handle. Now that my ...
  A: Nick, Where, exactly, do you feel the pain? Is there any swelling? Pain when in a push up ...
Back pain3/9/2010
  Q: My 15 year old daughter has mid back pain and feels spasms now and then. She is 5'1"and weighs close ...
  A: Marielle, You need to have your daughter checked for what's called "spondylolysis" or "acute pars ...
shoulder and chest pain3/8/2010
  Q: I would appreciate any feedback you can give me,and thank you for this service. I have pain in my ...
  A: Sue, Pain that wakes you at night can be a sign of bone metastatic cancer. If your condition has ...
Si hip dysfunction and spina bifida occulta3/6/2010
  Q: My 9 year old daughter complained of tailbone,heel and outside right ankle pain after a dance ...
  A: Kristin, I know this is a frustrating situation for you and your daughter. Given the information ...
Unajustable ribs3/5/2010
  Q: From time to time over the last 8 years I have popped a rib, usually on the right side of my back. ...
  A: Ed, First: find a chiropractor on www.grastontechnique.com Get all the soft tissue in that rib ...
Lower back and butt pain when standing striaght and bending3/5/2010
  Q: I am having this lower back and butt pain when stand up straight and bend down. It happened after I ...
  A: Kotomi, From the information you provided me, it sounds like you simply have a mechanical lesion in ...
L5 S1 L4 L53/4/2010
  Q: Greetings Background, I am a 51 year old male, presently my condition is as such. Per a MRI, my L5 ...
  A: Jerry, Sorry to hear you're in such shape. Your degenerative spine is genetic, inherited. You can ...
C7-T1 severe pain3/3/2010
  Q: I was involved in a low speed head on collision. My dr said that, on top of muscle sprains all over, ...
  A: DP, Yeah. It's safe. Especially if you have your reflexes in tact. If your doctor found loss of ...
shoulder problems2/28/2010
  Q: Having shoulder pain tried physio, coritsone injection did not work. MRI showed extensive ...
  A: You had the tendinopathy for a long time. It doesn't happen overnight. But changes in an ergonomic ...
neck popping2/26/2010
  Q: Here is a clarification - more details on my original question. I saw the chiropractor 2x per week ...
  A: Carol, Your situation really is unusual. I would want to know if you have any segment instability ...
Chiropractic and TMJ2/25/2010
  Q: I have clenched my teeth for years, and I've worn a nightguard since 1993 to help. Around 2005, I ...
  A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. That was courageous of you to help that guy while risking ...
back injury . please help!2/22/2010
  Q: I injured my back in Nov. I am a nurse and a pt grabbed onto my shoulders and I twisted in a ...
  A: Amanda, Your pain picture seems odd, with a global region of pain (shoulder blade, oblique ...
Knee and back pain2/9/2010
  Q: Gillman, I have had seven visits with a chiropractor to treat my knee, inner thigh, and lower back ...
  A: Salina, As for "adjustments," I don't know exactly what you are receiving. Standard "adjustment" ...
Bicep Tear2/6/2010
  Q: I am 46 years old and a few years ago I fell backwards onto my right arm, fully extended. I never ...
  A: Joe, If in fact you really do have a complete biceps tear, there is nothing to do for it after a ...
Torqued Pelvis1/30/2010
  Q: I am 29 years old and for as long as I can remember have had problems with lower back pain. When I ...
  A: Sue, You can try chiropractic pelvic manipulations as it likely will be different than what the PT ...
lower back1/29/2010
  Q: I am an active 52 year old woman, have seen a chiropractor for at least 20 years now, and go in ...
  A: Lucy, Odds are you need soft tissue work across your lower back, glut's and hips. If you are ...
Alignment of pelvis and labral tear in hip.1/28/2010
  Q: I am three weeks post acetabular labral repair. Prior to surgery my pelvis was tilted resulting in ...
  A: If you took 100 people and x-rayed their spines, you'd find disc and joint degeneration, scoliosis ...
herniated disc1/24/2010
  Q: I have a diagnosis "herniated disc" as of 3 dec.09 I was in lot of pain, bed ridden, in a hospital ...
  A: Mima, There is no such thing as putting a disc back in place by manual manipulation. Sorry. With ...
spine twisted1/23/2010
  Q: Two days ago i had went to a chiropractor regarding some discomfort in my back because of a chair ...
  A: Jeremy, Your situation is not uncommon. Some folks have spines that are very stiff, and for a ...
rotator cuff1/22/2010
  Q: Is it possible for a chiropractor to fix?
  A: Sharon, "Rotator Cuff" what?? Tear? Degeneration? Irritation? Which Cuff tendon, the ...
The T Bar...1/21/2010
  Q: I was wondering if a chiropractor normally pushes a t-bar into someones back (between my spine and ...
  A: Ozzie, No. It is not normal. The DC should have described what he was going to do, why he was ...
Knee injury1/19/2010
  Q: Some background information first: I'm 29 years old and have had an injury occur on my right knee ...
  A: Dan, There is no law that states you must have surgery... If you are able to do rehab' exercises, ...
chiropractor or orthopaedic?1/11/2010
  Q: I am a 25/F, former college athlete, and have never had back problems. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed ...
  A: Erin, This is exactly what chiropractors address. Research shows that new and acute back pain ...
Spine Curvature1/10/2010
  Q: I have a negative three degree curve in my C-Spine. It goes forward right at C5. IT has caused me to ...
  A: Neil, Please search previous answers of mine regarding cervical curves. Your course of care is not ...
neck and spine12/31/2009
  Q: These are the impressions of my mri, please advise on what I should do to fix the problems: Any ...
  A: Richie, Don't be concerned about the straigtening of the cervical curve. If you have pain that ...
terrible neck and back pain12/27/2009
  Q: I've had the worst neck and upper shoulder/back pain for the past 2 days. I've always cracked my ...
  A: Parisa, Stop self cracking! Your desire to do this means that there is something wrong. People ...
Several herniated dics12/23/2009
  Q: I was involved in a car accident in June 2009. I was stopped at a red light and someone on there ...
  A: Maria, I'm sorry to hear your having such difficulties. You are not alone. My first question for ...
car accident12/22/2009
  Q: I WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT AND I DIDN'T FEEL PAIN UNTIL AFTER EVERYTHING WAS OVER WITH AND I WENT ...
  A: Karen, If you just had the car crash, like within the last two days, then simply give it another ...
Ribhead subluxation12/22/2009
  Q: I have had this condition for 3 years now. I have been told by chiropractors that this is what I ...
  A: Nathan, Sitting at a desk all day long is torture to your spine. You must regularly and frequently ...
NUCCA treatment12/20/2009
  Q: I have had migraine for over 30 years and have yet to find a successful treatment. I'm 63years old ...
  A: Betty, I would agree that Botox is a temporary solution, but it also could provide insight as to ...
BACK INJURY12/17/2009
  Q: I have a question regarding the pain, popping and cracking of my back, shoulders, sternum, arms, ...
  A: Jeffrey, The painless joint popping and cracking is a normal phenominon, and there is little known ...
muscle and nerve loss12/16/2009
  Q: I'm 66 years old.Since 2 years I'm experiencing biceps muscle loss.Consquently I'm losing function ...
  A: K S, You need to see a neurologist. This may be from a severe problem in your neck that is ...
Significance of MRI findings12/14/2009
  Q: I am a very active (military) 27 year old male. I have sustained a left hip injury that initially ...
  A: Jamie, Odds are the L5 disc lesion is driving your symptoms and causing the "protective tensioning" ...
SI joint12/3/2009
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I had a bad chiropractic adjustment on August 27th of my left SI joint. I went to ...
  A: Michael J. Hubka, DC 2623 E. Foothill Blvd. #105 Pasadena, CA 91107 626-796-26391 California is a ...
Over Adjusting?12/3/2009
  Q: I've suffered with migraines for 10 years and just started getting chiropractic adjustments 4 months ...
  A: 3x/week for two months is a but much, but if the joint manipulation was not too forcefull, there is ...
Back pain11/27/2009
  Q: I have a son who just turned 18, playing football 5 days ago, was tackled and hurt his back. Same ...
  A: Arlene, Blacked out from what? Yes! Please take him to a doctor! At the least he needs a ...
hip pain and plantar fasciitis11/22/2009
  Q: A year ago I developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot as well as pain in my right hip. I am a ...
  A: Dorothy, Ask your sports doctor: "Isn't everybody's hips a little off?" If the doctor believe he ...
compression fracture11/21/2009
  Q: I have an identified compression fracture in my upper back, fortunately it is non weight bearing. ...
  A: June, There is nothing that the chiropractor or any doctor can do to change the compression ...
Vertebral Subluxation11/18/2009
  Q: I have a pinched nerve resulting in numbness in my left hand (pinky, ring finger and top/outside ...
  A: Steve: run as quickly as you can out of this office!! I would also suggest that you report this ...
Another question11/14/2009
  Q: I really appreciate all of your advice and asked my chiropractor to check for soft tissue damage and ...
  A: Nicole: Is your professor trained in Graston Technique? If not, then his opinion doesn't count. ...
New Chiropractor11/11/2009
  Q: Dr. Gillman, Is it possible to have tenderness in the joints, muscles, bones after a session? My ...
  A: Post treatment soreness from joint manipulation is very common and almost always benign and ...
Uneven leg length11/11/2009
  Q: I am 32 years old and for the past 2 years I have been suffering severe backaches have also noticed ...
  A: It is hard to know what is going on with you based on the small amount of information you provided. ...
fracture?11/10/2009
  Q: Four days ago I banged my forehead while reaching into my van. When I hit my head, I felt my neck ...
  A: Chel, You have classic symptoms of neck sprain/strain and mild concussion, very similar to ...
calf tingling after an adjustment11/9/2009
  Q: I recently got an SI joint adjustment (about 3 weeks ago). Following the adjustment, I have light ...
  A: Pam, It is possible that there is SI joint irritation and that you are experiencing "chemical" ...
Runner with Butt Pain11/8/2009
  Q: I am 32 and have been running for several years. Jogging became running. I did a marathon once and ...
  A: Samantha, I see this quite often. For many it is treatable and resolvable. Your story is quite ...
rib pain11/6/2009
  Q: I've had a nagging pain to the lower left side of my rib cage. The cause was that one night I was ...
  A: Ben, You may have a joint dysfunction where the rib meets the spine and/or adhesion formation deep ...
Soft grinding noise in upper middle back?11/5/2009
  Q: I am 24 years old, healthy as far as I know, and exercise somewhat regularly (I run and walk a lot ...
  A: Liz, This is common when joints and their surrounding soft tissues are strained. It sounds to me ...
Another question11/3/2009
  Q: I wrote you a few weeks ago regarding a bad adjustment to my SI joint. I decided to go to a new ...
  A: Nicole, It's not about "alignment." It's about soft tissue lesions, e.g. scar tissue, adhesions, ...
Treatment for damage to cranial nerves10/27/2009
  Q: Hey Dr. Gillman, I'm in my first year of Chiropractic school and we are currently learning about ...
  A: Jared, We really do not treat damaged cranial nerves, and I hope your teachers aren't touting that ...
Spondylolisthesis and laser treatment options10/22/2009
  Q: My mother has been diagnosed with grade 3 spondylosis in the cervical vertabrae and grade 2 ...
  A: Sorry that your mom has such troubles. If the chiropractic care has not proven effective in ...
Left Leg and foot numb10/21/2009
  Q: Leatherman from a person named Alexandra, and I have the same symptoms. A few weeks ago while I was ...
  A: Karen, I can give you a laundry list of conditions that cause numbness, everything from lumbar disc ...
si joint10/20/2009
  Q: I have an issue that has been ongoing for several years now and I have been through all types of ...
  A: Michael, You've had a lot of treatment. When you say "chiropractic," what did that consist of? ...
Facet Joint Arthritis10/20/2009
  Q: I have mild arthritis in my facet joints most prominent in L4-L5. Pain started in August of this ...
  A: Jenny, "Improved slightly after six weeks" is not really all that great when it's just lower back ...
SI Joint Manipulation10/4/2009
  Q: I am a thirty year old active woman. I would consider myself a healthy individual; one who eats ...
  A: Nicole, Sorry you're having such troubles. My suspicion is that you have an irritated disc. ...
bone spurs/chronic pain10/3/2009
  Q: I've suffered with neck/upper back pain for nine years. Since I've not been diagnosed I've also not ...
  A: Karen, Your symptoms are not uncommon, and those with nerve-related referred pain into the upper ...
Is chiropractic help or surgery better for treating cervical bone spurs?10/2/2009
  Q: I would like to ask about cervical bone spurs and would appreciate your sound advice. Presumably a ...
  A: Joel, People with bulging discs and bone spurs (or both) can find relief in some cases with ...
L2 Compression Fracture9/29/2009
  Q: My 16 yo son has moderate anterior wedging at L2. MRI and x-ray show a compression fracture without ...
  A: At 10 weeks the bone is healed. The bone will not change shape, but the fracture line may remodel a ...
NECK PAIN!!!9/25/2009
  Q: I am a paramedic and work for an ambulance company so I do a lot of lifting. I went to sleep the ...
  A: Stephen, Neck pain with not radicular pain into the scap' or arm/hand is a good sign. However, ...
xyphoid process injury9/24/2009
  Q: my 12 year old son was diagnosed with a broken or dislocated xyphoid process injury by our family ...
  A: Jan, There are no exercises for the xiphoid short of taking deep breaths. Likely the calcium is a ...
si joint?9/21/2009
  Q: 2 weeks ago I went to a chiropractor for extreme neck muscle tightness and intermittent ache on ...
  A: Rebecca, Ask your chiropractor to do a neurologic exam and make sure you have normal skin ...
Meralgia Paresthetica issues.9/21/2009
  Q: I am postop 4 lumbar laminectomies - L4 -L5 and L5-S1. I also have RSD of my left foot which had ...
  A: Betty, The only real shot at this conservatively is with soft tissue therapy around the inguinal ...
losso f cervical lordosis9/18/2009
  Q: i am 32 years old and mother of 2 children. i have strong leg pain, neck shoulder hand pain and ...
  A: Nishi, Loss of cervical lordosis is common and not considered a disease. The spondylitic changes ...
Chiropractic Care9/17/2009
  Q: My husband suffers from low back pain due to a disc bulge at L5-S1 which abuts the left S1 nerve ...
  A: Yes, a chiropractor can help. I would suggest one that uses a flexion/distraction table. If you ...
I suffered a disc herniation9/15/2009
  Q: Gillman my name is Paul. 7 years ago I suffered I chronic lumbar disc herniation when I was 22 years ...
  A: The "DOK" sound likely is coming from a tendon that is sliding over a bone in the inner hip. It ...
neck adjustment9/12/2009
  Q: I had phoned my chiropractor asking him if he could do anything about my vertigo. He said yes and I ...
  A: Laura, I have no idea what your chiropractor did. From the small description, it sounds like he ...
Frequency of adjustments9/11/2009
  Q: Can you please let me know a source or published reference regarding regarding frequency of ...
  A: Eileen, Dump your new chiropractor! Or, you should bet money that he cannot find legitimate proof ...
Elbow pain during weightlifting9/11/2009
  Q: I'm a 25 year old male and have done weight training moderately since high school. Most recently, my ...
  A: Luke, At 25, you likely don't have an arthritic elbow, so we're dealing with an elbow joint system ...
scoliosis9/10/2009
  Q: My question has two parts. First, a 16-year old male with a 40 degree curve in the lower back, ...
  A: Sue, First, there is no clear evidence as to what causes scoliosis in a healthy young person, ...
change in retrolisthesis9/10/2009
  Q: I have a retro L5 on S1 . Hypothetically can use of a drop table worsen ( cause to shift)this ...
  A: JP, There is no evidence that the retrolisthesis will worsen with any form of manual therapy. Yes, ...
pain and popping in the hip9/9/2009
  Q: I have always had the ability to pop my hips, mostly just the right one, but it is always a loud pop ...
  A: Erin, This is a common problem that is most prevalent in young females. Google: snapping hip ...
Facial Twitch... :(9/8/2009
  Q: I am a 23 year old female, non-smoker, occasional drinker, good diet, ideal weight for my height, no ...
  A: I've never heard of chiropractors alleviating facial twitching, but it sure can't hurt to try. If ...
xiphoid process injury and gerd9/8/2009
  Q: Gillman, I'm writing regarding a recent visit to the chiropractor. My chiropractor tried to adjust ...
  A: Blaine, Sometimes accidents happen in manual medicine... If you said you had sharp pains then I'd ...
postural disorders8/21/2009
  Q: Greetings! I have a topic in thesis regarding posture defects. I just want to make myself clear ...
  A: Shaine, Scoliosis is a term used to describe the side-to-side and rotational distortion the spine ...
cervical vertibrae curvature8/19/2009
  Q: Gillman, Can trauma to an adult person's neck cause a reversal of the cervical vertebrae from ...
  A: Rudolph, The only way to know is to have had an x-ray of your neck prior to the fall. Otherwise, ...
3 times a week for 3 months???8/15/2009
  Q: I have a slight forward curvature of the neck and recently began experiencing some loss of use in my ...
  A: Sheila, 3x/week for three months is a bit much for any kind of manual therapy. After your first ...
hurt while stretching, help!8/5/2009
  Q: I was stretching and all of a sudden I have this pain on my left side, my shoulderblade, collarbone ...
  A: Sandra, First, you obviously strained something in your neck. Ice/heat/rest/medicines and give it ...
neck pain etc.8/4/2009
  Q: ive had ongoing neck pain for about year or even longer i havent really been keeping track. It all ...
  A: You didn't sign up for the several-thousand-dollar healthy lifestyle plan? But wouldn't you get the ...
chiropractors8/1/2009
  Q: Why are you so against Gonstead chiropractic. i have been a patient for over ten years and have had ...
  A: James, It likely had nothing to do with Gonstead technique. How many Gonstead practitioners have ...
Acromioclavicular joint injury7/28/2009
  Q: G: I have been lifting weights for more than 3 years. Recently I was diagnosed with an ...
  A: Robert, There is a chance you have been straining the AC joint for a while and the dips were the ...
11 back pain, 6 months now7/27/2009
  Q: My daughter has been complaining about back pain for about six months now. I initially took her to a ...
  A: First, I am not clear about what the chiropractor conveyed to you. If you can get an actual ...
Cartilage damage7/24/2009
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I recently started doing some Zumba classes which is a lot of upper body rotating ...
  A: Lauren, Either the rib was fractured or the junction where the bony portion of the rib meets the ...
Neck Scoliosis7/24/2009
  Q: What exercises can I do to reduce the scoliosis curve in my neck? I have a curve in my neck. My ...
  A: Linda, Doubtful that there is any exercise that can reduce the scoliosis in your neck. There are ...
Herniated Disc/Pinched Nerve7/23/2009
  Q: I have been suffering from pain in my right butt cheek and excruciating pain down the side of my ...
  A: Cindy, Shame on your family doctor! That was an ignorant statement. In fact, there is a good ...
Popped rib head problem7/21/2009
  Q: I've been to a chiropractor and he has popped my rib head back into place, but the rib head keeps ...
  A: I'm going to assume you are a teen, maybe 16 or so. Keep in mind that your level of competition has ...
Multiple Lumps (very painful)7/18/2009
  Q: On any given day, there are at least 10 lumps/knots in my lower back, along my spine and the top of ...
  A: Leslie, Fatty tumors or lipomas are fleshy, thick, football-shaped lumps that sit under the skin. ...
Rotated Pelvis7/18/2009
  Q: I had a 2nd microdiscectomy (L4/L5) on May 11, 2009. The surgeries are 7 years apart. Approximately ...
  A: David, While I don't have all your health information and am lacking some data, it sounds to me ...
Not filing insurance claims7/16/2009
  Q: So I went to the Chiropractor today to get my back adjusted cause it was hurting. I told him I had ...
  A: Lisa, Sadly, your chiropractor is correct in that some plans have it written in their contract that ...
Right costal cartilage7/12/2009
  Q: so I couldn’t almost breathe. One morning when I woke up I knew I had pain so refrained from even ...
  A: Babar, The rib cartilage asymmetry likely has nothing to do with your pain. The fact that a hot ...
Neck, shoulder problem7/10/2009
  Q: Gillman, Im a 20 year old extremely fit and otherwise healthy male. I recently began having ...
  A: Micheal, The region that you feel symptoms can also come from irriation of deep cervical spine ...
MRI7/9/2009
  Q: First of all let me thank you for reading my question. I was in a car accident in NOV08(rear ended) ...
  A: What you have is not uncommon following whiplash injuries, regardless of disc or MRI findings. It ...
chest pain7/9/2009
  Q: it began about 7 months ago I first got it in the middle of my chest and then I pulled something in ...
  A: Kevin, You could have sprain/strained a rib joint and it has not healed properly. You must find a ...
Rib head is out7/8/2009
  Q: I am a paramedic and while lifting a heavy patient (290 lbs) from a bed to a floor, I twisted my ...
  A: Sophia, It is possible that you have a disc herniation. Doc's and PT's are often fooled into ...
Spine-Issue?7/6/2009
  Q: Gillman, I wanted to seek your opinion on something. I'm 25, in shape, active, all that good stuff. ...
  A: It sounds like your first chiropractor was correct in that you may have done something to the disc. ...
Neck noise7/2/2009
  Q: I have Arnold Chiari malformaation with 5mm. Also, upon a recent neck xray said: No comparison. All ...
  A: Linda, Neck joints will make noise if they are irritated, degenerated, or in any state of ...
Lumbar Spondylosis6/30/2009
  Q: Good Afternoon and thank you for taking the time to answer my question(s). My fiance was told by his ...
  A: Lumbar spondylosis (Spondyl = spine; 'Osis = a bad condition of') is used to mean that there is some ...
back pain6/30/2009
  Q: i am 14 and i have had terrible back pain for about 6 to 9 months. I have not been to see the doctor ...
  A: This is serious! Nobody, especially not a 14 year old, should have to suffer with daily back pain. ...
numb feet6/27/2009
  Q: My mom (88)has had a numbness/tingly feeling on the bottom of her right foot for over a year. Now, ...
  A: Cindy, Yes, it could be from her spine. If she has arthritic bones, they will compromise the ...
Payment up front?!?6/25/2009
  Q: I saw a local chiropractor for treatment of neck and back pain. After x-rays and several treatments, ...
  A: Annette, This is fraudulent behavior! There is no logical clinical basis for that scheme. Please ...
Deciding on a treatment program6/24/2009
  Q: Gillman, I am a health conscious, athletic, middle aged mom trying to decide whether or not I should ...
  A: Your concerns are quite justified. I've responded in several previous posts on this topic. It is ...
Reversed Cervical Curve & Scoliosis6/22/2009
  Q: First for a bit of back ground info: I am a 21 year old Female with a fairly gentle life - played ...
  A: Deborah, First: stop getting xrays from the (uniformed) doctors! The scoliosis and neck curve is ...
upper shoulder above blade pain6/22/2009
  Q: My friend and I have been walking 4 - 5 days per week for 40 - 45 minutes. I was wearing tennis ...
  A: Lauren, Your symptoms are from postural strain to the upper back or shoulder "girdle" region. ...
Hiatel Hernia6/12/2009
  Q: I was told that it was possible for a chiropractor to help bring down my hiatel hernia as it is ...
  A: Octavia, There is a technique where the doctor presses firmly under the front of the left ribs in ...
Herniated discs in neck, lightheadedness6/11/2009
  Q: I have 2 cervical herniated discs at c4-c5 and c5-c6 with cord compression. I have been ...
  A: Yes, in fact you can also have a Cranial Nerve-4 palsy (go ahead and google this one) that will ...
SLIPPED RIB IN BACK AND TRAPPED NERVE6/11/2009
  Q: .. at first i did not know what to do and hoped it would go away but it got so bad i lost the power ...
  A: It is very unlikely that your problem is coming from the rib. You may think it's the rib because ...
Musce Energy Technique, insability etc6/10/2009
  Q: I have been going to a DC for 11 months, 4x per week except for Feb 09 when I went 7x per week. Yes, ...
  A: Keira, Holy Cow! DC-1 should be reported to the board! DC-2 sounds more rational. Instability is ...
hip pain in 10 year old6/9/2009
  Q: My 10 year old daughter trains 30 hours a week doing Elite Gymnastics ,she ran to jump on ...
  A: Sue, My only real concern is that she is properly examined and diagnosed. It must be clearly ...
My Shoulder is messed up help me please!6/8/2009
  Q: Age: 16 Height: about 6:4 Weight: about 231 I am a very hard worker, will carry just about ...
  A: Fredrick, You may very well have a problem with your AC joint or one of the rotator cuff muscles, ...
lower back,thigh pain6/3/2009
  Q: about a month ago my lower back started to really ache.I tend to think I did something while using ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. The answer is simple: go to a doctor that ...
left hip tear and Low Back pain6/2/2009
  Q: "Hello, on March 24, 2009 I was in labor and having my daughter 6 weeks early, I had an epidural ...
  A: Melissa, 'So sorry you went through such a terrible ordeal. It sounds like your muscle tore in the ...
elbow pain/triceps5/28/2009
  Q: I really want to know when I can get back to sport activate? I injured the right arm triceps more ...
  A: Wai, You need to get appropriate treatment! Find a chiropractor via www.grastontechnique.com ...
Lower right Biceps tear5/26/2009
  Q: Greetings, I am a active 37 year old married male and father of four that has weight trained for ...
  A: Gary, Sounds like you popped the tendon completely and the muscle has retracted to some degree. ...
Back Pain5/25/2009
  Q: I just wanted to respond and thank-you for your help with an earlier correspondence; I will attach ...
  A: Ian, So much for those "experts" that couldn't diagnose something that is text-book obvious... ...
my atlas will not stay in5/23/2009
  Q: I feel like I am running out of options. About 4 years ago I was drinking and for some stupid reason ...
  A: Austin, First, consider that the problem may not be your atlas being in place or out of place. ...
plantar faciitis5/23/2009
  Q: is there any chiropractic treatments that help alleviate the pain associated with plantar faciitis?
  A: Yes! www.grastontechnique.com Though it is not just chiropractors doing it - it is a treatment ...
Groin /back /buttock pain5/22/2009
  Q: for the past 7 weeks I have had severe back pain right groin pain, and pain on my buttock. I had 8 ...
  A: You probably have an irritated or protruded lumbar disc, likely the 3rd or 4th. I don't know what ...
ct scan reading5/21/2009
  Q: i was recently in a bad car wreck and had 3 fractured ribs, 1 collapsed lung, 1 fractured clavical ...
  A: Chris, This most likely is an artifact on the CT. The second option is that you cracked it a long ...
shoulder injury5/18/2009
  Q: Between December 6-10th I was starting a snowblower standing in front of it, pulled the starter rope ...
  A: Benjamin, Get an MRI! Otherwise everything is guesswork. If your chiropractor has any reason to ...
Lower back pain after bending backwards5/14/2009
  Q: I am not sure where to go or even if this is an issue. For a couple weeks I have found that even ...
  A: John, Bending backwards takes pressure off of lumbar discs. Bending forwards puts pressure on the ...
cervical herniation C6, 75/14/2009
  Q: I've written you before but am putting my history below anyway. Thank you. Hello. I am 44 a year ...
  A: Joni, Your MRI should have mentioned if you have stenosis or not. If there was no mention or it ...
lumbar spinal fusion or try chiropractor5/13/2009
  Q: Help! I'm scheduled for lumbar spinal fusion in a week. After talking to a Chiropractor friend i'm ...
  A: Not knowing anything at all about your back condition, all I can say is that if you have not tried a ...
anterior disc herniation5/11/2009
  Q: I have found very little literature regarding an anterior disc herniation. What little I can find ...
  A: Anelie, It is generally believed that anterior disc herniation is not a problem since there is no ...
Neck Injury5/7/2009
  Q: I saw a top American chiropractor 2 years ago. I had never been to a chiropractor before. He came to ...
  A: Caroline, You should never have experienced this. If you had a neck problem prior to the ...
Two different chiropractors with different techniques.5/6/2009
  Q: I am used to the old chiropractor at work, but there is a new one today. The old chiropractor would ...
  A: I can understand your bewilderment at DC-2 compared to DC-1. Most DC's do standard high-velocity ...
chiropractic overmanipulation5/1/2009
  Q: I am a 72 yr old very active women in good physical condition and weight but do have degeneration in ...
  A: Ann, If you've already had several adjustments and nothing is changing in your neck, then the ...
Scoliosis and The Clear Institute4/20/2009
  Q: We are considering the Clear Institute for our daughter (14) with a 32T AIS. The Clear Institute ...
  A: John, My opinion: When Dr. Woggon can publish a valid piece of research to prove any validity to ...
shoulder pain4/20/2009
  Q: Doctor Gillman, I am a 22 year old male who has been powerlifting for about 8 years now. I have had ...
  A: Jeremy, You may still have osteolysis at the distal clavicle. It could be that simple. You also ...
SI Joint4/19/2009
  Q: Three months ago I began suffering lower back pain and could not bend forward more than 4-6 inches ...
  A: Ian, This really sounds like a lumbar disc problem. Was that MRI of the lumbar spine? An ...
microdiscectomy4/18/2009
  Q: My fiance has a herniated disc in her lower back and tried an epidural injection which did nothing. ...
  A: Scott, If she does not have pain in her leg, only in her buttock, then she should try conservative ...
Spinal alignment4/18/2009
  Q: I have been looking for the answer as to why my body is so badly out of alignment since 2002. I am ...
  A: Steven, Tape is used very often, just like you described, in treating musculoskeletal conditions. ...
3 months lower back pain4/16/2009
  Q: My lower back (low as the pelvic bone and few inches higher than tail bone) began hurting randomly ...
  A: You have a very common problem. It is the main problem that chiropractors deal with on a daily ...
menstrual cramps4/15/2009
  Q: I was having a regular adjustment from my chiropractor when he brought up the subject of helping ...
  A: The long and short of it is this: it's junk. He's doing something in line with a technique called, ...
left arm, heart pain4/14/2009
  Q: I am 31 years old and have never had any sickness that I know of. Basically I'm in pretty good ...
  A: Thomas, If stress is a factor, then one cause can be from myofascial trigger points in the ...
Can adjustments cause muscle spasms?4/13/2009
  Q: Gillman, I've been going for chiropractic for just under 1 year. I initially began because I was ...
  A: High-velocity joint manipulation, depending on how it's done and who is doing it, can strain a ...
Body/Pseudo Memory?4/11/2009
  Q: Gillman, I am planning an acupuncture practice later this year in Nashville, TN. Some of my friends ...
  A: Mike, I almost spammed your question when I saw the title, but you present a question worth ...
safety, appropriate plan of care, dental bite change, ? of possible stroke due to neck adjustments4/10/2009
  Q: All was well until I woke up in Feb having trouble walking and couldn't bend over to put my shoes ...
  A: Heather, First, there has been speculation about alterations in bite following neck joint ...
Spondylolisthesis / Sciatica4/9/2009
  Q: I have a spondylolisthesis at L4 and have been experiencing growing sciatic pain for the last year ...
  A: Remember the saying, "If your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like nails"? Well, that's ...
Lost 50% of curve in Arc of Life4/8/2009
  Q: I recently took my 15 year old daughter complaining of occasional lower back pain to a Maximized ...
  A: This is a VERY important issue. I've written in previous Q/A's on this site about this type of ...
Chiropractic Care in Pregnancy4/8/2009
  Q: At 29 weeks pregnant, I am currently seeing a chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy care. This ...
  A: I can understand your concerns. However, please be assured that your baby is very safe. Your body ...
headache and neck pain after chiropractic adjustment3/31/2009
  Q: My friend had her neck and back adjusted a couple of weeks ago by a reputable chiropractor. She has ...
  A: Courtney, No, she's not in danger. No, she's not going to have a stroke. She likely had a mild ...
Severe burn, then chronic pain in shoulder after adjustment3/30/2009
  Q: Gillman, I periodically get an overall adjustments from my chiropractor. The last time I went I got ...
  A: Kim, 'Too bad you had such a terrible experience. First, based on what you've told me, there must ...
ankle/foot concern3/29/2009
  Q: Over the course of my life I have laterally rolled my right ankle on numerous occasions. ...
  A: Tamara, You have what's called "functional instability" to the right ankle, meaning that it ...
cervical and thoracic arthrosis3/28/2009
  Q: I'm 35 years old , 5 years ago I had some lower back pain so I went to see a chiropractor. He took ...
  A: Carlo, You experienced very poor care by the chiropractor. There was no reason to take x-rays, ...
knee pain during run3/27/2009
  Q: i have just got back from a run where i have had to be driven home because i got a pain in my knee ...
  A: Ian, This is commonly called "Runners Knee" and you can google this and see tons of information on ...
Back, hip and shoulder problems3/26/2009
  Q: I am a 23 year old college graduate with a number of back, hip and shoulder problems stemming from ...
  A: Tyler, I would caution you against the heel lift. If it is not exactly on target in alleviating ...
Arm Concerns3/25/2009
  Q: I just received a massage about 2 hours ago. I have been reading about shoulder/arm pain. I have ...
  A: Natalie, First: wait. Give it a day or two. If it is not gone, then you need to see the ...
Rib Slippage3/24/2009
  Q: I went to a chiropractor for two mildly herniated discs. After about the second adjustment I ...
  A: John, If you are talking about herniated cervical discs, then please note that the herniated ...
tight neck muscles after CDH3/24/2009
  Q: G. I've written you before. I had a C6C7 large disc herniation in January. I have no nerve pain ...
  A: Joni, Neck joint manipulation is supposed to make joints less stiff. If all you are getting is ...
Elbow clicking and grinding while pronating forearm3/22/2009
  Q: I had a work injury years ago when my forearm flexed at 90 degree was suddenly over pronated with a ...
  A: Alex, If the MRI did not show signs of fracture, cartilage fragments or other "osteochondral ...
DID MY CHIROPRACTOR MAKE MY BACK WORSE?3/21/2009
  Q: AFTER 24 YEARS OF A MINOR, BUT CONSISTENT NECK & LOWER BACK STIFFNESS, I FINALLY DECIDED TO SEEK ...
  A: Dave, Doctors always seem to have difficulty admitting that they were the cause of someone's pain. ...
psoas muscle3/20/2009
  Q: I have had chronic back pain for the past three years following a car accident. I was just ...
  A: Danielle, A doctor of chiropractic is licensed to differentially diagnose and treat musculoskeletal ...
Neck alignment3/19/2009
  Q: I am currently seeing a physical therapist who tells me that various vertebrae from the mid back to ...
  A: Chris, There is no such thing as "misalignment" of vertebrae or vertebrae that go into or out of ...
Sternum3/12/2009
  Q: My daughter all of a sudden in Dec. had extreme pain in her chest, having trouble breathing, ...
  A: DeeAnn, Absolutely NOT Crazy!! I, too, at age 13 had terrible sternal pain and I was taken to the ...
neck ache not responding to chiropractic treatment.. In need of reassurance and advice please3/11/2009
  Q: I have had neck ache and discomfort for the last 6 months now, it is most problematic when i am ...
  A: Eight sessions with no change means that there is something missing in your treatment. If all you ...
BICEPS TEAR3/10/2009
  Q: GREETINGS DOCTOR,I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOUR HELP REGARDING A TORN BICEPS.I AM A STRENGTH ATHLETE 6'1" ...
  A: Panagiotis, Did you have an MRI scan of the biceps? There are two-head of the biceps muscle ...
neck pain and sinus infections3/9/2009
  Q: I was in an automobile accident and suffered whiplash. I have to go to a chiropractor once or twice ...
  A: Jennifer, I have no idea what you mean by "works my sinuses." Does he press on your face with his ...
biochemistry and chiropractic3/8/2009
  Q: The basis of my question is for a project in my biochemistry class. Our topic is how biochemistry ...
  A: Artie, I'm sorry if I go on a rant with this. There no longer is such a thing as a straight and a ...
my back3/7/2009
  Q: I have countless back problems, but today I will focus on two. I am 59 and have moderate scoliosis. ...
  A: The upper thoracic hump is likely a "Dowager's Hump" and it is congenital. You probably inherited ...
Pain after Adjustments3/7/2009
  Q: I am currently seeing a chiropractor who has adjusted me twice I have some lower back problems which ...
  A: Laurie, First, since you felt okay right after the neck adjustment, that means that there was no ...
Lumbar 53/6/2009
  Q: Just did my MRI test last wk, found out that minor issue on my Lumbar5 as it appeared to hitting the ...
  A: Franklin, What you have is common and treatable. Go to the chiropractor or the PT. If you have a ...
Foot pain and swelling3/6/2009
  Q: I broke both my heels in a fall from a latter in Sept 08. I had surgery to repair the bones with ...
  A: Harold, Unfortunately, your condition is not easy to deal with. Post surgical pain and the ...
hump below neck and curve loss in neck 95%.. help!!2/27/2009
  Q: since i have had this hump on the bottom of where my next meets shoulders for about a year.. they ...
  A: First, please search through some of my previous answers regarding neck curves and the preposterous ...
shoulder pain2/27/2009
  Q: For a long time now I have a shoulder pain, Its on my left shoulder, and it feels like its beneath ...
  A: Jonathan, It sounds like you are developing an anterior shoulder impingement syndrome. I would ...
12 year old son2/25/2009
  Q: my son went for an orthodontic evaluation which included a head/neck xray. the orthodontist referred ...
  A: If your son has no aches/pains of any sort, then there is no need to rush to the chiropractor. The ...
Dr. G previous answer2/24/2009
  Q: You previously stated that for snapping hip syndrome there is no use for anti-inflammatory ...
  A: Ashley, I didn't forget to consider anything. I gave the most obvious answer since this is not a ...
back pain2/23/2009
  Q: I injured one of my ribs a few years ago (the costal cartilage on the tip of my 10th rib in the ...
  A: KC, This is a common statement, "I tried chiropractic..." Chiropractic is a health field and the ...
walking problems2/23/2009
  Q: Two years ago I developed a limp and could not straighten my right leg. After various consultations ...
  A: Anne, Depending on your age and any underlying conditions you may have, odds are the a chiropractor ...
Elbow Problem - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!2/22/2009
  Q: I recently hit my elbow against the weightlifting bar pretty hard. I've seen a doctor and told me ...
  A: John, You obviously have some irritation to the ulnar nerve that runs along the medial (ulnar) side ...
scope of practice2/11/2009
  Q: I am curious about what types of conditions a chiropractor can really correct. I had a two level ...
  A: Amy, Find a chiropractor that is more clinically astute and evidence-based. He cannot make any ...
chronic back pain2/9/2009
  Q: I fell recently on my back. I have been going to a chiropractor,for a couple of weeks, but I don't ...
  A: Dawanna, If you don't feel at least 50% better in the first six treatment sessions, then the ...
Neck pain2/8/2009
  Q: About 1998/99 when I was about 41 yrs old, I somehow sustained an injury to my top disc, which ...
  A: Hazel, Your mention of arthritis in the hands and knees is a tip-off that you likely have it in ...
mid-pain pain in adolescent female distance runner2/7/2009
  Q: My daughter is a 17 year-old distance runner. She began experiencing sharp pain in her mid back ...
  A: Pat, This sure sounds like either pleural irritation, rib/spine joint irritation, or the ...
leg numbness2/5/2009
  Q: leg is numb and when rubbed feels like sunburned went to chiropractor and they said might take from ...
  A: Charles, No, depending what your diagnosis is. If you have sciatica, yes it can take that long. ...
pain after a chiropractor1/31/2009
  Q: i went to see a chiropractor and he was aligning my spine ,, then he had told me that my shoulder ...
  A: Vanessa, I don't know what the DC performed on your shoulder, though most shoulder adjustment are ...
Pleural Adhesion?1/30/2009
  Q: I saw your answer to somebody about pleural adhesion but I couldn't find much more information ...
  A: TCW, Typically, pleural adhesion causes a sudden, sharp, catching jag of pain that alleviates ...
back pain1/29/2009
  Q: I am 26 years old, My occupation is to continuously work on computer (sitting)At times I have ...
  A: Adnan, Yes, prolonged sitting in a slumped position can irritate the discs in your lumbar spine. ...
Chiropractic only for CDH?1/26/2009
  Q: G. Everytime I google a question, I find "your" answers to others' questions and have enjoyed ...
  A: The posture you described is typical of an asthmatic. You also likely have a forward carry of your ...
bizarre injury1/26/2009
  Q: I'm in my 50's. Doing isometrics some 6 months ago, I dislocated the cartilage connecting to my ...
  A: J, Go to www.grastontechnique.com and find a provider. There's your perception of instability, ...
Which treatment is best?1/24/2009
  Q: "Hi I have vertigo and dizziness plus tintinnes ringing in the ears. I have been in a couple of ...
  A: Mae, The Atlas Orthogonal concept has no scientific validity. The atlas will not reposition itself ...
Reflux1/13/2009
  Q: My 7 yr old son was diagnosed with Reflux 5 years ago & is on daily medication for it. I've been to ...
  A: Actually, it's worth a try. There are lots of cases of GI issues helped by chiropractors. The ...
Back pain L4 L5 region1/10/2009
  Q: I wen to see a chiropractor for back pain on low back right side. I have been treated in the past ...
  A: I'm sorry to say, but what you have experienced is a three-ring-circus of bad treatment. First of ...
C6/7 disk protrusion1/7/2009
  Q: An MRI shows: I have a C6/7 right posterolateral disk protrusion extending into the foramen. It ...
  A: Mike, Simple: If you have a lot of arm/hand pain, loss of reflex and muscle weakness, then you ...
Pain within spine and rib cage area1/6/2009
  Q: I found this and other e-mails and needed to ask as I suffer also. Just came off an ER visit to the ...
  A: Chris, This is a very common scenario, a hospital ER visit thinking you're having a heart attack ...
neck pain1/6/2009
  Q: I have problems with my neck. I always have pain and numbness in my left side of my upper back (next ...
  A: Monica, You have "Neck-Tongue Syndrome" (NTS). I would advise you to have a good examination by a ...
cervical issues1/4/2009
  Q: My husband has been having severe neck pain and pain shooting down his arm for the past 6 weeks. We ...
  A: Amy, The "moderate to severe narrowing" at C5-6 makes me quite cautious against any high velocity ...
Ankles and Neck1/3/2009
  Q: I sprained my ankle playing soccer about four years ago and ever since my ankle cracks when I point ...
  A: DJ, First, any fluid-filled (synovial) joint has the potential to make noise regardless of whether ...
questions about chiropractic treatments1/2/2009
  Q: Some chiropractors sound like snake oil salesmen by claiming to cure everything. Realistically, ...
  A: Some chiropractors are like snake oil salesmen... First off, let me say that "adjustment" means ...
TMD1/1/2009
  Q: I have a severe case of TMD. It causes dull pain and pressure in what feels like my left ear. It ...
  A: If you do not have osteoarthritis of the TMJ, and you do not have a deranged or torn disc (there is ...
Plantar Fastitis12/29/2008
  Q: Does Plantar Fastitis cause calf and ankle ache
  A: Generally it does not. The classic presentation of plantar fascitis is pain along the bottom ...
Sternum Cracking12/18/2008
  Q: Over the past several months I have noticed a different feeling in my sternum. The feeling is not ...
  A: Paul, This is not an uncommon symptom. There are few answers or explanations for this condition in ...
Elbow/Forearm Clicking Noise12/17/2008
  Q: about a month ago I was getting up from a seated position, pushing up with both arms, when I noticed ...
  A: Dave, Joints will make noise if there is adhesion or scar tissue in the joint, if there is anatomic ...
which is the best method/safest for cervical decompretion12/13/2008
  Q: with so many decompression table like spinemed, DRX 900 and others ... which is best for treating ...
  A: Koshav, To the best of my knowledge, the Cox Table with Cervical Distraction headpiece is the best ...
L1 herniated disk12/12/2008
  Q: My son has just returned from 14 mo deployment, aprx 10 months in pain in his hip/low back ...
  A: I'm sorry your son has endured this for so long. I'd sure like to see the MRI results and learn ...
numbness in left hand fingures12/9/2008
  Q: my pinky and ring finger on my left arm have been numb for a few days now! i have no other pain or ...
  A: Eva, See if you can locate a chiropractor that has certification in Graston Technique (go to ...
hump on back of neck12/4/2008
  Q: I just started noticing the bump, is there an exercise I can do to help reduce it? Will an increase ...
  A: The hump I'm presuming you're describing is called a Dowager's Hump. It is congenital (likely got ...
Failing ot hold upper cervical adjustment.12/2/2008
  Q: For many years I had been seeing an upper cervical Chiropractor (Blair) for chronic neck and back ...
  A: Matt: from what you're telling me, the problem is your ankle. If your ankle is unstable, then it ...
Back/Neck/Hip... all messed up!11/25/2008
  Q: G., Let me start by saying I was somewhat skeptical that my "back spasm" could be fixed by a ...
  A: Sorry, Stephen, but it is difficult to answer your question. I need a little more concrete data. ...
SI joint problem11/24/2008
  Q: I have been having a problem with my hips for a few months now, and would like some advice on wether ...
  A: Jaci, This is a no-brainer! Take out the heel lift! First, a doctor better be real sure before ...
# of times to go to Chiro11/21/2008
  Q: This is very similar to Louise's question from 11/15. I am a 22 year old female. I just started ...
  A: Your gut feeling is correct: the treatment program that chiropractor is prescribing has absolutely ...
numb arm after chiro visit11/20/2008
  Q: I recently started seeing a new chiropractor after I had violent and sudden rib pain with no ...
  A: The first clue was the one-year payment scenario. I'm not a fan of this. What if you injur ...
discomfort after adjustment11/20/2008
  Q: I am seeing a chiropractor for health concerns, such as allergies and overall health. He is also a ...
  A: Tracy, It sounds like you received an instrument-delivered force to your joint and it strained or ...
frequency of adjustments chronic lbp11/15/2008
  Q: Gillman, I am a 38 year old female with a history of low back pain. I do not get radicular ...
  A: Yes, this sounds like a lot to me, too. I am not clear what you mean by "get very shifted." If ...
ribs and back pain11/14/2008
  Q: about three weeks ago i went to my doctor who is a DO because i was having pain in my back and sides ...
  A: Samantha, Forget the ice. Ask the DC or DO to do some massage and heat, and then adjust the rib ...
pain when running11/13/2008
  Q: Gillman, My 16 year old daughter runs distance in school. She ran a two mile event in late May 2008 ...
  A: Christy, First, I think it would be a good idea to completely rule out any internal organ ...
disabling chronic NSLBP 25yo11/12/2008
  Q: Dr G! LBP initially manifesting itself as general muscular tightness associated with heavy (leg) ...
  A: Mike: This is mind-boggling! You've surely had a long haul with this. That's too bad, sorry. My ...
Back Pain11/11/2008
  Q: My question to you is which Dr. should I consult about my back and neck? I have days when I don't ...
  A: Tina, Chiropractors are spine care specialists. We are trained to examine and treat neck and back ...
Possible Triceps Injury10/31/2008
  Q: I am currently recovering from a broken ankle, and did not lift weights during the first four weeks ...
  A: Kirk, From what you're describing, I'm assuming you have been on crutches. This puts pressure on ...
Loose T7?10/30/2008
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I'd like your opinion. The first time I had a back spasm I was 15. I'd bent over ...
  A: Rob, THis is an interesting and curious situation. First off, congrats on dropping 50 pounds! ...
Hip,lower buttock and calf pain10/29/2008
  Q: I am 75,female,physically very active.3 months ago,experienced irregular"pins and needles" in front ...
  A: Enid, Please go directly to your orthopedic doctor to check this out. You simply may have some ...
brachioradial pruritus10/28/2008
  Q: I read a question/answer on this topic but can't find the doctor listed, so I am asking you. I am ...
  A: Valerie, See a neurologist and rule out shingles, post herpetic neuralgia, cervical radiculitis ...
Pelvis adjustment10/24/2008
  Q: I have a question regarding a 'technique' used this week by my chiropractor to adjust my pelvis. The ...
  A: Kat, It sounds like he was putting pressure on the psoas muscle or its tendon, or possibly on the ...
chiropractic neck adjustments and tingling10/23/2008
  Q: well ive been ill for over two months my symptoms are constant light headed, fatigue,head ...
  A: Dan, It is true that the joints of the upper cervical spine can cause your symptoms. X-ray to find ...
SCOLIOSIS10/23/2008
  Q: I HAVE TWO CURVES IN MY BACK BOTH 53 DEGREES. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO BECAUSE I GET A LOT OF ...
  A: Melinda, Your curves are not likely to get any worse. Sometimes they can progress a few degrees as ...
Left foot numbness and cramping10/22/2008
  Q: First - THANK You for posting your other answers, and taking the time to consider my condition. I ...
  A: James, Hang in there! THere's likely a solution. I have questions, though. Why is everyone ...
Is it safe to get adjusted?10/21/2008
  Q: ..I've been going to physical therapy for a radial head fracture (happened 8/29/08) 2x per week and ...
  A: It is very save to get adjusted. There is no known correlation between getting adjusted and ...
Knee Clicking10/19/2008
  Q: SYMPTOM: My right knee recently began clicking audibly with every step & I'm experiencing some ...
  A: Corianne, Stand on one leg, the one with the painful knee, bend about 20-20 degrees, and then twist ...
chest tightness pain in the sternum10/15/2008
  Q: in the last 2 months or so I have noticed in my chest around the area of my sternum that when I pull ...
  A: David, Too bad you don't have insurance (a separate topic) because it's quite easy for a ...
CarWreck200510/13/2008
  Q: Hey Scott, I was in a car wreck in 2005. My seat belt wasn't connected properly, the car flipped, ...
  A: Kevin, Get a physical examination by a doctor that has training in muscluloskeletal medicine - not ...
Back10/12/2008
  Q: You seem very knowledgeable, please help! My back has had pain since I was young (12), it started ...
  A: Sara, What did going to the chiropractor consist of? There is a giant difference between a DC that ...
Herniated Disc10/6/2008
  Q: I have a 10 year old herniated disc which has started to flare up due to my Zumba classes. I love ...
  A: Not knowing any information except for what you gave me, my best advice is to be careful with any ...
neck soreness and crepitus10/5/2008
  Q: I've been going to a chiropractor for about 2 months now. The original reason I started going was ...
  A: Jean, "Network" is not a mainstream method in chiropractic. It is the esoteric, unsubstantiated, ...
Mid-back (rib) pain after seeing chiropractor10/4/2008
  Q: Just a little over a week ago I went to see a chiropractor regarding my pain in mid-back section. ...
  A: Tell the chiropractor to take the blinders off his head and consider: 1) his adjustments are ...
Pro Adjuster10/3/2008
  Q: Is there any real evidence that the Pro Adjuster is legitimate worthwhile therapy or is it snake oil ...
  A: Rusell, I do not own a ProAdjuster. From what I know about it, it is one of may gizmo devices that ...
Leg Numbness10/1/2008
  Q: I saw a Chiropractor two days ago. He made the usual adjustments and added another where he pressed ...
  A: Don, Odds are that the adjustment was in the transition zone between your thoracic and lumbar ...
more neck questions9/30/2008
  Q: Dr. G, I have read some of your answers and they are really helpful! I had my first ever ...
  A: Range of motion of fingers? Did he measure the range of motion of your fingers and compare them to ...
Back Pain9/29/2008
  Q: I am a Computer programmer.Daily i need to sit 8-10 hours in a chair. I am getting back pain(Lower ...
  A: First: you must learn to modify how you sit. I wish I could demonstrate sitting postures for you to ...
chiropractors9/21/2008
  Q: The pain is dull if in sitting normally or standing up, but when i twist to the left or bend ...
  A: Amber, You have joint dysfunction causing joint irritation. A joint "popped" and now you have pain? ...
Back Pain9/17/2008
  Q: Sir, I am a 32 software professional, fully fit and fine till 3-4 months back.Since last 3-4 months ...
  A: Jeeban, 'Sorry that you've not been helped. What you have sure must be frustrating. It is very ...
leg length difference and back pain9/17/2008
  Q: I have a leg length discrepancy of 11mm that has been contributing to a case of piriformis syndrome ...
  A: Jaci, This is a difficult question to answer, and while I can give you a real slick answer and ...
pain in arm9/15/2008
  Q: In July I went to get my travel shots for India. I got a Typhoid and hep A in my right arm. Ever ...
  A: Daniela, I have seen this before. It is likely from irritation to the nearest bursa of the ...
possible fractured sternum9/12/2008
  Q: My 13 year son plays football and has been complaining for a few weeks about his sternum. Last ...
  A: Elisa, First, how do you know he has a cracked sternum? Was there an xray or CT scan? If there ...
Possible manubriosternal dislocation - Advice?9/11/2008
  Q: I have read a few of your past answers to manubriosternal related questions but they weren't ...
  A: Scott, This is a very difficult condition to treat, and short of resting it, there is no fast cure. ...
neck straight instead of curved9/10/2008
  Q: This is a great site! I have had in the past year when I'm putting on my mascara, my hand falls ...
  A: Bonnie, What we know is that neck joint manipulation can alleviate neck pain, and that the manual ...
scoliosis9/9/2008
  Q: I'm 28 y/o I have scoliosis and have had it since birth.I've always suffered from back pain, and ...
  A: I'm glad you took the initiative to question your treatment. First, my recommendation is to get out ...
Pain in upper back9/6/2008
  Q: I recently started have pain in upper rightside of my back near shoulder blade almost like i have a ...
  A: Stephanie, Yes. Recently sleeping with your arms overhead can be a factor, for sure. You also may ...
Back and Neck Pain and Popping8/31/2008
  Q: I am 28 years old and having some back pain and popping in my neck and back. I wake up each morning ...
  A: Camie, Chronic postural strain to the joints, combined with a loss of the normal curve in the ...
Left arm numbness and weakness8/30/2008
  Q: Plz help! 3 weeks ago I woke with a pain on left side of spine between shoulder blades T3 area. ...
  A: David, At best it's simply a temporary "neuropraxia," such as what happens when you sit ...
cervical bone spur treatment options8/28/2008
  Q: I have been in pain for aprox.6 weeks, recently in the last week diagnosed via MRI with a neck bone ...
  A: David, The only reason to have surgery is if there is compression of the nerve such that you lose ...
Back of Head HEADACHES8/23/2008
  Q: I started having pounding headaches one morning as I was talking to a student at my desk. Once I ...
  A: Isreal, What you're experiencing is common. The fact that you can change the headache symptom by ...
chiro tx for a 7 year old8/19/2008
  Q: I have a 7 year old child that is being treated for cervical strain/sprain with e-stim. He is ...
  A: There is only one study I'm aware of that showed a small benefit when including e-stim along with ...
spine pops, discomfort and "itchiness" a week later7/29/2008
  Q: About 2 weeks ago, I had my second visit to a chiropractor where I was undergoing conservative ...
  A: John, There is no reason to assume that itchiness has anything to do with nerve damage. Sorry, but ...
rib and back pain Plz reply ASAP, not long till football starts7/28/2008
  Q: 3 weeks ago I went tubing at the lake being pulled by boat and I didn't let go and it stretched a ...
  A: Dustin, See if you can find a DC that is on this list: www.acbsp.com preferably a DACBSP (good ...
Pain behind the knee and lower7/27/2008
  Q: Good day For the last five weeks I thought that I was experiencing sciatica. I have had this before ...
  A: Bev, First, you cannot assume anything from looking at an X-ray. The research shows that Xray ...
Headach/dizziness/soreness after neck manipulation7/25/2008
  Q: , I went to get an adjustment this morning, and coincidently I had a conversation with the dr. ...
  A: Don't be worried. It is no uncommon to have these side effects from neck joint manipulation. Some ...
dizziness and shoulder pain7/24/2008
  Q: I was interested in a question and answer to a girl called Violet from March last year. In the ...
  A: Nick, It may be that you have two separate issues. The neck, shoulder blade thing clearly sounds ...
numb fingers7/24/2008
  Q: I am 38 and have been experiencing numbness in my fingertips in both hands...they also feel hard to ...
  A: Theresa, This could be from the spine as well as from the area in front of the neck called the ...
left side mild back pain7/23/2008
  Q: i pulled my back really bad in march 2007, prior to that i had a minor car accident where i was rear ...
  A: Roberto, There's no way to know for sure if you really have scar tissue except to perform an MRI ...
Chronic S-I issues7/22/2008
  Q: I've been a chiropractic patient for 35 years. My DC retired about 7 years ago & in that period of ...
  A: Kathy, I'd sure like to know what evidence that DC has to show that side posture adjustments ...
Pinched nerve7/22/2008
  Q: About a year ago, I woke up in the morning with a terrible pain in my left shoulder, got ...
  A: Chris, This is a very common condition. The numbness, or "paresthesia", as it's called is often a ...
fractured/dislocated elbow7/21/2008
  Q: My 12 yr. old daughter dislocated and fractured her left elbow on April 9, doing a back hand spring. ...
  A: Diane, Yes, unlike PT', doctors of chiropractic (DC) have extensive training in performing joint ...
Tingling in the face7/20/2008
  Q: This symptom has just started about a week ago. Everytime I get up from a sitting position, my ...
  A: June, Facial paresthesias can come from direct irritation to the facial or trigeminal nerve, or can ...
Lower back/ hip issue7/17/2008
  Q: For the last few years I have had a sciatic nerve issue where for a week or so every year I have ...
  A: 'Sorry for the delay in responding to your question...I had family in this week and forgot to turn ...
popping and pain in dancer leg and hip area7/15/2008
  Q: my daughter is training to be a professional dancer.she has popping and pain where the ball and ...
  A: Susan, This is called "Snapping Hip" syndrome and it likely is coming from the psoas tendon on the ...
Dance Disaster!7/12/2008
  Q: Im 16 years old and i have recently started back to dancing after an injury about 2 and a half years ...
  A: Amy, First, before I (or anyone) can make any recommendations at all, it is imperitive that you ...
bone spur7/10/2008
  Q: I went to an osteopath for treatment and he adjusted my neck. Afterward I couldn't stand (my ...
  A: Jen, DO NOT LET THE OSTEOPATH ADJUST YOUR NECK AGAIN!!! You may have experienced a "transient ...
side posture adjustment7/2/2008
  Q: I went to a chiropractor for a neck adjustment and after the adjustment I was leaving the room when ...
  A: Bobby, First, I don't know why the DC didn't check your lower back a bit more than 20 seconds ...
back pain6/30/2008
  Q: I am a fit 27 year old woman. 5'3, 110 lbs, I eat right, work out, but struggle with chronic back ...
  A: Kristy, First, keep on exercising. Focus on core exercises in general. Strengthen all of your ...
Meniere's Syndrome6/29/2008
  Q: I have been suffering with Meniere's syndrome for several years. I see a specialist in the field ...
  A: Valerie, I'm sorry, but I've not read any convincing literature that joint manipulation or other ...
limitations to sports6/27/2008
  Q: I am a 17 year old female. On 4/16/08 I got into a roll over automobile accident. I was ...
  A: Kelly, Simply, you can re-enter your sports when your body feels able to and when you have regained ...
sternum pain6/26/2008
  Q: I have been everywhere looking for an answer to my problem...to no avail. I sure hope you have some ...
  A: Greg, I would agree that you somehow sprained the ligaments or injured the cartilage around the ...
Cervical Bulging Disc6/20/2008
  Q: My son is a 16 year old football player who has "...mild posterior disc bulges at the C3-C4 and ...
  A: Charles, A 16 year old has the potential for the bulging disc to "resorb" to a certain degree, ...
27 months6/18/2008
  Q: I'm a 42 year old male subject, two years ago i was doing some extreme stretching twisting my body ...
  A: Aaron, First of all, "extreme stretching", especially into rotation or trunk flexion, is a really ...
I know, another reverse curve question6/18/2008
  Q: I have done some reading of your answers to others about reverse curves. Of course, I have been told ...
  A: Michele, Remember, there's no good evidence that any sort of spine manipulation will improve an ...
back and hip pain6/17/2008
  Q: I am a 17 year old male, 6 foot 8 and about 200 pounds. I was playing in a basketball game ...
  A: Jordan, Unless you have a giant swollen area, ice will not do anything. The side-posture joint ...
recent chiro visit6/17/2008
  Q: i recently had some xrays and an evaluation performed at a local chiro office due to some problems ...
  A: Cathy, There is no reason why a doctor cannot take the time to answer questions about clinical ...
Bicep pain6/15/2008
  Q: Dr Scott, I recently started working (last week) with dumbbells after a long time. I did do the ...
  A: Dude, you simply have what's called: "delayed onset muscle soreness," or DOMS. It will slowly go ...
upper back pain6/12/2008
  Q: I've had right upper back pain for about one year now. I think I hurt it working out/lifting ...
  A: Matt, My thoughts are that if the PT was not working then you must try another avenue. It simply ...
whiplash???????????6/2/2008
  Q: i had a fall 6 months ago landed on my right side but my left arm got pins and needles straight ...
  A: Leanne, This sounds like post traumatic stress... I'd advise you to get some mental health ...
postural lumbar syndrome5/10/2008
  Q: I have postural lumbar syndrome second to kyphosis(round back) and hypolordosis. My NMRI shows mild ...
  A: Let's see if I can help clarify some concepts. First, at 25, there is little chance that your ...
rib problem and nausea5/7/2008
  Q: I have been having this on going problem with pain on my left side in my rib area. I do go to a ...
  A: Cherie, Has the DC ruled out any internal organ disease? Gall bladder irritation, for example, can ...
Sciatic relief5/6/2008
  Q: I have stenosis in L3 and 3 bulging discs-L 2,3,4. Also arthritis. I tried a chiropractor for 6 ...
  A: Sue, I'm not sure what your chiropractic treatment entailed, e.g. side-posture joint manipulation ...
Back pain5/6/2008
  Q: I have had back pain since I was about fourteen years old. My back pain occurs in several different ...
  A: Bill, Sorry you're having such difficulties. First off, tell the DC to stop wasting your time and ...
Rib Injury5/4/2008
  Q: Mr. Gillman, I previously got help on this website from someone else, but he’s on vacation. I need ...
  A: Jason, Find a good DC to tend to you. Ask in advance what it will cost, and what information it ...
Back pain &soreness from visits5/2/2008
  Q: I have lower back pain that occurs about twice a year when my back goes out and I can barely move. ...
  A: I'm curious about what kind of "treatments" you're receiving. If it's standard hands-on joint ...
Numbness5/1/2008
  Q: Just yesterday, I was out wakeboarding. I ended up doing an extremely hard impacted fall on my ...
  A: Danni, It sounds like you had a concussion, and also mild, transiant spinal cord syndrome ...
Ankle ligaments4/29/2008
  Q: I damaged my ankle ligaments over ten years ago playing football and had no treatment at all. i then ...
  A: Simon, First, an orthopedist or a sports chiropractor should evaluate the ankle and determine if ...
Manipulation With Neck Fracture4/26/2008
  Q: My low back has been absolutely killing me and I would love to go see a Chiropractor. The only ...
  A: Shay, Yes, you can see a chiropractor with an old spinous process fracture of C2. It is not a ...
back ache4/19/2008
  Q: i dont know how that happened but i think it was from playing basketball. everytime i lench forward ...
  A: Kenny, My suggestion is simple: go to a chiropractor. Get checked out and hopefully you will ...
shoulder damage4/15/2008
  Q: About a year ago while playing golf I lowered a full golf bag, with a shoulder strap,heavily on my ...
  A: Robin, It sounds to me like you have a Shoulder Impingment Syndrome, likely a subacromial ...
back pain from fall4/14/2008
  Q: I hope you can help me, i had a fall 2 months and a half ago, I was ice skating, someone pushed me ...
  A: Adriana, Despite not knowing details about your age, physique, or other parameters, suffice it to ...
upper back and chest and rib pain4/5/2008
  Q: i began seeing a chiropracter in oct07, i was exper. left sided chest pains(stings, burns, ect.) to ...
  A: Vehicle crash impacts can be quite damaging to the spine and cause a variety of long-term symptoms. ...
Neck, Back, and Leg Pain4/4/2008
  Q: I had been seeing a new chiropractor between January and March of this year. She did a few ...
  A: Nancy, It's too bad that the offending chiropractor didn't warn you about the sudden adjustments, ...
Popping pain in my sternum4/3/2008
  Q: Gillman, I wanted to ask your opinion about what is happening to me and what I should do about ...
  A: Ben, First, I'm assuming that you are gymnast. Possibly limber and even born loose-jointed. 'Just ...
Cervical molding and N.A.E.T.4/1/2008
  Q: I've read your many responses to people with reverse curvature of cervical spine; my two teenage ...
  A: Marci, N.A.E.T. is an unscientific and in-valid program. The use of a muscle testing scheme to ...
Back cracking and numbing pains3/31/2008
  Q: I am a healthy 17 year old female. I have been diagnosed with a non-severe case of Scoliosis. My ...
  A: Cheyenne, First, I will also assume, based on what you've said, that your scoliosis is "non-severe" ...
Inappropriate Adjustment?3/31/2008
  Q: I have gone to this chiropractor to be adjusted and I think he is overstepping the line. When he ...
  A: Hannah, Please report this to your state's licensing board! Please take this seriously. It is up ...
Leg numbness after Chiropractor visit3/29/2008
  Q: my 18 yr. old daughter has been through doctors and tests galore with no relief for the past 2 yrs. ...
  A: Mark, It is not unusual for referred pain to change in its nature following manual therapy of any ...
Neck pain after visiting the Chiropractor3/26/2008
  Q: I have been going to the same Chiropractor for half a year now. He doesn't do the normal kind of ...
  A: Jessica, It is my opinion that the adjustment was abrupt, thoughtless, and only good for one party: ...
Again with the reverse curve!3/25/2008
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I read your very helpful responses to the other participants. So, I too have a ...
  A: Becky, Why would your chiropractor want you to first start with PT? My suggestion is to have it ...
Neck and Back3/23/2008
  Q: I am 45 years old and was talked into a neck X-ray while visiting a chiropractor with a friend. I ...
  A: Carol, Please review previous responses on the topic of neck curves and the outrageous treatment ...
Sprained Rib3/16/2008
  Q: 9 days ago after my physical conditioning class, i felt a disconfort on my left side of my rib cage. ...
  A: Karla, Yes, if it's simply a rib joint strain, odds are that it will reduce, but any lingering pain ...
Reverse curve of the neck3/13/2008
  Q: I went to the Chiropractor yesterday and he told me that the reverse curve in my neck could cause a ...
  A: Brandy, What that chiropractor told you is utter garbage! I would ask that he write it down on ...
Wife struggling with back pain3/6/2008
  Q: My wife is only 23 years old and she suffers from chronic back and neck pain. We've had her seeing ...
  A: Your wife is not alone in this. There are many people that suffer with chronic spine pain. My ...
Rib and back pain3/4/2008
  Q: I have had rib and back pain for years. I went to two medical doctors and had my gallbladder ...
  A: Tina, DC's commonly help people with back and rib pain using hands on joint manipulation, ...
excercise headache3/3/2008
  Q: tuesday of last week I was doing my heaviest and longest squats excercise ever. With one set left I ...
  A: Jamie, I'm assuming your CT scan was of your head, attempting to rule out a brain/blood vessel ...
constant neck popping3/1/2008
  Q: Gillman, I would appreciate your advice regarding a persistent popping sound I hear when turning ...
  A: Mai, First, the cracking sound, called crepitus, is common in artrhtic joints and also following ...
Burning pain in legs2/27/2008
  Q: My boyfriend often complains about a burning sensation in his legs and pains as well. he also has ...
  A: Tricia, He is pretty young...could be sciatica from a disc protrusion...could be nerve canal ...
dizzyness2/27/2008
  Q: I've noticed it's worse on movement of eyes/head. I did have whiplash in 2000, but I also wonder ...
  A: Hayley, You need to ask your doctor to rule out the following conditions: BPPV (benign paroxysmal ...
Low Back Pain2/26/2008
  Q: I am considering a consult with a Neurosurgeon for my back pain. My recent MRI showed - ...
  A: Diana, I'm assuming you're a runner, and I would suggest that you continue to run, especially if it ...
compression fracture2/25/2008
  Q: Six weeks ago I suffered two compression fractures in my T-9 and T-11 vertebrae. while looking at my ...
  A: Matt, You wore a constrictive brace: you're going to be sore from that. Your body was meant to be ...
Neck injury2/14/2008
  Q: Yesterday I injured my neck when a trampoline fell on my head...don't ask:-{ The entire right side ...
  A: Rebekah, First: if there is any chance you fractured a bone, do not take any form of ibuprophen. ...
Long Term Effects2/13/2008
  Q: My finance has been going to a chiropractor for quite some time. He always comes home feeling so ...
  A: Sandra, The only long term effects that I am aware of are that that of getting used to feeling good ...
pain2/8/2008
  Q: I was recently in a car accident and have been seeing a chiropractor. My pain is actually getting ...
  A: Connie, 1: Google this: "Whiplash Associated Disorder" and read about how the pain can be quite ...
Loss of neck curve2/6/2008
  Q: My Chiro tell me from looking at my Xray that my neck should have a 42% curve and mine has 13% ...
  A: Please check through some of the past questions I've answered on this topic. In short, the entire ...
numbness in hand2/6/2008
  Q: .. I have been having a funny 'numb' sensation in my left pinky finger, sometimes the ring finger ...
  A: Dani, Here's my advice/reassurance (or lack of reassurance). Given the fact that you had a ...
subluxated rib2/1/2008
  Q: I have had this problem since my senior year in high school. The only trauma to my spine I have ...
  A: Allison, You may have some scar (fibrotic) tissue deep along your spine that developed from the ...
Loss of curve in neck1/31/2008
  Q: I was just told I have 90% loss of curve in my neck,and also that it's rare that it's that bad. He ...
  A: Jane, Both of your doctors are incorrect. There is very little chance of changing your lost neck ...
Rib Problem1/29/2008
  Q: I have had problems with a rib(in my back) popping out. At first it was just sore and hurt to take a ...
  A: Samantha, What you have is not uncommon. We see this all the time and it's not always easy (for ...
herniated discs1/29/2008
  Q: Gillman, I have had discussions with various people concerning herniated discs. I come from a yogi ...
  A: Kyoko, Lumbar discs sustain increased loading when the trunk is flexed to about 30 degrees. The ...
Back Pain w inhaling1/23/2008
  Q: This is the first time I ever experience this. During sleep, I woke up experiencing lower back pain ...
  A: Lynn, This very simply could be a pleural adhesion, where the linings of your lungs and thoracic ...
Sleeping on the floor1/13/2008
  Q: Are there any risks associated with sleeping on a hard ground service? Even taking this further, I ...
  A: Andrew, I've never seen any real research on sleeping surfaces except for one study that only ...
Should I see a chiropractor about neck/head/arm pain?1/11/2008
  Q: I have had intermittent pain from the tips of my fingers all the up to the top of my head. I also ...
  A: Cathy, What you're describing sounds like a disc bulge/protrusion in your neck. Yes, of course, ...
Back pain1/10/2008
  Q: My question is that i started having back pain a couple of months back. So i finally went to the ...
  A: Ronald, It is difficult to truly know how much higher one hip is compared to another. Visual ...
Back cracks when taking deep breaths.1/9/2008
  Q: Whenever I keep my backs straight, most of the time while I'm sitting, I take deep breaths which ...
  A: John, The crack sounds are not harmful or abnormal. It's just joint noise. It may be coming from ...
just hurt my neck1/8/2008
  Q: I have just hurt my neck and im worried, I was sitting on an arm chair and my head feel forward.My ...
  A: Mark, This is a typical/common situation. It is likely an acute joint dysfunction in the neck. No ...
numbness over top left and mid surface of rt. thumb1/5/2008
  Q: DR. GILLMAN I HAVE JUST COMPLETED MY 2ND NECK ADJUSTMENT OF C-6, C-7. X-RAYS SHOWED ...
  A: Jay, From the information you provided me, it sounds like you already had an arthritic disc problem ...
Rib issues front & back1/3/2008
  Q: I am on vacation and experiencing a recurring problem that my chiropractor can fix when I get ...
  A: Barb, Anyone, including myself, that comes up with a very smart and slick answer to your question ...
Rib out? Rib/side/back/shoulder pain.....1/2/2008
  Q: I have had moderate (sometimes severe) pain in my left side since a severe kidney infection the end ...
  A: You may have a myofascial pain syndrome as well as a rib joint dysfunction. Find a provider that ...
facial/neck pain12/28/2007
  Q: In 2003, I experienced an onset of constant facial pain after having a wisdom tooth extraction ...
  A: Lisa, It sounds like you've been through the ringer... You have muscles in the front of your neck, ...
pain in left arm12/26/2007
  Q: I have this pain in my left arm, it started in forearm and now its in part of my bicep.Im not ...
  A: Mark, Depending on what is the cause of your condition, yes, a chiropractor is a logical first ...
Bruising after treaments12/16/2007
  Q: I noticed many bruises on my back after a week of treatments. I do take aspirin daily and I know ...
  A: Becky, If your DC is doing any deep massage, trigger point therapy, or other deep soft tissue ...
severe stenosis of the neck and chiropratic approach12/5/2007
  Q: .I have been diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis. Was first made a ware of the stenosis about 8 ...
  A: Benjamin, Yes, with severe stenosis there is a much greater risk of complications if joint ...
C5 or SI or both12/3/2007
  Q: I am currently in a lot of pain. I don't know what kind of doctor to see. In June of 06 I had been ...
  A: Ilene, I'm sorry you're in such pain. You're not alone. What you describe is quite common and ...
major12/2/2007
  Q: Will majoring in pre-med be a good undergraduate course for chiropractics? And what is the best ...
  A: Martin, Yes, a pre-med or a biology undergrad program is sufficient. If you can get anatomy, ...
radinal nevre palsy11/23/2007
  Q: i need your help i am so scared,and i want to know as much as i can about my problem.heres what ...
  A: Terissa, The symptoms you describe are common with disc bulging and nerve compression in the neck. ...
whiplash11/17/2007
  Q: Three years ago I received whiplash from a car wreck in which my car was hit from the rear (low ...
  A: Ann, First off: Yes it is safe for you to see a chiropractor if all you have is a disc bulge or ...
Fractured Sternum11/14/2007
  Q: I am a 17 year old high school senior. I workout everyday and was recently working out my chest a ...
  A: Anthony, If you still have a lot of pain and it is not alleviating, then you should consider having ...
Numb Fingers, Arms11/14/2007
  Q: Two months ago, I was turning my head and cracked my neck really, really badly. I heard a crunch, ...
  A: Carol, You absolutely do not have cubital tunnel syndrome. Your symptoms are most likely coming ...
Hearing loss after chiropractic adjustment11/13/2007
  Q: I have a similar story as Jean Ball. I have never had any hearing issues until I was adjusted by a ...
  A: I don't know who Jean Ball is... While you've already experienced changes in your hearing with ...
Rib pain after back adjustment10/31/2007
  Q: I started seeing a chiropractor after my lower back pain became severe enough to immobilize me. I ...
  A: Jeff, Manipulation to the middle back can cause rib sprain and in some cases rib fracture. It also ...
Neck pain from straight neck?10/26/2007
  Q: I have been attending a chiropractor for a number of years now for pain and stiffness in my neck. It ...
  A: Annemarie, Yes, this duration and frequency of care is very good for the chiropractor ($$) and not ...
Chiropractic practices10/26/2007
  Q: I have been going to a chiropractor 3 times a week for 3 months. The chiropractor does the same few ...
  A: Craig, Unless you have some severely debilitating condition where you cannot function without ...
My sons neck is crooked10/25/2007
  Q: My son woke up yesterday morning complaining about his neck. He said he felt it pop and we kept him ...
  A: He has torticollis. This simply means that his neck muscles are in spasm and this cocks his head ...
Help!10/25/2007
  Q: I don't know what has happened to me, and cannot find anyone on the Internet with the same ...
  A: Marisol, Go back to the chiropractor and tell him all of this!!! You may have a disc herniation ...
Pregnancy and Chiropractic10/24/2007
  Q: How safe is it for a pregnant woman to seek chiropractic treatment for pain that radiates from lower ...
  A: Alice, Chiropractors have been helping pregnant women all along. It is safe to you and your baby. ...
Neck and shoulder pain10/22/2007
  Q: i am 29 i have very severe shoulder pain, in the scapular up into the neck and surrounds the pain ...
  A: Caron, First, get a thorough musculoskeletal exam by a chiropractor to determine if your pain has ...
Dizziness... Neck?10/21/2007
  Q: . I have had a recurring problem for the last 12 or so years...and lately it has gotten worse... I ...
  A: It sounds like you have BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Look this up on webmd or ...
dizzyness after 2yrs of chiropractic care10/20/2007
  Q: I have been attending my chiropractor for just over 2yrs now, but in the last 3wks i have been ...
  A: Tracey, This is very serious! The symptoms you describe are typical of rupturing aneurism of a ...
Lower/middle left back pain10/18/2007
  Q: I've been having back pain for the past 2 years. Sometimes really bad pain. Whenever i lean to the ...
  A: John, Your pain pattern sounds like an irritated L5 or L4 disc with a possibility of disc ...
Pulled Rib?10/15/2007
  Q: I can not exactly remember the moment. I have been an active person from martial arts surfing and a ...
  A: Chris, Sorry I missed your question previously. It sounds like your previous rib injury set you ...
Meniere's Disease10/9/2007
  Q: Can chiropractic care effectively treat Meniere's Disease? Are there testimonies of such cases? ...
  A: I'm sorry, but I have not seen any evidence that Meniere's can be treated with chiropractic methods. ...
Left shoulder pain10/8/2007
  Q: About 6 months ago i started experiencing discomfort in my shoulder. Two months ago i decided to go ...
  A: Nicky, It sounds to me like you have a bone spur at the acromion process, a semi-circular portion ...
Dizziness10/5/2007
  Q: Can a herniated disc at the L1 L2 level cause any type of dizziness/off balance feeling, or like you ...
  A: Holly, No, I've never heard of Lumbar disc herniations causing dizziness. If you continue to feel ...
lower back pain10/4/2007
  Q: ! i'm 13 years old. the last week i have been suffering from lower back pain it is an acheand when i ...
  A: Everything you told me points to a diagnosis of fracture to the lumbar spine vertebra. There is a ...
back pain?10/3/2007
  Q: Symptoms are pain in right hip, sitting pain in sacrum/coccyx/right side buttock close to centre, ...
  A: Maria, There are several possibilities that come to mind, and depending on your age and medical ...
upper back pain10/2/2007
  Q: I'm 23 years old and for many years now (at least 10) I've been experiencing a sharp pain around my ...
  A: Teri, This surely sounds like a neck problem, where something in your neck is irritated and ...
Multiple problems, no results10/2/2007
  Q: I recently started going to a Chiropractor for problems with my back. I just had a newborn and I ...
  A: Jon, Five weeks at 3x/week and no better? It's not going to change. From what you've given me so ...
How long to get noticeable improvement?9/30/2007
  Q: I have lower, middle, and upper back pain which really feels like my spine isn't sitting right. If ...
  A: James, This is a simple but very worthwhile question, since you would likely get different ...
ProtrudingDisk-Chiropractry9/27/2007
  Q: Gillman: Is it possible chiropractic manipulation of the lower spinal area can cause protruding ...
  A: Maria, It was once thought that side posture joint manipulation put a lot of force on the discs but ...
Severity of condition?9/26/2007
  Q: Gillman, Thanks very much for fielding this question. If I can do anything for you regarding real ...
  A: Daven, You may have developed an adhesion in/around your lower back or pelvic joints from lying ...
Dislocated shoulder9/21/2007
  Q: Eight years ago I dislocated my right shoulder and due not exercising to pop it back into place, ...
  A: Jon, If you dislocated the AC joint, then there's nothing anyone can do. If you disclocated your ...
When is it tomuch?9/19/2007
  Q: Very quickly-My lower spine is crooked and my neck is over compensating by going the other way. I ...
  A: Trish, Yes! It's too much. How can the chiropractor know in advance you need 3x/week for 6 weeks ...
Cracked rib from massage?9/18/2007
  Q: My friend had me lay on my stomach on the floor and told me he could crack my upper back because it ...
  A: Melissa, Yes, this sounds exactly like a cracked rib or a sprain to the zone where the rib meets ...
Old knee injury9/14/2007
  Q: My friend suffered a blunt force trama to his left knee while serving in the USAF in Vietnam in ...
  A: James, It is mere speculation to state if your friend's left knee problem caused the right hip ...
About tingling fingers...9/13/2007
  Q: Sometimes when I crack my neck my fingers start to tingle, almost like a numbing sensation. I wanted ...
  A: Joe, This could be from the nerves in your neck being stretched or pressed on by one or several ...
Popping Sternum9/11/2007
  Q: I've been experiencing a strange popping in my chest for about a year now. It started one morning ...
  A: Jonathan, The popping sound is likely from soft, sternal cartilage in the center of your chest. ...
hip spurs9/4/2007
  Q: I understood that a hip spur is caused by a build up of material on one area and thus repeatedly ...
  A: Be.a: You ask: "Can a chiropractic treatment 'offset' the spine so that the hip will not rub the ...
Lower back General chiropractor question8/22/2007
  Q: i have been suffering from lower back pain continuously for a few yrs and 1 week ago decided to try ...
  A: Terry, Tell the doctor this and be sure that you get RE-EXAMINED BEFORE any further treatment is ...
neck pain8/13/2007
  Q: I recently went to a chiroprator for my neck pain. He showed me my xray and told me that my neck ...
  A: De, No, there is essentially no evidence that exercise or joint manipulation will correct the curve ...
left arm/fingers numb and neck shulder pain7/31/2007
  Q: I got neck and shulder pain for a couple of years. Recently, my left arm and fingers got numb from ...
  A: Sharon, What you are describing is a very common scenario. There are several explanations for your ...
sciatica pain7/15/2007
  Q: i am suffering from sciatica pain since 15 march 2007. age 35/weight 60kg/ build normal. i have been ...
  A: Iffi, It sounds to me like you had a disc rupture or disc protrusion. At 35, it is less likely ...
Muscle Issues7/12/2007
  Q: i have a tightened trapezius muscle thats been giving me grief my doctor advised advil, but it isnt ...
  A: Ammar, Unless you literally strained your trapezius, e.g. from lifting something heavy on your ...
Shoulder pain from neck to forearm7/11/2007
  Q: I thought it was tennis elbow but it has not gone away. Some nights it has gotten worse and some ...
  A: Omar, What you're describing is very commonly caused by irritation or compression to a nerve from ...
annular tear7/3/2007
  Q: hurt my back sept.16 2005. had tests found that I had an annular tear L4-5. Did 9 week of physical ...
  A: Annular tears to the disc can render you with chronic back pain. Also, just because you did 9 weeks ...
pain in butt6/30/2007
  Q: After a long cross-country car trip, I have a severe intermittent pain in my right buttock. It hurts ...
  A: Pat, Yes. This is very typical of the kinds of musculoskeletal conditions we treat. Like cavities ...
scoliosis6/26/2007
  Q: I went to the chiropractor today and he said I have lost the curve in my neck and that I have ...
  A: Rayelle, Scoliosis is defined as a side-to-side curved alteration to what should be a straight up ...
Research question6/25/2007
  Q: I am studying Therapeutic Massage at University and would like to know the reason why it is not ...
  A: This is an excellent question. Clicking and popping noise from a joint is a natural phenomenon. It ...
Popping and tightness in neck and spine6/23/2007
  Q: m 31 years old and I have this problem with my back and neck. Every time I breathe my back will pop ...
  A: Murlette, First, get a thorough examination by a chiropractor. He/she should examine you to see if ...
Pain in Calf6/20/2007
  Q: It has been 6 weeks since I moved all my stuff into my new house, and I have been suffering the ...
  A: Suzy, Chiropractic methods have always been helpful for disc patients. Some people respond better ...
Sales Pitch6/15/2007
  Q: I went to a chiropractor a couple of days ago using a coupon he had in the paper. We got x-rays for ...
  A: Tish, I suggest that you exit that office as quickly as you can. Also consider sending a letter ...
neck/arm pain6/11/2007
  Q: A week and a half ago I woke up with a stiff neck that worked itself out by the next day and then ...
  A: Cathy, Some people have chronic tension in their necks and backs for reasons we don't fully ...
2 sessions Down6/7/2007
  Q: I tried a chiropractor for my lower back pain and have completed two sessions this week. Each ...
  A: Karen, Research indicates that most people with (uncomplicated) lower back pain will respond ...
Pain in the butt :-)6/1/2007
  Q: A couple of months ago I developed pain deep in my left buttock. It isn't constant, tends to get ...
  A: Karen, What you've got is what we specialize in. Find a chiropractor that also is good at deep, ...
Pinched Nerve6/1/2007
  Q: About 4 months ago, I began getting some pain in my upper left arm to the point where sometimes I ...
  A: Phyllis, First, if your pain does not improve after a few days of home care, you must get it looked ...
twitching5/24/2007
  Q: I have this twitching on my thumb on my right hand for the past few days, ive also feel there is a ...
  A: Mark, This is not enough information for me to really help you, but you may likely have two ...
chiropractor says she cant move any of my bones5/24/2007
  Q: I went to my lady chiropractor as i have a bad muscle spasm in my right upper back area in a small ...
  A: Jimmy, If your spine has always been like this, then it may be an inherent nature of your spine. ...
Back Pain/hip pain/rib pain5/17/2007
  Q: I have been having pain in the right side under my ribs, down the side, around to the back, and into ...
  A: Jackie, Your pain likely is not due to a hip (pelvis) being higher or lower unless it is higher or ...
depression and neck adjustments5/16/2007
  Q: I have been faithfully going to my chiropractor for a few years (originally for low back pain) One ...
  A: Anna, Cognitive and emotional changes are very common following whiplash as well as head trauma. I ...
Military neck???5/13/2007
  Q: My 19 year old daughter gets headaches almost EVERY day. She went to her GP, of course he just gave ...
  A: Debbie, First: relax. Military neck is simply a straightening of the text-book normal curve of the ...
unexplainable neck/face pain5/9/2007
  Q: For the last couple of years, I have been experiencing chronic tension/pressure/pain in the back of ...
  A: Vik, You may simply have a suboccipital neuralgia. This would be from mechanical joint dysfunction ...
neck injury5/7/2007
  Q: I dont think this is too serious but can you tell me what the problem is.I have been lifting weights ...
  A: Mark, What you're describing is very common and often easily fixed with the combination of ...
need your opinion5/6/2007
  Q: About a year ago, I began experiencing hip pain and numbness in my right leg at the knee. The ...
  A: Jack, Here are my thoughts on your situation based on the information you provided. First, awhat ...
car accident insurance chiropractor4/17/2007
  Q: Long story short- Rear ended while stopped on highway, 9k worth of damage to car. My wife, myself, ...
  A: Charles, First, it is quite common to treat 3x/week when your in the new and acute stages of care ...
Bone Spurs4/13/2007
  Q: I have bone spurs in my neck (spicules) and am wondering if chiropractic treatment would be ...
  A: It depends on how much spurring you have and where it is located and whether it is causing nerve ...
Slipping rib syndrome4/9/2007
  Q: 3 years ago I was rear ended and suffered terrible muscle spasms in my upper back/shoulders for 2 ...
  A: 'Sorry you're having such difficulty. Is your chiropractor doing any targeted soft tissue work, ...
Sciatica4/9/2007
  Q: I have sciatica down my left side- the same side I have a very bad chronic ankle sprain. Do you ...
  A: Erin, Yes, it is theoretically possible for the chronic ankle sprain to cause sciatica. Knowing ...
Right hip pain4/8/2007
  Q: For over a year now i have had pain in my right hip going down my leg to my toes to the point that ...
  A: Mary, Not knowing any more than what you've told me, it is likely that you have lumbar nerve ...
back and hip4/6/2007
  Q: Ok, so the situation is this. When I was pregnant with my son, 14 yrs ago, my hips would lock in ...
  A: Cindy, First, it may be helpful to see x-rays of your hips to rule out any arthritic conditions. ...
Adson's Test4/4/2007
  Q: My husband recently had this test and was found to not have a pulse in either wrist when his hands ...
  A: Sheila, If your husband has no symptoms in the arms/hands such as pain or numbness, and he only ...
Weak leg/knee4/4/2007
  Q: the muscles behind my left knee are very weak and I can feel that I don't have a strong footing when ...
  A: Sonia, Get an examination by a doctor that understands both knee orthopedics as well as ...
rotated pelvis3/31/2007
  Q: My 16 yr. old daughter has an unstable pelvis and it keeps rotating anteriorly on the left side. ...
  A: Wendy, First, ask the "physio" what, exactly, does he mean by "Unstable" or "Alignment"? There is ...
Chronic Lower Back Pain3/31/2007
  Q: Gillman I have a concern, I've been having lower back pain since I was 20, ever since I improperly ...
  A: Yes. You are correct in that your back condition is very common. There has been evidence of sudden ...
Neck pain3/27/2007
  Q: I have been suffering from moderate neck pain for the past 8 months. Recently the pain and ...
  A: Violet, First, you must tell your chiropractor about this. Post treatment soreness and other ...
protruding ribs on one side3/26/2007
  Q: .. i am a 36 year old male. i have been having back pain on my left (mid-upper) side in varying ...
  A: Gregg, First, it may be that your banging into your ribs left its mark as some muscular induration ...
adjust with just xray versus MRI3/17/2007
  Q: I went to a chiropractor and he did an X-ray..after seeing the X-ray i asked the chiropractor if he ...
  A: Shelly, It is not uncommon for DC's to treat a patient that has sciatic pain along with weakness in ...
Meralgia paresthetica3/16/2007
  Q: I am a self diagnosed meralgia paresthetica sufferer. My OD prescribed PT and an antinflammatory. ...
  A: David, Meralgia paresthetica is caused from frank compression of a nerve (lateral femoral cutaneous ...
Hip pain; SI Joint?3/13/2007
  Q: I have had pain in my left hip for 3 months. It is in the front, side and buttocks. I can push on ...
  A: Your "hip" area pain can be from bursitis, myofascitis in the lower back or gluteal musculature, or ...
full back question now posted3/7/2007
  Q: I was going to an interview in a nursing home. As I was walking down the hall a little lady began to ...
  A: Have you had any xrays? Did the doctor examine you and arrive at a presumed diagnosis? The burning ...
sciatica3/5/2007
  Q: I have sciatica all down my right leg that gets worse the more sport i do,my doctor says i should ...
  A: Matt, Chiropractic can be of great help for you. Some people get good results with joint ...
idiopathic scoliosis3/5/2007
  Q: Recently a chiropractor told a friend that he could completely correct her childhood, idiopathic ...
  A: Kathie, This is absolutely not true. Nobody can completely correct an idiopathic scoliosis. Tell ...
Neck issues/dizziness2/25/2007
  Q: I'm not sure if a chiropractor is the right person to talk to about this, but I'll ask! Since my ...
  A: First, your symptoms are quite common. Studies have been published that describe the persistence of ...
pressure in head,2/21/2007
  Q: I have been suffering from pressure near/around the temporal bone for about 6 months now.At times it ...
  A: This does sound like occipital neuritis. If the DC could not change it with soft tissue therapy and ...
Pain behind the knee2/20/2007
  Q: I have been suffering with pain behind my knees. It started out during my monthly cycle, but now it ...
  A: Your hand and knee are unrelated unless you have a more serious condition, e.g. multiple sclerosis ...
hurt arm2/13/2007
  Q: I think there is something wrong with my right arm,basically when I twiest my wrist I get a pain ...
  A: Mark, I am not sure what you are describing based on your text, e.g. I don't know what you mean by ...
curvature of the neck2/7/2007
  Q: I recently visited a chiro for a 'posture assessment' with no prior pain besides consistent knots ...
  A: Three times per week for three months is excessive care and unwarranted. Adjustments alone have ...
MRI Results What does this really mean?2/6/2007
  Q: First symptoms..pain in the lower back(right side) that gets worse when sitting down..periodic mild ...
  A: Doug, In essense, you have a protruding disc that is likely causing your right-sided back and lower ...
concerned about chiropractors2/1/2007
  Q: I have been seeing a chiropractor for the past week regarding a trapped nerve in my neck, I also ...
  A: Mark, What your physiotherapist said to you was so moronic that I can hardly believe he/she was ...
Undiagnosed Lower Back Pain1/29/2007
  Q: I am 28 not overweight and am always on the move when I am at work. The pain is always there in my ...
  A: Mark, There is too much I don't know, such as your past medical history, previous injuries, etc. ...
spine training1/29/2007
  Q: What does it mean when my chiropractor says he is training the spine?
  A: Anne, There's no official term called "spine training." Traditionally, and empirically, ...
Cervical Dystonia/Torticollis1/28/2007
  Q: I have had spasmodic torticollis for over 40 years. I receive botox injections from a movement ...
  A: Louise, I'm surprised that you never tried chiropractic joint manipulation in the past, or that ...
Neck Manipulations1/27/2007
  Q: I am aware that there are potential serious complications from chiropractic neck manipulations. ...
  A: Jane, If you have significant dizziness, nausea, and disabling headache following neck joint ...
Compression fx with humps1/25/2007
  Q: My father had an MRI to evaluate his now chronic back pain which his FORMER doctor only threw narcs ...
  A: It sounds like your father is having a tough time. 'Sorry to hear that. I don't know anything ...
heel pain1/19/2007
  Q: I am an 83 year old fairly active male. I walk about a mile and a half 1/2 in about 30 minutes ...
  A: Paul, It sounds like you have a textbook case of "Plantar Fascitis." This means that where the ...
neck pain1/17/2007
  Q: I have a spot of pain toward the base of my neck on the left side. The pain comes and goes - seems ...
  A: Sharon, the answer to your question is easy: change chiropractors! Twice per week for several ...
pain on left hand side of neck1/17/2007
  Q: I have a muscle/nerve type pain on the left had side of my neck that sometimes spreads to the back ...
  A: Mark, Yes, what you're describing is quite common and DC's are well suited to treat this. The DC ...
back1/10/2007
  Q: I just started taking treatments for my bad back. What I am taking is somewhat new to my area where ...
  A: Mike, It sounds like you are obtaining "decompression therapy." The only problem I have with this ...
chiropractic visits, how many, how long?1/10/2007
  Q: I've been going to a chiropractor for 2 years now. He xrayed my back and said I had degenerated disk ...
  A: Nancy, I think you've been duped by an unscrupulous, unethical charlatan. The chiropractic ...
Wrist pain1/5/2007
  Q: Although the pain subsided momentarily I have often had annoying pain in that wrist from the ...
  A: Bob, I would greatly advise getting an MRI of your wrist to rule out any fracture. Also, following ...
subluxated rib1/5/2007
  Q: In August after my last chemotherapy treatment (for breast cancer - left side), I spent several days ...
  A: Karen, Your question, I'm assuming, regards what to expect if you go to a chiropractor. DC's are ...
Back rib pain1/4/2007
  Q: I have had a lot of back problems since my car accidents. I recently was going up some stairs at ...
  A: What you are experiencing is not uncommon. If you search my previous Q/A's on this web site you ...
Neck,arms,back1/4/2007
  Q: When I go to see my chiropractor and something is bad with my spinal canal would the doctor tell me ...
  A: Debbie, This is a good question. The chiropractor is supposed to be a spine care specialist. We ...
pains in both my legs12/28/2006
  Q: about 4 months, i pulled a muscle in my left leg, went to the chiropractor a few times, felt better. ...
  A: Gaynell, Physical therapy is an option. However, it would be a good idea to find out more about ...
subluxated rib12/27/2006
  Q: I am a 41 year old male in pretty decent shape. Approximately 2-1/2 years ago, while playing catch ...
  A: Scott, After carefully reading your situation, what stands out the most is that your problems ...
Adjustments and curve in neck12/24/2006
  Q: I have 2 questions please. 1) Do regular adjustments alone that fix subluxations also help put ...
  A: There are 31 different definitions of "Subluxations" in the chiropractic realm, as opposed to one ...
lower back pain12/22/2006
  Q: i have lower back pain and i want to t know if i should go to the chiro? the pain has become very ...
  A: Richard, Most people really like their chiropractor. If your mother had a bad experience, please ...
upper back pain12/21/2006
  Q: I had back surgery in september,i had a spinal fusion my disc replaced and bone graft in my lumber ...
  A: Joanne, This was the easiest question anyone's ever asked. YES! Seriously, if you can find a ...
lower back pain12/12/2006
  Q: I have been suffering lower back pain for many years. already been to chiropractor. My question ...
  A: Sam, First, your back/hip symptoms should be diagnosed by the chiropractor. Assuming this has ...
severe mid-back rib pain12/10/2006
  Q: I'm young...only 22, I've been an athlete my whole life. a severe ankle sprain 3 months ago has ...
  A: Justin, It clearly sounds like a musculoskeletal problem involving the rib. These can be ...
current diagnosis12/7/2006
  Q: My husband has had Right arm pain at times, mostly numbness and tingling that radiates towards his ...
  A: Even I'm confused with all those big terms! No wonder you are! Let's see if I can help you. Odds ...
chiropractic education level12/6/2006
  Q: I'm going to start studying to become a chiropractor next year so I know I should know this but I ...
  A: I'll try to answer your questions, but I may not be 100% accurate. You would be best to email a ...
Unexplained Back Pain12/6/2006
  Q: I am a 30 year old male who has been dealing with chronic back pain for over two years now. At age ...
  A: Todd, 'Sorry you've had such difficulty with this puzzling condition. You've surely covered lots ...
Can my chiropractor back charge me?12/4/2006
  Q: Hope you can help me understand something. I signed an agreement with my chiropractor which stated ...
  A: Your question is a legal question, not a clinical one. Personally, I do not believe it is proper to ...
should i just accept this pain?12/3/2006
  Q: I injured myself on the job about 15 weeks ago and was in extreme pain. I decided on a D.C. over an ...
  A: Marie, I'm sorry you're having such difficulty. What you're experiencing is common, as evidenced ...
how can I test if my hip is out at home? please12/3/2006
  Q: I recently had some chiropractic work done(my hip and other stuff were out of alignment). I sat in ...
  A: Mike, I'll try to help you with this, but please understand that 1) people use the word "hip" and ...
Atlas disc will not stay aligned11/28/2006
  Q: It was determined 3 weeks ago that my atlas disc was misaligned. After 3 adjustments by my ...
  A: Angela, It is no wonder you are confused. The type of care you have been receiving is fringe and ...
Back Pain11/26/2006
  Q: I have had back and neck pain very painful for last 18mos. It seems I go from Dr to Dr. with no ...
  A: I am sorry to hear you are having such difficulties. After reading your MRI results it is no wonder ...
Myofascitis11/25/2006
  Q: I have had a flare up of myofascitis 3 times in the last 2 years. This last spell has lasted for 3 ...
  A: Jay, First, if your pain is truly caused by myofascial irritation, then obtain a myofascial ...
sciatic nerve11/21/2006
  Q: I went to the hospital about two weeks ago for pain in my buttock area that carried into my leg. I ...
  A: Sciatica is commonly diagnosed and treated by chiropractors. While MRI may be helpful in learning ...
Do I need a chiroprator - Who?11/19/2006
  Q: - I have been experiencing pain in my lower back and down my leg which I am guessing is sciatica or ...
  A: I'm very sorry you had a bad experience with your first chiropractic encounter. Sadly, yours was ...
My neck!11/18/2006
  Q: This is probably a really shallow and stupid question to be asking, but I would really like to ask ...
  A: This is not a stupid question at all. It's actually a good question. What you are describing to me ...
Hurts to lay flat11/17/2006
  Q: For as long as I can remember, it's been uncomfortable and often painful, to lay flat on my back. ...
  A: I'd like to answer your question accurately, but it is difficult to do since I don't have a lot of ...
Back Pain and Rib Abnormality11/16/2006
  Q: Dr. Gillman, I have had some back pain for quite some time just to the right of my spine in the ...
  A: Kent, This is a common problem that chiropractors deal with. Provided you didn't previously ...
Right Calf11/14/2006
  Q: I do bruse easily so I thought nothing of it but now I am experiencing a burning feeling in my leg ...
  A: If you bumped into something and that caused the bruise, then there is a chance you are simply ...
what is wrong with me11/10/2006
  Q: ok so i am 24 yrs old i spend most of my days on my feet walking around i used to be able to crack ...
  A: Jenn, First: Stop trying to crack your back !! While sloshing around your joints and causing them ...
Rib Fracture11/9/2006
  Q: Is it possible for a chiropractor to cause a rib fracture in a 2 month old?
  A: Cherria, Of course anything is possible. Is it likely? No. If a chiropractor is using standard and ...
lower back and leg11/7/2006
  Q: i have lower back and pain down the right side of my leg.How do i no that a chiropractic wont just ...
  A: Alison, How will you know? You will know just the same way you would if you asked any other ...
exersaucers and push along walkers for babies11/3/2006
  Q: i know chiropractics discourage the use of baby walkers because they force the baby into an erect ...
  A: Holly, This is an excellent question! Regarding the exersaucer, I do not see any problem. The ...
training10/23/2006
  Q: What kind/ how much training is needed to become a chiropractor.
  A: Timothy: typically 3 years of undergrad to meet requirements, though the better chiropractic ...
scoliosis( possibly)10/13/2006
  Q: I have been having back pain for about the last six months now. To start off with I did have a fall ...
  A: Erin, 'Sorry to hear you're in such pain, especially at age 23. Everyone can speculate about your ...
Numb feeling in leg10/11/2006
  Q: I have been having problems. From about my left knee down to my ankle I have a numbness on the ...
  A: "Paresthesia" in a leg is commonly associated with nerve irritation or compression from the lower ...
Length of Visit10/10/2006
  Q: I was recently in a car accident-rear-ended. I initially went to a medical center, but all they did ...
  A: Cheryl, Let me preface this response by stating that a chiropractic "adjustment" can consist of ...
slipping rib syndrome10/9/2006
  Q: My symptons have started awhile back when I was pregnant with my twins that turned two this past ...
  A: I'm sorry that you are having such difficulties. It sounds like your doctors have been following ...
Chiropractors10/5/2006
  Q: I was told by a chiropractor, after he took x-rays that I have a 100% loss of curve in my neck. ...
  A: I'm sure there must be something wrong with your translation about your neck curve, since 100% loss ...
posture9/25/2006
  Q: My question is, Can a chiropractor help me with my posture. I feel like I have always been a little ...
  A: Nilsa, In short: yes, but it depends on the situation. For some people, the posture they have is ...
Pain after visit9/23/2006
  Q: I have been visiting a chiropractor for 3 weeks now for muscle pain. He seems to think it is thyroid ...
  A: Cindy, Sudden pain in the sternum following a joint manipulation - when you are face down and the ...
Type of chiropractic test9/16/2006
  Q: What is the O'Donnohue test? I am a court reporter working on a criminal trial involving a ...
  A: Leann: This is from the text book: Illustrated Essentials in Orthopedic Physical Assessment, by ...
annular tear and facet arthropathy9/3/2006
  Q: ive had back problems for the past 25 years . finally had an mri done and was referred to a ...
  A: Diane, Based on the limited information you've provided, what I can tell you is that you're back ...
dislocated rib8/29/2006
  Q: Just recently i was told that i have a rib that "sometimes" gets dislocted from the spine, after ...
  A: Krystal, From what I'm gathering by your description, your conditon is quite common. Odds are that ...
Worse after DRX900 treatments8/27/2006
  Q: I am a 57 years old who had 19 treatments on the DRX. During the treatments, I started to get new ...
  A: I will attest that there are patients who tried and failed with different treatment modalities only ...
Frequency of Visits8/25/2006
  Q: I am 23 in pretty good health, but through working and traveling I have some lower back pain. I ...
  A: The chiropractor you consulted should be ashamed of him or herself for making this ridiculous ...
RIB CRACKING AT CARTLIDGE8/14/2006
  Q: Sir for months i have had a severe pain in the carlidge area on rib left side , the pain is sharp as ...
  A: Robert, I could use a bit more information. What was your doctor's diagnosis. Was it ...
X-Ray's8/9/2006
  Q: I was rearended by another car back in 4/2006. All this time that I have been seeing a Chiro. The ...
  A: Judy, First, there are about 32 different definitions of "Subluxation" according to chiropractors. ...
Nerve regeneration after knee surgery7/29/2006
  Q: My mom is 74 years old and has arthrogryposis. Eight days ago she had total knee replacement ...
  A: David, It sounds like your mom had peroneal nerve damage. It's only been eight days? First, you ...
Gastroparesis7/4/2006
  Q: I have gastroparesis (paralzyed stomach) caused by damage to the vagus nerve during surgery. I ...
  A: Wendy, First, I don't believe treatment of gastroparesis is a condition that chiropractors ...
tens unit6/24/2006
  Q: for chronic upper back pain, what would the "standard" settings on a tens unit be for the following: ...
  A: Petrina, Since TENS is a modality that has no therapeutic value, only palliative value, the ...
bone spur in the hip5/19/2006
  Q: Can a chiropractor help you if you have a small bone spur in your hip? If so what can he/she do to ...
  A: Joann, First, a bony spur does not go away. Also, the spur may not be the source of pain. Many ...
cervicobrachial syndrome and myobitis, myofibross or myalgia5/15/2006
  Q: I have been diagnosised with these and I don't know what they are, my chiropratic doctor sent this ...
  A: Brenda, Cerivobrachial "Syndrome" is a condition that really deserves more clarity. It is believed ...
back pain after delivery of my baby5/8/2006
  Q: I am looking for a little help/direction in regards to choosing a chiropractor. I delivered my ...
  A: Chiropractors traditionally have treated women pre and post partum with success. There is no valid ...
salary/wages5/2/2006
  Q: how much money does a chiropractor make
  A: Stacey, I'm searching my office for this statistic, and I cannot find it. However, the median ...
job descriptions5/2/2006
  Q: what do a chiropractor do?
  A: In brief, a chiropractor is a licensed doctor that provides diagnosis and treatment of ...
sudden hearing loss after adjustment4/30/2006
  Q: Have you ever heard of sudden hearing loss occuring the morning after a neck adjustment. This has ...
  A: Jean, You need to follow up with the MRI. You also should follow-through with your ENT physician ...

All Questions in This Category

Chiropractors

Scott F. Gillman, DC, DACBSP

Top Expert on this page