Chiropractors/Questions Answered by Expert Dr. Timothy K. Durnin

SubjectDate Asked
neck and shoulder pain5/31/2010
  Q: I have suffered with chronic neck and right shoulder pain for years. Im 36, and as far as I know ...
  A: Did you have a MRI of the neck? I need to know this since this should have been the first test ...
numbness headaches nerve pain7/31/2009
  Q: i had a adjustment to my neck 3 tears ago for 3 days i had a pain like a jolt of lightning up the ...
  A: If you had a TIA or stroke it is fairly easy to diagnose. I doubt the manipulation caused that since ...
neck shoulder pain numbness in hands and tips of toes3/31/2009
  Q: i need to know if this is all related migraine turns into neck pain,stiffness always left side ...
  A: Headaches are usually caused by nerve entrapment, I suspect yours is from a herniated cervical disc. ...
Schmorl's nodes2/4/2009
  Q: My 15yr old son recently got diagnoised with having Schmorl's nodes. From his MRI the findings were: ...
  A: I don't know why such an easy question was dumped in the question pool, I can only surmise you asked ...
excruciating pain2/3/2009
  Q: i've had this excrutiating pain which starts on one side, stops and starts on another side of my ...
  A: The symptoms you describe are not consistent with a biomechanical distortion such as a subluxated ...
L1-L2 disc protrusion2/2/2009
  Q: I suffered with lower back pain and sciatica for 7 weeks, i tried ibuprofen and 5mg valium some ...
  A: Find another Ortho, this guy is so far out of convention wisdom and standard practices that his ...
spinal stenosis10/26/2008
  Q: Two years ago, I was diagnosed, by way of an mri, with spinal stenosis of the lower back which is ...
  A: I saw this in the question pool, why it was not answered I don't know, but I will. Yes, Some DC's ...
MRI report - numbness in finger10/8/2008
  Q: 6 weeks ago I was working out (weight lifting shoulder exercise) and I felt a pain in the back of my ...
  A: The bottom of the MRI report says it all. You have multiple herniated and bulging discs throughout ...
damaged to cartilage10/6/2008
  Q: My chiro pushed too hard and admitted to damaging cartilage. I am on vicodin and flexiril. How long ...
  A: Depending on your age, the cartilage in the sternum can be fragile, not to mention the rib ...
Swelling in face neck, and burning down neck .10/4/2008
  Q: I was siting watching television one nigh, When I noticed a twitching in my face on the right side ...
  A: I strongly suggest you see a Chiropractor, we see these conditions all the time and get excellent ...
Cracking Sternum / Costochondritis10/1/2008
  Q: I am a 24 yr old male. About a year ago my chest would feel tight and by arching my back and ...
  A: These conditions are quite common and only require finding a Chiropractor to utilize therapeutic ...
left pinky asleep..2/1/2008
  Q: I started experiencing my left pinky tip falling asleep. It has been like that for about 3 or 4 days ...
  A: Yes I do, it's an ulnar neuropathy coming from nerve entrapment in the elbow (the part that is ...
hey1/26/2008
  Q: hey i got a question i had went to the doctors a month ago because i was having leg pain from the ...
  A: Pain distribution like this is more than likely caused by sciatica from a herniated or bulging disc ...
back pain1/25/2008
  Q: I am an athlete, bicyclist, age 58. I have had lower back pain for over a year. I had an xray ...
  A: Yes, you are waisting your money with this Chiropractor. The Gold standard and only proven way to ...
Chest Pain1/25/2008
  Q: Dr. Durnin, I have been experiencing chest pain in the center of my chest and both pecs deep and ...
  A: To know for sure if it is cardiac or muscle origin, take a tab of nitroglycerine when you have ...
Pain in right side of back1/16/2008
  Q: ..thanks for your time....I have a recurring problem on the right side of my back....I call it my ...
  A: I saw your question in the question pool and would like to give you some advice. First and foremost ...
pain in upper back1/8/2008
  Q: Durnin, After a month of strong coughing I started to feel pain on my right upper back deep, it ...
  A: Coughing for a month from what? Either way, you may have cracked some rib cartilage, pulled an ...
L1-L2 DISC HERNIATION12/13/2007
  Q: WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF L1-L2 DISC HERNIATION. HAVE HAD BACK SURGERY ON L5-S1. HAVE A L1-L2 DISC ...
  A: Usually abdominal pain and inguinal discomfort, flexion/distraction is the Gold Standard for ...
LOWER BACK PAIN12/2/2007
  Q: WHICH MATTRESS BRAND AND MODEL IS BEST FOR LOWER BACK PAIN?
  A: I personally would go with a Viscoelastic type mattress such as Temperpedic(sp?), but this can be ...
dizzy11/27/2007
  Q: why when i lay down flat on my back the room spins.i get dizzy then it stops after a couple of ...
  A: Because there is a good possibility you have loose bodies called otoliths in the ear or a viral ...
shoulder and cheast pain11/26/2007
  Q: my name is shauna and i have been wondering why i get this weird pain in my shoulder and chest. im ...
  A: First off I have to wonder what kind of parents would let their child run around with an overlapped ...
leg numbness11/25/2007
  Q: Durnin, I am 43 years old, weight 65 kg, height 159 cm, and mother of six kids. I started to have ...
  A: Sounds like a pinched nerve in the low back due to a disc herniation or nerve entrapment in the ...
Tough Mid back pain with consistent spasm near the back right rib cage10/23/2007
  Q: First of all thank you for your time. I hurt my back about 2 months ago, and am seeing a ...
  A: Although thoracic herniation is somewhat uncommon, it isn't rare. An flexion/distraction table is ...
Hip Pain10/22/2007
  Q: I have been through physical therapy, been to a Medical doctor, go to a chiopractor once a week, and ...
  A: Without knowing what tests were performed already it is hard to say. I would imagine an MRI was ...
sons back10/20/2007
  Q: my 16 yr was taken to the ped doctor, and given a referral to a orthorpedic surgeon. So far i have ...
  A: You need to find a DC that specializes is scoliosis. I am not that guy, I do everything else but ...
I AM IN PAIN10/19/2007
  Q: I have lower back pain, left side, but now it feels like it is a large region. It is constantly ...
  A: It sounds like a combination of an intercostal muscle pull and floating rib cartilage damage. Best ...
toe numbness10/19/2007
  Q: I am 43 years old, mother of 6 kids, height 159 cm, weight 66 kg.I feel my 3rd & 4rth toes of my ...
  A: I don't think it is sciatica, it does sound like an inter digital neuroma. This is a benign mass of ...
Can you help me figure this out?10/19/2007
  Q: First I would like to thank you in advance and to tell you I understand you can not diagnose me ...
  A: Heck No Diane! It is a sure way of permanently disabling you if your lucky and killing you at ...
Chiropractor or orthopedic10/18/2007
  Q: I am 39 years old, active and very healthy. About a year ago I had a bad fall down some bleacher ...
  A: Elecia, In this instance I don't feel either will be much help for the hip, this can definitely ...
twisted back, just trained or serious damage?10/17/2007
  Q: Last Saturday I was stretching in bed, could not get comfortable going to bed and was twisting my ...
  A: Most herniated and bulging discs all start out localized then spread, get worse and become ...
left arm pain10/12/2007
  Q: hope u can help. my dad as been complaining of a constant pain in his left arm for almost a week ...
  A: It sounds like a classic radial nerve entrapment in the neck, he needs towel decompression therapy ...
muscle pull?10/11/2007
  Q: I'm hoping you can help me figure out what my pain might be. I injured my back a few months ago(l1 ...
  A: The diagnosis is fairly easy given the complete history given by you. The doctor you saw just ...
Pinched nerve L5SI causing burning9/18/2007
  Q: After MRI, I have been diagnosed with stenosis and a bulging disk at L5-SI. Symptoms are "raw" ...
  A: No, Adjustments will do absolutely nothing for a herniated/bulging disc. The good news is that there ...
Fingers numb9/18/2007
  Q: My step dad is 70 yrs old and has just been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. He is retired ...
  A: Surgery is the last option and is rarely indicated since it can cause more problems then it solves. ...
joint pain9/16/2007
  Q: Hey! My neck hurts a lot. I'm 29. I have to crack it about gosh - 30 times a day. My jaw has TMJ on ...
  A: Neck popping is normal and won't cause problems. If there is pain when popping "cavitation" occurs ...
neck clicking & locking9/16/2007
  Q: I have noticed some noises when I turn my head. Sometimes I hear mild noise when I turn my head. ...
  A: This is absolutly normal, it is called cavitation. This is gas being released from the joint at end ...
Pregnancy complication question9/15/2007
  Q: I am working on a paper that is looking at previous abdominal surgical and/or musculoskeletal ...
  A: It certainly is a possibility; this all depends of course on the extent of the abdominal invasion, ...
Head Numbness9/15/2007
  Q: A few days ago while putting up my hair i noticed that the left side of my head was numb. It doesnt ...
  A: It might need follow-up if it persists, many times this is do to chemical irritation from hair ...
Wrist9/13/2007
  Q: I started to play lacrosse again. I know you use your wrist. But is there anyway to damage your ...
  A: Yes, you can damage any joint doing just about anything. That risk goes up dramatically with doing ...
Neck9/12/2007
  Q: "When i roll my head, i hear my neck cracking about 20 time in one roll.( like your knuckles ...
  A: This is normal and healthy, "if you pop your knuckles you'll get arthritis" is an old wives tale. It ...
muscle spasms9/6/2007
  Q: my 14 yr old daughter is a fastball pitcher. she practiced all winter at a pitching clinic,then in ...
  A: Find another doctor, when scoliosis is detected, you don't "sit" around and wait to do another ...
no use of arm9/6/2007
  Q: I was crushed shoulder to shoulder 6 months ago at work.I had a broken collarbone and brachial ...
  A: He couldn't miss it, the area would have swollen up and turned back and blue. Sounds like you need ...
Left Arm numbness in the fingers8/30/2007
  Q: I am 29 years old, and last night I woke up with a numbness in the left hand I also feel numbness in ...
  A: It sounds like the radial nerve is getting pinched, if the symptoms persist, get it checked out by a ...
numb thumb8/25/2007
  Q: Since August 20, 2007 the top link (with my nail in it) of my right thumb has been numb. I am in my ...
  A: A numb thumb usually has half of the index finger numb with it if it is a pinched nerve. Since only ...
HIO Method Chiropractic8/21/2007
  Q: Dr. Burnham in his 3/31/2004 answer re: Graston Tech mentioned HIO Method Chiropractic; however, he ...
  A: HIO is an outdated, dogmatic throw back of unscientific origins of Chiropractic. It means "Hole in ...
calf/foot pain and tingling8/21/2007
  Q: I was told a few months ago my sacroilliac joint was inflamed causing the calf/foot pain and ...
  A: Sorry I wasn't able to get back with you immediately but we have severe flooding here in the midwest ...
Chirporactor8/21/2007
  Q: Dr. Durnin, I called Dr. Costa to set up an appointment but it turns out he he has moved to South ...
excruciating leg pain8/20/2007
  Q: I have had severe leg pain for a little over a year now. I'm not exactly sure how it all started, ...
  A: I see no problems waiting, I think the Chiropractor could be wrong too. A MRI once your insurance ...
re; neck injury8/16/2007
  Q: I'm 31 year old female and was involed in a rear end rta. Fractured collarbone,back and neck ...
  A: This sort of thing comes up often because ER reads on plain film and MRI's are brief and rule out ...
toe numbness8/14/2007
  Q: i really hope you can help as I am worrying myself sick about my symptoms thinking I have MS or even ...
  A: The answer can be found simple enough with an MRI of the lumbar spine, add to that, an EMG. If they ...
Elbow8/12/2007
  Q: I have been suffering from tennis elbow on both arms for a few years now, I have had injections ...
  A: What you have now is chronic tendonitis, this is extremely difficult to get a handle on. If you went ...
low back8/10/2007
  Q: About a year ago I injured my back weightlifting. I was told by a chiropractor that I had subluxated ...
  A: It sounds simple enough, I would just see another DC. Obviously I can't examine you here so I can't ...
Numbness Mystery - Any Ideas?8/9/2007
  Q: You know how when you're carrying a bunch a heavy groceries, you just kinda grab them all at once ...
  A: The feeling will come back, you traumatized the peripheral nerve as well as created a hypoxic ...
Neck Pain8/9/2007
  Q: I woke up last night and got out of bed to turn of the air, I returned to bed and rolled over and ...
  A: I know you don't want to see a doctor but with upper extremity numbness in your history and sudden ...
Popping ribs.8/6/2007
  Q: My bottom left rib has been popping for a few years now, and about eight months ago it became ...
  A: Lower ribs have poor blood supply and heal very slow. Costectomy is very radical, dangerous, ...
Middle back pain after sleeping8/1/2007
  Q: To make a long story short, we replaced our bed with a firm mattress. Not long afterwards I started ...
  A: It took me the better part of 2 decades to find a mattress I could sleep comfortably on. Try ...
numbness in hand8/1/2007
  Q: Durnin, My dad told me his left finger tips felt numb starting from his pinky to his index fingure. ...
  A: Medical school is hard to get in, MCAT's and grades. Once you are in it is easy, only 4 years ...
Neck/Shoulder and Upper Back Pain7/31/2007
  Q: About 3 months back I had a feeling in my neck/shoulder area which is best described as a rubberband ...
  A: If you had an X-ray why hasn't your Chiropractor seen it? "A regular x-ray of the neck showed ...
left arm / finger numb and neck shulder pain7/31/2007
  Q: I got neck and shulder pain for a couple of years. i do yoga and pilate, had lots of massage trying ...
  A: It sounds like a pinched nerve in the neck, the radial nerve to be precise. I suspect the thumb and ...
femoral artery/nerve blockage??7/31/2007
  Q: Dr. Durnin, For the past 48 hours, I have been having a strange "thundering" feeling in the Inguinal ...
  A: Congratulations on being a D.C.! I am sure you will make the profession proud! As you stated in ...
rib pain7/29/2007
  Q: I was lifting weights one day and I felt a pop in my ribs. That side has been very tight and pretty ...
  A: Yes, you can expedite healing. Ice every hour for 15 minutes, rest the area 1 week and have a ...
Chronic Pain in Leg7/27/2007
  Q: I have been having chronic pain in my left leg only. It started a 4-5 years ago and then went away. ...
  A: If the symptoms started immediately after an epidural, then arachnoiditis must be ruled out. This is ...
Hip Pain7/26/2007
  Q: I have had hip pain for about 2 years now. It started when I was jumping rope one day. I've tried ...
  A: Without an examination to determine an actual hip problem from a referred pain issue, it is hard to ...
Middle Back Pain7/26/2007
  Q: I have been suffering from middle pain back on my right side which feels to be a couple inches right ...
  A: Yes, without question this is something that is effectively treated by Chiropractors. It should ...
herniated disk7/22/2007
  Q: I am 39 years old, work as a sonographer at a busy hospital and have been out of work now for 2 ...
  A: I am not sure what your ortho is talking about, 90% of my practice is herniated discs. What does he ...
numbness in foot and leg7/22/2007
  Q: I made a very slight tripping movement last week. On doing so, I had an excruciating pain in my ...
  A: It sounds like your physician is on the ball. I would recommend you take it easy, this includes ...
back pain7/22/2007
  Q: I have a bulging disk that causes me sporadic problems, but during the last month my middle back ...
  A: There is an effective and proven treatment for bulging discs that has been around for decades, it is ...
toes numb7/22/2007
  Q: I am experiencing numbness in 2 toes, but no back pain. Should I see a chiropractor? I just moved ...
  A: Having a couple numb toes usually means a pinched nerve a bit proximal(toward the head) to the ...
Sciatica7/21/2007
  Q: I am 42 years male,for the last 6 months i am having pain in my left leg and my back.The doctor said ...
  A: Continue doing what is working, don't do anything that forces you to strain. This will only push the ...
head pain following minor injury7/20/2007
  Q: I have since had a feeling of pressure at the top of my head. I recently started feeling numbness ...
  A: If you also have blurred vision I would get a CT of the head right away. If not, a MRI of the neck ...
back and nerve problems7/17/2007
  Q: I am writing because I am struggling with my back as of late. To give you some background ...
  A: Your doctor is probably right; you show all the orthopedic signs of a facet syndrome. This is easily ...
Muscular Issues7/12/2007
  Q: i have a tightened trapezius muscle thats been giving me grief my doctor advised advil, but it isnt ...
  A: A D.C. may or may not help, depends on the doctor. Most should be able to eliminate this issue, call ...
UBP/L kneeP/L calf P/L ankle N&P7/12/2007
  Q: WHAT IS IT ?????????????? I've had the on and off knee pain for a while as well as ankle pain and ...
  A: Sciatica would cause pain in the back of your thigh; since you don't have this, it can be safely ...
rib/chest pains7/10/2007
  Q: I slipped on a wet floor and fell 10 days ago landing hard on my left rib cage on a large plastic ...
  A: Ribs take forever to heal, especially the lower 6. I would give it another 2 weeks, if it still ...
understanding my MRI results7/9/2007
  Q: At C5-6, there is moderate left sided neural foraminal stenosis due to asymmetric uncovertebral ...
  A: I think some syntax may have been lost in translation, let me have the report word for word, if it's ...
Bulging Disc + Pinched Nerve7/9/2007
  Q: I "self-diagnosed" myself as having a pinched L5 nerve root because I felt I had all the symptoms - ...
  A: You are classic for HNP L5/S1 disc herniation, get an MRI to rule out piriformis spasm over the ...
Meralgia Paresthetica - Pregnant7/5/2007
  Q: I am 31 weeks pregnant with my second child and have suffered since 20 weeks with Merlagia ...
  A: There are many things you can do, I would take a warm moist towel and rap an ice pack in it. Put it ...
sciatic nerve7/3/2007
  Q: I have had what my Dr. said was "the piriformis muscle irritaing the sciatic nerve." It affects my ...
  A: You have a condition that is easiest to treat, all the therapist has to do is PNF and Low Volt ...
Tempur-pedic Mattress6/28/2007
  Q: I have had back problems for a while, but latley they seem to have gotten worse and I think it could ...
  A: It has been my experience that a tempur-pedic is the best mattress you can buy. I would like to own ...
Menstrual Cramp-LIKE back pain6/27/2007
  Q: I woke up the other morning with a pain in my left lower quadrant that felt like the onset of ...
  A: Your pain sounds classic for ovarian cyst rupture or endometriosis, putting heat on it may feel good ...
Left Arm pain and numbness in the fingers6/26/2007
  Q: I am 22 years old, and last night I woke up with a pain in the left arm just above the elbow, ...
  A: O.K., that helps, The most probable suspect is the radial nerve. This can get pinched in two areas, ...
neck related chest pain?6/23/2007
  Q: a month and a half ago i bruised my lung landing akward in the waer from a 20ft jump. i had a chest ...
  A: I think the neck and chest pain correlate directly with a neck injury given the history. My concern ...
Lifting injury6/18/2007
  Q: About 2 weeks ago I injured myself, I was moving a motorbike, it started to fall... and without ...
  A: A Chiropractor can not only help but cure the possible disc herniation with Flexion/Distraction. ...
Meralgia Paresthetica6/14/2007
  Q: I have been searching for an answer to the tingling and numbness that occurs in the top of my left ...
  A: Scott, You missed your calling! I see you have looked into this at depth, most GP doctors don't ...
Back Pain6/12/2007
  Q: I have lower (cramping)back pain which goes around and causes cramping in the front. The doctor and ...
  A: You shouldn't be bruised from adjustments. Are you on blood thinners like asprin, Coumadin, Heparin ...
Back Pain6/12/2007
  A: Evelyn, The road to recovery is never a straight line, you will always have ups and downs. The main ...
Back Pain6/11/2007
  A: Glad to hear at least one thing is better, your D.C. should know how to mechanically reduce a H.H. ...
Lower back burning sensation6/8/2007
  Q: I was wearing tight pant & also i did some abdomen exercises. Immeadiately after that i felt pain in ...
  A: It could be meralgia parasthetica or lateral femoral cutaneous nerve entrapment. Is your pain in ...
Back Pain6/1/2007
  A: I'M leaving for the weekend, when I get back I will research IC indepth. I do know what it is and ...
Pinched Nerve6/1/2007
  Q: About 4 months ago, I began getting some pain in my upper left arm to the point where sometimes I ...
  A: So far so good, you are doing everything correct, including the diagnosis. Your true calling should ...
scoliosis5/26/2007
  Q: I have mild scoliosis, and on the left side of my mid-spine, there's a muscle bulge sticking out. I ...
  A: Your answer has a relatively easy answer. When you laterally bend the spine, the articulations ...
twitching5/24/2007
  Q: I have this twitching on my thumb on my right hand for the past few days, ive also feel there is a ...
  A: it sounds like a radial nerve entrapment coming from your neck, it is very common and easy to fix. ...
Foot pain5/23/2007
  Q: I am a 30 year old lady who has been experiencing a lot of foot pain over the last few years. During ...
  A: That's a very tough question. I would have thought sciatica to, but with no buttock pain or low back ...
back pain5/23/2007
  Q: Durnin, I've had back pain for at least a week now. And I can attribute likely to lack of ...
  A: It sounds like you are doing everything in your power to destroy your spine. Most young people do, ...
Shoulder-Chest Pain5/20/2007
  Q: I am a 30 year old male that has been experiencing for several months on and off pain in my shoulder ...
  A: Without a more thorough history and physical exam, it is tough to say. From what you describe it ...
back pain5/20/2007
  Q: I was hoping you might be able to help me: I'm a senior in college and all the way back to being a ...
  A: Funny you should ask Jessica, D.C.'s two years ago launched a national campaign addressing this ...
24 clinics5/20/2007
  Q: How do start expanding you practices. At what level do you pull away from treat the patients ...
  A: It is proven and shown effective for PVD and pain, we are currently doing RCT's for smoking ...
Military neck??5/13/2007
  Q: My 19 year old daughter gets headaches almost EVERY day. She went to her GP, of course he just gave ...
  A: Find another Chiropractor, he sounds like an idiot. There is no such thing as "angel wings". There ...
hip treatments5/13/2007
  Q: now 40 year old male. i do have alot of back problems. i do know about lower crossed syndrome which ...
  A: I was unaware of the concaminate HNP at L5, this is easily treated with Flexion/Distraction or ...
Hip and lower back problems5/12/2007
  Q: I recently began seeing my current chiropractor about seven weeks ago. I had a full workup ...
  A: It sounds like if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all! The procedure is ...
injury5/10/2007
  Q: I posed a question the other day that I have been suffering with a sore neck and shoulder on my left ...
  A: This sounds like a common and classic problem with the rib articulation where it connects to the ...
Back Pain5/9/2007
  A: Your doctor should have explained this to you. When you hit your funny bone it refers pain into the ...
hip lower back5/9/2007
  Q: my doc told me my hips were locked this was last year.went to him got treatment for about six months ...
  A: Sounds like you have a few different things going on, all of which are probably not related. I would ...
neck injury5/7/2007
  Q: I dont think this is too serious but can you tell me what the problem is.I have been lifting weights ...
  A: I think what you are planning to do is the right thing. Getting it checked out by a physician like a ...
my back5/6/2007
  Q: I came here hoping you can give me some advice. I am 53 year old lady and i suffer from panic ...
  A: I am a little taken back that someone other than a physician is diagnosing your problem and treating ...
Hip5/3/2007
  Q: I am 21 years old and pretty healthy, but my right hip has been always been a problem for me. Some ...
  A: I suspect you may have some post-traumatic osteoarthritis setting up in your hip. The first thing I ...
lower back4/23/2007
  Q: I have had chronic lower back problems for several years. recently, I have loss some flexibility in ...
  A: From your description it sounds like a Psoas muscle contraction and is easily treated with ...

All Questions in This Category

Chiropractors

Dr. Timothy K. Durnin

Top Expert on this page