Chiropractors/Questions Answered by Expert Dr. Paul Newhart

SubjectDate Asked
0 degree cervical curve4/12/2012
  Q: I recently purchased and used a living social deal for a chiropractic consultation and adjustment. ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam and seeing the xrays in person, it is difficult to put a diagnosis ...
Painful Hips1/16/2012
  Q: Lately...when I've been sitting at my computer for a couple of hours my hips will start to hurt (one ...
  A: Without an actual hands exam, it is a little hard to diagnose. But, sitting for extended periods of ...
posture10/11/2011
  Q: Newhart My 15 year old has bad posture with lordosis and his head is positioned out too far in ...
  A: Without an actual exam, it is hard to determine the proper route. However, I can tell you...I have ...
backward spine8/3/2011
  Q: got in a car accident in 2006 have had very bad back pain since. I've been back and fourth to ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam, it is very difficult to diagnose; I think what your chiropractor ...
Wrist pain after a fall7/28/2011
  Q: I fell backwards about 2 years ago and landed on my outstretched hand and injured my wrist. An Xray ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam, it is difficult to diagnose. However, barring any fractures, it ...
Costochondritis7/21/2011
  Q: I am a healthy 21 year old female, 110 lb., 5’3”. Exactly a month ago I did some heavy breathing ...
  A: First, let me say good for you for being so pro-active with your condition. Costochondritis, to sum ...
whats the best way to treat lumbar and cervical compression5/23/2011
  Q: What's the best way to treat a lumbar and cervical neck compression?
  A: One of the best ways currently is decompression therapy. It should counteract the compression in ...
back pain from rowing5/16/2011
  Q: I am a 15 year old varsity rower female. I have recently been experiencing a lot of pain in my back ...
  A: It is hard to give an exact diagnosis without an actual exam, but from what you describe, you are ...
Spina bifida oculta and bilateral leg pain3/10/2011
  Q: Newhart, My new grandson was born with a sacral dimple. He seems to be okay but we are waiting for ...
  A: It is possible to be related (I also have SBO, and low back pain), but I have also found a few ...
difficulty walking upstairs or rising from a chair.1/30/2011
  Q: I have paresthetica meralgia, bilateral tennis elbow and bilateral golfers elbow with plantar ...
  A: Without a hands on exam, diagnosis is a little difficult. But, from the x ray findings :Spinal ...
Mid-spine pain1/9/2011
  Q: My mid-spine hurts whenever I do back bends in yoga. My upper and lower spine are totally fine and ...
  A: I would suggest having an evaluation by a chiropractor. If there is misalignment, it can cause a ...
headaches12/30/2010
  Q: I have been getting headaches for a while now. I am not sure which kinds they are (tension, ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam, it is hard to peg the exact cause. Many factors can cause the ...
Football Neck Injury12/13/2010
  Q: I was playing football on Saturday morning (11/12/2010). I went to head the ball, and when I landed ...
  A: You may have just misaligned a vertebrae, leading to muscle spasm, or it could also be something ...
mri report12/5/2010
  Q: ive been in alot of non stop pain,i had a mri done recently and was wondering if you can help me ...
  A: I will repost your question, with my answers in caps after each part: at l5-s1 there is a moderate ...
PINCHED NEVES I THINK11/29/2010
  Q: I had an accident at work on the 15th March. The accident or incideent occured when I was helping ...
  A: I would suggest you see a good chiropractor to assess this injury. Yes, there are tests to see if ...
rib/back pain10/28/2010
  Q: I am 53, basically healthy and active female that has been seeing the same chiropractor for ...
  A: Unfortunately, having a new table doesn't always equate in its' proper use. Technology for tables ...
Groin Strain9/29/2010
  Q: First a bit of background: I'm 22 and have played hockey all my life without any muscle strains. Feb ...
  A: Chiropractic can definitely help. Without an exam it is difficult to give you an exact cause, but, ...
my 91 year old mom w.stenosis9/27/2010
  Q: My 91 year old mother has spinal stenosis with very severe pain. She wakes up crying every morning ...
  A: Chiropractic can be very beneficial, and may help with her pain. You may also want to find a ...
My back9/15/2010
  Q: Lately I have been having neck pain. Its been going on now for a couple of weeks. Now its gone away. ...
  A: Without a hands on exam, it is difficult to pinpoint. But, from what you describe, you could have ...
carpal tunnel syndrome8/14/2010
  Q: I was diagnosed with CTS in both hands; had surgery on both. My left hand is still weak with ...
  A: Carpal tunnel syndrome can come on quick or slow, depending how your body responds to the repetitive ...
Lower back pain because of deadlifts7/24/2010
  Q: On thursday me and a friend were doing deadlifts( we were doin max reps i had a little trouble out ...
  A: Most likely, you caused a sprain/strain to the ligaments and muscles of the lumbar spine. I would ...
Severe Subluxation of C 1 Vertebra7/1/2010
  Q: I have been diagnosed a severe subluxation of my C 1 vertebra. I have known for a few years that I ...
  A: Maia, I never put a tag on how long something should take to straighten. Anyone that tells you they ...
left elbow and wrist7/1/2010
  Q: "I have severe pain in my left wrist.As I rotate my arm counter-clockwise something feels as if it ...
  A: It sounds as if mechanically there is a misalignment; when this lets go, you can feel the pain. I ...
dull shoulder pain6/10/2010
  Q: I have been doing aggressive physio for forward shoulder posture, which includes most the shoulder ...
  A: I apologize for the delay in response...I was away for the last week. There can be misalignment ...
Severe lower back pain.5/31/2010
  Q: I am having severe pain in my lower back and tailbone area. It started when I would stand for too ...
  A: There are many possibilities that could be happening...without a hands on exam it would be difficult ...
stomach muscle pain5/20/2010
  Q: A few days ago, my brother squeezed me very hard and we heard 2 pops. I thought it was my ribs but ...
  A: It is possible that he caused ribs to misalign. This would give pain when breathing. I would ...
Back Injuries5/2/2010
  Q: Would you happen to know the statistics on the number of people in the U.S. who have back problems ...
  A: There was a study done years ago, I'm not exactly sure by whom, that showed of MRI's done on people, ...
Question4/12/2010
  Q: I am a powerlifter and have been suffering from pain in the top of my forearm into my anterior ...
  A: Without and actual hands on exam, it is a little difficult to diagnose, but you probably have some ...
Back/Rib Crack!3/23/2010
  Q: 24 year-old female Background: A few years ago my legs got to a point where they were hurting ...
  A: I would say you may want to revisit the chiropractor. They would probably take xrays given what you ...
neck injury3/23/2010
  Q: About a year back, I was stretching my neck forward and to the right and caused some sort of damage. ...
  A: I would suggest you may want to check with a chiropractor on this one. Unfortunately, the ...
tingling and pain ramdomly with vibration sensation3/21/2010
  Q: I have been having weird vibration/buzzing sensation in body including behind the neck and legs. Few ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam, it would be very hard to pinpoint the cause, as many things can ...
knee tendinitis3/18/2010
  Q: Years ago I had developed knee tendonitis from a previous job that I did alot of driving. Had a ...
  A: Chances are the supplements are not causing the knee pain. It sounds as if there is a return of ...
Interview Questions3/17/2010
  Q: First off I would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to look at these ...
  A: I will answer each question in part: 1. A chiropractor deals with the alignment of the spine; ...
bone bruise 2 years on...3/15/2010
  Q: Hey Paul Nearly two years ago, May 2008, I slipped and fell down some stairs with my left knee ...
  A: You did not mention whether you had done any therapies to the knee. I would suggest finding a good ...
Bicycle Injury3/10/2010
  Q: I took a small spill on my bike a couple of days ago. I was turning left and from all the left over ...
  A: Your injury can range anywhere from just simple contusions all the way up to a tear. i wouldn't ...
strained right shoulder3/9/2010
  Q: I sprained my right shoulder (front and side deltoid) two days ago bench pressing. I didn't even ...
  A: I would venture to say, without an actual exam and from your description, that you did indeed strain ...
back neck3/8/2010
  Q: how bad is this and whats the best treatment?c4-c5 inter-vertebral discs shows a 3.5 mm bulge in ...
  A: I would suggest you find a practitioner of the McKenzie Method. This can help tremendously, and ...
Did my chiropractor act inappropriately?2/27/2010
  Q: I have been seeing a chiropractor for about five weeks, and I think he may have acted ...
  A: Short answer..it appears so. All measures should be used to maintain privacy; eg. gowns. I have ...
ulnar collateral nerve inflammation2/25/2010
  Q: He completed all his rehab and follow up appointments and has resumed competitive throwing. Recently ...
  A: Many things can cause the symptoms you are describing: entrapment of the nerve, scar tissue build ...
Neck Pain2/25/2010
  Q: Over the past few years, I have developed a habit of frequently popping my neck, as many people do. ...
  A: The short answer is yes....As a chiropractor, we are trained to do things correctly; we are not just ...
knee trouble2/21/2010
  Q: I recently read a response from one of the other doctors regarding knee trouble and when the knee ...
  A: The clicking could be a tear, or inflammation. I would suggest trying an anti inflammatory first, ...
sports injury?2/17/2010
  Q: My friend was playing tackle football (no pads) and hurt his collar bone after a tackle. Pressing a ...
  A: All of the different pains may very well be related. He most likely straind the joint between the ...
chiropractic care and connective tissue2/16/2010
  Q: I am hoping you can help me understand how chiropractic care relieves adhesions, or other ...
  A: The fascia is made up of fibers. When a force is introduced into it, the fibers can "jumble" and ...
Frequency of chiropractic visits2/13/2010
  Q: I had a consultation with a chiropractor who recommended 72 visits over 10 months. I am all for ...
  A: I am not a fan of putting a number on visits...this is usually a marketing ploy. Your neck may ...
clicking noise in neck/head and upper back pain2/7/2010
  Q: for the past 5 weeks i have been getting a clicking noise in the back of my neck.It is difficult to ...
  A: Tension in the muscles that run from the upper back to the head can change the mechanical motion of ...
Carpal tunnel surgery1/28/2010
  Q: I was diagnosed with bilateral carpal tunnel in 2005 and had the right hand operated in Aug 2009. ...
  A: Unfortunately, a good 85% of CTS surgeries are failed. Did you hae true carpal tunnel syndrome to ...
neck and spine12/31/2009
  Q: These are the impressions of my mri, please advise on what I should do to fix the problems: Any ...
  A: You have mild straightening of your cervical curve, most likely from muscle "splinting" to protect ...
Sleep number bed Flank Pain12/29/2009
  Q: Paul Newhart, I have been searching for answers to my flank pain and discovered this post below, ...
  A: When you saw your chiropractor, did he address any of the muscular component, or just adjust? Elec. ...
Back Pain caused by volleyball12/16/2009
  Q: Towards the end of my season in volleyball, I started experiencing back pains on the left side of my ...
  A: Overuse of muscles of one side or the other can cause strain, and possible misalignment. This may ...
scapula winging/long thoracic nerve palsy12/14/2009
  Q: I suffered and injury to my long thoracic nerve about 7 years ago in a car accident. I have had ...
  A: There is a treatment, low level laser therapy, that may be effective in helping this. The laser ...
painful wrist12/10/2009
  Q: I've recently developed what I believe to be tendonitis in my right wrist. The pain is completely ...
  A: From your description, it sounds as if you have a repetitive strain injury to the wrist (RSI). In ...
MRI INTERPERTATION11/25/2009
  Q: I fell about 4 months ago and im in horrible pain I got my MRI results I just don't understand them ...
  A: The easiest thing to do is to use your question, and answer accordingly, my answers underneath: ...
deltoid11/19/2009
  Q: i been going to the gym for the last two years and suddenly a month ago i dont remember what ...
  A: It sounds as if, from your description, you may have strained part of the rotator cuff. Pain can be ...
tailbone pain11/14/2009
  Q: I am 26 years old and having been having problems with my sciatic nerve forever. Any long trips in ...
  A: From what you describe, there is dysfunction in on of the SI joints. Ligaments are "locking", and ...
sterno-clavicular joint injury11/12/2009
  Q: i am facing a very big affair which is making me depressed. That is, my sterno-claviculare joint ...
  A: Special attention needs to be paid to the acromioclavicluar and sternoclavicular joints and the ...
knee injury11/8/2009
  Q: I'm having some need pain due to direct pressure, I don't think there is any serious damage but I'd ...
  A: It is quite possible only a deep bruise. If you haven't done so, Ice 20 min on and 20 off, repeating ...
Shoulder Injury10/29/2009
  Q: I was performing Dumbell Shoulder Press in the gym sitting on a bench. Since i was doing the seated ...
  A: You may have only caused a deep strain, probably to one of the smaller muscles of the shoulder ...
New Problem10/28/2009
  Q: I had an SI joint, side manipulation for my left SI joint. That SI joint has been hurting for ...
  A: It is not normal to have pain lasting for days after an adjustment. There may be soft tissue injury ...
Rib Cartilage10/25/2009
  Q: Almost 12 mths ago I was injured playing Rugby, I had an elbow hit my chest with great force. I ...
  A: Taking an elbow to the ribs may have caused misalignment to the rib, as well as a bruise. I would ...
drop foot10/22/2009
  Q: I am a 70 yr old male in good physical condition and was recently diagnosed with a ruptured disc at ...
  A: A good rehab program would help you regain much of the ability with the foot. A good PT or ...
dull pain10/18/2009
  Q: I have a dull pain in my left arm that goes in all different spots. It has been in my elbow, top of ...
  A: Firstly, I would check with your family physician to rule out a circulatory condition. As long as ...
Throasic pain-intercostal nerve damage10/17/2009
  Q: I was injured at work in 2004 from lifting heavy files.Been off work again - going on 2 years in ...
  A: Does you chiropractor use therapies (ultrasound, elec. stim, etc)? One in particular that works ...
middle/lower back pain surrounding spine10/14/2009
  Q: my name is Holly and I am 25 yrs. old. When I was a senior in H.S., I tripped over a root and fell ...
  A: It is quite possible that things have twisted again. I would suggest a chiropractor examine and ...
Neck Problems10/14/2009
  Q: I've been in 3 auto accidents which resulted in whiplash. I've been seeing a chiropractor for years ...
  A: First, I apologize for the lateness of my reply. Hectic time of the year for us!!! You mention ...
Low back/sciatic/gas/MRI10/14/2009
  Q: I am an uninsured self-employed massage therapist so I went straight to get an MRI. I have bulging ...
  A: The spinal decompression will help tremendously with this condition. As far as the compression ...
upper back pain, cracking, and hypermobility10/13/2009
  Q: i have hypermobility, two bulging disks,and scoliosis. i constantly have to crack my neck and back, ...
  A: Cracking your own spine, if forced and not done under a normal movement or stretch, can be harmful ...
numb fingers sore wrist10/12/2009
  Q: Newhart I have been a waitress for many years where we serve up to 60 people per wait person a ...
  A: You could have the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome. The method in which you describe serving; ...
rib pain10/9/2009
  Q: I have be getting a sharp pain under the right side of the floating rib, went to a phsio guy and he ...
  A: If an xray should reveal no fracture, what most likely is happening is that there is a misalignment ...
Uncomfort in back then clicking in chest10/8/2009
  Q: I was recently made redundant and so have been spending quite a large amount of time infront of my ...
  A: The prolonged twisted position while seated is probably putting pressure on the ribcage, leading to ...
Grinding sound in neck10/7/2009
  Q: I have had grinding noise in my neck when i move it from left to right for the last 4 months and ...
  A: Inflammation in the neck can cause the grinding sound. I would suggest having an evaluation by your ...
backache on using treadmill10/5/2009
  Q: In a last few days I realized that my stamina is really low and i get tired very easily. I am a ...
  A: Back pain after starting exercise can come from many sources. I would suggest an evaluation by a ...
SI Joint Manipulation10/4/2009
  Q: I am a thirty year old active woman. I would consider myself a healthy individual; one who eats ...
  A: If the chiropractor was very aggressive, he could have injured the joint...it is not common, but is ...
Neck, ear & sinus damage9/29/2009
  Q: I saw a chiropractor for a neckache & shoulder blade pain on my left side. He adjusted me & snapped ...
  A: If, and it is a big if, the adjustment caused the problems, then the MRI would let you know the ...
my MRI9/24/2009
  Q: 3 years ago I fell and broke my tailbone and recovered quite well. I was doing okay until 6 months ...
  A: I would suggest you find a practitioner of the McKenzie method. This method uses a series of tests ...
Iliotibial Tear - What Can My Chiropractor Do?9/18/2009
  Q: In June of this year I was boulder-hopping with a friend and 10 minutes after we quit and arrived ...
  A: If it is truly a tear at the origin of the IT band, it is out of the hands of a chiropractor. Your ...
Please help -Have I done somethng awful to my back?9/18/2009
  Q: Help! I know its totally my fault and I shouldn't of let him do it but I let some idiot crack my ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam it is a little difficult to diagnose. That being said...there is a ...
Shoulder injury9/15/2009
  Q: Newhart. I am am currently an under grad at a Chiropractic school and will be moving on to the D.C ...
  A: First, congratulations on your career choice!!! You will find it very rewarding when a patient ...
spondylolisthesis9/9/2009
  Q: My daughter is an 11 yr old gymnast complaining of back pain. Her ortho doc suspects ...
  A: Spondylolisthesis would show on an x ray. However, he may suspect "something' by ordering the bone ...
Knee Pain9/7/2009
  Q: I hurt my knee by hitting it on a gate while doing situps. My knee swelled up and I tried to ice it ...
  A: I would continue with icing; 20 minutes on and 20 off, repeating 4 times. I would then suggest you ...
Stiff and painfull ankle9/1/2009
  Q: I'm 17 years old and about a year ago I had surgery to correct cavovarus in my right foot. The ...
  A: A chiropractor can help from the aspect that, if there is a misalignment in the foot, they can ...
neck pain8/31/2009
  Q: About 2 months ago i started doing pilates but stopped when i started getting a stiffness in my ...
  A: Congratulations on your path to more total health!!1 The pain and creaking could be from spasm, ...
tilted pelvis8/30/2009
  Q: I had x-rays taken of my lower back that show a tilted pelvis. I am a 41 year old male and have ...
  A: Yes and no. To properly assess the degree of "unevenness", a leg length x-ray should be taken to ...
chiropractic adjustments/manipulation8/28/2009
  Q: Does the chiropractic code require that chiropractic adjustments/manipulations be a major portion of ...
  A: A chiropractors scope of practice starts with chiropractic, which is usually hands on adjusting or ...
Knee Pain8/28/2009
  Q: Newhart, For the past few years I have been having pain on the right side of my knee. It is not the ...
  A: I would suggest a chiropractor for a couple of reasons. You should be able to get in for a visit ...
Back pain/discomfort8/27/2009
  Q: I have been having an annoying discomfort in my lower right back for about 2 - 3 months. When I lay ...
  A: I would suggest a visit to a good chiropractor. They should be able to assess and treat this, as ...
Carpal Tunnel8/25/2009
  Q: I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel to start with but then they decided i have arthritis in my ...
  A: Carpal tunnel syndrome presents with pain, numbness and tingling to the index finger and half of the ...
is it back related?8/23/2009
  Q: I'm writing on behalf of my mother. I said that her problems MAY be back related. This is the ...
  A: It is quite possible to have a neck problem leading to dizziness and also to the numbness and ...
Gym injury - Sternum8/21/2009
  Q: Hey Dr. Paul, I dont know where else to turn, so I jumped on the internet for some answers. A few ...
  A: I would suggest you seek out a good chiropractor to help with this. In the process of lifting ...
Cartilage Injury8/20/2009
  Q: I was just wondering the general time It takes for Cartilage in the rib cage to heal. This past ...
  A: Cartilage can be very slow to heal, but there are some things you can do to speed it up. I would ...
Radiating Pain8/20/2009
  Q: I had torn the calf muscle in my right leg. After this was diagnosed I was sent to a Physical ...
  A: It sounds as if there is irritation to the sciatic nerve; that would explain the pain from buttocks ...
worst shoulder pain8/18/2009
  Q: my mother had a frozen shoulder a couple of weeks ago,she was in a lot of pain xrays were normal but ...
  A: I would definitely start with the ice. That will help decrease inflammation, and calm any spasm of ...
neck, chest and side pain8/8/2009
  Q: Dr Newhart, Thanks in advance for your consideration to answer my question. I am a 54 year old ...
  A: I would suggest an evaluation by a good chiropractor. Positioning yourself as you have over years ...
Dislocated rib 10?8/7/2009
  Q: Dr Newhart, I am absolutely desperate for help. I was diagnosed with Sherman’s disease at 15, and ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of my reply. I had no notifications of questions ...
collar bone bulbs8/7/2009
  Q: Paul, I believe I have an anterior collar bone impingement/dislocation...My right-side clavicle ...
arm pain8/6/2009
  Q: For the past year I have been experiencing severe pain in my bicep as well as cramping in my tricep. ...
When can I return to work?8/5/2009
  Q: My X-rays show that my bottom rib is broken due to a fall, I now can breath deep without much ...
  A: Unfortunately, rib injuries can be a bugger!!! They don't tape them anymore (too much risk of ...
hurt while stretching, help!8/5/2009
  Q: I was stretching and all of a sudden I have this pain on my left side, my shoulderblade, collarbone ...
  A: Muscles can spasm for any reason. I would first suggest you apply an ice pack. This will help ...
neck pain7/31/2009
  Q: Newhart: I have been doing weight lifting at the gym and I have noticed neck pain on the left side ...
  A: When you sleep in the position you describe, the muscles can put pressure on the nerves that lead to ...
pinky finger7/29/2009
  Q: my left pinky finger has been asleep for 2 days. it doesnt hurt or anything just annoying. i havent ...
  A: You can have pressure anywhere along the nerve from the neck to the pinky. I would suggest you have ...
Back Pain / Breathing Issues7/28/2009
  Q: Dr. Newhart, First off - I am not having a heart attack; was tested at the doctors office. I have ...
  A: It is quite possible to have misalignment in the T1-T4 areas affect heart and or breathing. ...
shoulder poping , pain ,burning sensation.7/22/2009
  Q: why my shoulder pops and hurts very much ,also I have noticed this burning sensation down my neck ...
  A: There can be many causes of popping/burning with the shoulder. Muscle tension and slight ...
Correcting spinal subluxation for hypoadrenia?7/21/2009
  Q: For around more than 2 years, I've been suffering from an unknown condition which I feel was due to ...
  A: Yes and no. Firstly, subluxation can and will affect the region the nerves of that level feed, as ...
Hamstring issues7/16/2009
  Q: I injured my hamstring about 2 and a half months ago and being so familiar with sports injuries I ...
  A: I would suggest a chiropractor, one that utilizes soft tissue techniques, for the following reasons: ...
neuropraxia7/15/2009
  Q: I am a surfski paddler and am currently suffering from a neuropraxia of the long thoracic nerve. I ...
  A: I would suggest having your chiro. use electrical stimulation on the long thoracic nerve. EMS can ...
Ongoing pain....NO resolution7/12/2009
  Q: I'm wondering if I have to drop dead for some doctors to take my medical concerns seriously. I ...
  A: Firstly, I understand your frustration...some doctors do not :listen". What may have happened and ...
Numbness from exercising7/9/2009
  Q: I seem to be more sensitive in regards to nerves than usual. I can't do pullovers lying on a bench ...
  A: Before you see a specialist, who may run tests and ultimately surgery, I would suggest a ...
nerve damage to the elbow7/9/2009
  Q: i got in a car accident on june 23 i felt numbines in my pinky ring and my ring finger and pin and ...
  A: If you were the driver, the act of of gripping the steering wheel during the accident could have ...
Shoulder pain and numbness7/7/2009
  Q: For 2 weeks now I have been getting sudden pains in my left shoulder that feels like someone has ...
  A: I would firstly check with your family doctor and make sure there are no heart issues. As long as ...
Spine Question7/6/2009
  Q: Newhart, I wanted to seek your opinion on something. I'm 25, in shape, active, all that good stuff. ...
  A: Firstly, I am sorry your experience with chiropractic was not optimal. It sounds as if there is ...
Degenerative disc disease questions6/29/2009
  Q: I recently read a post on here, that was almost identical to my conditions. i started suffering from ...
  A: I would suggest a chiropractor to start. If there is pinching on the nerve, it can lead to the ...
lower back pain6/29/2009
  Q: I started having pain in my lower back by the spine(top buttock)right side. I also had a little hard ...
  A: Having the redness, unless it is red from touching or rubbing the area, I would say see your family ...
rib displacement/crack6/28/2009
  Q: I woke up this morning and turned over and I felt and heard my ribs crack or cave in. Can you tell ...
  A: It is possible that you misaligned a rib with the rolling over motion. If conditions are just ...
left glute/groin pain6/23/2009
  Q: A guy called James expressed the symptoms below which perfectly describes my symptoms. Is there any ...
  A: Sciatica typically runs down the leg, and can run to the foot. Pain into the groin, we have found ...
question re days when not receiving treatment6/19/2009
  Q: I am currently undergoing treatment from a local chiroprator and am getting adjustments 3 times/week ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of my reply. I have had a computer down. I would ...
Possible pinched nerve in neck6/17/2009
  Q: I have a problem with my elbow. At first I thought it was golfers elbow, symptoms are the same, but ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of my reply. I have had a computer down. It is ...
shoulder problem6/17/2009
  Q: I'm a 63 year-old man in excellent health and am physically fit, and I work at taking care of ...
  A: It is a little hard to diagnose without a hands on exam, but i would venture a guess that your ...
Middle back pain from sleeping/sciatica6/17/2009
  Q: 1. I have middle back pain across the entire back that would at times wake me up during the night. ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam, it is difficult to diagnose. But, judging from your description, I ...
spina bifida occulta & ribs popping out6/16/2009
  Q: My son age 15 has recently discovered that he has spina bifida occulta (bottom of his spine). He's ...
  A: You may want to look at strengthening his core muscles. The Psoas, being one of them, hooks to the ...
Numb Fingers!6/15/2009
  Q: My right hand...thimb, index and middle fingers are numb at all times. mostly the first half of the ...
  A: Without a hands on exam, it is difficult to diagnose, but it sounds as if there is some type of ...
5,7,9 th cranial nerves6/15/2009
  Q: Newhart My mother in law is 61, she has been always obese. She is not diabetic and her blood ...
  A: The nerves involved, V-Trigeminal, VII-Facial, and IX-Glossopharyngeal, are involved in both sensory ...
strange sound while twisting upper body6/13/2009
  Q: My neck has made a grinding sound as I turn it back and forth for several years. Now I notice a ...
  A: I would firstly have it checked by a family doctor first. Having a change in sounds while breathing ...
neck fusion6/12/2009
  Q: had neck fusion c3-7 3 months ago now i am having problems with the left arm i can not raise the arm ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam, it is a little difficult to say for sure. But, I would venture a ...
Visible protruding rib – rib-tip syndrome & treatment?6/11/2009
  Q: I’m 21, 168cm and 50kg with a huge problem that has, quite literally, popped up. At the start of ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam it is a little difficult to diagnose. But, if it is rib-tip ...
Broken Ribs6/11/2009
  Q: I am writing in regard to my friend. On vacation he broken 3 ribs(2 upper ribs and 1 lower down). ...
  A: Ribs need time to heal. The grinding in the ribs could mean they are rubbing and you could hear it. ...
Winging scapula6/10/2009
  Q: I was involved in a vehicle accident on 5/09. I injurd my shoulder as well as lower back,hip and ...
  A: Without an examination it would be difficult to diagnose. I would suggest you find a chiropractor ...
4 yr old tendons popping over bone6/10/2009
  Q: My 4 year old son can pop his tendon over his ankle bone and his toes pop if he moves his foot. I ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam, it would be difficult to peg. But, I think I might want a second ...
neck adjustments6/9/2009
  Q: I have started going to a chiropractor about my shoulder pains and we have set up a treatment plain. ...
  A: Without a hands on exam, it is a little difficult to diagnose, but I would say you are getting some ...
back pain6/6/2009
  Q: my problem is in my left arm, shoulder & neck, also my left leg, they all ache to high heaven, so ...
  A: Without an exam it is difficult to give a 100% accurate diagnosis, but I would suggest you see a ...
pain after lifting weights6/5/2009
  Q: i went to the gym for the first time with a friend i was lifting weighs. i was pushed by my friend ...
  A: Welcome to the world of working out!!! What you probably are experiencing is strain from over ...
Cervical & Lumbar Subluxations6/5/2009
  Q: I have been having neck pain with lots of headaches and some lower back pain that hurts when I bend ...
  A: I am not one to put a number on the number of visits that it takes to make corrections; it could ...
Sports injury6/3/2009
  Q: I did Martial Arts for a number of years, but while I was stretching I felt a pop on the inside of ...
  A: Without an actual hands on, it is difficult to diagnose. But, you could have heard the actual ...
rotator cuff tendonitis6/1/2009
  Q: I have been cutting and styling hair for ten years now, about two weeks ago while I was working my ...
  A: Without an actual hands on exam it is hard to tell exactly, but I would definitely say that the ...
breast massage5/31/2009
  Q: My chiropractor wants to massage my breasts for pain in my wrists and arms. Is there a scientific ...
  A: There are muscles in the chest (pectorals) that MAY be inflamed (they hook to the front of the ...
numbness in neck5/30/2009
  Q: For 4 years i have had numbness in my neck when i sat on a hard chair, it is relieved when i get up ...
  A: Without an examination, it is hard to diagnose, but is sounds as if there is some undue tension, ...
triceps5/23/2009
  Q: I had pained from the triceps at the back of the elbow, and rest for two months, then doing the ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the tardiness of my reply: I was away from all technology for ...
Pinched Nerve5/22/2009
  Q: Last year, I used a blood pressure machine at the store and the cuff was very stiff- unlike the ones ...
Upper jaw5/22/2009
  Q: I have an 8 month old who has been diagnosed with a high arched palate of the mouth. Do you think ...
ct scan help5/21/2009
  Q: i was recently in a bad car wreck and had 3 fractured ribs, 1 collapsed lung, 1 fractured clavical ...
  A: It wounds as if, when the spine was developing, an area of C1 didn't turn completely to bone, ...
patella femoral pain5/21/2009
  Q: I am 18 years old and have had knee pain for the last two years. I went from being a very active ...
  A: I am not sure how long the acupuncture should take to work, but I have seen it happen within 3-5 ...
Back pain between shoulder blades5/18/2009
  Q: I'm a 37 year old male and I was on the trampoline with my kids a few days ago and at one point ...
  A: without a proper examination, it is hard to say exactly what is happening. However, you may have ...
Pain on scalp (child)5/14/2009
  Q: .. My son is 10-years-old. He suffers from cluster tension headaches and does see a chiropractor ...
  A: The muscle tightness you describe is consistent with cluster type headaches. Myofascial release of ...
Hip Injury5/12/2009
  Q: In August I was working a job which required heavy lifting, I one day had so much pain in my left ...
  A: I would start with a stretch of the Psoas/Iliacus muscles. Both, when in spasm, can give you the ...
Knee Clicking5/9/2009
  Q: Newhart, About a month ago after jogging I noticed that a loud clicking in my left knee occurred ...
  A: Your knee can click for many reasons; without a hands on exam it is difficult to diagnose. However, ...
spina bifida occulta and leg pain5/6/2009
  Q: I am 43 years old and have known for most of my life that I have SBO which is complicated by bony ...
  A: I would definitely go to your doctor first and have any problems ruled out, and make sure it is not ...
Irritated Ulnar Nerve5/6/2009
  Q: I am a very active person...I have always played sports and/or lifted weights at the gym and I am ...
  A: Without a proper exam it would be a little difficult to diagnose, but it sounds as if there is a ...
Cracking noises in bones4/28/2009
  Q: I'm 61. I noticed about 12 months ago that I could hear my bones sort of rubbing together as I ...
  A: I would then suggest as a first step a visit to your family doctor to have any medical issues ruled ...
pain and chiropractic4/25/2009
  Q: I have a large herniation of a disc at C6, C7 that herniated in the direction of where my nerve ...
  A: Either the adjustment or the trigger point therapy is aggravating the site temporarily, but I don't ...
Neck problems4/22/2009
  Q: i have had problems with my neck for a number of years. i have been to various chiropractors in the ...
  A: I would check with either a chiropractor or physical therapist. This seems, from your description ...
Neck Injury4/22/2009
  Q: .. About two months back I gave myself a pretty nasty neck injury. I was stretching and apparently ...
  A: see what the MRI reveals; if it is negative, I would have no fear in returning to your working out. ...
severe leg cramp & muscle pain4/21/2009
  Q: I initially had knee pain, my GP said i had a small build up of fluid but with rest would disperse. ...
  A: It sounds as if there is a pinch in one of the nerves running down the leg, whether in the spine, or ...
Please Help!4/20/2009
  Q: Newhart! Maybe you can help me out. I am 5'11 and 130lbs. I am a 39 yr old healthy female. A few ...
  A: I would suggest checking with a good chiropractor that also focuses on soft tissue injuries. From ...
twisted back4/18/2009
  Q: A couple of days ago I decided to go to the gym and exercise my back because I haven't done that in ...
  A: I would suggest you find a chiropractor that deals with soft tissue as well as spinal alignment. ...
muscle movement4/18/2009
  Q: I was involved in a severe car accident in 1975, and have been through many spinal alignments over ...
  A: Absolutely!!! If you have pinching to the nerves to the hand, you will not only have a sensory ...
clicking in neck after ankle injury4/10/2009
  Q: a few days ago a co-worker crushed the back of my ankle and Achilles tendon with a row of 30 carts. ...
  A: I would suggest you see a good chiropractor. The clicking may have been from jarring to your body, ...
Twisted Sacrum4/8/2009
  Q: I have had a long running issue that I would like some advice about. I have had numbness down my ...
  A: Tension in the supporting muscles and ligaments of the pelvis as a whole can cause recurrence of ...
Loss of Neck Curve4/8/2009
  Q: I recently took my 15 year old daughter complaining of occasional lower back pain to a Maximized ...
  A: First, congratulations on chiropractic care!!! Now....let me tell you where i have issues. First, ...
Spinal stiffness and pain during hyperextensions4/8/2009
  Q: I am a 23 yr. old female.I have been practicing yoga since a year and a half, 3 times a week.Even ...
  A: I would suggest you see a chiropractor to make sure there are no mechanical hindrances to your ...
Right Arm pain, forearm pain, hands tingle and first two fingers go numb4/6/2009
  Q: I recently developed a condition where my Right arm will ache at the bicep and soemtimes forearm. At ...
  A: There are a few approaches, depending on what caused it. Electrical stimulation, ultrasound, ...
numb fingers4/5/2009
  Q: i have recently been doing lots of work with a shovel and three fingers on my left hand started to ...
  A: It is possible that you have an overuse injury between the wrist and the shoulder, causing a pinch ...
Unable to move after adjustement - help!!4/4/2009
  Q: I started having pain between my shoulders decided to see a chiropractor. He took x-rays and said ...
  A: It is not normal to have excruciating pain after an adjustment. Occasionally there can be some ...
Muscle Strain in forearm4/3/2009
  Q: We worked on our irrigation system last Sunday and I was the one digging ditches (about 250 feet ...
  A: Following the ice/ibuprofen path, I would give it a few days to calm down, which it should. Chances ...
relief4/3/2009
  Q: In 2002 I woke up from sleeping on a horrible bed in a cabin and my left leg was numb from my waist ...
  A: Does your chiropractor do any therapies on you? They may want to try electrical stimulation on the ...
Back pain & blood in the feces3/29/2009
  Q: I have recently been experiencing chronic lower back pain (lower lumbar region, mostly left side) ...
  A: I would suggest first and foremost, see your family physician immediately. Blood in the feces is ...
L5/S13/28/2009
  Q: Where do I go to avoid the hospital which is where I may be heading. I can get no sense out of ...
  A: You may need a visit to an orthopedist. Dysplastic growth only means it is not normal. The ...
middle back tweak3/26/2009
  Q: I've had a mild pain in my middle back for just a few years now (I'm 20). I've been to a ...
  A: You might want to try using a Swiss Ball for stretching and strengthening. According to your ...
elbow chronic pain3/23/2009
  Q: I need advice here and hope you may help. I have chronic pain (tennis elbow) from my right elbow ...
  A: It sounds as if there is a repetitive motion injury to the elbow (lateral epicondylitis). It can be ...
Two Questions3/16/2009
  Q: Newhart, I am a sixteen year old athletic teen. I am in very good shape and am very active. I am ...
  A: I don not feel you are being a hypochondriac with these 2 questions. You may have caused a good ...
my upper body3/16/2009
  Q: I feel like the upper portion of my body has twisted. my shirts don't fit comfortably and when i ...
  A: I would suggest you see a good chiropractor and have a set of x rays. If there is anything ...
ulnar nerve3/13/2009
  Q: For the past year or two I have been experiencing a pain down the lenght of my left arm, between the ...
  A: I would suggest you see a chiropractor that specializes in sports injuries. You may have a ...
back stiff3/13/2009
  Q: Hey i don't know if this is your area of expertise but i usually pump weights and push my self at ...
  A: Yes, it is bad to just crack your back in the way you describe. Although you may hear a "crack" ...
Right Elbow And Upper Arm pain3/12/2009
  Q: I fell about 6 months ago MRI showed nothing in my neck I continue to have elbow pain and upper arm ...
  A: You may have misalignment at the elbow joint, causing pressure leading to your pain and weakness ...
neck ache not responding to chiropractic treatment.. In need of reassurance and advice please3/11/2009
  Q: I have had neck ache and discomfort for the last 6 months now, it is most problematic when i am ...
  A: Typically, if you have no change after 8-10 visits, it is time to reassess your treatment plan, or ...
Sternum Pain3/10/2009
  Q: I have pain in my chest spefically on my sternum when ever I apply pressure directly to the upper ...
  A: The sternum should follow the curve of the chest. If you have swelling like you describe, I would ...
studying chiropracting3/10/2009
  Q: I am currently studying in my last year of medical science and have decided to complete another ...
  A: Congratulations on choosing the field of chiropractic. since your question is broken into parts, it ...
Arm pain2/28/2009
  Q: I have a question concerning my arm. I had a pretty nasty fall in a parking lot where I slipped on ...
  A: I would suggest you go back to your doctor. You may have caused a sprain/strain to the right ...
Numbess of end of tongue2/28/2009
  Q: I have a numbness on the end of my tongue but it also gives off a burning affect and gets worse when ...
  A: I would suggest you see your family doctor for this ASAP, with possible referral to a specialist. ...
Middel Deltoid Pain (please and thanks 4ur answer2/27/2009
  Q: For a long time now I have a shoulder pain, Its on my left shoulder, and it feels like its beneath ...
  A: An anti inflammatory medicine can help with the inflammation, as well as icing the area. You can ...
Back/ Wind knocked out2/24/2009
  Q: Dr. Newhart, Thank-you for taking the time to read and analyze my situation. It is 10:33 PM now. ...
  A: Falling flat on your back may have caused misalignment, leading to dysfunction of the muscles of the ...
Knee pain from mattress?2/23/2009
  Q: For about a month now my left knee has been in Chronic pain. I am 6'3, 250 pounds. I have never ...
  A: Your knee pain may be related to your back. If you are in primarily a desk job, there are a pair of ...
Elbow Problem - PLEASE HELP!!!!!!2/22/2009
  Q: I recently hit my elbow against the weightlifting bar pretty hard. I've seen a doctor and told me ...
  A: I would suggest seeing a chiropractor to rule out misalignment. The injury you describe could have ...
numbnessleft hand bottom two fingers2/16/2009
  Q: one morning felt tingle in hand like it was going asleep.by that evening it was numb next morn i had ...
  A: As long as there are no medical issues, I would suggest a good chiropractor to assess the condition. ...
left arm pain and numbness2/13/2009
  Q: I have pain in my left arm and numbness in the tips of my fingers especially in the tip of my ...
  A: It sounds as if there is a pinch in one of the nerves of the brachial plexus (nerves that go into ...
Possible outcome for pinched nerve?2/12/2009
  Q: I have numbness in all four tips of my left hand fingers. I had x rays done and my chiro didn't see ...
  A: It sounds as if you are on the right track. The movements you describe as aggravating would suggest ...
non impact rib fracture2/5/2009
  Q: 1 am 44yrs old. i surfed regularly in my youth for around 12 years, but havent surfed for the past ...
  A: I would suggest you see your primary physician to rule out any medical problems that could be ...
Advice2/4/2009
  Q: Should I be in Kinesiology or Biological Sciences for my major if I want to become a chiropractor? ...
  A: You would want to focus you major in the biological sciences. Your course of study in chiropractic ...
Burning in shoulder2/3/2009
  Q: Ever since I could remember, I have had this burning sensation located in the back part of my ...
  A: I would suggest seeing your family physician to rule out any problems. If there are none, I would ...
Extreme Back Pain During Crunches1/31/2009
  Q: I am a 19 year old guy who is 6'1 and 170 pounds. Since middle school my mid and lower back has ...
  A: Having pain doing crunches would definitely not be normal. Have you tried doing crunches while ...
Extreme Leg Pain and Numbness in left leg.1/31/2009
  Q: I have had episodes at night where I am awaken by a pdain in my left thigh that feels like I have ...
  A: Pain such as this is most likely from nerve irritation. Since you have had x-rays, I would assume ...
Phantom Pain1/30/2009
  Q: Are Chiropractors now teaching that when pain doesn't go away that it's phantom pain? Just getting ...
  A: As far as I know, no. Phantom pain, when used in its' correct context, deals with pain after the ...
Lowerback pain1/29/2009
  Q: I am 26 years old, My occupation is to continuously work on computer (sitting)At times I have ...
  A: Your most likely cause of pain is not a slipped disc, but of a spasm of the Psoas and Iliacus ...
Lower Back stiffness1/26/2009
  Q: 7 days ago my back was feeling really stiff, when i did chin-ups it started to hurt. I did do foam ...
  A: Muscular tightness can and will affect the joints of the body. You mention that you have been ...
neck, ribs, back pain1/26/2009
  Q: I was in a motocross accident 2 yrs ago. i came down on the front tire of the bike and my shoulders ...
  A: One of the methods we use in our office is a type of myofascial release. Fascia can "bind" ...
numbness in pinkie and ring finger1/22/2009
  Q: For the past two weeks I have had worsening numbness and tingling in my left pinkie and ring finger. ...
  A: It is possible that the bra strap is causing pressure in the shoulders, leading to pinching into the ...
neck problems...1/22/2009
  Q: I've gone to two different chiropractors in my life- both times for persistent headaches. A good ...
  A: I would suggest finding a chiropractor that uses the Activator method. This technique is extremely ...
Sternum Popping1/16/2009
  Q: I've had a tightness in my chest for a couple of years now, and when it gets to be painful to ...
  A: I would suggest seeking out a good chiropractor. It sounds as if there may be misalignment of one ...
Wrist pain1/12/2009
  Q: A couple of weeks ago I woke up with a pain in my thumb. When I moved it, I could feel it clicking ...
  A: It could be a variety of things: most like is a repetitive motion injury to the thumb. These come ...
neck trauma and arm pain1/5/2009
  Q: I am in dental school and I was rear-ended pretty bad on the highway in November. I just saw a ...
  A: I would have to disagree with the PT. Given the problems you describe, I would highly recommend you ...
Neck pain1/4/2009
  Q: I hope you can help me with this issue. Twelve months ago I was involved in a car accident, in which ...
  A: If nothing was done as far as treatment, you could have a hyperflexion/hyperextension (whiplash) ...
outer upper arm pain1/3/2009
  Q: Several months ago I fell down a portion of our stairs. I suffered upper arm pain....painful to the ...
  A: I would suggest you see a chiropractor that also specializes in soft tissue injuries. Trying to ...
arm pain12/24/2008
  Q: I wake up during the nighttime with excruciating pain in my right arm and hand. The pain starts at ...
  A: It sounds as if there may be nerve impingement near the shoulder/neck, most likely from ...
upper back/scapula question12/20/2008
  Q: I am 36 years old , a yoga instructor and a massage therapy student and I am having this pain in my ...
  A: It is possible to have a misaligned scapula, coupled with spasm of the serratus, trapezius, ...
fractured Rib?12/8/2008
  Q: Can an chiropractor accidentally crack or fracture a rib from adjusting. I took my daughter to the ...
  A: It is entirely possible that a fracture could have occurred, but it is very uncommon. If the ...
neck and upper back pain12/2/2008
  Q: Paul: Four months ago I started having a pain on my neck and muscles between the shoulder blades. ...
  A: Boiled down, your x-ray says you have degenerative disk disease. Your curvature in the neck is ...
Sudden calf muscle weakness12/2/2008
  Q: I am a 35 year old male--a runner for many years now, and an all-around sports lover/player. In ...
  A: I would have a study done for DVT, to make sure there is no problem with blood flow in the calves. ...
mid-back discomfort11/29/2008
  Q: I injured my back about a month ago during a fall while I was intoxicated. I hit my spine pretty ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of my reply. The holiday has me backed up!!! The ...
back pain popping11/27/2008
  Q: My upper back vertebrae are CONSTANTLY popping. It's really painful. If I just arch my back a ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of my reply. The holiday has me backed up!!! You ...
Pelvic Tilt11/26/2008
  Q: I have come across a lot of information where the tilt causes one hip to be higher than the other, ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of my reply. The holiday has me backed up!!! This ...
pain in the chest!!11/25/2008
  Q: i was at the gym this morning and was working out and at one point i lifted weight incorrectly to ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of my reply. The holiday has me backed up!!!It ...
pain from wrist till elbow11/24/2008
  Q: doc my wife is 24 she is having pain in her right hand.the pain is from the upper wrist till the ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of my reply. The holiday has me backed up!!! Does ...
Neck/Head Pain Right at the beginning of lifitng weights11/20/2008
  Q: I have been developing some pretty severe neck and head pain right when I start to lift weights; no ...
  A: It could be a number of thing, and the first thing I would recommend, is to see your family ...
Chronic lower back pain at age 25!11/14/2008
  Q: I need help! I am young and active and my back pain is ruining my life! Growing up I noticed that my ...
  A: I would suggest looking into two area: A spasm of the Psoas/Iliacus muscles, causing Psoas ...
Degenerative disc disease & congential spinal stenosis...11/13/2008
  Q: I am a female, 54 years old. I am 5'6" and weigh 121 pads. I started having neck pain and lower ...
  A: Marilyn, I will break the report down for you section by section, my comments in caps: A1 T5-T6, ...
Lower back pain11/12/2008
  Q: I have had minor pain in my back for a few years now. 2 weeks ago, I started getting ...
  A: Using the wet/moist heat is a good start to help loosen it. I would check with a good chiropractor ...
reverse curve in neck and curvature of spine11/11/2008
  Q: I just started seeing a chiropractor for the first time last week. The x rays that he took showed ...
  A: Right now, the best thing to do is follow what your chiropractor is doing. He identified the ...
si joint strain11/11/2008
  Q: We are sorry, but Dr. Brendon J. O`Brien, D.C. wasn't able to answer yourI have a Cat 2 SI Joint ...
  A: It sounds as if, coupled with the SI joint strain, you have a strain of the Psoas/Iliacus muscles. ...
Rib Cartilage11/10/2008
  Q: Approx 4 months ago I thought I had pulled some intercostal muscles - severe pain between my ribs, ...
  A: It sounds as if you may have injured the intercostal muscles themselves, causing a "wrinkle" to form ...
Neck11/9/2008
  Q: I've been told that I have no curve to my neck. This was found to be so in an x-ray. My niece also ...
  A: It can be hereditary. A loss of curve can come from a few things; injury, muscle spasm, etc. You ...
Possible Triceps Injury10/31/2008
  Q: I am currently recovering from a broken ankle, and did not lift weights during the first four weeks ...
  A: You may have a partial tear of the Triceps, but I would almost bet that you have a compression ...
Upper arm, wrist pain & numbness10/29/2008
  Q: I'm a 59 year old male not in best of shape. 5'11" 270 lbs. 1 month ago I lifted a 24' extension ...
  A: I sounds as if, in the process of lifting, you caused a strain in the upper back/neck area. The ...
deltoid pain10/26/2008
  Q: I have had pain in my right deltoid for about 8 weeks. This pain is not in the shoulder but feels ...
  A: In the repetition, you are probably causing an overuse injury to the insertion of the deltoid. This ...
Neck Pain and Migraine10/21/2008
  Q: I am a patient of Migraine since my childhood. Now I am 33. Since last two years I am suffering from ...
  A: I would suggest searching out a good chiropractor. Having been seen my medical doctors, it is ...
Neck Pain10/18/2008
  Q: I have neck pain and tension. I saw a chiropractor. He adjusted my neck. I was paying for the ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the tardiness of my reply. It sounds as if it may have ...
Pop in chest doing dips10/17/2008
  Q: A week ago today, I was at the gym and the last exercise my partner and I were doing were bench ...
  A: I would definitely have it checked to make sure you didn't cause a fracture. It most likely is a ...
Serious Back Pain and Restrictions10/15/2008
  Q: I am a male and slightly over 40 years old. Before, for a year, I was getting chiropractic ...
  A: You may need to pursue different options. Chiropractic treatment should not cause pain. You may, ...
CarWreck200510/13/2008
  Q: Hey Paul, I was in a car wreck in 2005. My seat belt wasn't connected properly, the car flipped, ...
  A: I would suggest starting with x rays...that will show any bony involvement. Next would be an MRI to ...
what does this mean?10/7/2008
  Q: I am in the army and I am looking at possible medical discharge. I have had back problems going on 5 ...
  A: It can explain why you have some back issues!!! First, I wouldn't panic over the results. The ...
Posterior Rib Subluxations10/6/2008
  Q: Dr. Newhart, I have been having difficult breathing on my right side for quite some time now. I've ...
  A: I wish I could direct you to someone in Michigan. We see this problem quite frequently...rib ...
Back pain10/6/2008
  Q: my name is Jim, I'm 19 years old and I hurt my back in early April(it's now October). Basically at ...
  A: It sounds as if there may be a muscular component to the problem that needs to be addressed, as well ...
Transitional Vertebra10/5/2008
  Q: I was just recently diagnosed with a transitional vertebra in my L5 S1 area of my spine. I am having ...
  A: All a transitional vertebrae is, is a section that decided it wanted to be part of another section; ...
numbness in my left leg from the thigh down10/3/2008
  Q: for the past 6 months i have been experiencing numbness in my left leg. i am 26 years old and have ...
  A: First...don't panic. There are many causes of pain in the leg. Have it assessed by your GP first; ...
upper back pain10/2/2008
  Q: I am having pain to the left of my spine in my upper back and neck. This is not the first time I ...
  A: First, I feel for you. Pain, especially in this area, sucks...to put it mildly. There are muscles ...
Finger numbness and pain9/29/2008
  Q: A few months ago I noticed that the pinky and ring finger were numb on my left hand. The numbness ...
  A: Without a face to face exam, it would be very difficult to diagnose. But...given your background ...
high blood pressure9/23/2008
  Q: I am taking blood pressure medicine for a year, but it still goes up. I have read, that neck ...
  A: I don't currently know anyone in TN. There are studies out of the University of Chicago that show ...
neck crepitus9/23/2008
  Q: I went to a chiropractor six months ago for mid-back pain. For reasons unknown she adjusted my ...
  A: It sounds as if there is some inflammation in the neck. You can try anti inflammatory medicines ...
very bad pain9/18/2008
  Q: im 18... but for about 2 years now ive had pain in my right should, right by the neck, then it grow ...
  A: It is very hard to diagnose without a proper exam. I would suggest you find a good chiropractor to ...
LBP and MRI Scan Results9/17/2008
  Q: I’m a 56 year old, 5’ 7” and just under 13 stone male who has suffered from LBP for a number of ...
  A: I don't believe your playing days are over!!! But, if you have been a golfer for some time, it ...
Herniated Disc Injury9/10/2008
  Q: I injured my back playing soccer fours months ago. For the first fours weeks I couldn't walk ...
  A: Your injury can be rehabilitated with the right approach. Try to find a practitioner of the ...
Thoracic pain at T7-T89/9/2008
  Q: 4 1/2 years ago I picked up my son and leaned back as I usually did to relieve his back pain. ...
  A: Chances are, the orthopedist wouldn't address the rib issue. I would have the chiropractor "give it ...
back pain9/7/2008
  Q: My son has been experiencing left side back pain for the past couple of days. The pain is worse ...
  A: I would suggest a visit to the family doctor first, to rule out any problems. As long as everything ...
Atlas Orthogonal9/6/2008
  Q: IS it safe to say doctor, that some techniques work better than others on some people?, and is ...
  A: Yes, some techniques work better than others on different patients. Yes, and adjustment of the ...
Shoulder Pain9/5/2008
  Q: My wife is in terrible pain, she had lower back surgery to fix a blown disk. With the back pain she ...
  A: Without a thorough exam, this will be a shot in the dark. She can have a number of things ...
hi8/31/2008
  Q: I had a subluxated neck in april and its almost sep , he said now my neck is ok but the chiropractor ...
  A: Wellness programs are a good idea, if done prudently. I will typically see someone once a month; ...
Three bulged disks.8/28/2008
  Q: Newhart, The bottom three discs in my lumbar spine are bulged. The bottom disc is bulged ...
  A: Patrick, I completely understand your sport and your dilemma. You may want to try a practitioner of ...
Back of Head HEADACHES8/23/2008
  Q: I started having pounding headaches one morning as I was talking to a student at my desk. Once I ...
  A: It sounds as if there may be an alignment problem coupled with muscle tension. When you "pop" you ...
Popping your back8/22/2008
  Q: When a person "POPS or Cracks" their back. What is happening exactly? Is the Annulus filled with air ...
  A: There is Nitrogen gas dissolved in solution in the joint space. When the back "cracks", the ...
Neck Curvature8/18/2008
  Q: I have 2 issues: 1)a straight neck which gives me occasional headaches. As a treatment, my chiro ...
  A: To try to straighten a neck is a bad idea. We, as chiropractors, are only "middle men"; your body ...
excrutiating back pains8/18/2008
  Q: im desperately in need of answers. i have always had a large chest a 38 DD but never any back ...
  A: It sounds as if there is a whiplash type injury. These can affect the muscles, causing the symptoms ...
Left knee/leg/toe pain8/17/2008
  Q: Finally went to Ortho after having sever pain walking since April. Has gotten much worse and now ...
  A: It sounds as if there may be a disc issue in the lower back, or a compression problem in the leg. ...
scoliosis8/16/2008
  Q: Im 14 and have scoliosis. I have back pain after I play sports sometimes. How can I prevent/get rid ...
  A: First, congratulations on not letting it slow you down!! There are many ways to help prevent your ...
right buttock pain radiating into my thigh and leg8/13/2008
  Q: good day! i'm cj and i'm 18 years old. i have this pain since i was 16 years old and i have not seen ...
  A: Ibuprofen can help if there is inflammation involved. It can be a variety of things, from ...
Neck spurs and Degenerating disc8/8/2008
  Q: I have been suffering with a stiff neck (left side) for 8 weeks afer about a month my Chiro took an ...
  A: Spurs and degeneration are not necessarily associated with spurs. They occur when there is a stress ...
Numbness in My Hand8/7/2008
  Q: For about a week now my pinky finger, left hand, has been numb at the tip. Sometimes it spreads to ...
  A: It sounds as if a nerve is pinched somewhere between the neck and hand. I would suggest having a ...
Cracking or popping sound and feel from joints8/1/2008
  Q: For years there often have been a cracking or popping sound from my joints when I move, especially ...
  A: "Noise" from the joints is essentially as described to you but not 100exactly as described!!! In ...
extreme left leg pain and numbeness in foot7/24/2008
  Q: My husband is 36 and for the past 2 weeks has had pain in his left leg and numbness in the ...
  A: There can be a few causes, one of the main ones is a pinched nerve. If he has no other medical ...
Chest Pain7/18/2008
  Q: In June of last summer (2007), I had been weight training and doing lots of various exercises ...
  A: It is possible that you have a fairly good strain in the muscles. A strain, depending on severity, ...
Back Pai7/15/2008
  Q: I have been having pain in my upper back on the left side as well as tightness in left side of chest ...
  A: Without an actual exam, it is a little difficult to diagnose, but I will do my best. Having the ...
Shoulder pain7/14/2008
  Q: I have a daily ache in both of my shoulders specially in the front and sides. I have been to both an ...
  A: It is possible that it is an RSI, and also quite possible from computer work. Without doing an ...
Numbness in Left index Finger7/14/2008
  Q: I went for a massage (by a licensed therapist) and she moved my neck in a way that I had not ever ...
  A: It is possible that what she did may have caused a problem. Massage therapists are not typically ...
chronic upper back, neck, and shoulder pain7/13/2008
  Q: I am 19 years old and when I was 17 i started having intense pain and tension in my upper back, ...
  A: Since you have seen your GP, I would consider visiting a chiropractor. Muscle spasms can pull the ...
How many visits is enough?7/7/2008
  Q: I've been getting regular chiropractic care for the last four months. My chiropractor has taken me ...
  A: In my practice, I never put a timetable on treatment, because after 15 years, I still cannot predict ...
Importance of Costal Cartilage7/4/2008
  Q: I'm considering getting a rhinoplasty and my plastic surgeon mentioned that he will need to get ...
  A: The role of the cartilage is to connect the ribs to the sternum, kind of a necessary body part in my ...
Back pain6/30/2008
  Q: I am a fit 27 year old woman. 5'3, 110 lbs, I eat right, work out, but struggle with chronic back ...
  A: Your massage therapist is on the right track...strengthening your core. You may have spasm of the ...
golfer's elbow6/27/2008
  Q: Newhart, I am doing research for an article about golfer's elbow. My question is, what activities, ...
  A: Any activity with repetitive motion, tennis, golf, using a hammer., etc. Golfer's elbow is ...
HAND/ARM PAIN AND NUMBNESS6/26/2008
  Q: I have had this for some time and attributed it to carpal tunnel syndrome. It has gotten bad in the ...
  A: It is hard to diagnose over the internet, but I will do my best. Do you have a repetitive motion ...
chronic hamstring6/24/2008
  Q: I have a bulging discs in L2, L5 of my lower back. I have had chronic hamstring issues and any ...
  A: You may, in addition to your current treatment, want to visit a chiropractor to have your alignment ...
neck pain/grinding and headaches6/23/2008
  Q: I am a 48 year old female. I fell on my shoulder about 4 years ago. I did not receive medical ...
  A: It is very possible. You may have, in effect, caused a whiplash type injury. I would see a good ...
cracking joints??6/18/2008
  Q: okay so i have been cracking my joints for a few years. It started with my knuckles, then my back, ...
  A: Many times things "crack" to relieve tension because there may be a misalignment in that area ...
Right Rib Pain6/17/2008
  Q: I have had this pain for about 8 months now but it has increased significantly in that amount of ...
  A: You may have a slight dislocation in that area, and with constant use, swelling accompanying it. I ...
Radiculopathy6/11/2008
  Q: I have been diagnoised with sciatica, and herniated lumber l5 -s1. When ever I do my exercise in ...
  A: Radiculopathy is pain, felt from the spine, usually down the arm or leg. Your radiculopathy is the ...
upper back/tight neck 24yrs old-athletic6/11/2008
  Q: I'm very athletic I work at a allstar cheerleading gym atleast 20hrs a week and I'm on my feet alot ...
  A: If you can find a chiropractor to work with you, it may help your problem considerably. It may be a ...
Lower back pain6/9/2008
  Q: i have suffered from a bad lower back for a while, i believe i had sciatica and it has gradually ...
  A: Postural muscles (core muscles) when tight, can restrict your movement as you have described, and ...
Myofascial Pain6/4/2008
  Q: I experienced a reoccurrence of myofascial pain in my upper back, neck, and shoulder (left side) and ...
  A: The combination of low level laser and Activator would work wonderfully together. We use the laser ...
chest/rib injury6/4/2008
  Q: I am a 60 year old lady in general good health. 5 days ago I leaned over the arm rest of my office ...
  A: I would insist on an xray. It is possible, even with strong health bones, to cause one to crack. ...
MRI reading5/29/2008
  Q: I had an MRI done due to back pain and I dont understand it 1.severly limited study due to patient ...
  A: These reports are great; almost written so even doctors cannot understand!!! I will break it down ...
lower back injury5/29/2008
  Q: so I have this problem with my lower back that has been coming back for some months now. Well it ...
  A: The knee issue can be from the back...it sounds as if there is mechanical locking in the lower ...
pain in between my shoulder blade5/28/2008
  Q: I am 42 years old and I am physically active. I have been doing vertical dance aka pole dancing ...
  A: The pain can most assuredly be related. The muscles used for your activity the most are the ...
numbness of left leg during sleep5/23/2008
  Q: I'm 37, and I'm trying to stop cracking my neck after years of doing so. For months (at least since ...
  A: Firstly, I would see your family physician to rule out any medical problems. If none, then I would ...
headache / spine5/22/2008
  Q: i am a 46 year old male, in good health and good shape. i exercise regularly, play full court ...
  A: The overhead motion of the butterfly stroke probably aggravated your neck condition. In addition to ...
Back Injury & Recovery5/20/2008
  Q: Paul Newhart, My name is Ryan and I am a 24 year old who is in excellent shape, but I did have ...
  A: I would get myself checked by a chiropractor as soon as possible. In the meantime, I would used ...
Pulled Hamstring?5/19/2008
  Q: I injured my hamstring last Thursday running sprints at track practice. I felt a sharp pain and ...
  A: We actually just had a patient in our office present with this same condition. He saw his family ...
torticullis (sp?)5/18/2008
  Q: I recently had a very major bout of torticullis (sp gets me) and ever since then (2-3 weeks) my ...
  A: If there is inflammation in the area of a nerve root in the lower cervical spine, a neurologist can ...
L4-L5 Disc Buldge and pain in right leg5/14/2008
  Q: I am 26 yrs old and my MRI report shows minor diffuse disc buldge at L4-L5. That happened while i ...
  A: Two approaches that might help: Do a search for Psoas/Iliopsoas syndrome, and the stretches for it. ...
Shoulder Pain - Top Of Shoulder5/4/2008
  Q: Recently I woke up and I guess I had slept wrong or something..anyway my right shoulder was hurting. ...
  A: The sitting position as described can aggravate that group of muscles; they are held in one position ...
crepitus5/2/2008
  Q: I am 23 and am having cracking when i roll my right shoulder. it is not happening on the left, and i ...
  A: It sounds as if the joint, in taking some extra stress from the bag, has some inflammation. You ...
tennis elbow5/1/2008
  Q: Can a chiropractor help tennis elbow? I am a golfer and injured my arm last fall. After two months ...
  A: A chiropractor can usually help. If you can find one geared towards sports and rehab., all the ...
Bad knee-Possible meniscal tera4/19/2008
  Q: I'm a very kin runner/mountain biker (run 4 miles every other day) and was diagnosed with meniscus ...
  A: Congratulations on having that driving spirit!!! Depending on the tear and it's severity, they may ...
right side rib pain4/17/2008
  Q: I will try and describe my problem as clear as I can. About a week ago I felt this sudden shooting ...
  A: The bear hug maneuver quite possibly is what caused or contributed to this. There is a reason it ...
Back Pain4/15/2008
  Q: I have alot of back pain on the lower left and right side of my back usually right on the side of my ...
  A: If you can find a chiropractor that works with soft tissue injuries, it can be quite beneficial. We ...
neck cracking4/9/2008
  Q: Dr. Newhart, I was wondering about that cracking sound made during a chiropractic adjustment. Does ...
  A: The sound is nitrogen gas that is dissolved in the fluid of the joint. When the joint is moved, the ...
Numbness all the way down left leg4/7/2008
  Q: Newhart, I feel helpless right now with my leg being completely numb down the left side of left leg ...
  A: Don't let the actions of one chiropractor be your judge of us all; we have our bad apples too. It ...
Neck pain after arm injury4/6/2008
  Q: I am having alot of neck pain. A strange popping sound and headaches. I did go to a chiropractor but ...
  A: First, don't let a bad experience with a chiropractor turn you off to chiropractic...we have our ...
Vertigo and neck pain4/3/2008
  Q: In October of 2007, I believe I pulled a neck muscle doing stomach crunches (hands behind head). I ...
  A: A neck issue can most assuredly cause a problem with vertigo. There is a very close association ...
Burning sensation in right leg4/1/2008
  Q: I have been feeling an intermitant burning sensation in my right leg just above my knee to the right ...
  A: It can be something as simple as an irritated nerve to a case of shingles coming on. You may want ...
L5 Disc Herniation3/31/2008
  Q: I just received the analysis of the MRI that was performed on me last Friday. Basically, my L5 ...
  A: Unfortunately, with a herniation that large, your only recourse may be a surgery. They may try a ...
neck/upper back pain, numbness in hands3/28/2008
  Q: Dr. Newhart, About a week ago, I noticed some pain in my upper back that felt as if someone was ...
  A: I would try and find a good chiropractor. You describe signs of the traditional "pinched nerve". ...
Painful Popping3/24/2008
  Q: I'm going to try to describe this as clearly as possible; when I rotate my left shoulder and/or arm ...
  A: It would seem that sitting at a higher desk has your arms in a perpetual "shrug". This may be ...
Numbness in my big toe3/21/2008
  Q: I am experiencing numbness in my right big toe, Knowing that i fractured it few years back. the ...
  A: If the fracture didn't quite heal or heal right, by the end of the day, inflammation is setting in ...
Proper Alignment Of Neck, Back, Spine, And Shoulders3/17/2008
  Q: My name is Mikhail. I have been having back, neck, shoulder, and spine problems ever since I pulled ...
  A: First, do not be afraid of your head falling off...that is not a possibility!!! Secondly, you might ...
neck/shoulder pain3/16/2008
  Q: I had x-rays done that showed the following: There is a straightening of the normal cervical ...
  A: You may want to find a good chiropractor to help with mechanical problems. The tingling may be from ...
Upper back pain3/15/2008
  Q: If been having pain all around my shoulder blade and it hurts all the time and ive triend taking hot ...
  A: You may want to find a good chiropractor. In your line of exercise, there can be quite a bit of ...
Back problems3/15/2008
  Q: Dr, I am a veteran. I have always had issues with back pain while exercising. I was reviewing my ...
  A: If noting at all is done to correct the situation, that area will continue to degenerate and the ...
Finger Numbness3/13/2008
  Q: I have been experiencing numbness in my left hand (2 fingers, ring and small finger). I am a fairly ...
  A: You may want to have it evaluated by a good chiropractor. It can most assuredly be caused by a ...
low back and numbness in left foot3/12/2008
  Q: Injured my lower back working out about 6 months ago. The symptoms of this pain were consistent ...
  A: First, have no fear. A good chiropractor will assess your condition, and go after the CAUSE. Your ...
my back!3/6/2008
  Q: I am a 15 year old male. I play three sports a year, and especially during baseball season (i ...
  A: Congratulations on the sports!!! Keep up the good work. You may want to find a good chiropractor ...
constant neck popping3/1/2008
  Q: Newhart, I would appreciate your advice regarding a persistent popping sound I hear when turning ...
  A: First, I am glad you went in for treatment. Never let anyone "crack" your neck that has no ...
Misaligned Rib?2/27/2008
  Q: I have a pain that is dead center in my back when i sit down on hard surfaces, and a lot of times ...
  A: Muscles will tense and relax, changing the way the ribs move, referring back to the Thoracic spine, ...
sleeping disorder2/26/2008
  Q: I'm in my mid fifties in good health but have had a sleeping disorder for about six years. I've done ...
  A: First, I cannot tell if 17 degrees is proper for you as opposed to 31. 31 degrees is the ...
compression fracture2/25/2008
  Q: Six weeks ago I suffered two compression fractures in my T-9 and T-11 vertebrae during rowing ...
  A: You may want to hold off on the brace. Evidence has shown that wearing a brace (usually from rib ...
rib heads2/25/2008
  Q: I have rib heads that keep going out and it makes it hard to breath. I have spondylosis and ...
  A: Adjusting can usually realign the rib heads; we do it all the time in our office. One of the ...
Neck/Shoulder pain2/24/2008
  Q: I recently had an MRI on my neck due to pain in the lower neck and shoulder region. The results from ...
  A: Physiotherapy is always the first step to see if inflammation is part of the problem. They will ...
ball chair2/19/2008
  Q: I am looking into getting an ergonomic chair but I am wondering if the ball chairs are as good as ...
  A: Sitting in and of itself presents your body with a whole host of problems. The ball chair does seem ...
Disc Bulge? how serious is this?2/18/2008
  Q: i was doing amateur wrestling and i wasnt warmed up enough or that energetic during the match, I had ...
  A: Your doctor is right in that a great majority of people have disc "symptoms" on MRI; but you are ...
severe hip pain that comes and goes...2/18/2008
  Q: You probably get this one a lot but I'm suffering from a recurrent pain in my hips that comes and ...
  A: First...I definitely feel for you!!! Sciatic pain SUCKS...plain and simple!!! Sciatic pain can be ...
Sciatica?2/15/2008
  Q: I injured my back in September 07 (twisted whilst pulling my chair in). Since then I have seen (no ...
  A: X ray would be your first phaze. If misalignment is present, that needs to be addressed, as well as ...
L1 Compression Fracture2/14/2008
  Q: I suffered an L1 Compression fracture a little over three years ago on a military parachuting ...
  A: When a compression fracture occurs, the soft tissues surrounding it also :compress"; the fascia, a ...
lower back pain (left side)2/8/2008
  Q: Approximately three weeks ago, I was playing some softball and while running to catch a ball, I felt ...
  A: It sounds as if you have a combination of things happening: Sprain/strain in the sacroiliac joint, ...
Compression fracture2/2/2008
  Q: Three weeks ago I fell while lifting weights and suffered compression fractures in my T-9 and T-11. ...
  A: I would follow the ortho's directions to a tee....even though they are mild, they are still ...
Chronic 4th Phalanx Medial Aspect Pain2/2/2008
  Q: Newhart, Signalment: 21y/o, male, 80kg, 6ft 6", No long term medication. History: Chronic back pain ...
  A: You may have a repetitive motion injury involving the right wrist out to the MCP joint. You say you ...
Horrible Discomfort in Upper Back, Lower Neck1/29/2008
  Q: I was seriously injured by a night club bouncer two and a half years ago. I was dragged up some ...
  A: The feeling you describe, being stuck in an improper position, is probably 100%accurate. We deal ...
Dull pain and numbing sensation in upper back1/26/2008
  Q: Dr., A couple of months ago I started having a dull pain or numbing sensation in my upper left ...
  A: It can be any number of things; first and foremost, see your family doctor and have any medical ...
frequency of chiropractic visits1/24/2008
  Q: My wife has started seeing a chiropractor. He is having her come every day ($100/day) and estimates ...
  A: I have to agree...it doesn't sound right to me either. I have had someone come in daily; this is ...
my back1/23/2008
  Q: 2 ˝ years ago, I was working out at the gym and long story short, the cartilage at the tip of my ...
  A: Your massage therapist is right: you have to get up and moving. take things slowly; don't just ...
muscle spasms in my lower back1/22/2008
  Q: I have had some pretty immobilizing muscle spasms in my back (mostly noticed on my lower right) in ...
  A: The beauty of going to a PT is that he will exercise you to death!!! But, it may do nothing for ...
lower back & side pain1/21/2008
  Q: I woke up one morning with a very sore lower back? I went to the doctor who sent me to phyiso and ...
  A: If you haven't tried a chiropractor, I would do so. Physiotherapy does a great job of exercising a ...
migraines and tingling.1/19/2008
  Q: I've suffered from migraines for yrs. recently diagnosed as status Migrainous as well as tingling in ...
  A: It may very well help with the stiffness and migraines. Recent research has shown a previously ...
Herniated Discs1/14/2008
  Q: I herniated the L4 and L5 discs in my back about 4 years ago. In March of 2004 I saw a specialist ...
  A: Your first and best bet is to find a specialist in the McKenzie Method ...
CTS1/14/2008
  Q: I developed Carpal Tunnel in both wrists almost 10 years ago. Over the past few years I have had no ...
  A: You may have a repetitive motion injury to the arms, which is very treatable. This can cause an ...
Hereditary Extra Ribs1/14/2008
  Q: I am a 33 year old female with an extra set of cervical ribs/one is malformed on my left side and ...
  A: It wouldn't hurt to have her evaluated by a good chiropractor. He can asses if there may be any ...
neck and back pain1/12/2008
  Q: about 2 months ago i had a snowboarding accident where i broke off my 2 front teeth. after about 2 ...
  A: Have you ever had an x-ray to make sure you had no fractures? This is very common with this type of ...
Occasional back twinge1/11/2008
  Q: I have been getting bouts of back pain. It doesn't seem to correlate to any heavy lifting or strain, ...
  A: First, let me apologize for the lateness of my reply; I was on vacation and forgot to set an away ...
Small Tear in Disc L4 & L5 with spurs1/10/2008
  Q: I read on your website that basically there is nothing that can be done to "repair" this since it is ...
lower back / leg pain1/10/2008
  Q: Lately I have been following a normal workout routine trying to get back into shape. I'm 20 years ...
pain on right side of body1/9/2008
  Q: For the past six or seven months I have had pain on the right side of my body. I have swelling on ...
just hurt my neck1/8/2008
  Q: I have just hurt my neck and im worried, I was sitting on an arm chair and my head feel forward.My ...
  A: First, let me apologize for the lateness of my reply. I was on vacation and forgot to set an away ...
chest pain intensified by neck movement1/7/2008
  Q: I was redoing my floors a month ago, on my hands and knees srapping and laying tile. Immediatlty ...
  A: First, let me apologize for my tardiness in answering; I was on vacation and forgot to set an away ...
neck/back1/7/2008
  Q: I have a 15 yr old daughter who is a gymnast, and took quite a big crash today. She was doing a ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for the lateness of my reply. I was on vacation, and forgot to set ...
NECK PAIN AND SUBSEQUENT NUMBNESS SURFACE RT. THUMB1/5/2008
  Q: NEWHART....I HAVE HAD PAIN LT. NECK, LT. SHOULDER, AND SOME TURNING NECK TO RT. TODAY I HAD MY 2ND ...
bicep pain1/3/2008
  Q: Doctor, I have a pain in my bicep that does not seem to be a tendon tear--that is, all the tests ...
  A: Without an actual exam it is very difficult. Even when doing the orthopedic testing, it can show as ...
upper chest pain and numbness1/3/2008
  Q: I have been having a numbing sensation in my upper chest right underneath my collar bone for about 3 ...
  A: It is quite possibly a pinched nerve, but, even though it stays consistent, have it checked by your ...
Numbness in right thumb1/3/2008
  Q: i am 15 and I play the baritone saxaphone in my High School marching band. The baritone saxaphone is ...
  A: You may have to ride this one out!!!! You have a pressure injury to the nerve in the thumb...very ...
Neck Pain after Chiropractic Care12/27/2007
  Q: I am new to the chiropractic world. I am very active in sports and go to the gym regularly. About ...
  A: Some amount of "pain" is normal with the body restoring itself to more normal function. Does your ...
major12/18/2007
  Q: Is sports science a good major to pursue before chiropractics, and what other careers can you pursue ...
  A: I am not sure what all is entailed in sports science per se., but I can tell you your focus will be ...
Hand Pain12/17/2007
  Q: I've been having pain off and on in my hands/wrists. I can't put any real weight on them without a ...
  A: You may want to have them evaluated by a chiropractor. The positioning for piano playing is quite ...
neck pain12/16/2007
  Q: Last night, as I was going to bed, I noticed a little pain in my neck when turning to the left. Then ...
  A: Neck pain and stiffness can have any number of causes. If you don't have a chiropractor, I would ...
neck cracking12/14/2007
  Q: "Hello, The question I have is I have had a cracking sound in my neck when I turn it. It is so ...
  A: It is normal, when treatment is started, to hear some noise and to experience tightness. Are you ...
Upper Back Pain12/10/2007
  Q: I have been researching this type of pain online. Some sound really close to what I am experiencing ...
  A: It can be a sign of anything....however, your most likely cause is a muscle sprain dating back to ...
shortened inspiration12/5/2007
  Q: I am almost 40 years old. I have this condition for the past 3 years. I feel shortend breathing, ...
  A: It sounds as if there could be a couple of things happening. Trigger points in the Rhomboids and ...
skiing injury11/27/2007
  Q: Dr. Newhart, About 5 days ago I was skiing in the backcountry up in Alaska. I was probably ...
  A: My first step would be an xray to make sure there was no damage and/or fracture. If you visit a ...
Pain in arm and fingers11/23/2007
  Q: I had a test called the BioPhotonic Scanner that is to measure antioxidant levels in the body. It ...
  A: I don't think the scanner had anything to do with it. It is possible you were in a position that ...
Sciatica11/20/2007
  Q: Newhart, I am nineteen years old and was recently diagnosed with Sciatica by my doctor (general ...
  A: Laura, I can sympathize with you. Even chiropractors get pain, and sciatica and low back pain ...
Pain in right shoulder blade11/19/2007
  Q: I have pain in right shoulder blade when I lay on my shoulder blade in bed or sit on a couch and put ...
  A: Have you injured the shoulder or played sports? It can be a number of things ranging from a simple ...
Pain on side, hips, back, ribs11/19/2007
  Q: I go to bed with no pain but wake up with pain in my side, ribs, back & hips after a couple of ...
  A: There can be quite a few causes. One of the most common is tightness in the Psoas muscles. If you ...
Neck Pain, Headaches, etc11/18/2007
  Q: In early May I saw a chiropractor who began treatments with a HOT pack on the entire back for 8 to ...
  A: Don't judge all chiropractors by two that hurt you. Do you know anyone that sees a chiropractor, ...
wrist tendonitis11/14/2007
  Q: I've been struggling with tendonitis in my wrist(s) for almost a year. I spend a lot of time at the ...
  A: We have had excellent success with adjusting the wrist, and using low level laser therapy. A ...
Sternum Fracture11/10/2007
  Q: Paul Newhart, I am a 17 year old high school senior. I workout everyday and was recently working out ...
  A: The way to check for a fracture is to re-xray. Fractures may not show on an xray for about 10 days. ...
shoulder/sore spot in back11/10/2007
  Q: first off my left shoulder is lower than my right when i rotate my left shoulder i can feel some ...
  A: It sounds as if the muscles at the edge of the shoulder blade (Rhomboids), may be overly tight. ...
shoulder dislocation and neck pains11/9/2007
  Q: i dislocated my right shoulder a year ago for the 2nd time, i have been receiving phsiotherapy ...
  A: You may want to check with a chiropractor. The physical therapist is only addressing the muscle ...
Si joint instability and piriformis pain11/2/2007
  Q: It has taken three years to get to this point. I have an SI joint that is unstable and everytime I ...
  A: The MRI is a good place to start. Controlling the Piriformis spasm, and working on the ligaments of ...
Severe Tightness in my hamstrings, rotated pelvis, and back pain11/1/2007
  Q: When I was in junior high I grew almost 5 inches in one year and soon after I experienced problems ...
  A: I would find a good chiropractor to address these issues. First, tight Hamstrings will rock the ...
chronic back and neck popper10/31/2007
  Q: I've been popping my neck and back for 40 years (I am now 44 years of age). For the past year or two ...
  A: "Popping" your joints normally is not bad...however, the spine misaligns in a backward motion ...
Clicking neck.10/31/2007
  Q: I am 21 years old and I just recently found out from a chiropractor that the top of my spine ( ...
  A: The least invasive path, chiropractic, is your best bet. Your body will put the spine where it ...
middle back pain10/29/2007
  Q: a long time ago someone hugged me so hard it hurt. the next day my middle back was so sore I could ...
  A: It sounds as if there may be a misalignment of a rib, at the very least. Worst case scenario is ...
severe knee cracking and pain10/27/2007
  Q: My knees have suddenly started cracking and popping... The right one has been worse but now the ...
  A: It sounds as if there could be a muscle imbalance pulling the knees out of balance. You may want to ...
Chiropractic practices10/26/2007
  Q: I have been going to a chiropractor 3 times a week for 3 months. The chiropractor does the same few ...
  A: 3 times a week for 3 months, if doing the same thing and getting no results, would be inappropriate. ...
inflamed disc10/25/2007
  Q: How long does inflamed disc pain usually take to diminish with chiropractic care? Is this ...
  A: It all depends how quickly you heal...we have seen inflammation clear fairly quickly or linger. We ...
My Sons neck is crooked.10/25/2007
  Q: My son woke up yesterday morning complaining about his neck. He said he felt it pop and we kept him ...
  A: You may want a good chiropractor to have a look at it. It is a condition called torticollis. It is ...
Sacro-Illiac and Piriformis symptoms10/22/2007
  Q: I'm a 24 year old female and have had pain in my buttocks, hip and around the SI joint for almost ...
  A: Frequent UTI's wouldn't necessarily lead to infection in the SI joint; however, any internal problem ...
exercise injury & back/sternum pain10/21/2007
  Q: I was working out and did some ,what I've heard referred to as, Russian twists: where you sit on the ...
  A: A doctor could give you meds for the pain, but it may only cover the symptoms, not fix the cause. ...
My hip pops10/18/2007
  Q: This has been going on for probably a year now. Near the beginning it would happen every once in a ...
  A: Without an exam, it is difficult to pinpoint the exact cause, but it sounds as if there is a muscle ...
inversion table10/14/2007
  Q: Will this table help or assist in back pain. I was told that decompression will be beneficial to ...
  A: First, I would like to apologize for my tardiness in answering. There was a death in our family and ...
neck10/13/2007
  Q: on my neck there are two muscles on the right and the left. My left muscel is WAY bigger then the ...
pain in deltoid10/13/2007
  Q: A few of months ago I fell off a razor scooter playing with my 9 yr. old daughter, I was going ...
chest injury10/11/2007
  Q: I recently injured myself in training for Mixed Martial Arts. I'm a professional fighter new in my ...
Hand pain10/10/2007
  Q: i have had pain in the top of my hand right above my metacarpals before on my right hand that pain ...
spraind muscle or slipped rib?10/9/2007
  Q: I'm beginner golfer, started 3 weeks ago. During one of the practice, I smacked the ball and felt ...
  A: You may want to find a chiropractor to help on this one. You can have a rib subluxation, a strain ...
back pain10/4/2007
  Q: ! i'm 13 years old. the last week i have been suffering from lower back pain it is an acheand when i ...
  A: Jade, You may want to check with a chiropractor. We see many young women in our office, that are ...
Foraminal Stenosis10/3/2007
  Q: My 15 yr old son recently had an MRI, due to his lower back pain with some minor numbness in left ...
  A: It may. But, you may want to check with a chiropractor that does traction, or decompression ...
costalchondritis or rib dislocated & L1 L2 herniated disc10/1/2007
  Q: I have a herniated disc L1 L2 which gives me numbness outer rt thigh, hip pain, low abdominal pain, ...
  A: OMT and chiropractic are both done very differently. The "slamming" you describe is common, but an ...
X-Ray(s) and Protruding disk(s)10/1/2007
  Q: Newhart: Will a protruding disk show up on an X-Ray(s)? Or only on an MRI. ????? Thank you, ...
  A: What shows on x-rays are narrowing of the disc space, and what is called a "vacuum phenomenon". It ...
Chondromalacia Patellae due to Inner thighs weakness9/29/2007
  Q: I walk up last week suddenly with knee pain, unable to use the stairs, walk for more than five ...
  A: The ASO titre means that there is a Strep infection going on...the level should come down with ...
serious or not?9/26/2007
  Q: Newhart, Thanks very much for fielding this question. If I can do anything for you regarding real ...
  A: Do you have a chiropractor? If not, you may want to visit one. It sounds as if you have strained: ...
no use of arm9/25/2007
  Q: I had my rotator cuff/bicep tendon repaired 5 months and still cant use the arm.I have no ROM and ...
  A: You did not mention whether you had any rehab of the shoulder to help restore motion and strength. ...
Leg Pain9/23/2007
  Q: You know that initial feeling you get when you hit your elbow and it hurts and everyone says you hit ...
  A: It sounds as if you are having irritation of one of the branches of the sciatic nerve. Sciatic pain ...
portion below ankle hurts9/21/2007
  Q: Question Hello Dr O'Brien, All these days I used to run on the treadmill in the gym but I like ...
  A: If you are running on a road, the angle of the road can make the legs, heels, etc. hurt. There is a ...
Becoming a Chiropractor9/20/2007
  Q: This summer I have experienced the benefits of chiropractic treatment for what is called 'lock ...
  A: Congratulations on your choice!!! One way to find out more is to ask you chiropractor. He may let ...
Left Flank Pain9/18/2007
  Q: I'm a 27 year old male with no substantial injury of note. I have been experiencing lower-mid back ...
  A: I would first check with a family doctor to rule out any kidney or other internal organ issues. ...
How long should I go to the chiropractor for a herneated disc?9/16/2007
  Q: I am 49 yrs. old., 5'4" and 137 lbs. I have been going to a chiropractor since the last week of May ...
  A: A normal course of treatment in our office would have you tapering off as your condition improves. ...
middle back pain/cracking9/13/2007
  Q: Dr. Newhart. I have been having pain and discomfort in the middle of my back, right about where the ...
  A: It sounds as if you have a bit of a muscle weakness, even though you weight train. You may want to ...
HELP!9/7/2007
  Q: I have been experiencing back pain for a while now. I am 24 years old and in very good shape. It ...
  A: Many things can cause radiating pain. If you haven't seen a family doctor, please do so, just to ...
Left Knee9/7/2007
  Q: I have a problem with my left knee! I train in Karate and have been doing so for the past 12 years. ...
  A: Clicks can be a sign of nothing, or something. And the lack of pain doesn't necessarily mean that ...
Neck Injury? Back Injury???Confused!!!9/7/2007
  Q: I woke up one morning, my back felt stiff, not in pain. So I usually stand in one place with my feet ...
  A: If tension was relieved, it probably wasn't a bad thing. Your spine will "crack" and "pop" on it's ...
neck and back pain9/3/2007
  Q: althought at the time I noticed no pain in my legs and ham strings(apparently this lower body ...
  A: It very well may be hypermobility; without hands on it is difficult to say. Many things can cause ...
upperback/neck/shoulder problem8/31/2007
  Q: I have an upper back problem, started with a trapezius injury leading to nerve damage. After lots ...
  A: First...Congratulations on tackling the weight loss!! You will find that as the weight drops off, ...
L5 herniation with radicular symptoms8/25/2007
  Q: I am a 33 year old NYC paramedic and am currently planning to enlist with a contract for Ranger ...
  A: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it MAY cause you problems given the rigors of military ...
CHRONIC NECK PAIN8/23/2007
  Q: I have recently finished the second round of radio nerve ablation and have been told I have pinched ...
  A: A trip to a chiropractor can be helpful. Try to find one that specializes in the McKenzie ...
Bike Injury/Back and Neck pain8/23/2007
  Q: On Aug. 4th I had a mountain biking accident. I was going downhill way too fast and ended up ...
  A: Absolutely get an x-ray, not only for lung and rib problems, but to make sure you do not have a ...
small upper thoracic hump and back pain.8/23/2007
  Q: Newhart, Over the past year I have developed pain in my upper back (soft tissue) followed by the ...
  A: First, by all means, switch to a more caring doctor (whether your a switching MD's or DC). There is ...
Numb thumb8/21/2007
  Q: I am 15 years old and since Aug. 20 i have had a numb thumb. I first noticd that my thumb was numb ...
  A: First, I am sorry for the delay on the answer...I was on vacation, which means no phone, no ...
Neck8/17/2007
  Q: I recently started lifting weights and now my neck is very soar and stiff and it hurts a lot ...
  A: I would start with some ice; 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. Repeat 3 times. An anti ...
numb fingers8/12/2007
  Q: Newhart, I have recently been experiencing numbness and tingling of my little finger, my ring finger ...
  A: There can be a few different causes for you symptoms. RSI doesn't necessarily have to be from power ...
Numbness Mystery - Any Ideas?8/9/2007
  Q: You know how when you're carrying a bunch a heavy groceries, you just kinda grab them all at once ...
  A: You're right...it is creepy:) Just kidding. In all seriousness, you probably injured the nerve by ...
shoulder pain8/3/2007
  Q: Dr. Newhart, I am a water polo player and am experiencing shoulder pain after shooting the ball. ...
  A: It can be anything from a strain to a tear. The area you describe has one of the rotator cuff ...
stress fractures8/1/2007
  Q: Dr. Newhart, I am a competitive runner/triathlete, and have experienced repetitive stress fractures ...
  A: Without being able to do a physical examination on you it would be difficult to say what your ...
right rib pain7/23/2007
  Q: my name is Jesus, im a 15 year old male. Now that is summer i have been trying to lose weight, but i ...
  A: It could be a number of things: A strain in the rib area, or it could be a "side-sticker"....a ...
sciatica7/15/2007
  Q: i am suffering from sciatica pain since 15 march 2007. age 35/weight 60kg/ build normal. No accident ...
  A: You may want to check with a chiropractor. Sciatic pain usually responds quite well to chiropractic ...
occipital pain7/1/2007
  Q: I fel a few years ago and after being adjusted by a chiropractor, I had a unbearable pain in my ...
  A: First, don't let a bad experience by a chiropractor scare you away; we have our god and bad, just ...
Lower Back Dull Ache6/14/2007
  Q: I am currently experiencing a lower back/butt dull ache. I run 4 days per week at a good pace on the ...
  A: Sorry I didn't respond quickly...computer issues :). Running, supposedly, is the worst thing we can ...
dependability of Chiropracting occupation?6/14/2007
  Q: I have been researching chiropractic and I am interested. I can really see myself working as a ...
  A: I have worked for others as a chiropractor, and as self-employed, and i can tell you self employed ...
spine popping6/7/2007
  Q: for quite some time now my spine makes a clicking noise very often when i make any kind of movement ...
  A: Our bodies are amazing items; when something is "stuck" 9 times out of 10 our body can fix it. ...
icing6/7/2007
  Q: a chiro that ive went to has recommended icing with a cup of ice and a towel around that with the ...
  A: The ice massage is indicated for many chronic conditions. One way to explain how it works is: When ...
Children5/31/2007
  Q: My x wants to take my 10 and 9 year old to a chiropractor just because his new wife and her 3 kids ...
  A: It isn't a bad idea to have them checked; children, being active and "bouncy" MAY need an ...

All Questions in This Category

Chiropractors

Dr. Paul Newhart

Top Expert on this page