Choosing Alternative Therapies/What expert can help me make progress?

Question
Hi My name is Melissa, and I have an autoimmune disease. I am interested in healing my leaky gut and losing weight, what modality would be good for me to figure out how to get back in shape? I have a functional medicine nurse whose helped me figure out my food sensitives, and what supplements can me, but I falter in motivation to lose weight out of fear of wearing myself out, and inertia by not having much luck in the past. Thanks for your time!

Answer
Hello, Melissa,

This type of question doesn't have an easy answer. You will need to do a lot of research. Here are some places to start:

http://www.drmercola.com
http://www.naturalnews.com

I am currently reading a book by Daniel G Amen, MD. He says that if he maps the activity in the brain, he can tell more about what kind of supplements and diet will help a person lose weight. I do not agree with all his recommendations, but I do most of them. In particular, he thinks egg yolks are bad, and canola oil is good. I emphatically disagree with both. Canola is VERY bad and most of it is genetically engineered. Dr. Amen never mentions genetically engineered foods, at least not yet. A person needs to stay away from genetically engineered foods, artificial sweeteners, monosodium glutimate, and with leaky gut, probably glutin. Also, it would be helpful to build up intestinal flora, which can be done by eating fermented foods. I like kefir, kim chee, sauerkraut, kombucha, and any kind of fermented vegetables.

Dr. Amen has a questionnaire on his site that will provide much of the information that one can get from the SPECT test. The SPECT test is expensive, and requires a person to go to his office. But the questionnaire is helpful.

I had leaky gut at one time, and it's healed, but I honestly can't tell you why. I just improved what I was doing, and at some point, it went away.

Losing weight permanently is very difficult. I recommend you take Dr. Mercola's nutritional type test. Don't go on a low fat diet. A low fat diet will cause you to retain fat. Go on a low carb diet. If you are a carb type, eat mostly raw and lightly cooked vegetables. Also, you can try the Atkins diet, though he doesn't condemn artificial sweeteners like he should, but he wrote over a decade ago, and we know more now. Atkins brand foods tend to have monosodium glutimate in them.

There are good fats a person should be getting. These include butter, egg yolks, coconut oil, palm oil, macadamia nut oil, and olive oil. Coconut oil is very good for cooking, including "deep frying". It can be stored outside the refrigerator. Olive oil should not be used for cooking. When buying olive oil, be careful because some manufacturers cut it with unhealthy oils. Stay from "vegetable oils".

You didn't say what kind of autoimmune disease you have. But there are specific treatments for specific ones.

Be careful also of certain methods for calming the nerves and brain. I do not recommend hypnosis, eastern style meditation, EFT, yoga, or biofeedback. These all have possible unacceptable spiritual consequences.

And of course, stay away from pharmaceuticals of all kinds. They treat symptoms, they're toxic, and they don't work very well.

So basically all I can do is point you in a direction. You will have to do the research and decide what will work for you. I hope this helps.

Choosing Alternative Therapies

PatG